Chit Chat
Options

virtual hugs, please?

13»

Re: virtual hugs, please?

• Options
    AddieCake said:

Regarding the OP, I think throwing the card in the fire was overly dramatic. 

*shrug* It was how I handled my anger.
  • Options

Ugh, how insensitive! Sorry your family was definitely lacking in tact :( since when are marriage and babies the be all end all of success?

Hopefully you don't let it get to you too much and just focus on having an awesome holiday!

Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better since the OP. I'm looking forward to seeing my sister and her husband tomorrow as well as the rest of my family.
  • Options

CMGragain said:

OP, I do think that you are being a little bit over sensitive, but your feelings are valid, nevertheless.

My late mother used to go on and on about her perfect grandchild - my sister's boy.  According to her, the kid walked on water.  He was brilliant and loving, and everything a grandmother could want.
    Hello?  I have two children.  What about them?
    Fast forward 30 years.  My daughter has a master's degree, and is taking time out from her teaching career to be at home with my first grandson.  My son is single, and makes a huge salary as a computer software engineer.  Both kids own their own homes in the Washington, DC, area.  I have always been proud of both of them, even if my mother was not.
    Mr. Perfect, my nephew, spent a lot of time in juvenile detention.  He dropped out of school, and fled the state to go to California and farm pot.  I can't believe anything I hear about him anymore.  He was high at his grandmother's funeral.  He has never paid a dime in taxes or social security.  He has no bank account.  My sister hesitates to talk about him.  He is her only child by a previous marriage.
    God Bless the Child Who Got His Own.  Don't worry about what other people say about your life.  Just live it with pride and integrity.  It will pay off.  Hugs.  I hope next year brings wonderful things for you.

Entitlement, jealousy, mean spirited, any other words that describe this post that I missed?

Talking about "god" at the end of such a mean spirited post had me chuckling. I'm an atheist though so I may be missing something, but seriously, hypocritical much?

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    edited December 2014
    MagicInk said:

The upside of not being pregnant, you can drink. I'm just saying.

Absolutely. We do a secret Santa exchange in our family. We each made lists of what we would like. Mine had a few things, including wine.
  • Options
    @addiecake I quoted because I agreed with you?
  • Options
    Also, I got a kind text from my mom yesterday. She sees how it hurt me and she apologized.
  • Options
    @addiecake I quoted because I agreed with you?
    I understand that you agreed with me on the fire, but my point was that there was no need to reiterate how you felt about CMGr's post, and agreeing with me about the fire and your feelings on CMGr's post were not related, so it was odd that you would say, "Yes, but....." and then repeat how you felt about CMGr's post following your agreement with me about the fire, as if I had compared the two comments. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I guess I'm odd then. Apologies for drawing conclusions.

• Options
    Sorry about the letter, Gauc.

If it makes you feel any better - I typically throw those letters out without reading them. So I would have assumed you were all equally awesome :+1:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    MegEn1 said:

CMGragain said:

OP, I do think that you are being a little bit over sensitive, but your feelings are valid, nevertheless.

My late mother used to go on and on about her perfect grandchild - my sister's boy.  According to her, the kid walked on water.  He was brilliant and loving, and everything a grandmother could want.
    Hello?  I have two children.  What about them?
    Fast forward 30 years.  My daughter has a master's degree, and is taking time out from her teaching career to be at home with my first grandson.  My son is single, and makes a huge salary as a computer software engineer.  Both kids own their own homes in the Washington, DC, area.  I have always been proud of both of them, even if my mother was not.
    Mr. Perfect, my nephew, spent a lot of time in juvenile detention.  He dropped out of school, and fled the state to go to California and farm pot.  I can't believe anything I hear about him anymore.  He was high at his grandmother's funeral.  He has never paid a dime in taxes or social security.  He has no bank account.  My sister hesitates to talk about him.  He is her only child by a previous marriage.
    God Bless the Child Who Got His Own.  Don't worry about what other people say about your life.  Just live it with pride and integrity.  It will pay off.  Hugs.  I hope next year brings wonderful things for you.

Seriously? You're happy to see your nephew do poorly in life because he was the favorite grandchild?

Yeah! That kid totally got what he deserved! Little spoiled brat. Justice!

I think she meant to say that just because grandmama doesn't have as high opinion of other children as she did nephew, it goes to show that the other children aren't lesser because of it.

But, you know. Go ahead and take the most inappropriate interpretation and run with it if that makes you feel good.

Well that isnt what she said. Usually I like CMGr very much, but the post I commented on struck me as awfully mean spirited.
  • Options

Sorry about the letter, Gauc.

If it makes you feel any better - I typically throw those letters out without reading them. So I would have assumed you were all equally awesome :+1:
    Thanks, @photokitty‌! I usually skim the letters since I'm already friends with most people on Facebook and know what they are doing. But, I did find out that the baby is now kicking, so I'm excited to feel it this weekend!
  • Options
    I'm not saying you should take this outlook, Kristan, or that you don't already but what has helped me a lot was becoming proud of myself.

My parents never did a Christmas newsletter or put things in a card like yours do. And they have always told me they were really proud of me. But I never really believed it. My dad's best friend's son is an NFL player. My dad coached their son in pee-wee and we were all close growing up. Anyway, when my parents retired 10 years ago they traveled the country with my dad's best friend going to all of the games. It was right when I was trying to build a business and was broke and lost. I felt like I didn't have the kind of success that my childhood friend had that would make my parents proud. I did a lot of self-pitying back then.

Now that I have achieved a lot of superficial successes, they don't matter to me the way I thought they would. I'm happy I did them, but they aren't what define me. I'm proud of being a thoughtful person and doing a lot of volunteer work, and helping people in my regular line of work and the small, basic every day stuff I do. IDGAF if someone's a CEO or has a clean slate with the police, has never made a mistake or earns gazillions of dollars. I have less than perfect parts to my story. But I'm in a place where I really like who I am as a human being. And that has made all of the difference regarding my feelings of self-worth.

• Options
    Thanks for the insight, @lc07‌ :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards