Wedding Etiquette Forum

How much is too much?

13»

Re: How much is too much?

• awedding209awedding209 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2015
    HAHAHAHA ahhh you all make me feel way better about this. Just sent the MOH an email and told the bride to call me tonight. 
  • HAHAHAHA ahhh you all make me feel way better about this. Just sent the MOH and email an told the bride to call me tonight. 
    GL!  Keep us updated. And if anyone gives yopu shit, send them to us :-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @awedding209 How did it go?!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Update please?

I'd ask her if you could meet her for a couple drinks the night before a shower and give a small gift at the shower. Skip bachelorette party. Then say you'll need to forgo either the updo or make up or both.

Wear shoes that you already own or find some that you'll likely wear again.

Try and find someone to share a hotel room with at the wedding & drive together!

I asked my bridesmaids to spend $165 on their dress. End of costs.

They wore black heels, only 3 needed dress alterations, doubled up on hotel rooms (that cost $100), whatever they chose for gifts, $100 total for optional hair & makeup (2 did their own)

It DOES NOT need to cost a fortune to be in a wedding.
  • Yikes! That's A LOT of money!

I don't care how much money you make- NO ONE else gets to tell you how to spend your money. It is also not for someone else to judge how your finances work. DH and I make good money, and we're saving up for our first house, but it's taking us awhile to get enough of a down payment for what we want. We have friends who already own houses and I think, "how did they get that house so fast??"- but no one knows another's finances. We are paying off our student loans fast and put a lot of money into savings/ investments for the future. Some people make a lot of money and still live paycheck to paycheck- you never know!

The only thing required of you is to wear the dress (with budget agreed upon) on the day off. Anything else the bride requires, SHE should pay for.

Even though I love wedding events and would WANT to attend the shower of a close friend, if the showers are out of town, at an unreasonable distance to drive, I would tell her that I was sorry but couldn't attend as it is out of town, and then send a gift for one of the events.

As for the bacchelorette- I would tell the MOH, that what she has planned is out of your budget. I would give her a firm number- $X is what I am willing to spend towards this event. If the MOH can't plan something within that budget, then you will be unable to attend. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards