Chit Chat

Is my name really that uncommon?

Re: Is my name really that uncommon?

• We went bowling on Saturday. I may have gone  up to the guy and demanded my name to be spelled correctly.   Not sure why it bothered me so much, but I HATED seeing Linda up on the screen.

Weird, right.   BTW - I bowled pretty well considering I had not picked up a ball in 3 years.

They just put DH as CHEF.   Everyone else had a name, but he is called Chef.  It's like that everywhere.    We walked into the burger place all the cooks yell "CHEF"  We walked into WF and some of the workers call out "CHEF" to him.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I totally feel your pain. My name is Jewish, and I eternally get the weirdest renditions of it. Like Raphael, Roxanne, Gabriel, Rafaella, Gabriella... It sucks.
  • lyndausvi said:
    We went bowling on Saturday. I may have gone  up to the guy and demanded my name to be spelled correctly.   Not sure why it bothered me so much, but I HATED seeing Linda up on the screen.

Weird, right.   BTW - I bowled pretty well considering I had not picked up a ball in 3 years.

They just put DH as CHEF.   Everyone else had a name, but he is called Chef.  It's like that everywhere.    We walked into the burger place all the cooks yell "CHEF"  We walked into WF and some of the workers call out "CHEF" to him.   

I thought your dog's name was Chef. It is strange to call a man the same thing you call his dog.

• My name isn't terribly uncommon, but my Mom, bless her heart, spelled it wrong. English teachers have pointed out that my name is not supposed to be pronounced like it is my whole life. 

It's also a traditionally Jewish name, so when I first started working and wore a name tag at work I'd get a lot of 30 year old dudes asking if I was Jewish. I was still in high school.  I learned to stop wearing my name tag.

Anniversary
  • edited November 2014
    My name is Lori. In one week at work, I was called Lauri, Leslie, Lisa and... Rachel.
    My name's Rachel! And more than once, when I've answered the phone with my name, people say, "Hello, Lisa." I don't even know. Lisa???

ETA:

SBmini said:
    LOL! Maybe someone is trolling you. My husband has a friend named Nathaniel. Not Nathan, Nathaniel. He's a real douchebag and this is something that totally sets him off like nothing else. Because everyone is just supposed to know he doesn't like Nathan, right? I laughed so hard when he started his new job and they put him in as Nathan. On his paystubs, his email, even his health insurance he was Nathan. He lost his mind.
    My old stylist once had a "contest" going where she'd give you $1 off your bill if you called the receptionist by the wrong name on your way out. She was just really into pranking her and had apparently gotten a bunch of her clients to go along with it. Somehow she roped me into it. I felt weird and slightly bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Fiona. It's not a hard name. It's not an unusal name. It's the name of Shrek's wife! (SIL has always gotten a kick of this FYI)

I've got Feeonah, Feynoa, Feenah, Freena, and Fionae. What? What the ever loving fuck?!

Sophie has gotten, Sofie, Sofaie, Cophie (doesn't the C make an S sound?), and Zofie. She's also gotten Sophy, but that one and Sofie, doesn't bother because that aren't "that wrong" according to her. And once she got Soapy.
  • H's name is Micah. People always say "oh, I know someone who has a daughter/sister/etc named Micah." Cool, thanks. I'm sure he loves hearing that a bunch of girls share his name.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I've only met guys named Micah. That's weird. 
  • H's name is Micah. People always say "oh, I know someone who has a daughter/sister/etc named Micah." Cool, thanks. I'm sure he loves hearing that a bunch of girls share his name.
    My dad shares his name with an A-list celebrity couple's daughter, who spells it the same but pronounces it differently. I'm sure it's brought him nothing but joy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I thought so too. I mean, I've only ever known it to be a Biblical name so that's why I've always assumed it's more of a guys' name.

• lyndausvi said:
    We went bowling on Saturday. I may have gone  up to the guy and demanded my name to be spelled correctly.   Not sure why it bothered me so much, but I HATED seeing Linda up on the screen.

I thought your dog's name was Chef. It is strange to call a man the same thing you call his dog.

LOL -  I know right?    DH is an executive chef.   There is some weird military-type hierarchy thing in a kitchen.  Since DH is the head chef is called Chef.  Everyone at the club calls him Chef, even the members all call him Chef.  It's a sign of respect.   Although it's not DH insisting, they do it on their own.

DH named the bulldog Chef D or Chef for short.    Except at work DH is not normally called Chef. Well, until we moved here that is.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My name is Tania. I have seen: Tonia, Tonya, Tanya, Taina, Tiana, Tanyah. What irks me is when people at work get my name wrong on an email because it is RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. They had to type in my name correctly in order to get the damn email to me!

The worst was when my full name was totally misspelled when I got an express pass (or whatever it used to be called) at 6 flags. They spelled it "Rania." 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• FI's name is Dylan. It was spelled on our electric bill as Duilan (um what?) and on our cable bill as "Dallon." Dude. His name is normal. Don't make it weird. 
    I have a friend named Dillon, that one does actually have two spellings..
  • MagicInk said:
    Fiona. It's not a hard name. It's not an unusal name. It's the name of Shrek's wife! (SIL has always gotten a kick of this FYI)

I've got Feeonah, Feynoa, Feenah, Freena, and Fionae. What? What the ever loving fuck?!

Sophie has gotten, Sofie, Sofaie, Cophie (doesn't the C make an S sound?), and Zofie. She's also gotten Sophy, but that one and Sofie, doesn't bother because that aren't "that wrong" according to her. And once she got Soapy.
    WUT. 

• In one year, two friends gave birth and named their child Grayson.  One was a boy, one was a girl.  Strange.
  • My name's Caitlin. When I was a kid, I would get every random-ass weird spelling of my name. Rarely did someone get it right. Now that I'm older, it still gets spelled incorrectly, but it's always consistent - Caitlyn. We have a sales guy who will spell it that way EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. even though it's in my signature, on the door to my office, etc. And our carrier reps spell it that way all the time as well. Drives me batty.
  • In one year, two friends gave birth and named their child Grayson.  One was a boy, one was a girl.  Strange.
    I know 3 little girls named Quinn (all born since Glee has been out, all their parents claim it had nothing to do with it). When the last 2 Quinns were born (within days of each other), I told the other Quinn's mom "look, two more Quinns." She was like "oh the other Quinns are boys right? Mine must be the only girl Quinn. We were going to use Quinn whether it was a boy or a girl." Uh nope, all girls, never heard of a boy named Quinn. Sorry you're not as unique as you thought.

Also, I hate giving girls names that end in "-son." For crying out loud, it means "son of _____!"

• One time we had a new volunteer start at work.
    She was a really sweet older woman who I didn't see very often, and she said "Hey good morning Lauren" and without thinking I replied "Good morning"/ She then called me Lauren for a year before I corrected her.
    I know 3 little girls named Quinn (all born since Glee has been out, all their parents claim it had nothing to do with it). When the last 2 Quinns were born (within days of each other), I told the other Quinn's mom "look, two more Quinns." She was like "oh the other Quinns are boys right? Mine must be the only girl Quinn. We were going to use Quinn whether it was a boy or a girl." Uh nope, all girls, never heard of a boy named Quinn. Sorry you're not as unique as you thought.

Also, I hate giving girls names that end in "-son." For crying out loud, it means "son of _____!"
    Remember that folksy song "The Mighty Quinn"?  Was that a boy or a girl?  (serious question)
  • DH once added an 'h' to my name about 6 months into dating. He nearly got cut for that. I still like to give him a hard time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MagicInk said:
    Fiona. It's not a hard name. It's not an unusal name. It's the name of Shrek's wife! (SIL has always gotten a kick of this FYI)

WUT. 
    Drugs. People are on drugs.

Remember that folksy song "The Mighty Quinn"?  Was that a boy or a girl?  (serious question)
    Nope. Never heard of it.

Some friends of a friend decided they were going to name their baby Flynn no matter the gender. I guess they really liked Tron. I think I heard they ended up having a girl. I kind of like the name Flynn. It's not nearly as crazy as some of the names I've been hearing lately, from both friends and celebrities. One friend recently named her son Starr. I cringed a little but tried not to judge and just be happy that she had an awesome baby that she and her husband had been wanting for so long. But I did judge a little.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh, Flynn sounds too much like "phlegm".

• My name is Sara without the H.

I have gotten:

Sarah

Saera

Shara

Saraha

Sera

Cera

Seriously? It is 4 letters. Two of them are the same. Say it with me S-A-R-A.

• My name is Kaitlyn. I've had it spelled as Kaitlynn, Caitlin, Caitlyn, Catelin, Katelin, Katelyn, Kathleen, Kaihtlin... you get the idea. Some weird ones too. A rep last year called me Kimberly. I corrected him and he kept calling me that. It was really annoying but after the third time correcting him I felt like an ass. Some people also try to go with Katie, which is an absolute no for me.

My work email is kaitlyn.maidenname@companyname too so when they email me and get it wrong it drives me nuts. Work seems to be dragging their heels on giving me an email with my married name so I changed my email signature.

People also sometimes see my nametag and ask how to pronounce it. Really?! I get my spelling isn't the most common but it was a really common name when I was born. I think there were 6 of us, all with different ways to spell it, in one of my elementary classes.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @kaitlynmichelle I can relate to every single point in your post. Especially the part about Katie being a no go. My mom HATED Katie so I ended up with the same feelings towards it. Even Cait is a stretch for me.

I also had a million other Caitlin's in my school, including THREE with the same first AND last name as me. One was even spelled the exact same way. I was constantly getting the wrong report cards and status reports from school.

I also get called Kathleen a lot by elderly people, particularly when I worked at a grocery store and they tried to read my name tag. Not sure where they got Kathleen from...

• I have a very traditional name that goes through phases of popularity. When I was born, it was an unused old lady name. It's very popular for dogs now, though I'm hearing of more little kids with my name. Think of something like "Molly."

I have a traditional spelling. I see my name butchered in ways like:

Mollie
    Molli
    Molleigh
    Mauley

It puzzles me.
  • My name is Adrienne. I get called Andrea WAY more often than Adrienne. Like, literally 80/20 Andrea. I don't understand. My friend Andrea never gets called Adrienne. I've even had new jobs set up my email as Andrea. I've worked at my current job for THREE YEARS and the owner and his son both habitually misspell my name. I'm Adrianne to the son (that pisses my mom right off) and Adrian to the owner. Adrian is a fucking DUDE. I also get a variety of misspellings in my email. My email address is Adrienne@nameofbsuiness.com How the fuck do you email me at the correct address but spell my name wrong? 

My favorite name fuck up is when someone called me Claire. Huh?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards