Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Glasses - will you be wearing yours on your wedding day?

For all you ladies out there who are like me and don't have perfect vision: If you regularly wear eyeglasses, will you wear them on your wedding day? If you will then have you considered getting a special pair just for the wedding?

I have worn glasses since I was a teenager, and I'm really used to them. I wore contacts briefly many years ago but I stopped wearing them out of convenience. I could get some contact lenses especially for this occasion, but I'll need to start wearing them intermittently beforehand to get my eyes used to them. But I have a fear that my eyes will become irritated and then I'll be red-eyed with smeared makeup from rubbing my eyes all night long. Going without any type of corrective lenses is not an option for me, unless I want to end up flat on my face halfway down the aisle! I'm also considering shopping for a new set of frames before the wedding. If anyone has links to photos of brides rockin' frames then I'd love to see them! My current glasses are thick-framed tortoiseshell, a little funky, a little hipster.

For context, I've attached photos of my frames and my dress. I'm planning to wear my hair up, with a pretty lace & bead comb, no veil.

Re: Glasses - will you be wearing yours on your wedding day?

• Options
    I've worn glasses since high school and need to wear them all day every day to see, well, anything. Right now, I'm considering going with contacts. I've worn them before, but I can't wear them every day without irritation is the problem, and eye drops are a pain in the rear, so I'm wondering if I'm making the smart choice in that...

Just doing a google search for brides in glasses turned up some cute pictures:
    imageimageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just some more cute pictures of brides in glasses:
    Bespectacled Brides | SouthBound Bride
    imageimage
  • Options
    I also wear glasses and I can't wear contacts. Maybe I'll get a stylish pair just for the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @chibiyui You look stunning in that photo! I sort of feel the same way... that the glasses are "me", and I feel strange without them. It helps to see lots of photos of brides wearing frames... but I can't help but think they don't "look as bridal" (whatever that means). But chibiyui you're an exception! I love your look!
  • Options
    @chibiyui You look stunning in that photo! I sort of feel the same way... that the glasses are "me", and I feel strange without them. It helps to see lots of photos of brides wearing frames... but I can't help but think they don't "look as bridal" (whatever that means). But chibiyui you're an exception! I love your look!
    Thank you!

I did purchase those frames with the wedding in mind. I wanted something that you could see my eyes in. A lot of it really just comes down to what you are comfortable in. I can't do contacts, and for me, my glasses are a pretty big part of my identity. 

Another option, you can take your glasses off and get posed portraits done without them, for all or some. and have them on for whenever you really need to read or maneuver around. That way you'll have some non-glasses pictures without having to commit to contacts.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I, too have worn glasses since the 5th grade and wasn't sure what to do about my wedding. I took an extreme approach and got LASIK a few months before (Not for everyone I know...I had been wanting to do it for a while). I love, love chibiyui's look above and think you should shop for new frames with your gown in mind (which is gorgeous, btw). Like earrings or a veil, glasses are a stylish accessory. I love the clear frosty frames in that last photo. If you're up for trying contacts one more time, there are a bunch of new ones that are paper thin and more comfortable than they used to be.
  • Options
    briscoe1031briscoe1031 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2014
    I wore my glasses because I knew I wouldn't feel comfortable without them. I also was adamant about wearing them after having been told to take them off and walk down an aisle as a bridesmaid. That was not fun. I did talk with our photographer about it before just in case and she was willing to do some pictures with and without my glasses if i wanted. Never did. The pictures came out beautifully and there were none that had a glare in them that I can recall
  • Options
    I'm a regular contact wearer and so I'll be going that route. But I wanted to encourage glasses wearers who years ago didn't have luck with contacts to give them a try again. There are so many more options for contact wearers these days and I agree with a previous poster's comment that they have some really thin comfortable ones out there. There are even daily wear ones that you toss after one wear that are supposed to be extremely comfortable. That might be a good option if you want to do occasional contact wear but stick with your glasses most of the time. 
  • Options
    I am super blind, like, you know, that big "E" on the eye chart? Yeah, I haven't been able to make that out unassisted since I was 14. I became a contact wearer early on and can attest that in my 16+ years of contact lens wearing things have definitely improved and they may be worth a try if it's been a while. I think glasses are super cute, but I don't wear them because: 1). they slide down my nose when I try to exercise, 2). I hate not having my peripheral vision, 3). my prescription is so thick that even with fancy thinned lenses there is a fair amount of distortion at the edge of the lens, and 4). a female eye doctor told me that it was safer for me to wear contacts because if someone attacked me or I fell and my glasses broke, I would be completely helpless. That last one is not something I had thought of before. 

Anyway, all that said, although I do like to be able to better see people's eyes, contact lenses are not for everyone. If you are a long time glasses wearer and plan to always be a glasses wearer I would not necessarily change that just for aesthetics on my wedding day. Your fiance is used to seeing you in glasses, you are used to seeing you in glasses, and your wedding day and photos should be a reflection of who you are. 
  • Options
    marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    Contacts for me, even though I only wear contacts while riding my bike or on days when I go to the beach. My eyes for the longest time did NOT agree with contacts, but many of the new brands/types are really good. I wear glasses daily because I dont see the point in wearing contacts when I'm sitting in front of a computer all day...

I figure on my wedding day I'll wait to put the contacts in until right before makeup goes on. I'll keep my glasses with me just in case my contacts make my eyes mad. 
  • Options
    I just got my first pair of glasses over the summer. Over the last few years my vision has become a problem (especially driving, omg), and being able to see clearly was amazing. Then I was thinking ahead to the specific moment at my wedding when I walk down the aisle. I don't want to wear glasses but I want to be able to *see* faces in the crowd and *see* my fiance's face... not just a blurred version of him. So I got contacts. Hated them at first and now they're part of my daily routine and I love them. Will definitely be wearing contacts on the big day.

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    I wore contacts, but that's because I literally had not worn glasses since I was 12.  I didn't and still don't even have a pair with a current prescription.  The latest pair I have is the pair I stopped wearing when I was 12 and they're sitting in my parents house somewhere.

If glasses are what you normally wear, I think you should wear glasses.  I personally find it a bit odd when I see a bride who doesn't always wears glasses wear a pair of contacts just for the wedding.

If you google "brides with glasses," you will find a lot of pictures.

ETA: Fixed the above.  Didn't make any sense before.
  • Options
    I wear glasses and wore them for my wedding. If I hadn't then I would have felt like I wasn't "me" in my pictures!
  • Options
    I'm wrestling with this too. I've worn glasses all my life. For a brief period of time I wore contacts but then switched back to glasses out of sheer laziness and self-consciousness. My eyes aren't symmetrical, the right eye is visibly smaller, set back, and a little lower than the left eye which has made me self-conscious all my life and I get nervous when people look into my eyes. I've had a few operations on my eyes to help them be more even but there's no such thing as perfection with surgery. When I wear glasses, it's harder for people, I think, to notice my eyes. It sucks because I do think I have pretty dark brown eyes but I can't stand my eye shape :( Maybe I should find a more bridal pair?
  • Options
    I've got such bad vision it's pretty terrible and I've been terrified of contacts until this year I finally went to the eye doctor and after breaking out in a sweat, having a panic attack, and trying for 2 hours I got those darn contacts in and I wear them 50% of the time now to get used to them. I plan on wearing contacts for the day and the honeymoon. I like the way I look with glasses but I feel even more beautiful without them so for me the glasses are going in the case as soon as the makeup artist shows up.
  • Options
    I decided that I'm not going to wear my glasses. I have fairly long lashes- to the point where if I wear mascara, my eyelashes just hit the lens the whole time. Obviously I'll want to wear makeup, and I don't want to feel like it's super hidden by my glasses.
    I've never had contacts before, so I'm planning on getting them soon. I don't want my eyes to be super irritated from not having the contacts long enough! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Giaspo said:
    I, too have worn glasses since the 5th grade and wasn't sure what to do about my wedding. I took an extreme approach and got LASIK a few months before (Not for everyone I know...I had been wanting to do it for a while). I love, love chibiyui's look above and think you should shop for new frames with your gown in mind (which is gorgeous, btw). Like earrings or a veil, glasses are a stylish accessory. I love the clear frosty frames in that last photo. If you're up for trying contacts one more time, there are a bunch of new ones that are paper thin and more comfortable than they used to be.

I went the LASIK route too.  I'd worn glasses since 8th grade, with occasional bouts of contact wearing.  But for last 8-10 years I couldn't wear contacts much because they scratched my eyes and were really uncomfortable.  I would often wear them for special occasions though.  But, I also didn't want red, scratchy eyes on my wedding day. I had looked into LASIK previous and knew I wanted to do it at some point.  DH said that if I planned to do it anyway, I probably wouldn't want to look back and see wedding photos that had glasses because it wouldn't look like me anymore, so I should do it before the wedding.  So, I had LASIK done about 2 months before my wedding (luckily they had a deal for no interest payments for 3 years).  And DH was right... when I look back at our engagement photos, it looks weird to see me in glasses now, even though I wore them for most of my life.  But, surgery certainly isn't the right choice for everyone. 

And I agree that some of those wedding photos with glasses do look amazing.

• Options
    I think your glasses and dress will look great together! Go for it - it's better to look like yourself on your wedding day and feel comfortable. I wear contacts, but I've had friends wear glasses on their wedding day and they always looked beautiful!
  • Options
    I think you should do what makes you happy :D

What I did...I have worn glasses since I was 6. I wear contacts about 4 times a year. I have dailies. I wore contacts on my wedding day. I get new glasses evey year and am known for having funky ones, so I didn't want my glasses to be something I looked back at in photos and say "what was I think with those frames???" I was afraid I would look at them like we now look at puffy sleeves and big headpieces - they were super cute int hat moment, but didn't stand the test of time.

I am in no way saying you shouldn't wear your glasses, I'm just offering my personal story and what I chose to do. You'll be gorgeous no matter what you choose! GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I literally got dailies just for my wedding. I loved our engagement photos, but I felt like sometimes the picture would have been better without my glasses blocking part of my face. I practiced wearing them for a month prior to the wedding. I honestly loved how our wedding photos turned out and I am super happy with my decision. It was nice for my face to be the focus and not my glasses. But I think it's a very personal decision and you need to do what will make you most comfortable and happy.
  • Options
    I will wear mine. I want to look like "me" but a bride, and I've worn glasses every day since I was in 2nd grade, so I wouldn't feel like myself without them. I might take a few portraits with them off, but I will wear them during the ceremony and reception. One of my friends got married with her glasses on and she looked super cute.
  • Options
    Hello!
    As you can see from my picture, my fiancé and I both wear glasses.  We will totally wear our glasses for our ceremony and reception... :-)   We are comfortable with our nerdy (aka sophisticated) look, and it would be non-characteristic of us to wear contacts.  Feel inspired to be YOU on your wedding day! 
  • Options
    Add me to the blind brides who has never worn contacts! I wanted to look like "me" and I also wanted to be able to see, so I went with my glasses on for the big day last month. :) Our photographer was great during the posed shots at letting me know if they were "cutting across" my eyes and had me adjust accordingly. I have no regrets and I think we looked pretty cute! I attached some pics below. These were just my regular, everyday glasses.
  • Options
    I love all you ladies in your specs!!!

So I'm posting this now as a rant: I was visiting my mother for Xmas and I asked her this question. Her response was that I should wear my glasses because they hide the bags under my eyes. I swear, I nearly slapped her!

Moral of the story is I shouldn't ask my mother for her opinion about anything, unless I want to spend the rest of the day feeling bad about myself. Thank God I didn't take her dress shopping!
  • Options
    ill probably wear contacts as my Fi hates my glasses. i stopped wearing my contacts last year in september because they kept rubbing me wrong my eyes needed a break. i think this year i will get new glasses as the ones i am wearing now are 3 years old. then maybe in 2016 get contacts. i miss my dark rimmed glasses and i am thinking of getting a new pair.

• Options
    I love all you ladies in your specs!!!

So I'm posting this now as a rant: I was visiting my mother for Xmas and I asked her this question. Her response was that I should wear my glasses because they hide the bags under my eyes. I swear, I nearly slapped her!

Moral of the story is I shouldn't ask my mother for her opinion about anything, unless I want to spend the rest of the day feeling bad about myself. Thank God I didn't take her dress shopping!
    this is the reason i wear my glasses in  the winter, they hide my dark circles. 
  • Options
    I've worn glasses since I was like 5, and I'll be wearing mine on my wedding day. I wouldn't look or feel like myself without my glasses, and since we're having a nerdy Pi Day wedding, wearing glasses actually fits! My fiance alternates between his glasses and contacts but he'll be wearing his glasses for our wedding as well.
  • Options
    I've worn glasses since I was in elementary or middle school, then I went to contacts and glasses half and half, then my glasses slowly started to win me over all through high school and up until now. With my vision insurance I am allowed 1 eye exam and 1 pair of glasses or a box of contacts, usually I go with the pair of glasses as I get more use out of them, however, I paid out of pocket for the eye exam and the box of contacts (to save my insurance for glasses) just so I could have contacts for my engagement photos and my wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards