Not Engaged Yet

Tuesday!!

2»

Re: Tuesday!!

• Ι feel like my head would explode any minute or just pop off.
    I spent all day on the computer tracking materials/prices,calculating,adding,
    searching and I'm still not done.It's hard to work and trying to propose things
    with no specific demands.Plus on Thursday I might get stuff together and pass
    some subjects at the university and I'm not thrilled,as I totally missed it.
    This week is too much already,and I don't like it at all.

• I've had a very busy day so far. I accidentally set my alarm for PM instead of AM (haven't done that in a while!) and got in just in time for the lecture for the class I'm a teaching assistant for. The prof likes the TAs to attend lecture if they haven't taught the course before, which I haven't. But the course is overenrolled, so there aren't even enough seats in the classroom for the students! Yikes. We'll see how crowded the lecture hall is next week.

This is a "short" week for me because I had yesterday off, and I have JURY DUTY on Thursday >:(
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Well while @swazzle was enjoying the excitement of new home ownership, I was being introduced to the sucky side of it :( Friday night the FD came knocking at my door to inform me that it looked like my water line busted. Three days and multiple water company techs later, it for sure is busted. The plumber came by today and not only to I have to replace the entire line from the meter to the house, but when my mom bought the house she had a electric furnace installed. The HVAC company put the damned furnace RIGHT IN FRONT OF the water shut off valve. So close to it that they are touching! So now the plumber is going to have to rip up the inside of the house to move the water line into the house, to a new location. And the cherry on top? It's going to mean 2 weeks without water. 
    Excuse me while I go play in traffic...
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @beanbot2002 that is horrible! Do you have anywhere you can stay so you have access to water?

• Riss2893Riss2893 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @southernpeach89, I hope you get everything figured out with the insurance company!

@CocoBellaF, your dress sounds amazing!

@Peaseblossom55, hope your day has gotten better!

@Swazzle, Congratulations on the new house and being reunited with your furbabies!!

@lmcooper86, I hope you get the car situation figured out soon, and I'm sorry about your FMIL butting in. It sounds exactly like something mine would do. She butts into our business way too much.

@beanbot2002, I'm sorry, that sounds awful! Hopefully you have someone close to you so you don't have to be without water!
    ---------------

I only have classes on Mondays and Wednesdays (and didn't yesterday because of the holiday), so today is a somewhat lazy day for me. I've spent the last hour on the phone, rescheduling a doctor's appointment we had to cancel last week because FI was sick, and now I've been on hold with Social Security for 30 minutes (so far...last Friday I was on hold for an hour before I gave up). I've also been cleaning out my inbox. I always vow to never let it get this bad again...and then I do. 
    I need to work on some homework, maybe do a workout, and shower.  Then later I'll start getting stuff around for dinner. 

• COUCH ADVICE PLZ

J and I are making a big IKEA trip sometime early next month. We're going to be getting a new bed, new dressers, and a new couch, as well as miscellaneous other furniture. However, we've come across a really irritating problem.

The couch we wanted to get from IKEA is the KARLSTAD sectional couch, but it looks like IKEA might be discontinuing it. It's not available online at all, and it doesn't seem to be in stock at our local store either.

Our options at IKEA are now basically to either get a love seat and couch from the KARLSTAD series, or to get an EKTORP sectional. We really, really want a sectional because I like to lie down on the couch, but we don't have to have to sit on separate couches. There just isn't enough room to get a couch with a chaise lounge or an ottoman, so we'd have to get an EKTORP, which is really much less appealing to me (both on an aesthetic level and on a practical level, since it's much smaller than the KARLSTAD).

Meanwhile, there is a sale at Pottery Barn right now, and we could get a Buchanan sectional for 25% off. It's not perfect; I'd still prefer something a little more midcentury modern, it's a lot more expensive than the IKEA couches, and it's not as long as the KARLSTAD (but a little longer than the EKTORP). Additionally, we'd have to decide by tomorrow if we want it; we can't afford it at the full price.

What do you guys think? Or is there something else you'd recommend?
    Anniversary
  • @beanbot2002 - That is AWFUL! I'm so sorry. I hope the 2 weeks go by super quickly. 

• @phira have you checked out Bob's?  When I lived in MA that's where everyone got deals on furniture, though I don't think their quality is that great.  
  • @speakeasy14 I'll look into it. I'm not sure it's worth having J do Bob impressions.
    Anniversary
  • @phira I have the EKTORP chair from Ikea, and it's held up really well over the past 3 or 4 years, and it's really comfortable. I think @allusive007 bought that one as well to use as her rocker. My only complaint is the cost of their fabric covers... I had to stick with white because the gray fabric cover was $200. The price difference is pretty crazy between Ikea and Pottery Barn... does Pottery Barn at least offer a delivery option?

@beanbot2002 Holy crap! I'm so sorry! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @eilis1228 PB delivery is about $125. With the discount (which is good through tomorrow), the sofa we'd want is about $1500 instead of $2000.
    Anniversary
  • @Phira & @eilis1228- We did purchase the IKEA Ektorp chair for our nursery. It is currently built and being used...we just haven't converted it to a rocker yet. It's very comfortable. I agree though, it's not the same "look" as the Karlstad if that's what you're going for.

Have you checked out Cost Plus World Market or Pier 1 Imports? I feel like i've seen sofas there that look similar to the Karlstad. No idea on price though. I've also had luck purchasing furniture on Overstock too. I know you can't try it out ahead of time which is important with something like a sofa...but I did purchase my dining set there a couple years ago and love it! Just some ideas.

• @phira- I never really liked the IKEA couches. I guess they aren't comfortable to me and a little expensive for something I have to figure out. I recommend Jordan's...and it's in the same plaza as IKEA! Maybe go into Jordan's to see if anything appeals to you and then go into IKEA and see how the Jordan's couches compare. I think Bob's quality sucks. I had a couch for 1 year and the bottom fell out. I weigh about 110 lbs, no idea how that happened to me. 

@beanbot2002 That's terrible! What a fucking nightmare. I'm so sorry that it's plumbing and no water for 2 weeks. Like other PPs have asked, do you have somewhere to stay?
  • Thanks, everyone! I'm checking out Pier 1, overstock, Bob's, and Jordan's. My old roommate had an EKTORP sectional, and it was just fine, but like I said, I think it's kind of ugly (and I'd prefer a sectional that's a sofa + love seat instead of two love seats--damn you, IKEA, the KARLSTAD was perfect). It's definitely a back up. But @500days, EXCELLENT suggestion about Jordans! I keep forgetting that it's right next to that IKEA.
    Anniversary
  • marylabmarylab member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @phira KARLSTAD is discontinued from here too,most likely for such
    a popular line it will be back shortly with a different name.
    I'm pro IKEA,even with a carpenter Fi,three years later and 3 moves,
    money well spent.We want a sectional too for the same reasons and
    I'm couch hunting for months now.It's both a matter of space and functionality.
    We sat on every couch and I'm eyeing FRIHETEN (works as bed for guests too)
    which had another name and KIVIK.A big difference in size and price but they're the most comfy to me.I love EKTORP but it's too shallow and too soft for others.
    Then I found this one on SALE.It's a favorite store of mine,and it's a comfy piece too.
    But,I'm thinking about trying with IKEA and KIVIK.We can get a KARLSTAD size KIVIK,if we go with the loveseat and add the ottoman to ge
    t a sectional.There is the one-section/sezlong option too.

@beanbot2002 Omg!Why things always like to break when they least shouldn't?!
    I hope they fix it sooner and time passes by super quick!I'm sorry.

In other news..I took a painkiller finally for the headache because I just couldn't deal with that on top.Apparently Broyer was so sweet and cuddly,because she threw up on the bedroom floor,which was ok,and not much..and then we found the good part..on the freaking BED!Wtf?!She have never done anything alike!And at 11pm. I had to do laundry to everything.I had to open a set of bedsheets we were given as a gift,because I just did laundry and it's freaking humid here so nothing is dry.
    And I'm super difficult with my sleep..I don't like fresh sheets,and I didn't wash these new twice.Everything is on hold to be washed or washing and I'm a wreck..I just burst in tears and couldn't stop,it was a hard day and I wanted a comfy bed not this. -End rant

• Thanks everyone. My coworker has a curb key that he's going to grab tonight to loan me. This way I can turn the water on for showers and then turn it back off afterwards. Then we'll only have the water on once a day. We filled all available pots and pans with water and filled one of the tubs so we can flush the toilet. It's more annoying and frustrating than anything else.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @beanbot2002 Ugh! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! I thought our septic issues were bad enough but at least we can still use water, albeit with limitations. I hope these next two weeks fly by and you're able to get everything resolved quickly!

• @beanbot2002, you're coping a hell of a lot better than I would. I hope everything resolves quickly and effectively for you.
  • Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my coworker's kids lost the curb key. How an 8yr old loses a 2 ft log iron wrench, I'll never know. I'm gonna have send FI to Lowes to get one later today. I'm more afraid of my neighbors beating me for their yards being flooded, than anything else.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards