Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception without DJ?

Has anyone ever had (or gone to) a traditional reception with dancing that didn't have a DJ--and if so, could you share how it went? My fiance and I really don't want a DJ--we just want to create a playlist and play it on the venue's speakers. My dad, however, is adamant that we need a DJ--I think he's mostly concerned about not having an MC of sorts.

For context--we are having a lunch reception with 75 people. There will be dancing, but I doubt as much dancing as at a night wedding. We will have toasts and say grace, so I'm not really sure what other announcements or transitions would be necessary. (We won't be doing the announced "entrance" thing.) We'll have a cellist play during the meal and then we'll switch to dance music and just invite people to dance if they'd like. 

Any experience or words of wisdom?

Re: Reception without DJ?

• Options
    About 3/4 of the many, many non-family weddings I have been to have not had a DJ . None of the weddings in my family have ever had one.

When there is a dance band live, someone is their designated person for a few announcements.
    If all music is recorded, some friend or WP person or relative will usually see to an announcement or dedication for special dances.

Always fine. What is important is to have a couple of different types of music in blocks of 30 - 45 minutes, not all the same. Some social or currently popular stuff, some more timeless romantic slow dancing. Keep in mind that there is a generational mix, and also that older and younger relatives will dance together, not just people with their own SO.

Great Aunt Millie does not want to dance with her great nephew to something with a driving beat, and pelvic movements.
  • Options
    I have been to a few weddings that didn't have a DJ and had a playlist set up on an iPod.

Most didn't really work out that well.  The advantage to having a good DJ is that they have the ability to read the crowd and change up the music selections on the fly to keep people on the dancefloor.  But if you aren't too concerned with keeping it packed because it's an adfternoon reception, then the playlist may work out ok.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    My daughter did this at her brunch reception.  It was fine, if a bit long.  I, personally, do not like DJs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I have been to weddings that choose to do this and it almost always falls apart and leads to an awkward dance. But their weddings had a lot more people attending then yours so it could work out since it doesn't sound like the dance is that important to you.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding without a DJ recently.  The couple set up and IPOD of songs.  I think it *could* work if the songs are good dancing songs, but the wedding I went to didn't really have danceable music.  It was kind of a bust.  I would def be sure to include songs that you think people would dance to, and not just songs you like (which is where I think this couple went wrong).
  • Options
    Yes, and it seems like it's a stuggle to get people on the dance floor. The weddings i've been to with a DJ, it seems easier to get people on the floor.
  • Options
    kcsmith87 said:
    Yes, and it seems like it's a stuggle to get people on the dance floor. The weddings i've been to with a DJ, it seems easier to get people on the floor.
    But if you're not concerned about getting people on the floor, then I wouldn't worry about it.  I plan on playing un-danceable music on an iPod, stuff like Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, and of course Frank.  So, I guess if some people want to dance, they can, but it's not really that kind of wedding. KWIM?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards