Chit Chat
Options

What do I buy?

edited December 2014 in Chit Chat
I posted a few days ago about my family and the whole "SOMEONE MUST HAVE A CHRISTMAS THEMED SHOWER" and that my cousin is having one. 

The invitation states "Please also bring an unwrapped Christmas ornament." That 'also' leads me to think a gift is expected as well. 'kay cool, its a shower. I text my cousin this morning asking if she's registered anywhere. She says No. I write back asking if there are things in particular she and her FI would like to have. She writes back "Just something Christmassy."

Wth do I buy now? In addition to the ornament I've already purchased...

Edited to seem way less catty in case said cousin is a lurker :)
Anniversary

Re: What do I buy?

• Options
    Buy her another Christmas decoration since that's what she told you to buy.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Eh, I'd just bring the ornament. Unless I was super close with them.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Perhaps a Christmassy picture frame?  A lot of my Christmas decorations were gifts, and I love them.  I usually try to somehow note on the gift who gave it to me and when.
  • Options
    I think this is sufficiently Christmassy...don't you? Just put a bow on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'd bring 2 ornaments haha

• Options
    I'm contemplating getting the flu the day of the shower, and just dropping the ornament in the mail. My gift will be not spreading my fictitious highly contagious illness to them. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    If I liked her, I'd get something sparkly that can be used all winter or at least new years. Placemats, table linens, candlesticks, glitter deer.

If you don't like her, get her the ugliest fucking thing you can find. Or one of those singing plush things they sell this time of year.

If you're enh towards her. a second or third ornanment.

Anniversary
  • Options

Well if it were me, I would go to Pier 1 and pick up some gaudy, sparkly thing.

Personally I like gaudy and sparkly, though!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:

I LOVE Pier 1! But since I'm ballin' on a budget, she will be getting something from Target or Walmart.
    Anniversary

• Options
    luckya23 said:

I LOVE Pier 1! But since I'm ballin' on a budget, she will be getting something from Target or Walmart.
    DONE
    http://www.target.com/p/holiday-animated-fox-what-does-the-fox-say/-/A-15706168#prodSlot=medium_1_57

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    chibiyui said: theycallmelinz said: luckya23 said: Well if it were me, I would go to Pier 1 and pick up some gaudy, sparkly thing.Personally I like gaudy and sparkly, though! I LOVE Pier 1! But since I'm ballin' on a budget, she will be getting something from Target or Walmart. DONE
    http://www.target.com/p/holiday-animated-fox-what-does-the-fox-say/-/A-15706168#prodSlot=medium_1_57
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hahahahaha
    YES!

ETF: boxes?
    Anniversary

• Options
    I don't really understand why someone would want a hodge-podge of random xmas decorations picked out by other people....

That said, if you're on a budget, just bring the ornament, some small trinkety thing (obviously it doesn't matter what it is - she doesn't seem to care) and then maybe copy a couple of your xmas cookie recipes for a personal touch.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Christmas ornament AND menorrah.
  • Options
    I would love that wrapping paper container!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    @princessofgenovia Any idea where I can get that? That's pretty awesome!
    Anniversary

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    I would love that wrapping paper container!
    I have another one for regular rest of the year wrapping paper. It's exactly the same just not in Christmas colors.

I'd love something like this eventually:

• Options
    @princessofgenovia Any idea where I can get that? That's pretty awesome!
    The container store.

Only 20 bucks too. Fair warning, the site is addictive you will find other shit to buy.
  • Options
    I just keep mine in a long Rubbermaid tub. Definitely upgrading to that!
  • Options
    Christmas-y liquor. Cuz she's gonna sit down after that shower and look at the pile of Christmas stuff that looks like the Griswalds threw up in her living room and she's gonna need a drink.
    Unfortunately (for her) she doesn't drink. Her family is HUUUUGGGGEEEE religious. Her wedding is a dry wedding =/ However, while buying her that awesome Christmas wrapper container, I may pick up some Christmassy liquor for myself and FI haha
    Anniversary

• Options
    Personally I'd call the bride and ask her where she is registered...let her tell you what she wants.
    I feel bad for her and assume she din't want to tell the cousin "No, I don't want a random Xmas shower bc you don't want it to interfere with the baby shower you want one of us to throw you in the Spring."
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    While a little unusual, I do not see this as a big deal.   Registries are helpful but they are not a requirement.   Just like a birthday or xmas gift pick out something the couple would like.

One think I like to have is serving trays, chip/dip dish, cheese board with knives. You can pick either an xmas one or a neutral one to use year round.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Personally I'd call the bride and ask her where she is registered...let her tell you what she wants.
    I feel bad for her and assume she din't want to tell the cousin "No, I don't want a random Xmas shower bc you don't want it to interfere with the baby shower you want one of us to throw you in the Spring."
    OP did ask her - she's not registered anywhere.

• Options
    How about a burlap reindeer pillow? The perfect thing to rest your sleepy head on while you snooze through college football bowl games.

• Options
    My bad, I'm getting all the engaged/preggo cousins confused from this storyline.

Still feel bad for her. She might not want people to feel obligated to buy another gift since the hostess told everyone to bring an ornament. If I was the bride I feel bad and would be embarrassed felling like the guest were being shaken down for two gifts since they were given a directive (which I find rude).
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    My bad, I'm getting all the engaged/preggo cousins confused from this storyline.

Still feel bad for her. She might not want people to feel obligated to buy another gift since the hostess told everyone to bring an ornament. If I was the bride I feel bad and would be embarrassed felling like the guest were being shaken down for two gifts since they were given a directive (which I find rude).
    The bolded: Me too girl, and it's my family lol 
    Anniversary

• Options

Ugh this. Not to hijack the thread, but I went to a baby shower 2 years ago. The hostess used a Facebook Event to invite everybody (that's cool), and then also used the Facebook Event to set up a poll that the invitees could use to respond what they were bringing to the potluck! And not only were we expected to bring a gift AND a potluck item, but we were TOLD what potluck items to bring. As in "We need 3 people to sign up to bring a case of bottled water each. We need 2 people to bring potato salad. We need 3 people to bring sodas and ice. Please respond to this poll with what you are bringing so we won't get too much potato salad!" AND ON TOP OF THAT, we were told that, in lieu of bringing cards, we should bring our favorite baby book. I loved the idea of the baby book, and then we all wrote sweet notes inside the baby books so they were a sentimental thing and children can never have too many books IMO. But books are usually a helluva lot more expensive than cards.
    The real kicker? The mother to be is a doctor, and the father to be is a kept man. They are rolling in money. They have two homes. One is a 150 year historic home that actually has a name... the type of home that gets pointed out on town tours and whatnot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards