Chit Chat

the Bump forums do not seem welcoming

Re: the Bump forums do not seem welcoming

• jenna8984 said:
    So I just called my OB and asked if I needed an appointment for like TTC and they sounded like I was crazy. I'm like well...I dunno, girls are talking about getting CF tests done and other tests so I wasn't sure if I needed stuff? And she was like no, we do all that once you're pregnant. Sooo ok.
    It pisses me off when they do that. It's fucking counter-productive to not test for CF until you're already pregnant. I fucking hate that, seriously. DEMAND testing. Demand a recommendation to a testing lab.

Do not let them brush the shit off because it is dead fucking serious and you do not want to put a child through the hardship of having CF if you can avoid it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014

Edit: I apparently hit post when I was just reading.  No DD, just didn't have anything written.  Didn't know it would even post nothing!

• Jenna find a doc that uses the lab Progenity. They'll do the testing before you're pregnant, and if your insurance doesn't cover it they'll only bill you $25 instead of the $700-1000 it can cost.

• That's awful that they want to wait until you're pregnant to test. Why not take preventative measures? I think it is important to find and OB that makes you comfortable and wants to help you be confident in TTC.

• Jenna find a doc that uses the lab Progenity. They'll do the testing before you're pregnant, and if your insurance doesn't cover it they'll only bill you $25 instead of the $700-1000 it can cost.
    DEFINITELY find a lab that won't break the bank. I do have insurance, genetic testing IS covered due to AMA, as is CF testing, and it still cost me $525 out of pocket for the CF test (and $875 for the genetic testing). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2014
    Jenna find a doc that uses the lab Progenity. They'll do the testing before you're pregnant, and if your insurance doesn't cover it they'll only bill you $25 instead of the $700-1000 it can cost.
    DEFINITELY find a lab that won't break the bank. I do have insurance, genetic testing IS covered due to AMA, as is CF testing, and it still cost me $525 out of pocket for the CF test (and $875 for the genetic testing). 
    If you are going to have genetic testing done, then you also really need to see a genetic counselor who will then step you through the results and what they mean. . . especially if you find out there's an issue.

I'm a molecular biologist, so I totally support genetic testing before TTC and I'm not suggesting to you guys that you shouldn't do it.  But you really should talk about the results with a genetic counselor.

One of the reasons 23 and Me got into trouble with the FDA and was later sued was because they were giving a ton of genetic information to lay people who didn't really know what it all meant, and they were going back to their doctors and freaking out because "OMG I had my sequencing done and it says I have a mutation in the BRCA1 gene and now I'm going to get breast cancer!!!"

Well, that's not how it works and so people were getting unduly stressed and panicked.  That's why genetic counselors exist.

jenna8984 said:
    So I just called my OB and asked if I needed an appointment for like TTC and they sounded like I was crazy. I'm like well...I dunno, girls are talking about getting CF tests done and other tests so I wasn't sure if I needed stuff? And she was like no, we do all that once you're pregnant. Sooo ok.
    Also, you are not crazy Jenna.  Both my PCP and OB ask me at my annual exams if I plan on having children in the near future, and I assume it's because they want to talk about TTC with me and things I should and shouldn't do, etc.

If you want to talk to a doctor about TTC and your current one looks at you like you have three heads. . . find another doctor.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• beethery said:
    jenna8984 said:
    It pisses me off when they do that. It's fucking counter-productive to not test for CF until you're already pregnant. I fucking hate that, seriously. DEMAND testing. Demand a recommendation to a testing lab.

Do not let them brush the shit off because it is dead fucking serious and you do not want to put a child through the hardship of having CF if you can avoid it.
    One more reason I LOVE my OB. I started seeing her a few years ago. My first visit, we sat in her office for 20 minutes and discussed family history, my relationships, etc. She said that, based on the blood disorders in my family (strokes, clotting, blood cancers, etc) she A- suggested no BC and B- wanted me to do a full work-up at a hematologist.

She was shocked that I had been on hormonal BC for so many years prior because it is terrible for people with blood issues in their family.  She said she wouldn't suggest getting pregnant until I heard back from the hematologist. I was single back then, but really appreciated the caution. Luckily, the tests were all clear.

Then, when I went for my annual this year, she asked what we were doing for BC. I told her we were using NFP and planned to start TTC in December (this was in September). So she ran all the standard genetic tests, blood typing, and started me on pre-natals. She said she wanted me as prepared as possible for when I actually do get pregnant.

I LOVE this woman- seriously, best OB ever (any New Yorkers, let me know if you want her name!).
  • Yeah @PrettyGirlLost‌ my doc said she'd refer me to a genetic counselor if anything came out of my testing that needed addressing. :)

• Yeah @PrettyGirlLost‌ my doc said she'd refer me to a genetic counselor if anything came out of my testing that needed addressing. :)
    I also think insurance should cover prenatal genetic testing.  They are basically just PCR tests- they are not that complicated or expensive to perform.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• jenna8984 said:
    At my last annual check up I told my gyno that I'm planning to TTC in the next year. I wasn't due for a PAP smear this year, but she did it so I wouldn't have to do it while pregnant. She made sure my vaccinations were up-to-date and had blood tests done to check my antibodies for protection from rubella, chickenpox, and hepatitis B. I also had blood and urine tests done to check blood sugar, kidney function and iron levels. I found out I am very iron deficient and I needed to start on iron supplements ASAP to get my iron levels up before TTC. I didn't have genetic tests done because nothing runs in our families. However, it makes no sense to wait until your are pregnant to do genetic testing or any other tests.

Anniversary
  • I went to my GP multiple times and asked for testing or a referral to someone who would test me because I have CF in my family. I got told, "No, it can wait until you're already pregnant" each time.

I don't go to that dumb bitch anymore.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• One more reason I LOVE my OB. I started seeing her a few years ago. My first visit, we sat in her office for 20 minutes and discussed family history, my relationships, etc. She said that, based on the blood disorders in my family (strokes, clotting, blood cancers, etc) she A- suggested no BC and B- wanted me to do a full work-up at a hematologist.

She was shocked that I had been on hormonal BC for so many years prior because it is terrible for people with blood issues in their family.  She said she wouldn't suggest getting pregnant until I heard back from the hematologist. I was single back then, but really appreciated the caution. Luckily, the tests were all clear.

Then, when I went for my annual this year, she asked what we were doing for BC. I told her we were using NFP and planned to start TTC in December (this was in September). So she ran all the standard genetic tests, blood typing, and started me on pre-natals. She said she wanted me as prepared as possible for when I actually do get pregnant.

I LOVE this woman- seriously, best OB ever (any New Yorkers, let me know if you want her name!).
    This is how I envision me being an OB/Gyn! This is what I am working so hard for and hoping to change people's views on doctors because of the "bad" ones!

I also think insurance should cover prenatal genetic testing.  They are basically just PCR tests- they are not that complicated or expensive to perform.
    Yep, totally agree. Standard testing for AMA is trisomy disorders (at minimum) and if the initial results come back wonky, then most docs will refer you to a genetic counselor at that point. The problem is that even if insurance does say they cover it (like mine does), you may end up paying a shit ton out of pocket b/c they consider all the labs that perform the tests as out of network so you get screwed. In no world should a very simple blood draw cost anyone thousands of dollars out of pocket, with or without insurance.
  • @jenna8984 I was thinking about it and I wonder if your OB didn't understand what you were asking for. Genetic testing for fetal chromosomal abnormalities, things like Down syndrome, can't be done until you're pregnant because actual fetal cells needed to be tested for this. Genetic testing to determine if you or your H are carriers of things like CF can be done before getting pregnant.

Anniversary
  • @jenna8984 I was thinking about it and I wonder if your OB didn't understand what you were asking for. Genetic testing for fetal chromosomal abnormalities, things like Down syndrome, can't be done until you're pregnant because actual fetal cells needed to be tested for this. Genetic testing to determine if you or your H are carriers of things like CF can be done before getting pregnant.
    They can be, but many practices don't offer it/insurance plans don't cover it until you're pregnant. My sister wasn't offered it until she was pregnant, and my doc mentioned that usually people wait until they're pregnant, which she agreed was really stupid.

Yep, totally agree. Standard testing for AMA is trisomy disorders (at minimum) and if the initial results come back wonky, then most docs will refer you to a genetic counselor at that point. The problem is that even if insurance does say they cover it (like mine does), you may end up paying a shit ton out of pocket b/c they consider all the labs that perform the tests as out of network so you get screwed. In no world should a very simple blood draw cost anyone thousands of dollars out of pocket, with or without insurance.
    The blood draw isn't the issue. . . it's the lab techs running the PCR in the other labs that the insurance companies like to quibble about.

It's stupid.  They all suck.

• Yeah insurance companies don't understand or care about logic.  All they care about is money and the numbers on their risk and actuarial charts ><

They can be, but many practices don't offer it/insurance plans don't cover it until you're pregnant. My sister wasn't offered it until she was pregnant, and my doc mentioned that usually people wait until they're pregnant, which she agreed was really stupid.
    Thanks everyone! I have an appointment in March for my annual exam so I plan to ask a milion questions then and find a new Dr. if necessary. I don't plan to stop my pill until we get back from Europe in March so there won't be a chance that I'll get pregnant before that meeting. Just trying to get as prepared for all these things as early in the process as possible. I already started prenatals a few weeks ago because they are just generally good for you so the extra few months on them certainly won't hurt.

• Yeah insurance companies don't understand or care about logic.  All they care about is money and the numbers on their risk and actuarial charts ><
    And they're more concerned with treatment than prevention, which is a systemic issue not limited to maternal genetic screening. More money in treating diseases than keeping people healthy.

• KatWAG said:

On a side note.... when you ladies get pregnant ask for the Materni21 or Panerma test. It is a blood test that is done at 10 weeks. It can test the baby for all genetic and chrmosomal abnormalities. If you get this test done, you dont have to have an amino at 20 weeks, which has risks involved. It was so reassuring for H and I to know that our little nugget was healthy so early on.

It was not covered by insurance since we didnt have any medical history to justify the test. I think it cost $300. But it was worth it for the peace of mind.

And you can find out the sex through this test if you want to know that early.

I had the Mat21 and it's the one that cost me $875 out of pocket (after talking them down from the original bill of $1650). So be careful as the fees you pay can WIDELY vary. That said, we were super excited to find out all was well chromosomally (is that even a word??) AND that Bean is Girl so early!

Yeah @PrettyGirlLost‌ my doc said she'd refer me to a genetic counselor if anything came out of my testing that needed addressing. :)
    The blood draw isn't the issue. . . it's the lab techs running the PCR in the other labs that the insurance companies like to quibble about.

It's stupid.  They all suck.
    QFT!
  • I know someone who mashed up the same two names to make the middle name JoyceLynn...
    Congrats @amakayeb‌ !!! @lurkergirl‌ our girl name is after my grandma Joyce too. But we mashed it up with my sister's middle name Lynne for Jocelyn. Don't tell anybody; we don't want it to get popular. It's one of the few -lyn names that isn't in the top rankings lately. :smiley: Wait that just auto smileyed. Is that TK or my phone? :smiling_imp: :grimacing: :sunglasses:
    OMG, you're my spirit animal!!!  My mom's middle name is Lynn, and I have played with lots of Joyce-lynn/Jocelyn combos.  Unfortunately, I met someone I really didn't like with that name, and ruined for me for a kid, but I still think it's really pretty.  And if we had more than one girl, I would try to work in Lynn somehow.
    Ugh that's the worst when someone else ruins it. EVERYONE else in our family (both our moms, both our other sisters, my other grandma) have/had Marie for a middle name so that's a given. Just makes it hard if we have another girl, because all the names are used up. And hard to find a boy's name that has that much meaning/history. :-/ I liked Hunter as an indirect homage to our dads and brothers but H thinks it's too trendy

• jenna8984 said:
    Ok cool, I have my annual in February so I plan to ask the Dr. then because I don't even know about the booster and other stuff you mentioned. 
    I started reading that book last night and I'll be honest, I was bored out of my mind. I felt like the only relevant information was the waking temp stuff and I didn't even hit that until like page 75. I felt like all the crap leading up to it was kind of pointless. And I'm sorry but tracking the fluid....I've seen it for 15 years and it always looks the fucking same to me. I don't know how I'm supposed to tell milky from eggwhitey. lol
    It would all be the same while you're on the pill, silly. I'm sorry it's boring to you; I'm probably a giant nerd (or just highly uninformed. Probably both) but I found it fascinating.
    That makes more sense lol 
    I just thought it would answer more of my questions but maybe I haven't gotten to that yet? Or maybe my questions are unrelated? I guess I thought it would be more comprehensive of the entire general process, I didn't know it would be so focused on the charting. But again, maybe I just haven't gotten to it yet. 
    To the first bolded: this is why I don't like the idea of NFP.  I have never been on hormonal birth control, but I still feel like it would be really hard to tell the difference.  I can tell sometimes that the stuff is different than it was before, but I feel like it would be really easy to mess up and make a mistake with, which is why I don't do it.

I read the Taking Charge book, and I found it very interesting and informative.
    You should all take over a dead board and turn it into your own "Bump" board*.  Maybe a dead month board or something.  Then you could chat all you want without the crazy.  

*Not that I'm saying don't talk here, but if things ever got going with hundreds of posts.  

Try to get the mods to make a pregnant brides board.  
  • Was lurking around on the bump due to this thread and they seem to have the same thoughts about TK: http://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12499193/did-you-all-know-youre-scaring-the-knotties
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Was lurking around on the bump due to this thread and they seem to have the same thoughts about TK: http://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12499193/did-you-all-know-youre-scaring-the-knotties

Yesssss. The snark sustains me. 

Srsly. Their giffing is on point.

Anniversary
  • I went to TB once. I do not like TB. I felt like I needed a medical degree before I could hope to even try to be a parent and also remember it will probably take you years to get pregnant and if you happen not to have fertility problems (which you so do have) don't bother talking about getting pregnant because we don't like that. 

Also next week we're trying. Next week. According to wifey's calculations she should be ovulating sometime next week. Guys we could make a tiny human next week.

Wifey managed to get genetic testing done her because she doesn't know her mother's medical history or anyone on that side of the family's medical history, so no one put a big fuss when she asked to have it done. Our donor got genetic testing done becuase he doesn't know either parent's medical history. 
  • @MagicInk‌ is gonna be a mommy!! So excited for you guys to begin trying!

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards