Chit Chat

Can you name all the states?

Re: Can you name all the states?

• arrippaarrippa Sam Adams Craft Commonwealth member
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

There is a game I have on my phone that teaches you all the states. Once I mastered that, I starting learning the provinces of Canada.

I love the Buzzfeed article about Australians naming all the US states. Then there was the reverse article with Americans trying to name Australian states/provinces. Funny stuff.  

• lyndausvilyndausvi Western Slope, Colorado mod
    Moderator Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its
    I've always been pretty good at geography.     Then again I've lived in 10 states.    Did a lot of driving getting to/from Delaware.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • esstee33esstee33 Pittsburgh member
    Ninth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    45 perfect, but average of 14 miles. Part of that is that I didn't realize how sensitive it is to EXACTLY lining it up, though. And I got a phone call that caused me to accidentally dropped one when I didn't mean to raaather far away, haha. Go away, work. 

• jenna8984jenna8984 clam bakes & patriots member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    Well thanks a lot- I am now hooked on that map game. First time I got 20 miles, second time I got 17 miles. It is frigen hard when they start you off with middle!

• Also addicted. I did it again and got 1 mile! I did get lucky though and get some of the bigger states first. Now I need a new game.
    lyndausviesstee33jenna8984
    I got 6. I can leave work happy now hahah

lyndausvikat1114
  • emmaaaemmaaa North Carolina mod
    Moderator 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    The first time I got 76% correct with a 65 mile average. Second time was 90% and 28 miles.

Now I'm hooked.
    I just did it again. I was averaging 3 with only Louisiana left.   I accedently lifted my finger and it dropped it on North Dakota.  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
    emmaaajenna8984
    Awwww yeah. 2nd time I got 49 perfect, 2 miles average. And it started me with Oklahoma! I accidentally put it too far north, making Texas even BIGGER. 
    jenna8984
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl The Cold North member
    Knottie Warrior 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I used to be able to name/ID all states and capitals.  But since I don't need to know that daily and since I'm not American, I've forgotten a few.  The New England/east coast area always throws me.  Too many little states that all start with "New".  I've only been there once in my life (drove through NY to NYC) and that's it.  

Going to try the map game though
  • The state capitals are fun, too.  My girlfriends and I quizzed each other with the maps on our spring break road trip trip from Ohio to Nashville to New Orleans to Dallas and back years ago.  To this day, we still get the same ones wrong and quiz each other whenever we are together.  We are nerds.

esstee33
  • ashley8918ashley8918 Chicago Suburbs member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    Whooo! 90% with 17 mile avg. error. They did start me off with my state (IL), though.
    esstee33
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    edited December 2014
    When I taught elementary music, 4th graders learned the song "Fifty, Nifty United States", in which they recited all the states in alphabetical order.  After singing that sing hundreds of times, Oh, yeah, I can easily do it.'

Now, can you name all the countries in Europe?  I do this in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.
  • Growing up, we had this book/CD that had songs with all the states and all the countries in different sections of the world - Africa, Scandinavia, eastern Europe, etc.  It was pretty cool, but it didn't teach you locations at all, just the names.

I could name all of the sates.  I do think I would get messed up on some of those tiny states on the East Coast if I had to label them all.  All the countries, ooh, I could probably name close to all of them.
  • sophhabobophasophhabobopha The Midwestern tundra member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper

I posted this on my Facebook page earlier today. It was worth a good chuckle.

I recently did a test on jetpunk.com where you have to name all of the countries in the world in 12 minutes (I believe it's 12- work blocked the link.) I named them all with 2 minutes to spare! The worst area for me was Africa.

I know most of them but I cannot spell. ):
  • dolewhipperdolewhipper [wh]orlando member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer
    I now have the States Song (that's what we called it) stuck in my head.

AAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAbama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas.....ugh.
    emmaaakat1114theartistformerlyknownas
    Does anyone remember that movie Drop Dead Gorgeous? Kirsten Dunst is in a beauty pageant and the judges are asking all the girls these super easy, airhead questions like "What's your favorite tree?" and then they ask Kirsten "list and spell all the states in backwards alphabetical order". And she does it....in a midwestern accent. Wyoming- W-Y-O-M-I-N-G, West Virginia- W.....all the way to Alabama- A-L-A-B-A-M-A! I love that part.

kat1114amelisha
  • climbingsingleclimbingsingle NYC 'burbs member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I always mess up on the mid-western states. And how do I not know where Oklahoma is? WTF. I'm addicted to this game now. 
  • jenna8984 said:

Does anyone remember that movie Drop Dead Gorgeous? Kirsten Dunst is in a beauty pageant and the judges are asking all the girls these super easy, airhead questions like "What's your favorite tree?" and then they ask Kirsten "list and spell all the states in backwards alphabetical order". And she does it....in a midwestern accent. Wyoming- W-Y-O-M-I-N-G, West Virginia- W.....all the way to Alabama- A-L-A-B-A-M-A! I love that part.

Drop Dead Goegeous is one of my favorite movies! It's a shame not more people have see it.
    jenna8984
  • Yes, and in alphabetical order.  Won a contest once for being able to do it the fastest.  I got a doughnut I think...
  • photokittyphotokitty where I want to be mod
    Moderator Knottie Warrior 5000 Comments 500 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I'm having Carmen SanDiego flash backs...I wanted to smother the kids who lost on the US map. Seriously, you lost a free roundtrip airfare bc you don't know where West Virginia is??? How did you even get on the show??

ETA 92% and avg error of 26 miles, starting with Colorado...seriously, place the ambiguous square...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

kat1114esstee33theartistformerlyknownas
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville Chicago member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    My average was 4 miles, mostly because they gave me Arkansas without any neighboring states and I was like, "Ummm... I know it's sort of next to TX/OK and on top of LA, but where, exactly?"
    lyndausvi
  • KatWAGKatWAG Chicago member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I can name all the states AND their capitals. :: dusting off my shoulder::
    esstee33
    I'm having Carmen SanDiego flash backs...I wanted to smother the kids who lost on the US map. Seriously, you lost a free roundtrip airfare bc you don't know where West Virginia is??? How did you even get on the show??

ETA 92% and avg error of 26 miles, starting with Colorado...seriously, place the ambiguous square...
    This just reminded me that I'm going to be able to have game nights at my new place very soon, and I can bust this back out: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Carmen-Sandiego-Board-Game/dp/B00004YO0H

SO EXCITED.
    kat1114wrigleyvilletheartistformerlyknownas
  • esstee33 said:

This just reminded me that I'm going to be able to have game nights at my new place very soon, and I can bust this back out: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Carmen-Sandiego-Board-Game/dp/B00004YO0H

SO EXCITED.
    I'm so jealous that you have that game. That was my absolutely favorite board game as a kid.
    kat1114 said:
    esstee33 said:

SO EXCITED.
    I'm so jealous that you have that game. That was my absolutely favorite board game as a kid.
    You can totally come play it with me. I know it's kiiiind of a long drive, but I'm pretty sure it's worth it. 
    kat1114
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing Alaska member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    I played the Carmen Sandiego computer game growing up.  I wish I had it, because I would have no shame in playing it right now!

ETA: I just did the jims thing game, and got an average of 24 percent, and I forgot to look at how many I got correct. But they started me off with Delaware!  Also, I totally messed up the Dakotas.  I just saw Dakota and didn't read South and put it in the North Dakota spot. 
    Delaware is easy.  It's on the coast.

Okay, maybe not. I'm from there so I have an advantage.   :-p

• lyndausvi said:

When I moved to Texas as a kid I was asked where we were from.  I answered "Delaware".  I can't tell you how many times people would say "What state is that in?"

@lyndausvi‌ I moved from NY to DE and people ask me that a lot. It's kind of weird that people don't realize this entire state exists.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

lyndausvi
  • mikenbergermikenberger In a f'n cornfield member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    Definitely could. And all of their capitals as well. Knowledge remaining from the childhood of being a ginger kid and not able to go out in the sun for long periods of time. Also had the weather people on TWC memorized lol
    esstee33
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards