Chit Chat
Options

Is my name really that uncommon?

Re: Is my name really that uncommon?

• Options
    I have a very traditional name that goes through phases of popularity. When I was born, it was an unused old lady name. It's very popular for dogs now, though I'm hearing of more little kids with my name. Think of something like "Molly."

I have a traditional spelling. I see my name butchered in ways like:

Mollie
    Molli
    Molleigh
    Mauley

It puzzles me.
    Your name isn't Wanda? I'm so confused now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In one year, two friends gave birth and named their child Grayson.  One was a boy, one was a girl.  Strange.
    I know 3 little girls named Quinn (all born since Glee has been out, all their parents claim it had nothing to do with it). When the last 2 Quinns were born (within days of each other), I told the other Quinn's mom "look, two more Quinns." She was like "oh the other Quinns are boys right? Mine must be the only girl Quinn. We were going to use Quinn whether it was a boy or a girl." Uh nope, all girls, never heard of a boy named Quinn. Sorry you're not as unique as you thought.

Also, I hate giving girls names that end in "-son." For crying out loud, it means "son of _____!"
    Some friends of a friend decided they were going to name their baby Flynn no matter the gender. I guess they really liked Tron. I think I heard they ended up having a girl. I kind of like the name Flynn. It's not nearly as crazy as some of the names I've been hearing lately, from both friends and celebrities. One friend recently named her son Starr. I cringed a little but tried not to judge and just be happy that she had an awesome baby that she and her husband had been wanting for so long. But I did judge a little.
    I hope that kids got swag.

Anniversary
  • Options
    If you invert two letters of my first name you get the male version. I consult with a biotech company and every.single.email from the CEO is the male version. My email address is firstname.maidenname@uni.com and every email I send to him has my name in the signature.

My maiden name is a common word, like House. Apparently that is too simple and people pronounce it "Hose" or "Housey" all the time.

My married name is 4 letters long and has an umlaut. Evidently this is so confusing that people won't even try to pronounce it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I have had more people call me Liz and Bethany than I can count.

My go-to response is, "Who is ______?" when someone calls me the wrong name.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @chibiyui: Time will tell. Right now he's got a very hippie mother. That's all I know about him. But we can hope he will grow up to be as amazing as those gifs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    blabla89 said:
    I have a very traditional name that goes through phases of popularity. When I was born, it was an unused old lady name. It's very popular for dogs now, though I'm hearing of more little kids with my name. Think of something like "Molly."

I have a traditional spelling. I see my name butchered in ways like:

Mollie
    Molli
    Molleigh
    Mauley

It puzzles me.
    Your name isn't Wanda? I'm so confused now.
    Nope. My dad's been calling me Wanda June since I was a little kid. He has lots of random explanations of how he got to the nickname but it really just comes down to him being a huge Vonnegut fan and hm loving the name.

I got lucky- my sister got the worst nickname ever. Sarah became "Say-rah, Princess of Pow-wah" (we're of the He-Man and She-Ra era).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    People spell my name wrong all the time. Now granted, my name isn't typical and isn't as common name that people use today, but if you've taken an elementary history class you should know.
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    DH once added an 'h' to my name about 6 months into dating. He nearly got cut for that. I still like to give him a hard time.

My XH liked to be a smartass and spell my name "Sara" instead of "Sarah," stating that the "h" on the end was unnecessary and just took up space. He thought it was hilarious until I started spelling his name "Scot" instead of "Scott." Not so funny now, is it? 
    Uhhh. I thought your name was Esstee. Like Estee Lauder. But I get it now. Derp.

• Options
    When my brother's girlfriend's daughter had her son, she named him Damyyn, took her a full YEAR to decide how she wanted to pronounce it. Finally decided on Dam Eye In. Like , REALLY?  If you have to think about how to pronounce it, choose something else.  I feel very sorry for that kid, he's gonna go through hell in school.
    Yup, I'm guilty of judging in this situation!
  • Options
    It bugs the shit out of me when I see them pull that shit with their poor, defenseless infants.  If you want to use crazy names, put it on your pet!
  • Options
    @lolo883 I've never seen Glee- is Quinn a boy or girl on there? All it reminds me of is the sister on Daria!

• Options
    I'm so used to people spelling my name wrong it's not even funny.  My name is LindsEy, but about 95% of the time people spell it LindsAy.  I get that Lindsay is a popular way to spell it, but ugh.  One time I corrected someone and they proceeded to tell me they thought it sounded better with the "a".  Um...ok?

Sometimes i get the really fun spellings though.  Lynzie, Lindsi, Lindszyie....do people really spell their children's names like that?  Christ.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @lolo883 I've never seen Glee- is Quinn a boy or girl on there? All it reminds me of is the sister on Daria!
    Quinn is a girl on Glee. And she dated a boy named Finn.

• Options
    Gah! I just think people don't make the effort. I envy names as ordinary yours! My name is a combo of two very, very simple girls' names, which shouldn't be too hard to remember or spell, but it happens all.the.time. Sometimes with two completely different girls' names that don't even look or sound anything like mine! 

Mindy Kaling has a great spiel in her book on people who are "bad with names" and therefore misspell or don't remember yours: being bad with names is not a thing. People are just rude.
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    DH once added an 'h' to my name about 6 months into dating. He nearly got cut for that. I still like to give him a hard time.

My XH liked to be a smartass and spell my name "Sara" instead of "Sarah," stating that the "h" on the end was unnecessary and just took up space. He thought it was hilarious until I started spelling his name "Scot" instead of "Scott." Not so funny now, is it? 
    Uhhh. I thought your name was Esstee. Like Estee Lauder. But I get it now. Derp.
    Haha yeah, Sarah T. :) 
  • Options
    Aray82 said:
    Gah! I just think people don't make the effort. I envy names as ordinary yours! My name is a combo of two very, very simple girls' names, which shouldn't be too hard to remember or spell, but it happens all.the.time. Sometimes with two completely different girls' names that don't even look or sound anything like mine! 

Mindy Kaling has a great spiel in her book on people who are "bad with names" and therefore misspell or don't remember yours: being bad with names is not a thing. People are just rude.

Agree!! When I text my friend to see if she has her daughter for the night, I will stalk her facebook until I find out how to spell her daughter's name because I can never remember if it's Hailey or Haylie and I don't want to be that dick who gets it wrong.

My nephew's name is Easton and for the first year he was alive everyone would ask me "How is Ethan?" So annoying.

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    esstee33 said:

Haha yeah, Sarah T. :) 
    I'm gonna keep calling you Estee in my head. It's fancy.

• Options
    Ugh! Biggest pet peeve! My name is Elissa, pronounced like "Melissa" but without the "M". It gets absolutely butchered in both spelling and pronounciation all.the.time. I get that it's not common but no one freaks out when trying to pronounce Melissa!
  • Options
    Ugh! Biggest pet peeve! My name is Elissa, pronounced like "Melissa" but without the "M". It gets absolutely butchered in both spelling and pronounciation all.the.time. I get that it's not common but no one freaks out when trying to pronounce Melissa!

My middle name is Eliss - pronounced like yours but without the "a" on the end. People pronounce it "Elyse" every time, including our officiant during our ceremony....
  • Options
    A friend of mine recently named her baby Emilia - just like Amelia, but with an E. You would think she named her the quadratic formula.

• Options
    My college roommate was spelled Renay.

My Dad doesn't even spell my name right.
  • Options

My middle name is Eliss - pronounced like yours but without the "a" on the end. People pronounce it "Elyse" every time, including our officiant during our ceremony....
    The last thing the minister said to me minutes before the wedding ceremony was "How do you pronounce [married last name] so I can announce you properly"

Anniversary
  • Options
    My last name sounds kind of like a first name. So people call me that randomly. But pronounce it incorrectly.
  • Options
    ...I have NEVER had my name spelled correctly. It's not ANY of the common spellings of Caitlyn. Even @KaitlynMichelle left it off. My schools had it right because of systems, I guess, but none of my teachers, none of my friends. Even some of my family members can't spell it. I even suspect that FI can't spell it, since I've shortened it and don't use it outside of my parents, who've spent 26 years calling me by my full name and I suspect will never stop.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I've only seen my nickname messed up.  It's pretty impossible to fuck up my real name, yet people ask me how to spell it all the time.  Wut?

• Options
    My last name is fairly popular but nobody can spell it. It's a common noun (think Smith or Carpenter), spelled just the same way as the actual noun. But people always want to give it weird spellings (Smythe, Charpentier, etc.) even when I spell it for them or they have already seen it in writing. I'll even say, "Carpenter like in the dictionary, the actual word." "So... C.. H..." NO. To me it's a sign they just aren't paying attention and I'm not important to them. That or they can't spell simple nouns.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ok I have to say sometimes people can't get that mad because their name is pronounced like it's spelled. I worked with a Tera so I only saw her name on paper. When I finally met her I called her like you would say Terra-cotta. She's like "No, it's Tara". She probably gets that ALL the time but she can't really be mad because how are we supposed to look at the English language and get Tara from that?

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Ok I have to say sometimes people can't get that mad because their name is pronounced like it's spelled. I worked with a Tera so I only saw her name on paper. When I finally met her I called her like you would say Terra-cotta. She's like "No, it's Tara". She probably gets that ALL the time but she can't really be mad because how are we supposed to look at the English language and get Tara from that?
    Wait, those are pronounced differently? Does she mean like TARR-ah rather than TARE-ah?

I used to work with a girl named Crystle who insisted it was pronounced like Crys-TALL, like the champagne. Well... that's... not at all how it's spelled. If your parents wanted to pronounce it heavy on the 'A', why didn't they spell it Crystal?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards