Chit Chat

Talk to me about Juice Cleanses

Re: Talk to me about Juice Cleanses

• @amelisha, Not trying to start a fight either, and I respect your opinion.  However, I don't think it's irresponsible to give information or recommendations on juicing, as consuming fruits and vegetables - whether juiced or not - is known to be good for you. Recent studies have indicated that adding up to seven servings of fruits and vegetables a day can have a significant impact on your lifespan; thus adding juices and smoothies to one's diet is an easy way to get more fruits and veggies.  I agree that juicing does remove fiber (it comes out in the pulp), but the juices still retain vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Also, the pulp can be added back into the juice as well (although some people aren't too keen on drinking it). 

I understand there is controversy regarding the term "detox", and that's it's not believed scientifically that such a thing is needed. But I wanted to share my experiences for the OP, as I honestly feel amazing when I drink juices (whether just for breakfast, or a more lengthy fast). Doing a juice cleanse is not for everyone, and for many is definitely not recommended unless performed under a doctor's discretion. 
  • @teenabeenerz‌ detoxes are not just "not believed scientifically," they're scientifically disproven. Know what IS scientifically proven? Placebo effect, where you think something should work so you believe that it is working.
    I wasn't gonna go there, but...yes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @amelisha You are actually getting more than sugar with juicing - the only thing the juicer removes is the fiber. As I said, I respect your opinion, and am not trying to make anyone believe mine. But the OP asked a question and I wanted to provide my opinion, as have others in this thread. 

@lolo863 I am familiar with placebo effect, but from the first detox I did, I went into it with a very skeptical mindset, and was surprised by how my body actually ending up feeling from an objective standpoint. As far as juice cleanses being disproven, it depends entirely on the study - some studies have shown that juicing provides the body with a larger influx of vitamins and nutrients, while giving the digestive system a chance to relax; other show that they can be beneficial for individuals by breaking bad eating patterns. Others show that it is not truly necessary to allow the digestive system to rest, and that long term juicing can temporarily slow down metabolism.

@southernbelle0915 The study indicated that adding that amount of fruits and veggies increases lifespan, and that those who find eating seven servings a day daunting or are just unable to do so can instead juice them and still receive those benefits. 
  • edited January 2015
    Nobody's disputing that there are nutrients in juice. We're denying that it's a proper, heathy or responsible way to fuel and nourish your body for longer than a few hours. Juicing should act as a supplement to a balanced diet, not a replacement for whole foods.

• I will say as someone with IBS, all the fiber in a veggie smoothie is really hard on my stomach versus me drinking a veggie juice. There have been peer-reviewed studies that fiber can exacerbate symptoms of IBS, so maybe that's what PP was getting at regarding giving your system a rest? Otherwise, yeah, I have no idea what giving your system a "rest" means.
  • Regarding fruit juice specifically I've had 2 doctors and my dietitian tell me to be very careful with fruit juice. Even all natural no sugar added fruit juice has a lot of sugar.

They explained it like this: say one orange has 5 grams of sugar (made up value), so if you eat 1 orange you get 5 grams of sugar. But to make an entire glass of orange juice you'll need at least 5 oranges (still made up). So now you'll eat 5 oranges at once, meaning 25 grams of sugar.

According to them, keeping food in its wholest form is best. A glass of fruit juice every so often is no big deal. But as a replacement to regular fruits they strongly recommend against it. Which I've never been a big fruit juice fan. Always leaves me feeling kind of sick, because of all the sugar.

Just something to keep in mind if you have any issues with sugar/blood sugar.
  • amelisha said:
    Come on. This stuff hurts my brain and my soul, quite frankly, and it is so disappointing that people are gullible enough to fall for it. Just eat food. There's a reason that doctors and dietitians no longer recommend more than 4oz of juice a day even for kids. 
    Again, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I would not resort to talking down to you just because I disagree with you. Can't we engage in a debate without devolving into that? 

The truth is, one can easily find articles for both sides of many arguments. Scientific experiments are sometimes manipulated to achieve the desired results, while anecdotal evidence is often discredited merely for not being scientific. I am personally more open-minded to anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences, as well as the accounts of others (both that I have read about and personally known). If I am curious about something that seems doubtful, I will test it myself (which is why I did my first juice fast). 

We don't have to believe the same things, and that's fine. But the fact that you have an opinion that I disagree with doesn't mean I am going to speak down to you as a result.

• atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    I actually had good luck with a modified 7-day cleanse.  It had some food involved, but it was all very clean food.  By the end, I felt less hungry.  Now day three, I'd kill a bitch for a cupcake.  I was headachy and hangry.  But by 7, it all didn't seem so bad. 

Two words of warning: the effects wear off.  You'll like feeling all light and less bloated, you won't mind the veggies at night...for a few weeks, maybe even a month.  Then you get invited out for pizza, fall off the wagon, and you're back at square one eating processed junk.  I'd say mine lasted about a month before I "relapsed."  I didn't lose a ton of weight, but it made me less preoccupied with food and more desirous of change to healthier, natural things.  Until wings and beer night hit because our sports team had a big game.  I might do it again soon just to "reset" my frame of mind and get back on the veggie and lean things wagon.  

Next, modify your exercise until you know how you'll react.  After juices so far all day, but before dinner, I went to bootcamp.  Lifted weights above my head and got the spins and speckled vision.  Almost passed out.  Heavy exertion probably isn't advisable.
  • kat1114 said:
    I will say as someone with IBS, all the fiber in a veggie smoothie is really hard on my stomach versus me drinking a veggie juice. There have been peer-reviewed studies that fiber can exacerbate symptoms of IBS, so maybe that's what PP was getting at regarding giving your system a rest? Otherwise, yeah, I have no idea what giving your system a "rest" means.
    Interesting. I have IBS and fiber is the only thing that makes it feel better. I have to eat a gross fiber cookie daily.
  • I tried. 

Guess I better go eat some fruit snacks or something.

Don't tell TB...wait, is there a fruit snacks cleanse? 
    As a matter of a fact, there is! Sugar free haribo gummy bears (see my link on pg 1). Close enough. :)
    LOL.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • arrippa said:
    kat1114 said:
    I will say as someone with IBS, all the fiber in a veggie smoothie is really hard on my stomach versus me drinking a veggie juice. There have been peer-reviewed studies that fiber can exacerbate symptoms of IBS, so maybe that's what PP was getting at regarding giving your system a rest? Otherwise, yeah, I have no idea what giving your system a "rest" means.
    Interesting. I have IBS and fiber is the only thing that makes it feel better. I have to eat a gross fiber cookie daily.
    I feel like with IBS finding what works for you is such a crap shoot (no pun intended). What works for one person, can wreak havoc on another. Here's how the doctors in one study explained a possibility for their findings:

"The role of dietary fiber in constipation is analogous to cars in traffic congestion. The only way to alleviate slow traffic would be to decrease the number of cars and to evacuate the remaining cars quickly. Should we add more cars, the congestion would only be worsened."

• I would not recommend a juice cleanse but I would recommend adding homemade juices and smoothies to your everyday diet. These add nutrients to your day to day life and are a filling, delicious, and nutritious way to get fruit and veggies in your system.

Since I've started drinking fruit and veggie smoothies (I don't juice because I don't have a juicer and I'd rather get the full fruit instead of just the juice) I've been feeling better and more energetic. I'll have one for breakfast and sometimes as a snack. There are a ton of great smoothie recipes and I can share some if you'd like.

Green smoothies get all the attention but I like purple smoothies. I use blueberries, kale, spinach, and whatever other fruit I feel like putting in. Usually a banana or pineapple.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Are you kidding me? Any manipulation of scientific data is considered scientific misconduct. This includes setting up experiments in a manner that ensures you get the results you want. This is one of the most unethical things you can do as a scientist and it has ended scientific careers. If manipulated data actually makes it through the peer review process (highly unlikely) and independent research groups can't replicate the same findings it calls into question the results and investigations occur to determine if there was an experimental error or data manipulation.

I just searched the NIH National Library of Medicine. There are 4 articles on juice cleansing, all pertaining to bowel cleansing for colonoscopy. There are no peer reviewed publications on the benefits of juice cleansing for every day life.

Anecdotal evidence is not scientific. There are no blinded treatment groups. There is no experimental control. There are no standardized questionnaires. There are no standardized measures of benefit or harm. Without any of the basics of the scientific method you have no idea if the results you see are directly related to the given treatment because you have no highly controlled, untreated comparison.

I definitely agree that scientific studies have their place, and the majority of descriptive studies may yield useful results, but that doesn't mean they all do. The scientist that discovered gluten intolerance (Peter Gibson) later discredited his own 2011 study when he realized the study did not indicate what was causing the subjects' gluten intolerance. He re-did the study with a much higher level of detail and determined that in contrast to his initial study, he could find no specific response to gluten in the participants. 

Yes, manipulation of data is scientific misconduct; but it does happen at times, whether intentionally or inadvertently. I actually recently read about a study performed where about 2% of the scientists questioned admitted to having modified or fabricated data and results. There have also been other examples of statistical misuse so that the data is manipulated to fit a pre-defined conclusion. 

I think science is great, truly. But I also like to keep an open mind where anecdotal evidence is concerned as well. Should everyone juice fast? No. But when done properly so that the juices contain mostly veggies (about 80% veggies/20% fruit is ideal), and barring any health issues that would be contraindicated, drinking fresh juices can be highly beneficial to incorporate into one's diet.
  • KatWAG said:
    mrsdee15 said:
    FI and I started a thing for cooking that we call one-ingredient ingredients.  It's our way of making sure we're eating in a more healthy way and avoiding hidden things in processed/packaged food.  So, for example, if I make marinara sauce, I use carrots (one ingredient in carrots - carrot), onion (one ingredient in onion - onion), tomatoes (I'm sure you get it by now), and basil.  That way we know we're not putting extra sugar, salt, or anything else in our bodies.  Also, we try to eat lean proteins and veggies as much as we can.  Eating too much pasta, white bread, rice, etc. gives me bad lower belly aches, so that's cut out for both eating well and because I don't like being in pain.

We also got a food scale and are learning what real servings of food look like.  It makes a difference.  There was a show on the BBC (not sure if it's around anymore), but it really inspired me to first start learning about nutrition and eating better.  It's called "You Are What You Eat."  If you're into that kind of show, you may find it interesting.  

Sugar-free candy = farts.  All the farts.  (That word still makes me giggle.)
    So...what do you put the marinara sauce ON if you don't do pasta? 

(I'm kidding. And this is all great advice.)
    Spaghetti Squash
    My friend made spaghetti squash to go under marinara and meatballs.  It was so good!  I really want to start doing that instead of eating pasta.  The spaghetti squash was a bit crunchy, but I actually found I really liked it.
    Preach it, @amelisha‌
    Seconded. I love making smoothies/juices, because they taste damn good. But I have no delusions of any real health/weight loss benefits.
    Absolutely. I love green smoothies as a quicker and much more palatable way to get in 2 cups of spinach. But it's not a "detox" or a "cleanse," it's just a meal. (With avocado, pineapple, OJ and brown rice protein powder, YUM.)
    I am super interested in trying this, but haven't yet because it grosses me out. Like, can you actually taste the spinach? Because I am so not down with that.
    I used to make smoothies for breakfast, and I need to get back into it.  I would use strawberries, plain yogurt, a little milk, vanilla and a handful of spinach. The spinach could maybe be tasted a little bit, but it wasn't bad.  I would sometimes add a touch extra vanilla to hep cover the taste.
  • kat1114 said:
    arrippa said:
    kat1114 said:
    I feel like with IBS finding what works for you is such a crap shoot (no pun intended). What works for one person, can wreak havoc on another. Here's how the doctors in one study explained a possibility for their findings:

"The role of dietary fiber in constipation is analogous to cars in traffic congestion. The only way to alleviate slow traffic would be to decrease the number of cars and to evacuate the remaining cars quickly. Should we add more cars, the congestion would only be worsened."

To the bolded: Yes, exactly. The struggle is real. I feel like to say "fiber is good for IBS sufferers" is maybe using too broad a brush, because not all fiber sources are the same. I've found this list to be super helpful in figuring out what my triggers are, though: http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/complete+fodmap+list+for+a+happy+gut
  • I have never wanted to do a cleanse ever. I like food too much. I also get that once you put crap through a juicer you lose a lot of what's good for you.

I don't have a juicer just a pretty damn good blender. I also physically can't eat solid food before 10. If I throw I all this green smoothie stuff in the blender and go about my day with normal food am I still ok.

I was considering doing this starting next week with my next grocery trip, but all the stress on it being to high sugar has scared me off.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    esstee33 said:
    kat1114 said:
    arrippa said:
    kat1114 said:

To the bolded: Yes, exactly. The struggle is real. I feel like to say "fiber is good for IBS sufferers" is maybe using too broad a brush, because not all fiber sources are the same. I've found this list to be super helpful in figuring out what my triggers are, though: http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/blog/complete+fodmap+list+for+a+happy+gut
    I never said it was good for IBS  sufferers, I said it was for me.  I just thought it was interesting that it made hers worse while it made my stomach feel better. 
  • Okay, but you claimed that you could find scientific studies that support the benefits of "juice cleansing". Show us.
    Actually, I didn't say that. I did say that scientific studies can be manipulated to achieve desired results. The truth is, there haven't been many scientific studies on juicing long term, but there have been numerous anecdotal ones (which are then discredited by the scientific community for not being peer reviewed). The scientific studies that I have read indicate that fresh fruit and vegetable juices are beneficial to incorporate into one's diet. These studies also tend to focus on specific types of juice (such as beet root juice demonstrating its effectiveness in lowering blood pressure).
    2% of scientists are liars? Shit, I'll take those odds. By that math, scientists must be the most honest group of human beings on the planet.
    Really? See, I view it much differently - scientists are meant to be unbiased; the fact that some of them openly admit to modifying study results isn't something I find reassuring, but rather very concerning. 

Look, I used to completely disbelieve these types of things too. But my curiosity was piqued the more I read about it, so I decided to try it for myself. For the first several days that I did my first long-term juice fast, I felt like shit and was ready to throw in the towel. But after a week I felt incredible - increased mental clarity, increased energy, vastly improved mental state. I maintain a very healthy diet regularly, so I didn't expect to feel the way I did, but the change in how I felt physically and mentally while juicing long term was undeniable. 

But as I've said several times during this discussion, juicing long-term is not for everyone. I wanted to provide OP with my own personal experience because for me, it was a markedly positive one. 
  • Okay, but you claimed that you could find scientific studies that support the benefits of "juice cleansing". Show us.
    Actually, I didn't say that. I did say that scientific studies can be manipulated to achieve desired results. The truth is, there haven't been many scientific studies on juicing long term, but there have been numerous anecdotal ones (which are then discredited by the scientific community for not being peer reviewed). The scientific studies that I have read indicate that fresh fruit and vegetable juices are beneficial to incorporate into one's diet. These studies also tend to focus on specific types of juice (such as beet root juice demonstrating its effectiveness in lowering blood pressure).
    Actually, you sort of did. Right here. 
    Again, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I would not resort to talking down to you just because I disagree with you. Can't we engage in a debate without devolving into that? 

The truth is, one can easily find articles for both sides of many arguments. Scientific experiments are sometimes manipulated to achieve the desired results, while anecdotal evidence is often discredited merely for not being scientific. I am personally more open-minded to anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences, as well as the accounts of others (both that I have read about and personally known). If I am curious about something that seems doubtful, I will test it myself (which is why I did my first juice fast). 

We don't have to believe the same things, and that's fine. But the fact that you have an opinion that I disagree with doesn't mean I am going to speak down to you as a result.

The bolded implies that you can easily find a (reputable) article for your side. Show me.
  • @ashley8919 No, I said anecdotal, not scientific. Regarding my "side", what side is that exactly? My initial contribution to this discussion was my own experience with juicing fasting, which I stated from the beginning is not advisable to everyone (and certainly not for weight loss), but I wanted to provide my experience to the OP as it was, after all, her question. I also stated that incorporating juices and smoothies into one's diet can be beneficial and healthy. 

But here are a couple of articles as requested, from a very quick google search.
    This article states the lack of scientific evidence for juice fasting, but still notes juicing benefits.
    This article mentions the lack of need for a "detox", but again states that incorporating juices in your diet is a good way to consume more fruits and veggies.

Again, let me reiterate - juice fasting is not for everyone, and in some cases is contraindicated. But adding fresh juices to your diet (again, primarily 80% veggie/20% fruit) can be beneficial to any diet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards