Chit Chat
Options

Some cuntsack named Kristy Clark

TL;DR: stole our identity. 

A few weeks ago H was looking at our account online and noticed a Target red card charge for $45. Probably wouldn't have thought anything of it but we hadn't been to Target in a couple weeks. We also noticed that the charge said Brea and we weren't sure what that meant, so we called. 

People in Target's customer service couldn't see it so we got passed along until finally we got to collections or something and they could see it. Brea is Brea, CA, near LA. Someone bought barbies and froot loops. They said it was a mix up where our account numbers were close and so hers was accidentally linked to ours (what?) and it would be fixed. They refunded us the money. 

Well a couple nights ago he was looking again. A charge for $96 or something in Fullerton, CA. Again around and around on the phones, they couldn't see it, until finally someone could. It was Friday night so collections was not open. We cancelled the red card. Called again yesterday morning when collections was open. They asked if we knew a Kristy Clark. Apparently the account thing was bullshit and what actually happened was this person added herself as an authorized user. They weren't able to tell us how she managed to do that but she must have our social security numbers, account numbers, something. 

Interestingly H noticed that the refund for the first charge was not in our name. It was in hers. Apparently no one on Target's end thought this would be a problem? We got the refund since it's our account but you would think someone would notice this and un-authorize the bitch. 

So we went to the bank to close our account. Problem with red card is it's a debit card that is linked to your bank account so it's a waaay bigger problem and hassle than if someone steals your credit card. We also noticed a check we couldn't explain. We don't write many checks, pretty much just rent and some horse related stuff. There was a $148 check from Christmas eve with no image, so we asked about it. Apparently it was made out to- wait for it- Target, but the one that we actually do shop at sometimes. But we never write checks at Target. We use the red card, or if we forget it we use our credit card. So strange checks stick out like a sore ass on our account. 

Banker thought this was some black market shit where someone sold our account numbers and were able to make a fake red card out of it. We went to Target to ask about this check and the person had never seen something that looked like this so they recommended we come back on Monday to talk to losses and to file a police report so that they can look into it further. 

So yeah that was our Valentine's day. We are thinking we will try to contact Target and police in the LA area to see if we can catch this person. You would think it wouldn't be difficult- receipts show time and which checkout lane and there are cameras everywhere. Not a huge amount of money stolen from us but if they are doing it to a bunch of people? And if we were still dong a lot of shopping at Target like we used to we probably wouldn't have noticed. 

Re: Some cuntsack named Kristy Clark

• Options
    That sucks. At least you guys caught it early!
  • Options
    Ugh horrible.

I'm glad she didn't get more money from you guys but still - WTF. 
    This is not the first time I've heard of Target having some shady things happen. I have debated opening a Target credit card in the past - but now I don't think I will. Ever.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope you guys are able to get her/your money back/whatever makes this right.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    Yeah they had a huge breach around the Christmas before last, so you'd think they'd be taking this more seriously. Definitely no red card. If we ever go to Target again, which we'll be avoiding, we'll pay cash since they can't keep their shit together. 

I hope if it is the case that this person bought our info on the black market that they paid more for it than they got out of it. And that they get caught, but at least that. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't monitor their accounts that closely and smallish purchases are easy to miss. 

• Options
    People suck.  This is no way your fault and I'm glad you caught it as early as you did.

This is one reason why I always use a credit card when shopping.  There is a lot more consumer protection in place.  Again, this isn't your fault I say this for people who may not know the difference.  If someone steals a debit card number (or something linked to your checking account) they have a direct link to all of your money in that account.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Boo. Sorry you're dealing with this.
  • Options
    Ugh, that blows.  At least you caught it early!
    Target had that data breach around Black Friday 2013.  Lucky me used all of my cards there in the time span that the data was being stolen.  So I had to have all of my stuff replaced.
    Since then I only ever use cash or my VISA credit card because it's got consumer protection in case of fraud, I don't have anything auto pay from it, and I monitor the charges and use a register book to balance weekly.

I can't remember which data breach after that (Home Depot?) where all of the info was being sold on the black market in Russia.  My boss emailed all of us a screen shot of the website and you pick which country you want the person's info from, pay for it, and do as you wish.  For $50 you could get an American's credit card number and, if it was available, their social security number.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I didn't know that anyone still used Target's Red card after the breach.

Definitely a good idea to close the account.
  • Options
    I'd close the Red card, and put a freeze on your credit, so no one can open anything in your name. 

• Options
    Christ. Obviously identity scammers have always been around but it seems like lately there have been more and more breaches. Someone stole my debit card (probably via an atm skimmer) right at thanksgiving. It absolutely sucks; good luck.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    That sucks.  I hope she gets caught.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Boooo hope it gets sorted out soon.
    I always use credit card everywhere for the protection. They are way easier to dispute charges and not pay them rather than trying to fight (and wait for) your own money to be returned. 

• Options
    Gosh that is so sucky.  I hope they catch her.  I had my debit card info stolen a few years ago, luckily my bank was super helpful and were able to get it taken care of right away, but it still sucked because I was getting ready to move cross country and I really needed that money for cushion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    Ugh that stinks. Hope it doesn't become a bigger hassle :( On a much smaller scale I got an email about 2 years ago for a Groupon purchase that I didn't make. Someone hacked my account and sent themselves (or a decoy) some big grouping goods purchase of k-cups. Even though they had a name and address of who thr stuff went to and I contcted both local police and in the city in which the fraudulent address was listed nothing ever came from it. Same thing when my bank account was hacked and someone set up automatic transfers for every hour. Luckily I caught it before the first went through but even knowing the account it was transferring to they never did anything about it Eta Where are my paragraphs
  • Options
    Ugh! That sounds frustrating and I'm sorry that youre dealing with this.

The good news is that you're able to provide police with the evidence and you even have a name. Essentially you've done a majority of the detective work for them, and it should be dealt with promptly.

PPs have given great advice already on putting a freeze on your credit so people arent able to put any more things in their name.

Best of luck, I hope that it gets resolved quickly!
  • Options
    That sucks.  I had someone open a CC and a cable account in my name a few years back.  The CC we caught right away, but the cable account we didn't know about until it showed up as a collections item on my credit report like 2.5 years later.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    That's so awful! FI has had his identity stolen and it's the worst. Sounds like you're doing the right things and the PPs have given some good advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Such BS.  Ugh, hope it get sorted out soon! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards