Faced with a huge dilemma...
A friend asked me to be her bridesmaid, I agreed. The wedding is now over and I am still debating whether or not to buy her a gift....
- The wedding cost over $90,000 (and this is the first one, there is a second one that will be happening shortly in the bride's home country)
- There were 10 bridesmaids - each of us had to pay for our own bridesmaid dresses which we had no input on...they cost is $500 each (including hemming)
- Bridesmaids had to pay $60 on the day of the bridal shower plus the cost of the bridal gift
- Bridesmaids had to pay for their own hair ($50), and their own mani/pedis ($40) and take care of their own makeup on the day of the wedding
- Some bridesmaids had to spend $600 on the plane ticket to fly there to be at the wedding
- None of the bridesmaids received any gift
- The bride's dress alone cost $12,000, not including her $1000 earrings and her $800 Louboutins and her $600 party dress
My dilemma.....this wedding has rendered a few of us broke as heck to say the least. One girl ended spent $1600 in total, another $1300. Nobody dared to speak up and say anything.
I know it's the thought that counts and I'm a little bitter about having to spend any more money on a gift when I'm personally in debt (I owe about $6000 on my line of credit right now).
Can any one give some advice? Share an opinion? A few of us really have no idea what to do.