Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Getting ready photo outfits?

I'm getting married in Santa Barbara, CA in March 2015.  It's going to be an extremely small and low-key wedding - only allowed 25 in our space, including us! - and I've arranged for our photographer to come to my suite shortly before the ceremony and get a few "getting ready" photos of me and my four bridesmaids.  I don't have the funds to buy a bunch of matching robes and I'm not keen on matching, personalized t-shirts...  Do you ladies have any ideas for what kinds of outfits we could wear in the pictures (assuming we aren't already dressed)?  I don't want to give my bridesmaids getting-ready-photo uniforms, but I would like to give them ideas of what to wear in case their pre-wedding looks are captured in any photos... any thoughts?

Re: Getting ready photo outfits?

• Options
    I would just let them wear what they want, though you can inform them that there may be a few photos in case they're uncomfortable and want to step out or if they want to make sure theyre comfortable in what they are wearing. Don't waste your money on the uniforms or anything.
  • Options
    I recommend they wear their BM dresses.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    There was a bride on here that posted a few pictures from her wedding day, and I think she had gotten new pajamas for herself that she could rewear and they were adorable (red with little scottie dogs and hearts, I believe).  Anyways, wear whatever you want to wear, and just tell who else will be in the room with you getting ready that there will be a photographer (I would want to know so that I don't look like shit when I come in and start getting photographed like *surprise*) and they can figure out what they wear just fine.
  • Options
    Let them wear whatever they want. I would be so annoyed if I had to wear a designated outfit for getting ready. I would want to be in whatever I normally wear and is comfortable for getting ready in. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Just let them wear what they want.  I normally wear a button down shirt and a pair of jeans. That is what I'm most comfortable wearing getting ready.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Just give them a heads up that the photographer will be coming in to take "getting ready" photos. Then let them determine what they want to wear.  

Honestly, this is one of those things that you shouldn't even give two seconds of thought to.

• Options
    I think the pajamas idea is really cute assuming you either provide matching pajamas or are okay with the girls all wearing their own! Some may not feel comfortable in anything too cheesy but even some cute plaid shorts and a tshirt could be cute!
  • Options
    Another vote for letting them wear what they want, and giving them a head's up that the photog is coming. 
  • Options
    I agree you shouldn't hint that you want them to wear something specific, but I like the reminder that there will be photos. I actually didn't think about this at all, and wore a ridiculous t-shirt with a cat DJing on it while getting ready. DJ Cat will be forever preserved in my getting ready wedding photos and my wedding video. Probably wasn't the best decision. 
  • Options
    jenijoyk said:
    I agree you shouldn't hint that you want them to wear something specific, but I like the reminder that there will be photos. I actually didn't think about this at all, and wore a ridiculous t-shirt with a cat DJing on it while getting ready. DJ Cat will be forever preserved in my getting ready wedding photos and my wedding video. Probably wasn't the best decision. 

You should do a photo recap on here, y'know, because we love weddings and pictures, and because I'm sure those are the cutest getting ready pictures ever.
  • Options
    I wore yoga pants and a button down shirt to get ready in. I didn't get any getting ready photos taken because I wasn't comfortable with that. I would not let a photographer take pictures of me in my pajamas so if you are thinking of going that route you may want to check with your girls first.
  • Options
    I wore a set of lavender (my fav color) pajamas that I already had.  My mom, MOH, and FMIL all wore what they wanted.  I don't even remember what they wore, but it was obviously whatever they wanted since they picked it.  Photographer snapped a few of me, my mom, but that's it.  I haven't done my wedding album yet, but "getting ready" won't be nearly the thought I give to cupcakes, dress, party, etc.  Thankfully I've never been told what to wear in any of the weddings I've been in.  Although I have donated multiple miscellaneous robes to Salvation Army through the years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards