Chit Chat
Options

Need support please!

I don't know everyone here personally, just through these messages. I need help from ya'll.  I just found out from an anonymous source, then confirmed with another source that my 25 y/o daughter is 8 weeks pregnant and that she had an ultrasound done yesterday and is planning on an abortion tomorrow.  Now I haven't heard this from her.  I spoke to my ex-husband and he said that it's her choice and that we can't do anything about it.  I can't stop crying.  This is my first grandchild I'm talking about.

She's not married but has been with this guy for over a year.  He has 5 kids from previous relationships, which he takes care of.  3 of his older ones live with my daughter and her boyfriend and they range in age from 14-16.  He has 2 younger ones, 5 & 7 that he sees every other week.

I don't know what to do???  I'm crying inside and out.  Ex said to leave it alone and not talk to her about it.  I just don't understand why she hasn't told us or at least her dad because they are closer than we are or to my ex's girlfriend.  I'm scared for her.  She's going to regret her decision to end this pregnancy.  She's always wanted to be a mom.  I lost my first child when he's was 1 due to a car accident that I was in.  I still think about him today and it's been 30 years ago. 

What can I do??

Thanks for listening.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need support please!

• Options
    I agree with @flantastic. She's probably going through so many emotions right now and needs support. Please call your daughter and tell her you love her and you will be there for her. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Wow, that is a really difficult situation. Maybe you could reach out to her to say, very gently and non-judgmentally, I heard about the situation and I just want you to know that I love you and I'm here to support you. She may open up about it if she isn't worried that you're going to be angry with her.

Sending you lots of hugs, thoughts and prayers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    She's supposed to call me when she gets off of work.  Should I tell her that I know or just carry on like nothing is going on??  I'm afraid of pushing her away.  Thanks for the support.  It means a lot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Denise40 said:
    She's supposed to call me when she gets off of work.  Should I tell her that I know or just carry on like nothing is going on??  I'm afraid of pushing her away.  Thanks for the support.  It means a lot
    I don't know if there's a right answer in this situation. I wouldn't open the conversation by saying that you know. Just tell her you love her, and if she ever needs anything you are always there to support her. At that point she'll probably know that you know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Denise40 said:

I don't know everyone here personally, just through these messages. I need help from ya'll.  I just found out from an anonymous source, then confirmed with another source that my 25 y/o daughter is 8 weeks pregnant and that she had an ultrasound done yesterday and is planning on an abortion tomorrow.  Now I haven't heard this from her.  I spoke to my ex-husband and he said that it's her choice and that we can't do anything about it.  I can't stop crying.  This is my first grandchild I'm talking about.

She's not married but has been with this guy for over a year.  He has 5 kids from previous relationships, which he takes care of.  3 of his older ones live with my daughter and her boyfriend and they range in age from 14-16.  He has 2 younger ones, 5 & 7 that he sees every other week.

I don't know what to do???  I'm crying inside and out.  Ex said to leave it alone and not talk to her about it.  I just don't understand why she hasn't told us or at least her dad because they are closer than we are or to my ex's girlfriend.  I'm scared for her.  She's going to regret her decision to end this pregnancy.  She's always wanted to be a mom.  I lost my first child when he's was 1 due to a car accident that I was in.  I still think about him today and it's been 30 years ago. 

What can I do??

Thanks for listening.

You can't do anything, nor should you. This is 100% not your business, and whoever told you behind her back should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. This is her choice, not yours. Not even a little bit. And it's HER, and only her, decision to tell anyone.

I suspect she didn't tell you because she thought you would be judgmental about it, and try to talk/guilt her out of it. I don't blame her.

As far as her regretting it, you don't know that. I am a mother. I wanted to be a mother. But do I, for one single second, regret having an abortion when I wasn't ready to be a mother yet? Absolutely not. If she made this choice, and it is right for her, I sincerely doubt that she will truly regret it.

You are absolutely correct.  I know I can't do anything about it.  I don't want to push her away and that's exactly what I would do.  It's hard not saying anything.  I just don't want her to go through this alone.  I know my daughter and she will be depressed, and I as a mother, can't do a damn thing about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You have no idea she's going to regret her decision. I would not reach out to her unless you are prepared to actually support her and her decision. this is not about you. this is about her and her BF's decision and their decision alone.

However, I'm sorry you are upset. Maybe there is someone you can talk to confidentially about it? 
    I understand it's not about me.  It's her ultimate choice that she will be making. I could not support her, you are right, but I will have to.  The choice is out of my control.  On the other hand, I do know my daughter and how much she wants to have a baby and I'm afraid for her on how she will handle this emotionally when it's all said and done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I understand why you are upset. This is your daughter, after all. But a couple of things here.

- You don't know that this is true. I don't know why someone would start a rumor like this, but at this point, this is something that you did not hear from your daughter directly. If it is true, though, it's pretty messed up that 2 sources betrayed your daughters trust.

- If it is true, It is her decision. She did not tell you for whatever reason, and that is okay. All you can do is be there for her whether or not she decides to tell you about this. Do not bring it up unless she does. And if she does, it sounds as if you will be there to support her. You don't know that she will regret this decision, only she knows that.

I'm sorry that you're upset, as her mother this is definitely tough.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Denise40 said:
    I would tell her and offer to take her out for a cup of tea tonight to just listen to her.  I'm praying for you, your daughter, and your grandchild.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Call her and tell her you love her, and if she ever needs help with anything, you're there for her. It may be what she needs to hear. If it isn't what she needs to hear, you're probably not going to get any further by saying anything else.

I'll pray for both of you.

I agree with this.

I can't imagine how difficult this is for you to think about, but truly your daughter is an adult and it is her choice. You don't necessarily know why she's making the decision that she is, or that she'll "regret her decision." You just need to trust that you raised her to be a smart woman who knows how to make the decisions she needs to make for her own life and ask for help when she needs it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your insight and support. It means the world to me. The person that told me is the husband to her best friend. He said not to tell her that it came from him because it would just cause more problems. He basically is telling me because years ago his girlfriend at the time got pregnant and had an abortion without telling him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am 7 months pregnant with my parent's first grandbaby, and when my mom was here visiting over the holidays she let slip (after years of harboring this secret, so I give her some slack on that one), that when my brother and his ex-wife were first married (they were only 23, so young...but not crazy young), my exSIL confided to my mom that she was pregnant and didn't know what to do. My mom knew right away that, while she could offer support, there was no way she should try to influence her decision. My mom just told her and my brother that, no matter what, she would be there for them--without going into specifics. My exSIL chose to terminate, and my mom was really sad about it, but there was nothing she could/should do. Years later she mentioned something about it to my brother, who acted like he had no idea what she was talking about. Now she fears that my exSIL did not tell my brother. Still, she's not about to bring it up 15 years later and cause drama. Does my mom feel sad about it from time to time? Yes. But it certainly hasn't ruined her life. As pps have said, just be there for her, let her know you support her and will continue to do so no matter what. Please see a counselor to work through your feelings if you feel like you can't move on (very sorry for the loss of your baby).
  • Options
    I get the feeling that the guy who told Denise is experiencing some sense of remorse regarding his child, and I assume that this guy doesn't want Denise to have similar remorse. That is just a guess. I'm not saying his telling Denise is wright or wrong, but I see why he was motivated to do It.
  • Options
    Why should he make it her business though? I feel so sorry for her, because the only people that the daughter turned to have betrayed her confidence.

If OPs daughter wanted to tell her mom, she would've done so. I am also wondering if your ex already knew about her intentions before you spoke with him? If not youve just looped someone else into the equasion who wasn't supposed to know.

The only thing you can do now is be there if she chooses to come to you, and to listen without judgment.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

This isn't your first grandchild.

I was not the first grandchild on my mom's side, and I know my Nana would have been crushed had something happened to me or any one of my siblings or her other grandchildren. @Denise40‌ can be sad about what may happen to her grandchild.
  • Options
    This isn't your first grandchild. If you're going to carry on like your first grandchild died because your 25 year old daughter who is already taking care of 3 of her boyfriends children because he seemingly cannot grasp how condoms work decided to have an abortion at 8 weeks, I think it's pretty obvious why she didn't tell you. She is an adult. Trust that if she wants your help, comfort, or involvement she will ask. And check your own arrogance- there's no way you can be so certain she'll regret this. Sure, she might. But lots of women don't regret abortions at all. And others regret they were in a position to make that choice and still wouldn't change anything.

I'm sorry you think I'm showing arrogance by having concerns over my daughters emotional well being. Yes she is a great mother to his kids and it's her choice to do that. Thank you for your input.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards