Wedding Etiquette Forum

Some of the wedding websites out there are insane!!!

Re: Some of the wedding websites out there are insane!!!

• peachy13 said:
    I get really annoyed when someone who isn't strong with grammar and/or spelling publishes their website (or anything for that matter) without someone taking a quick look at it first. A girl I was friends with in HS is getting married this year so I obviously creeped on her wedding website. So many stupid spelling and grammar mistakes, run-on sentences all over the place... just bad writing. The thing doesn't need to be perfect but when you are saying stuff like "anyone who want to book there hotel room now shouldcall us at(222)555-555 dont forget before its to late!" just makes me want to pull my hair out. Like, did you even read this? Unrelated but she also has a registry page on her site which is the following sentence: "we kindly request cash and gift cards." Nice.
    My cousin had a website that was similar.  I mean, she could spell decently even if she couldn't use a comma to save her life.  Her problem was overuse of emoticons and the exclamation point.  "My maid of honor is my awesome and wonderful hockey cousinn!!!!!!!!!!!  I love you girl!!!!!!  I couldn't imagine this day without you by my side!!!!!!!!"
  • adk19 said:
    peachy13 said:
    I get really annoyed when someone who isn't strong with grammar and/or spelling publishes their website (or anything for that matter) without someone taking a quick look at it first. A girl I was friends with in HS is getting married this year so I obviously creeped on her wedding website. So many stupid spelling and grammar mistakes, run-on sentences all over the place... just bad writing. The thing doesn't need to be perfect but when you are saying stuff like "anyone who want to book there hotel room now shouldcall us at(222)555-555 dont forget before its to late!" just makes me want to pull my hair out. Like, did you even read this? Unrelated but she also has a registry page on her site which is the following sentence: "we kindly request cash and gift cards." Nice.
    My cousin had a website that was similar.  I mean, she could spell decently even if she couldn't use a comma to save her life.  Her problem was overuse of emoticons and the exclamation point.  "My maid of honor is my awesome and wonderful hockey cousinn!!!!!!!!!!!  I love you girl!!!!!!  I couldn't imagine this day without you by my side!!!!!!!!"
    Kind of related--- I hate when they're overly gushy about how WE'RE ALL SUCH AMAZING BESTIES OMG! because if I'm your friend but not in your bridal party, it's like, oh, I must be old moldy cheese or something, thanks. 

• adk19 said:
    peachy13 said:
    Kind of related--- I hate when they're overly gushy about how WE'RE ALL SUCH AMAZING BESTIES OMG! because if I'm your friend but not in your bridal party, it's like, oh, I must be old moldy cheese or something, thanks. 
    Oh, exactly.  I wasn't the awesome and wonderful hockey cousin she was gushing about.  I'm just the old cousin who was voluntold to change her diaper throughout her baby years, so apparently that makes me moldy cheese.
  • peachy13 said:
    KatWAG said:
    peachy13 said:
    When I'm really, really bored at work, I love typing in random names in TK's website search bar and finding random websites. So much fun. And OP is right -- there are some really strange ones out there. One time I found one that had the about us story, proposal story, wedding party, registry, but the wedding date and venue was still TBD!!!

________

You can do this????Why havent I been doing this on all my doing conference calls????
    yeah! and you don't even need a full name! so i'll try generic starts to common first names like "kat" which will produce katelyns, katies, kathleens. soo many to chose from.
    Well, now I know what I'm doing FOREVER.
    This is why I password protected my website.

• Haha glad you guys could commiserate with me!  I will say- I WISH I could mention attire to our guests- but won't as it's rude.  I'm sure FH's side of the family will show up in polos, baseball caps, and wrinkled khakis (I love his family... I really do... but I know them hah!) and my side of the family will show up over dressed for our backyard wedding. The good news- is I don't care too much what people wear- I just hope for everyone else's sake there's some kind of middle ground and most people figure out a way to dress nice but casual!  Again.... still bracing myself for lots of Cleveland Brown's baseball caps on my FH's extended family side.... you know it's true love when you can accept that might be at your wedding :P 
  • Lol, funny stories.

We (and both DH and I completed the website) had a wedding website, with stories and bridal party. We did it initially because we had 3 friends do it previously for their wedding, and you know what, I liked it! (I think they are cute) *neener neener* 

We moved away from our families and still have a group of good friends back in our hometown, plus a new group of good friends here.Our friends here didn't know our families or our hometown friends, and vice versa. A lot of our friends also didn't know us when DH and I met (as it was 12 years prior to getting married). Other than that though, it was mostly information for out of town guests, hotel blocks, maps, car rental links, a list of possible things to do/see. 

We did have a thing on attire: "cocktail attire" and "we have use of an outdoor veranda so bring a shawl or jacket". Definitely fixed that, because yes, adults can dress themselves. Also considering it was January, pretty sure everyone showed up with an outer jacket ;)
  • I've found wedding websites of old high school friends and I am always entertained at some of the things on there.

This week I found one that had this...

Attire: Formal attire will be required.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I just played the "type in random names into the Knot search bar" game and found some gems:

1. "Due to financial restrictions, a full meal will likely not be served. Hors D'oeurves will be served, and guests are certainly welcome to bring any dishes they would like to add." Me: NO.

2. On a website for a wedding in the summer of 2016: "This is Just the start and the guest list is just pre-planning and should not be considered as an actual invite. Those will be sent with RSVP in the year to come! Thanks!" Me: Please, God, No.

3. In the "About Us" section on the groom: "Ben was born in Seattle, Washington at a healthy weight of 7 lbs 6 ounces just minutes after his twin brother Addison who weighed in at a hefty 7 lbs 8 ounces. Find their mom at the wedding and give her a pat on the back!!" Me: WTF???? (Also note that there was an entire paragraph about each member of the bridal party. All 16 of them. Including the 3-year old flower girl.)

4. "In lieu of gifts we are asking that our friends and family support our endeavor. We already have most essential home goods and your help will allow us to one day go on a honeymoon. DEBT FREE!

We also know that many of you are traveling from far away places to attend and ask that you please not feel obligated to give us any gift. Your presence is gift enough! We are registered at www.honeyfund.com and www.bedbathandbeyond.com"

5. In the attire section: "We are going with relaxed semi-formal (we made that up). For the guys, we'd like ties, but jackets are not necessary. (FYI, the party will be wearing full suits, so don't look better than them.) For the girls, you know what that means."

7. In the "About Us" section about the groom: "He has found Jared Leto the frontman of 30 Seconds to Mars attrative for over 4 years now. This led to dark times for Sean. He was very ashamed, he being stright found another man that beatiful. Then Dalles Buyers Club came out where Jared played a transvestite. Now everyone things he is super hot. Sean no longs feel weird about his feelings." Me: Ummmmmmm..........
    OMG to all of it!

I might actually be glad to hear about #1, so I could bring something, because sh*t, I'd be starving!!! 

DH and I have friends (married) who have hosted a couple parties at their house where food was not provided, maybe one bowl of snack mix or something. Fortunately, they have recently upped their game and their last few "events" have been well hosted. But before that, whenever we got invited to anything, I'd always ask DH (as he's closer to them) if he knew if there was going to be food, or should we bring something, or what should we bring (snack vs. meal). We often bring something small to a friend's party anyway, but DH's solution is always if there's no food, we'll order pizza ;)

• I just played the "type in random names into the Knot search bar" game and found some gems:

1. "Due to financial restrictions, a full meal will likely not be served. Hors D'oeurves will be served, and guests are certainly welcome to bring any dishes they would like to add." Me: NO.

2. On a website for a wedding in the summer of 2016: "This is Just the start and the guest list is just pre-planning and should not be considered as an actual invite. Those will be sent with RSVP in the year to come! Thanks!" Me: Please, God, No.

3. In the "About Us" section on the groom: "Ben was born in Seattle, Washington at a healthy weight of 7 lbs 6 ounces just minutes after his twin brother Addison who weighed in at a hefty 7 lbs 8 ounces. Find their mom at the wedding and give her a pat on the back!!" Me: WTF???? (Also note that there was an entire paragraph about each member of the bridal party. All 16 of them. Including the 3-year old flower girl.)

4. "In lieu of gifts we are asking that our friends and family support our endeavor. We already have most essential home goods and your help will allow us to one day go on a honeymoon. DEBT FREE!

We also know that many of you are traveling from far away places to attend and ask that you please not feel obligated to give us any gift. Your presence is gift enough! We are registered at www.honeyfund.com and www.bedbathandbeyond.com"

5. In the attire section: "We are going with relaxed semi-formal (we made that up). For the guys, we'd like ties, but jackets are not necessary. (FYI, the party will be wearing full suits, so don't look better than them.) For the girls, you know what that means."

7. In the "About Us" section about the groom: "He has found Jared Leto the frontman of 30 Seconds to Mars attrative for over 4 years now. This led to dark times for Sean. He was very ashamed, he being stright found another man that beatiful. Then Dalles Buyers Club came out where Jared played a transvestite. Now everyone things he is super hot. Sean no longs feel weird about his feelings." Me: Ummmmmmm..........
    This is epic.  
  • @kinney0515‌ says: People like this have to be joking! It's so embarrassing they actually sent this out to people... figured some of you etiquette people would find this insane like I did! And hopefully it will prevent some other new brides from ever making a wedding website like this!
    Some of them will be embarrassed by their total ignorance of what is socially appropriate. More should be.

• On the Our Proposal page: "He left me speechless with his confidence in wanting to spend forever with me. He had waited his whole life to give me a gift that I had waited my whole life to receive, his love. Down on one knee he looked up at me and in that moment it seemed like time froze as I tried to grasp the weight behind each of the five words, “Will you be my Mrs?”" BARF

Attire: "Please wear what you are comfortable in to celebrate with us!" Ooooooookay...

*Stuck*

Maybe that is what happened with the proposal, but that's a bit personal I think for a website, sounds like a Nicholas Sparks novel (which I in fact LOVE, but that stuff stays in the novel). 

With the attire, hey, at least they aren't tell their guests they can only wear a small hairpiece ;), but yeah, "no duh..."
  • adk19 said:

peachy13 said:

When I'm really, really bored at work, I love typing in random names in TK's website search bar and finding random websites. So much fun. And OP is right -- there are some really strange ones out there. One time I found one that had the about us story, proposal story, wedding party, registry, but the wedding date and venue was still TBD!!!

Mine has this.... :/ I set up everything I thought I was ever going to need at any point ever in the time between now and the wedding since I know I'm not likely to update it all that often. There's nothing there but "Any registry info will be found here", and the next time I go into it I'll delete it because we're not actually intending on publicizing any registries we make. 

I also gave my link to FMIL to look at and comment on because she's more excited about the wedding than FI and I are, and she blasted it out across Facebook. People we had no intention of inviting were able to see it. I haven't given her any more blastable details since...

The reason Peachy said this was obnoxious is because they have a REGISTRY when they don't even have a DATE yet.  That's just ridiculous.

Oh haha dumb me, reading comprehension fail on my part.

Also I actually DON'T have a registry tab! Woo! I haven't looked at our website since I made it in June sooooo I forgot haha.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I don't know if any of you have ever used some of the fancy HR technology that's out there, but for my work, we have both spell check and legal check for our yearly performance review system. 
    (I have no idea if legal check actually works; no idea what it's programmed to find.)

Point being, too bad The Knot can't come up with an "etiquette check" button to find and eliminate all the atrocities described above. 

• Forgive my ignorance (I'm 1 month into engagement), but what are good and OK things to put on the wedding website? This is a good source of what not to put, but I'd love to know what's both helpful and acceptable. 
  • Forgive my ignorance (I'm 1 month into engagement), but what are good and OK things to put on the wedding website? This is a good source of what not to put, but I'd love to know what's both helpful and acceptable. 
    I think websites are a good way to keep your guests informed with a personal touch. On mine I have the ceremony and reception info, wedding party list (just their names, not blurbs about each individual), lodging info, and directions. Some pictures here and there too. I think you can be creative about what you put on the website, have fun with it without being bossy and/or rude (telling guests what to wear, etc.).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• peachy13 said:
    Forgive my ignorance (I'm 1 month into engagement), but what are good and OK things to put on the wedding website? This is a good source of what not to put, but I'd love to know what's both helpful and acceptable. 
    I think websites are a good way to keep your guests informed with a personal touch. On mine I have the ceremony and reception info, wedding party list (just their names, not blurbs about each individual), lodging info, and directions. Some pictures here and there too. I think you can be creative about what you put on the website, have fun with it without being bossy and/or rude (telling guests what to wear, etc.).
    You can also include registry info, BUT, only as far as, "Bride and Groom are registered at X."  Do not specify what you want, ask for "cash only" or dictate that you would "only prefer their presence." (It seems gift grabby and gifts should never be expected).

• I have to admit, my proposal page is a bit cheesy, but it was written entirely by FI and is password protected. The rest of the site is informative: location, hotels, transportation, babysitters, registry links (no special requests or honeyfund). I hadn't included anything about the WP yet and now I'm seriously considering skipping that piece altogether.
    Just Married!

• I have to admit, my proposal page is a bit cheesy, but it was written entirely by FI and is password protected. The rest of the site is informative: location, hotels, transportation, babysitters, registry links (no special requests or honeyfund). I hadn't included anything about the WP yet and now I'm seriously considering skipping that piece altogether.
    Just Married!

• Okay so I just made a little website for our wedding basically with just a way to tell out of town guests (we have a lot of out of towners) what the local accommodations are and what local activities are in the area if they're staying for awhile.  Very simple- very minimal.

Out of curiosity- I was looking online at other wedding websites an was BLOWN away by some of the things people write on them.  I'm not as hardcore about etiquette as some people on this website (I probably fall somewhere in the middle about how much I adhere to it) but man- some of these people who make some of these websites really should have checked out this forum first!  

I just read someone's website who has a HUGE FAQ section that includes things like:

-a 6 paragraph description on dress code- including what 4 colors they do not want people to wear (no black, white, red ???, or the bridal party's color- turquoise), how long and "elegant" ladies dresses should be (and specifies no cocktail dresses or summer dresses), and whether or not women are allowed to wear anything in their hair.  It literally says something along the lines of "You may wear a small accessory in your hair if you desire."

-another 6 paragraph description about yes there is a registry- including details like what their favorite and preferred items on the registry are, suggesting that some people may want to go in on some of the bigger gifts together, and what they intend to use their monetary gifts for (renovating their home)

People like this have to be joking!  It's so embarrassing they actually sent this out to people... figured some of you etiquette people would find this insane like I did!  And hopefully it will prevent some other new brides from ever making a wedding website like this! 
    I've found a couple of cash registries on websites with this wording, like "we'd love it if you'd give us a suggestion on how to use your gift!" My wise ass would probably say something like, "I request that you stuff this in a stripper's G-string."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Oooh, this is fun!

-- We'd hate to tell you what to wear (you're such a lovely looking bunch!)
    but... we'd love to see you in some boss kecks (Scouse translation for fancy clothes).

--- With the scent of lighter fluid in the air, the flames of attraction were instaneous

-- bow ties and/or bolo ties are encouraged.

-- Bride bio - She's proud to continue the (last name) girl tradition of being a "cougar."

-- Bridesmaid bio - At the wedding she will prefer to go by "Gunky" her beloved nickname from childhood.

-- Most things we need we've already got,
    And in out home we can't fit a lot.
    A wishing well we thought would be great, 
    (But only if you wish to participate).
    A gift of money is placed in the well,
    Then make a wish but shhh don't tell.
    Once we've replaced the old with the new, 
    We can look back and say it was thanks to you.
    And in return for your kindness, we're sure,
    That one day soon you will get what you wished for.
    Please don't be offended at this type of request
    As our day is complete having you as our guest.

-- One website had it's one link labeled "Wedding planner" that included a picture of their wedding planner, a link and contact info for her, and seven paragraphs about how the bride and groom chose her.

-- Zola is a new wedding registry website that allows a couple to essentially 'register' for any item across the web.  For example, if you click to our Zola registry you'll see products from various places, including Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma.

If you see something you'd like to get for us, you'll add the item to your cart and proceed to checkout.  Now, in actuality, you won't be purchasing the exact gift and having it sent to us/you, but you'll be putting the dollar amount of that item into an account that we'll use to purchase the items ourselves after the wedding.  The wonderful thing about this process is that you won't need to lug a present to Arizona.  PLUS, for more expensive items we may have slipped in there, you can get together with other guests and go in on a present [i.e., group gifting].  

-- And finally, this one, I think, takes the cake.  It had a link to "Our store."  I thought that was odd and thought maybe it was like a registry, but nope, they had a registry link as well.  I click and this is what it says. "We are selling artwork to help raise funds for our wedding. As you know, they are quite expensive. Whether it is for yourself or a gift for a friend, we think you might find something you like below. We appreciate your support!"
    And then had about six or seven different pieces of "art." It was like printed stuff that you'd hang on your wall.  0.0

• -- Zola is a new wedding registry website that allows a couple to essentially 'register' for any item across the web.  For example, if you click to our Zola registry you'll see products from various places, including Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma.

If you see something you'd like to get for us, you'll add the item to your cart and proceed to checkout.  Now, in actuality, you won't be purchasing the exact gift and having it sent to us/you, but you'll be putting the dollar amount of that item into an account that we'll use to purchase the items ourselves after the wedding.  The wonderful thing about this process is that you won't need to lug a present to Arizona.  PLUS, for more expensive items we may have slipped in there, you can get together with other guests and go in on a present [i.e., group gifting].  

PLUS! PLUS! I love pluses!! 

I would never use something like this "Zola". 
  • A bunch of rando gals I went to high school with post their websites on FB. I always RSVP. ;)
  • kikilamp said:
    But then again, this was the same couple who registered for a down payment on a house and their first puppy, among other things.
    Wait, they registered for a puppy?!?!? 

• -- Zola is a new wedding registry website that allows a couple to essentially 'register' for any item across the web.  For example, if you click to our Zola registry you'll see products from various places, including Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma.

I loathe, loathe, loathe the highlighted. One person I know did that for both baby and bridal and I'm no longer friends with her.

Oh, you want to tell me how to spend my money? You want to make sure you actually get the expensive shit so you're suggesting, oh so kindly, that we buddy up?
    You think I don't have two brain cells to rub together that maybe, just maybe, I would have come to the conclusion on my own to pair up with someone? Do you want to put people in the position of being asked to contribute to a big gift when maybe, just maybe, they were already feeling awkward about perhaps not being able to afford much off your stupid expensive registry?

"May have slipped in there." No, you DID put them in there. May not, my ass. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards