Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Lazy bridesmaid

Re: Lazy bridesmaid

• Options
    Ugh now I'm afraid I've gone about this all wrong. I was actually looking at this website for organization tips and that's when I found the checklist. I did tell them not to blow their budgets, but that I would be grateful for anything they could afford. I am actually paying for their dresses to keep costs down, which is part of the reason I was hopeful that they could participate in the parties. Again, I didn't plan for it to be extravagant. I really don't want to ruin my friendships. I will definitely apologize for coming off bridezilla.
    A little bit, yeah. Your MOH might be a bit of the problem. A lot of MOHs plan the whole party without asking about budgets and then invoice everyone for something they had no input in. If she wanted to plan the whole thing without input, she needed to be prepared to pay for the whole thing.

I think you're trying to do the right thing but believed all the wedding industry crap about how "good" BMs act. Yes, apologize to your friend and say that you're sorry that what was planned was out of her budget and you really wish she could be a part of things... and to everyone else for the checklist if possible. They'll respect you for it.
  • Options
    When you have a group of people you will find people of different budgets and different tastes.  It's just life.   There is nothing wrong with not everyone willing and/or able to attend every event.   It's not a reflection of your friendship.  It's just life.

Sure we would love for everyone to go, but it doesn't always work that way.  And in a few years you might find yourself pregnant or having kids or trying to buy a house or whatever and you might be the one who has to back out because of money or just because there is something else going on that day.

Do not take it personally.   If she can't go just be understanding. You might be in her shoes in the future.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thanks @flantastic. I think I'll do that. I'm definitely guilty of getting swept away in wedding stuff but I don't want it to change who I am as a person and a friend, so I'm glad I came here. I just wish I could go back in time and try to reign in this bach party a bit, but unfortunately deposits have already beed paid. 
  • Options
    I guess in the past (I've been a BM twice) I have felt pressured to contribute to all these things so I thought it was just kind of what you do and hoped the favor would be returned.
  • Options
    I guess in the past (I've been a BM twice) I have felt pressured to contribute to all these things so I thought it was just kind of what you do and hoped the favor would be returned.
    Yeah, they shouldn't have pressured you either. I know a lot of friends will want to participate in these things if they can, but often the title of BM gets used as an excuse to make it seem like you're terrible if you can't or don't want to.

And there's a lot of brides who either don't think through that what they're doing is rude, or they just don't feel like they have to care because this is THEIR TIME.
  • Options

The checklist was actually just a way to help them get organized. It listed the responsibilities and a suggested timeline for everything. The other bridesmaids were really grateful for the tips.

Can you please share this document? Probably just copying and pasting would be easiest.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Luckily I have not said anything to her. I wouldn't do that. I was just trying to play interference for the BMs who felt slighted.

I'm not going to share the document. It will only lead to more scrutiny after I've already realized that it was not the right thing to do.
  • Options
    Luckily I have not said anything to her. I wouldn't do that. I was just trying to play interference for the BMs who felt slighted.

I'm not going to share the document. It will only lead to more scrutiny after I've already realized that it was not the right thing to do.
    It's not for you. It's so anyone else reading the thread and not posting but who has maybe been considering doing something like this can see exactly why it's not the right thing to do. But you don't have to.
  • Options
    I understand that, but I'm actually feeling pretty embarrassed and upset about all this (totally my fault, I know), and I think it's just gonna add salt to the wound. I feel terrible.
  • Options
    When someone who is not not my teacher or boss tells me attendance is "requitred" I don't go. Ever. 
  • Options
    kkcc2015 said:
    Calling MUD on this. If not, go read the boards. Someone GIF me a yawn?
  • Options
    You seem like a really good person who just got swept away in wedding industry BS.  You are not the first and you will not be the last.  I totally had that moment too!  I said some really stupid crap on here about my bridal shower that my AMAZING and thoughtful MOHs planned for me.  I realized I was wrong and felt horrible.  All you can do is move forward with this new knowledge and be an awesome friend.  Give your friend a call and talk to her.  You'll be fine.
  • Options
    We've all gotten caught up at some point. And had ideas that sucked. I was really into donating trees to a forest in lieu if favors - SMH. And before I came here I thought the WP had duties.

I definitely respect that you hung with us though. Change your screen name to something recognizable and stick around :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    "Loved" it just for being Marlhy.
  • Options
    OP I made some serious mistakes in my wedding planning before I came here. Stick around, lurk, learn, ask questions. Then, when you're a pro, you can help guide the newbies who come here asking about lazy bridesmaids.

Also, please stay away from Wedding Wire, because they will blow smoke up your ass. And that might feel good for a bit but it sucks to get the smell of smoke out of your ass.

Anniversary

• Options
    TBH, I remember seeing on TK that brides should email their BMs a "checklist", too. I don't remember a document exactly, but I might have just not clicked on it. I totally know what OP is talking about.

And OP, I've been in the same situations that you were as a BM - feeling overwhelmed, especially financially, for parties I didn't enjoy much and couldn't really afford. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I'm glad you didn't get mad at everyone. The medicine can be hard to swallow, but we're truly lovely people who want the best for you and your friends!
  • Options
    All hail the coolest newbie of all. Seriously.
    :)
  • Options
    NowIAmSypNowIAmSyp member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Good god!

ETA: actually, I take this back.  OP, props to seeing the light :)  Awesome!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I had a snarky response but since OP has seen the light, I take it back.
  • Options
    huh... I started reading this expecting a total train wreck follow by a DD. It's kind of awesome (and a pretty damn nice change of pace) to see the OP actually take in the advice, not get offended, and realize some mistakes were made. 

I'm bored with it... but really happy at the same time... lol

OP, don't feel bad. There was stuff that I thought was a great idea too until I joined the boards (I was originally going to do a donation as favors, for example. Yikes). Stick around! You seem to have a great attitude, and this can be a really fun place. 
  • Options
    arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    huh... I started reading this expecting a total train wreck follow by a DD. It's kind of awesome (and a pretty damn nice change of pace) to see the OP actually take in the advice, not get offended, and realize some mistakes were made. 

I'm bored with it... but really happy at the same time... lol

OP, don't feel bad. There was stuff that I thought was a great idea too until I joined the boards (I was originally going to do a donation as favors, for example. Yikes). Stick around! You seem to have a great attitude, and this can be a really fun place. 
    Ditto on that. When I first got here, I thought it was a great idea to state on the invitations that no gusts under 18 would be accommodated. Boy, did I get my ass handed to me on that one. But I learned and took a different approach.

Stick around, girl. You may find yourself in the position to help keep someone else from making a mistake.

Edit: *guests, not gusts. Although no gusts above 5mph will be allowed, either.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards