Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do I have to invite....?

So my dad has been dating this woman for about a year/year and a half. Obviously she is invited to the wedding, as she is my dad's SO. However, she has two kids (they're both older--a senior in high school and a sophomore in college), that I have never met and am therefore not close to. Do I have to invite the kids, too, or can I just include dad's SO on the invitation? I just didn't know if it was rude to leave them off since my dad is dating their mom.

Re: Do I have to invite....?

• I don't think etiquette requires you to invite them, but if your dad is paying he might insist on it.
  • Nope, you don't have to invite them.

Formerly martha1818

• I wouldn't think so.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks, everyone! 
  • Nope, not required. 
  • Nope, it's not rude to leave them out. 
  • I thought about this later.   I still don't think you have to invite them. 

However, IF your dad is paying for the wedding and IF he asks then I would not make it a hill to die on.   Does that make sense?   Maybe I'm too nice, but if those 2 things happen I wouldn't fight it.  I would not initiate the conversation either.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I thought about this later.   I still don't think you have to invite them. 

However, IF your dad is paying for the wedding and IF he asks then I would not make it a hill to die on.   Does that make sense?   Maybe I'm too nice, but if those 2 things happen I wouldn't fight it.  I would not initiate the conversation either.

This is what I think too. If your dad is contributing financially, ask him if he would like you to invite them.

If he's not, then I would say don't invite them if you don't want to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited January 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    I thought about this later.   I still don't think you have to invite them. 

This is what I think too. If your dad is contributing financially, ask him if he would like you to invite them.

If he's not, then I would say don't invite them if you don't want to.
    Thanks, ladies! I agree with you. I'm not against inviting them, but since I don't have any type of relationship with them, I don't feel like they need to be invited. Both of my parents are helping with the cost, though, so if my dad asks that they come, I will by all means invite them. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards