Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Are you in love with your dress?

I'm not sure if I've been manipulated by cheesy movies and dress shopping reality shows, but it seems like most brides get emotional about their dresses. I went shopping with my mother and sister and purchased a gown that I was comfortable in and they loved on me. I didn't cry or get super excited about it, but they told me to wait for the first fitting since I wasn't feeling comfortable with my body. I had the first fitting last night (after losing 20lbs) and realized I'm MUCH more excited about the shoes I plan to wear than the dress itself...even though it fits well. I've already paid for the dress, accessories and $500 for the alterations, so I figure it's too late to go back now.

I just wanted to know if I'm alone here in just feeling "okay" about my dress.

Re: Are you in love with your dress?

• Options
    A lot of people don't have the "OMG" moment.  Do you think you look good in your dress?  Are you comfortable in it?  Does it make you feel pretty?  If the answer is yes to all of those questions then that is all that really matters.

I did cry when I picked my dress but only when a blinged out wrap around headband was placed on my head.  I also think I cried because I finally picked a dress when I was so stressed out over thinking I wouldn't be able to find something that I liked.  So basically I cried because a headband made me say "wow" and my stress level went from 100 to nothing.

So no, you don't have to be over the moon in love with your dress (save that for your FI), but if when you put it on you are happy with the way you look and feel then you are good to go.

Oh and congrats on your weight loss!

• Options
    not everyone has the TV/movie bridal moment and that is ok.  I certainly didn't and can't imagine it will change when I have a fitting appointment (I just hope it fits, haha).  As long as you are happy with it and feel good in it that is all that matters.
  • Options

I'm emotional about pretty much everything.

When I found my wedding dress, not a tear was shed, but I felt really pretty and really comfortable, and that's what mattered to me.

I definitely did not have that OMG! My dress! Moment, it was more of a ok, this is the dress moment, and I think that is ok. :)

Great job on the weight loss!!

• Options
    I didn't have that cheesy moment but I'm very happy with my dress! I'm not comfortable at the weight I'm at now (in the process of losing, 18 lbs down so far!) so with the first few dresses I tried on I just felt like a big, fat marshmallow. When I tried on my dress I actually felt pretty. I didn't cry or have that feeling that it was the one, I just knew I felt good and it made me happy and I didn't want to try on any more dresses!
  • Options

I'm emotional about pretty much everything.

When I found my wedding dress, not a tear was shed, but I felt really pretty and really comfortable, and that's what mattered to me.

I definitely did not have that OMG! My dress! Moment, it was more of a ok, this is the dress moment, and I think that is ok. :)

Great job on the weight loss!!

This is me too!  I'm normally a very emotional person, but when I found my dress, no crying, no anything like that.  I just felt comfortable and confident in it, which I wasn't feeling in most of the other dresses I tried without making lots of changes to them.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your thoughts, ladies. I feel so much more confident now!
  • Options
    Definitely didn't cry when I got mine, but I'm not a terribly emotional person about things like that. I didn't even try mine on in an appropriate size/color...it's all very individual. If you're comfortable, and feel beautiful, that's all you need to be concerned with :)
  • Options
    OP, do you have a pic of your dress?  We love seeing dresses around here!

• Options
    JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2015
    I ordered my dress (vintage) online.  When it arrived, I tried it on by myself in my room and thought "Yes this will do nicely" and "oh good, I won't have to hem it, I just need to fix the bustle." I didn't cry at all.  I showed my mother and she said "Very nice, that will work well, you should be able to dance all night in that."  She also did not cry.  

I think my dress is beautiful.  I think it fit me well and it looked like a wedding dress.  It didn't ride up, I didn't need to wear special undergarments with it (a requirement for me for any dress I have to wear while dancing all night long). I feel like a lot of people try to shovel a whole lot of emotion into one outfit, that you wear once, for a couple of hours.  If you like how it looks and you feel comfortable in it, it is the right dress. 

Now my shoes on the other hand I got for a steal and they were even more impressive in person.  They are vintage 1960s acrylic. I expected them to be a little scuffed because of the price but when they arrived they were brand new old stock, never worn with the original box and price tag. I almost cried about those.  But thats because I kept thinking about all the other, non-wedding, outfits I was going to wear them with. 
  • Options
    I did love my dress from the moment I put it on, but there were no tears or any grand moments.  It was the first dress I put on that the words "i love this one" came out.  
  • Options
    I didn't get emotional about any of the dresses I tried on.  I ended up just picking one that I liked a lot.  I didn't have some sort of moment where I "knew" it was "the one" - and I don't think that's a helpful way to think about it because there are hundreds of dresses I could have chosen and looked nice in.  I think that if you picked a dress that you like and feel good in, then you made a great choice!
  • Options
    So I must be a super emotional bride,but the moment I put on my dress I got tingly and happy. It took a second time of putting it on with a matching veil for the waterworks to happen, but I needed to make sure the other styles weren't for me. If you watch alot of those reality shows, a lot of those brides don't get teary eyed or super emotional. I don't think it's a sign if you don't have that hyped up emotional moment when trying on your dress. As PPs said, if you feel pretty and comfortable and can see yourself getting married in it then you made a good decision!
  • Options
    I cried when they put a veil on me, because that made it easier to imagine marrying my H. It wasn't the dress or even the veil, but the anticipation and "this is getting real now" feeling. I LOVED my dress, but it's still just a dress. And that's OK.

• Options
    I like my dress enough. 

I had fallen in love with one dress and went back to try it on. When I did, I had doubts and tried on something else. I am not sure why, but I decided that was the dress I was going to buy. It is the exact opposite of what I wanted: it's strapless (I said I wasn't going with strapless), it's a ballgown (I always wanted a fit and flare), it's white (I've never been a fan of white dresses, I prefer ivory).

I find myself wishing I had gone with the other dress, but it is too late now. Am I in love with my dress? No. Does it really matter? Not in the slightest. I know FI will think I am beautiful in anything because he cares about me and a dress won't make me anymore married to FI. I'd wear a potato sack if I had to. My dress is good enough to get married in and on the day of, I am sure it will be the furthest thing from my mind. 

I wouldn't lose sleep over not having ~the~ moment. The real moment is getting to say you do. 
  • Options
    Feeling "okay" about your dress is completely fine! I didn't cry about my dress - I cried about my veil, only because my mom had been very clear about her thoughts that veils are overpriced (which is true) and that I should just wear my sister's. (which I was fine with. Something borrowed, yes!)

But they put a veil on me at the bridal store that went with the dress PERFECTLY and my mom said she really wanted to buy it for me, and that made me cry. But the dress itself didn't make me cry or get overly emotional.

You will look great no matter what. And fabulous shoes are definitely worth being excited over! I'm pumped about my shoes, too. Even though I'll probably take them off and switch to sparkly sandals the minute our first dance is over!!
    --

• Options
    I ordered mine online sight unseen, choosing the one I thought would please my parents and asking my FI what he thought too. I got it, tried it on, thought "okay, great, it fits," and every time I've tried it on since it's been the same. It's fine, I like it well enough, I've never been emotional about material goods, so it'll be great. And it was a hundred bucks, which was the best part. I never would have spent a lot of money because it didn't have much value to me though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this boat. I picked my dress because it was the one I liked more than the others, but because I have such awful body dysmorphia and self esteem I don't think anything would have made me say "ohmygod it's so perfect"

Now I'm just focusing on working out a lot and trying to feel better about myself since I think that will be a huge factor in how I feel in the dress. It's bought, it's done, now I have to work with what I've got. 

But it's really comforting to hear others say similar things, I keep seeing people say how they "can't wait to wear it" and "don't want to take it off" and I just feel so left out of the fun.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I didn't have that crying, OMG moment. The first time I tried it on, I was like, "OK, this could possibly maybe be it." I tried on a few more dresses, and then tried that one on again. And then I was sure of it. I ordered the dress that day. 

But about 2 months before my wedding, I had dress regret. It lasted about a week and then I was in love with the dress again. I was so happy in it the day of my wedding. 

Just remember that everyone's experience is going to be different. 
  • Options
    I was not too excited when I chose my dress. I liked it, it had all the things I wanted and none of the things I didn't like, so I was confident in choosing it, but my attitude was just kind of "meh." Whatever. 

When it came in several months later I hated it because the sample was much more worn in and several sizes too big so it was really comfortable. My dress was itchy and too tight. I had to wait a few months for my first fitting (which is next weekend) so I had to convince myself not to worry about it; that the seamstress could fix everything to make it more comfortable. 

I randomly pulled my dress out of the closet the other day and tried it on, and finally got really excited. Pretty much cuz of what lolo said: it started to get really real that I'm about to marry FI, and THAT'S what's exciting to me. The dress is beautiful, but it's just a dress. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards