Chit Chat

Eye patch for pink eye?

My bullshit meter is going off. Our plant manager has only been here for 9 months, and he's called in sick more times that I have in 6.5 years. His reasons for calling in have IMO been suspicious. He was out for an entire week with food poisoning. He then had kidney stones. Then his mom was sick. Then he had to babysit his neice (and suspicious came in the next day with a new car he had purchased the week before). Then many head colds have followed. 

Yesterday he called sick saying he had pink eye. I thought it was strange that he and his eye seemed fine on Monday - he's the kind of person that talks non-stop about an ailment. 

He came in today wearing an eye patch. He says his doctor advised him to wear it. My theory is that there's actually nothing wrong with his eye, and that he's wearing the eye patch to cover up the fact that his eye is fine. But it's very possible I could be wrong. Has anyone ever heard of someone wearing an eye patch for pink eye?

Re: Eye patch for pink eye?

• Nope, never heard of an eye patch for pink eye. Hell, the last time I had it (year and a half ago), the urgent care doc prescribed me a super strong antibiotic (in case it was bacterial and not viral) and told me I was fine to go to work that day, despite my eye looking super gross. It can come on pretty quick (mine was overnight) and maybe since you all work in food production he didn't want to come in, but I've never heard of an eye patch for pink eye.
  • The plot thickens. 

One of the supervising chefs just came to my desk to show me what she looked up on her phone. According to WebMD, you're not supposed to cover your eye or wear a patch if you have pink eye! 
  • The plot thickens. 

One of the supervising chefs just came to my desk to show me what she looked up on her phone. According to WebMD, you're not supposed to cover your eye or wear a patch if you have pink eye! 
    Yeah this is what I thought. It needs to...seep... or something.

• The plot thickens. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure covering it with a patch would actually make it worse. 

Also, I'd kind of call BS on his kidney stone stories too. I've had 5 kidney stones. 2 of which I was in the hospital for. And out of all 5, I only missed ONE day of work. I know I'm more of a pain-tolerant badass than most people but still. 
  • Ok, because I'm a total fact stalker and I love calling ppl on their bullshit, I just used our medical database to look up eye infections and treatment. For pink eye, no doctor would ever say to wear a patch. That's one of the worst things you could do, no matter the cause of the infection. 

The main reason is because, as lolo said, you need to let it "seep." When an eye is infected it naturally waters and tears a lot, which is the body's way of clearing the eye of harmful pathogens. You cover it with a patch and you are literally trapping the harmful bacteria inside your eye and allowing them to thrive and multiply. 

Knowledge is power. 
  • I had pink eye a few years ago. My eye was red and gross-looking, but I made sure to wipe the gunk off during average bathroom trips and then basically bleach the shit out of my hands so that I didn't spread it. Eye drops for it were less than $3 at the time, and with those it took about 2-3 days to get back to normal.

Now, my dad is one tough motherfucker. He got a kidney stone in 2009, and worked his INCREDIBLY physical job for the duration (and would not see a doctor about it, probably because he was afraid they'd tell him he was dying), with the exception of the one day he was taking a box truck up to a job site in northern NH, almost threw up from the pain while driving, and drove himself to the local hospital. He wanted to drive home when my mom and I picked him up. We told him no.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Covering it up would keep all that bacteria all up in there and make it worse for sure.  You want to get it OUT of your eye, not lock it in!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ok, because I'm a total fact stalker and I love calling ppl on their bullshit, I just used our medical database to look up eye infections and treatment. For pink eye, no doctor would ever say to wear a patch. That's one of the worst things you could do, no matter the cause of the infection. 

The main reason is because, as lolo said, you need to let it "seep." When an eye is infected it naturally waters and tears a lot, which is the body's way of clearing the eye of harmful pathogens. You cover it with a patch and you are literally trapping the harmful bacteria inside your eye and allowing them to thrive and multiply. 

Knowledge is power. 
    I'm the same way, which is why I had to post on here first thing this morning! 

Gah! He's such a fucking liar. It makes me so mad. I've caught him in so many lies and unfortunately the owner thinks the damn sun shines out of this kid's ass. 

Knowledge is power. 

Gah! He's such a fucking liar. It makes me so mad. I've caught him in so many lies and unfortunately the owner thinks the damn sun shines out of this kid's ass. 
    Print the shit out and leave it on the boss's desk ~anonymously~ lol
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

Knowledge is power. 

Yeah I've worked at places with hypochondriacs/lazies and it's effing annoying. One girl missed two entire days of work (the first time she called off at the last minute and the second day she didn't bother to call till 3 hours after she was supposed to be there) because she needed to go get a shot from her doctor. Uh... ok. 

What kind of shot? No one knew. It was an extremely important emergency shot that took all day to get, but on day one some crazy long story disaster happened and the doctor didn't have the life-saving serum, so she had to drive out of town, come back, go again the next day, on and on and on. 

Keep your lies simple. Just say you've got the flu or something. Ugh. 

Knowledge is power. 

Yeah I've worked at places with hypochondriacs/lazies and it's effing annoying. One girl missed two entire days of work (the first time she called off at the last minute and the second day she didn't bother to call till 3 hours after she was supposed to be there) because she needed to go get a shot from her doctor. Uh... ok. 

What kind of shot? No one knew. It was an extremely important emergency shot that took all day to get, but on day one some crazy long story disaster happened and the doctor didn't have the life-saving serum, so she had to drive out of town, come back, go again the next day, on and on and on. 

Exactly dude. "Hey, I ate something bad and it's not agreeing with me." "I have a migraine." 

I once worked with a girl that claimed pink eye. The next day, I shit you not, she came in with PINK EYESHADOW on her eyelid. 
    That is kind of hilarious 

Knowledge is power. 

Exactly dude. "Hey, I ate something bad and it's not agreeing with me." "I have a migraine." 

I once worked with a girl that claimed pink eye. The next day, I shit you not, she came in with PINK EYESHADOW on her eyelid. 
    That is kind of hilarious 
    It was. We couldn't stop laughing all day. This girl then the following week told us she had to get something out of her car. And she never came back. 
  • Uhhh lol. If he says he has pink eye send him home even if he's lying. Pink eye is so contagious.

I never call in sick like ever and I did today. I'm always worried someone will think I'm lying but they never do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Pink eye is super gross, but it definitely shouldn't be covered with a patch.  I know we've already figured out he's lying, but as another nail in the coffin, I've never seen someone with pink eye looking "normal" even though it's only their eye affected.  Pink eye is miserable and you feel gross and like shit when you have it.  I'm guessing Nick Fury over there is running around looking just fine.  

• The theories are running wild here. 

He really is a pirate and he never told us. 
    Someone punched him in the eye and he doesn't want anyone to know. 
  • I think it was on a cartoon I saw.  Someone had an eye patch for their pink eye and took it off to look through a microscope and was then like "now do you want to look through it?" to the other character in the show, who was all "nope, you can have it".  Anyways, that is the only time I ever remember hearing anything about using a eye patch for pink eye.
  • The theories are running wild here. 

He really is a pirate and he never told us. 
    Someone punched him in the eye and he doesn't want anyone to know. 
    I'd be going up and doing one of these:

He is probably just lying out of his ass so he has an excuse for not being there yesterday.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I can't stand it. The fact that he lies and that the owner just defends him all the time. It's infuriating.
  • I can't stand it. The fact that he lies and that the owner just defends him all the time. It's infuriating.
    Yeah I would be pissed too. Usually when I've experienced people like this, the owners/managers/people in charge are wise to it right away cuz they've seen it all and done it all so they're not fooled. Then we can kind of laugh about it or whatever. The fact that the owner in your situation seems oblivious to it is just annoying. 
    Yeah I would be pissed too. Usually when I've experienced people like this, the owners/managers/people in charge are wise to it right away cuz they've seen it all and done it all so they're not fooled. Then we can kind of laugh about it or whatever. The fact that the owner in your situation seems oblivious to it is just annoying. 
    What's even worse is that the last plant manager pulled the same exact shit. Called in sick all the time, lied about things. And then that guy quit, giving just 2 days notice while the owners were out of the country! And he purposely waited to turn in his resignation so that he'd get his year end bonus. 
    What's even worse is that the last plant manager pulled the same exact shit. Called in sick all the time, lied about things. And then that guy quit, giving just 2 days notice while the owners were out of the country! And he purposely waited to turn in his resignation so that he'd get his year end bonus. 
    Ugh. It sounds like the owners are totally screwing themselves over and letting damage to their company happen, and they don't even get it. 
  • PLEASE call him out. Then come back and let us about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • People keep coming in here and asking what happened. And he keeps saying his doctor told him to keep it on and not take it off. LIAR!
  • People keep coming in here and asking what happened. And he keeps saying his doctor told him to keep it on and not take it off. LIAR!

CALL HIM OUT! I'd even yell LIAR to his face :)

This is so exciting. Please stir up some shit.

"Everyone knows you're full of shit, so stop lying to us and take the eye patch off."

image   image   image

CALL HIM OUT! I'd even yell LIAR to his face :) This is so exciting. Please stir up some shit. "Everyone knows you're full of shit, so stop lying to us and take the eye patch off."
    Eh. Contrary to how I might be on here, I'm not a shit stirrer at work. While it would be hilarious and awesome to call him out to his face, this is still someone that I have to work with every day. 

CALL HIM OUT! I'd even yell LIAR to his face :)

This is so exciting. Please stir up some shit.

"Everyone knows you're full of shit, so stop lying to us and take the eye patch off."

Eh. Contrary to how I might be on here, I'm not a shit stirrer at work. While it would be hilarious and awesome to call him out to his face, this is still someone that I have to work with every day. 

Boo :( can you passive aggressively leave notes around the office taped to walls? That's exciting and anonymous.

image   image   image

CALL HIM OUT! I'd even yell LIAR to his face :) This is so exciting. Please stir up some shit. "Everyone knows you're full of shit, so stop lying to us and take the eye patch off."
    Boo :( can you passive aggressively leave notes around the office taped to walls? That's exciting and anonymous.
    Simmer down, sugar! ;)  She's not trying to lose her job!!

For real though, I had pink eye several times as a teenager (from babysitting) and my doctor always told me to stay home until I had been on the antibiotic for 24 hours because it's so contagious.  And, yeah, there is tons of disgusting seepage.  I had it so many times that if I woke up with my eye sealed shut, it was like, "mom, call the doctor, I have pink eye again."  This guy is ridiculous.

• Sorry, I'll calm it down.

I'm bored this morning at home.

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards