Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitation Question! Bride's Parents Hosting, Want Groom's Remarried Parents on Invite too!

2»

Re: Invitation Question! Bride's Parents Hosting, Want Groom's Remarried Parents on Invite too!

• A famous example of an invitation that lists NEITHER parents at all on the invitation is the wedding invite for "His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton".

Neither parent is listed because it was the Queen who was the hostess.  The top part of the invite says:

"Lord Chamberlain is commanded by The Queen to invite..."

As an aside, how fun to be so famous you don't have to even include your own actual name on the invite, just your title.

(I would have just attached the example, but can't do that for some reason on this particular computer).      

********** What is the queen's name, anyways? Elizabeth Windsor - Battenberg? She obviously did not take her husband Phillip's Greek name since he is only Prince Consort.
    That is an excellent question.  I've recently gotten into geneaology again and around the 1600s, one branch of FH's family becomes Knights and Ladies.  When we get to 994 (yep, I got back that far) there's a Queen of Denmark or something.  The names at that point are pretty screwy.
  • A famous example of an invitation that lists NEITHER parents at all on the invitation is the wedding invite for "His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton".

Neither parent is listed because it was the Queen who was the hostess.  The top part of the invite says:

"Lord Chamberlain is commanded by The Queen to invite..."

As an aside, how fun to be so famous you don't have to even include your own actual name on the invite, just your title.

(I would have just attached the example, but can't do that for some reason on this particular computer).      

********** What is the queen's name, anyways? Elizabeth Windsor - Battenberg? She obviously did not take her husband Phillip's Greek name since he is only Prince Consort.

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (Windsor). She's got a last name, but it rarely gets used. No need. "They know who I am."

Direct descendants get the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. But again, doesn't often get used. No one ever talks about William Mountbatten-Windsor. He's always William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge.

• This is just a useless pet peeve of mine but I absolutely cannot stand when couples are referred to as Mr. and Mrs. John Doe. Especially on a wedding invite. I expect it to be read:

Mr. and Mrs. Juan Carlos Doe request the honour of

Your presence at the marriage of their daughter

*she who has no name*

to

Arturo Jose Axxx

Anniversary

• You can honestly list whomever you want to on your invitations.

My DH and I paid for and hosted our own wedding and we listed both sets of parents on the invitation because we wanted to.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• lilacck28 said:

Jen4948 said:

The invitation is not supposed to indicate who's paying. That's none of the guests' business.

I know this is true, but I always wonder... what determines who is hosting when it's not obvious (like being thrown and planned by one particular person, or at someone's house.)

I also wonder this. Both families have contributed financially, and have given minor input here and there on the planning ("I think you should go with hydrangeas instead of dahlias" or "That dress makes your butt look big") but I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're hosting.

Hosting is usually determined by who is acting as the point person/s of the wedding.

That is, who is issuing the invitations, receiving the responses, greeting the guests, and seeing to it that their needs are met? Note: this is not the same as paying for any of the wedding, because one can contribute funding without doing any of these things.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    Um...we use our titles on wedding invitations, not our names.  Mr. and Mrs. John Doe is a couple's title.  Their names are John Doe and Mary Doe.  No one uses the Queen's name  until after her death.  She is simply Her Majesty, the Queen.  She signs herself "Elizabeth R."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (Windsor). She's got a last name, but it rarely gets used. No need. "They know who I am."

Direct descendants get the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. But again, doesn't often get used. No one ever talks about William Mountbatten-Windsor. He's always William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge.

-------------------
    Thanks. I know they changed from the German House of something early last century , but had lost track.

• Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (Windsor). She's got a last name, but it rarely gets used. No need. "They know who I am."

-------------------
    Thanks. I know they changed from the German House of something early last century , but had lost track.

Saxe-Coberg-Gotha.
    edited January 2015
    Saxe-Coberg-Gotha was the Queen's maiden name. Her grandfather, George V, changed it to Windsor due to anti-German feelings during World War I. 
    Her husband, the former Prince Phillip of Greece, has the technical surname of Battenberg, anglicized to Mountbatten.  Not sure why, since this was his mother's surname.  His father was Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark, of the  House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.  I suppose it was easier to spell.  They are double third cousins, both being descended from both Queen Victoria and King Christian IX of Denmark..

Royalty do not really have surnames.  When they do, they use whatever they want to use.  Their nationality is also murky.  Prince Philip does not have any Greek blood, and he was raised in England, mostly in private boarding schools. 

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you! That is why I was confusing Windsor -Battenberg which was proposed when she married with the eventual choice made of Mountbatten -Windsor.

For a citizenship test for Greenland we had to know Queen Margrethe II 's lineage which tangles with Elizabeth 's and Phillip's but I lost track.
  • O.o.

That's fascinating but I'm glad I'm a Yankee and we don't have to worry about lineage and all that shite ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Yes, we have celebrities.
  • Thanks for sharing about the lineage. Royal families are interesting, but so complicated!! It's interesting how many of them are quite related... 
    edited February 2015
    For centuries, royalty could only marry other royalty.  After the Reformation, Catholic Royalty has to marry Catholic Royalty, and Protestant Royalty could only marry Protestant Royalty.  (This is LAW in Great Britain.)  Anyway, in some families (the Hapsburgs) there was so much intermarriage that the line ended because they were so genetically damaged that they could no longer reproduce.
    In Great Britain, the royal family was primarily German, and to find a truly English ancestor, you had to go back to Henry VII.  After Queen Victoria, rules loosened up a bit.  The present Queen's father was not supposed to be King, so he married a lady from a noble Scottish family.  Good shot of new genetic material!  The late Princess Diana was also not related to the royal family, although her lineage is very ancient.  As for former commoner, Princess Kate - Yay!  This is all good for the future of the royal family of Great Britain.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards