Chit Chat
Options

What would you have done?

Re: What would you have done?

• Options

If you want to call an emotion that kept you up all night righteous indignation at objectively horrible people, fine. But I think it's more likely the unpleasant feeling of helplessness we all have when our loved ones are hurting and we can't help. Anger at total strangers isn't going to get you far.

I'm angry at the actions of people that could have handled a situation better. Obviously I know nothing about these people. I found what occurred to be shocking. And I would have done things differently.

This isn't anger I'm holding on to forever. I'm not actively seeking these people out.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

Earlier upthread someone called the people idiots, which I consider harsh. I realize it's your grandmother and you are super upset but you weren't there either. I would focus on her health and move on. Being mad at random people for following what your grandmother wanted is a bit odd. I mean if anyone you should be mad at your grandmother.

I hope you're joking with this nonsense.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

Earlier upthread someone called the people idiots, which I consider harsh. I realize it's your grandmother and you are super upset but you weren't there either. I would focus on her health and move on. Being mad at random people for following what your grandmother wanted is a bit odd. I mean if anyone you should be mad at your grandmother.

For....falling? 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

scribe95 said:

For....falling? 
    Seriously.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    The Life Alert won't work outside the home. At least that is what they told her.

To me, it's common sense to not move an elderly person that has fallen. Or really, most people that have a violent fall.

But you're right. I should be angry at my grandma. What a jerk she is.
  • Options
    I very recently had an ambulance sent for a stranger. She was a teenage girl who had flipped her car. She got out, somehow, and appeared totally fine. She refused all help, even a jacket in the freezing cold. If I would have asked if she needed an ambulance, she would have said no. The paramedics actually had to talk her into being examined at all when they got there. But I'm glad I told 911 I wanted them to send the ambulance, you can't tell by looking at someone whether they have a concussion or internal damage, etc. 

So, if I saw an older woman who had fallen and couldn't get up on her own steam, I can't say for sure, but I do think I would probably not listen to her, and I would probably tell her she needed to be checked out. 

At the same time, these folks listened to her specific request. The person you should be mad at, frankly, and I think this is why you are feeling so emotional about it, is your beloved and stubborn grandmother. I think you need to tell her how scared for her this made you, and please to never never refuse help like that again. 
  • Options

The Life Alert won't work outside the home. At least that is what they told her.

To me, it's common sense to not move an elderly person that has fallen. Or really, most people that have a violent fall.

In @scribe95 's defense, I think she meant be mad at your grandmother for saying "I'm fine!" and not "this really hurts, please call an ambulance/ my daughter/ stay with me/ etc".

Not that I agree with that, I certainly wouldn't be mad at her, but just saying I see where scribe was going with that.

• Options
    scribe95 said:

HOW DARE SHE FALL!

• Options
    scribe95 said:

I think there is some displaced anger here. Your grandmother probably shouldn't have driven (you even said she didn't need to and said she wasn't going anywhere); turned away an ambulance when she needed it and didn't use her life alert. She made some mistakes but you are only mad at the people who tried to help her (inadequately in your opinion).

Me, I generally have enough anger inside my shriveled heart for more than one person at a time.

I never know quite what to do with the "here's how you should feel and who you should feel it at" portion of these kinds of threads. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

I think there is some displaced anger here. Your grandmother probably shouldn't have driven (you even said she didn't need to and said she wasn't going anywhere); turned away an ambulance when she needed it and didn't use her life alert. She made some mistakes but you are only mad at the people who tried to help her (inadequately in your opinion).
    Me, I generally have enough anger inside my shriveled heart for more than one person at a time.

I never know quite what to do with the "here's how you should feel and who you should feel it at" portion of these kinds of threads. 

I suggest disregarding it entirely since it doesn't make any god damned sense.
  • Options

scribe95 said:

WE ARE ANGRY KNOTTIES, WE DON'T HAVE FEELINGS!

• Options

scribe95 said:

WE ARE ANGRY KNOTTIES, WE DON'T HAVE FEELINGS!
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

I never said be mad at her for falling. I said be mad at her for stubbornly refusing medical treatment that she clearly needed. But instead of focusing on that we are going after random people for not doing enough. I find that stunning. 

A lot of elderly people (and hell people in general, myself included) don't like to seem weak or invalid. 

In stead of just saying "Ok, you cool? Lemme get you in your car, bye nice lady!", they could've just talked with her. "Are you sure you're ok? You seem to be having trouble standing. Is there anyone I can call for you? I don't want you to hurt yourself". It's not saying "I'm call 911, shut the fuck up, you have no say in the matter!", it's talking with someone until they're comfortable saying "Yes, I really do need help". 
  • Options

Well that's fucking stupid. What if she went out late at night and there was no one around to help her?

Fucking hell Life Alert get on this shit.

My anger is placed at Life Alert right now. If this is an improper place to direct my anger please point in the correct direction to direct my anger. And also let me know the amount of anger I am to feel and how to express it within the anger allowance terms.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm sorry but I don't feel my judgment of these people is harsh. They should not have moved her. They could have injured her more.
    And when they did move her and she could neither stand nor walk, they shouldn't have let her drive away.

She is old and frail. They should have called 911 to let medically trained people determine if she was ok.
    You're allowed to feel as you do, whether or not some people think it's misplaced. Although, frankly, think about your grandmother lying in the snow and ice in the middle of a freezing-cold parking lot waiting on an ambulance or your mother or you (had the good Samaritans called anyone). Would you rather her have laid there until someone got there? Ambulances can take a long time to get where they need to go, even with their screamy sirens. Civilian vehicles can take even longer - they don't have sirens screaming "GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY WAY!!!!" I'd really want someone to risk the potential damage of moving her over the more serious damage being cold could work on an already frail elderly lady.

@scribe95 - yeah, I don't think it's okay to be angry at the grandmother. Climbing's grandmother fell over. Everyone did what they thought was best. Grandma and Samaritans included.

ETA Except the grocery store manager. S/he probably has SOPs and didn't follow them. I'd be LIVID at him/her.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

MagicInk said:

I never said be mad at her for falling. I said be mad at her for stubbornly refusing medical treatment that she clearly needed. But instead of focusing on that we are going after random people for not doing enough. I find that stunning. 

A lot of elderly people (and hell people in general, myself included) don't like to seem weak or invalid. 

In stead of just saying "Ok, you cool? Lemme get you in your car, bye nice lady!", they could've just talked with her. "Are you sure you're ok? You seem to be having trouble standing. Is there anyone I can call for you? I don't want you to hurt yourself". It's not saying "I'm call 911, shut the fuck up, you have no say in the matter!", it's talking with someone until they're comfortable saying "Yes, I really do need help". 
    And you have no idea that they didn't say all those things. No one on here does.

Except that i'm pretty sure @climbingwife DOES know, on account of this being her grandma...
  • Options
    She wasn't there either!
    And i'm sure she didn't talk to her grandma. Nope. Definitely not.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

I mean...for just a minute let's recall that ultimately, we're talking about hypothetical scenarios and essentially jerking off on an internet forum. No one is "going after" anyone in any real sense here.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    My grandma would not have been able to get into the car by herself.

She could not even stand. She couldn't move.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:

Maybe she has talked to her grandmother. Maybe she is getting it second hand from her mom. Either. way it's still only getting one side of the story. If she was talking fine, not crying, just saying I just need help up that's way different than writhing on the ground in pain, crying.

I'm going to continue to defend the actions of people who were just trying to help and now some are condemning for not helping enough. Especially when none of us were there to see what exactly happened.

You should probably just delete this thread so that those poor souls dont get CONDEMNED anymore. JFC
  • Options
    Listen, I'm not a ranting and raving maniac right now. I'm not driving to the grocery store to scream at a manager. I'm upset and I wish things were handled differently. I'm siting here with my grandma and it hurts to see her in pain. That's all.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

Listen, I'm not a ranting and raving maniac right now. I'm not driving to the grocery store to scream at a manager. I'm upset and I wish things were handled differently. I'm siting here with my grandma and it hurts to see her in pain. That's all.

No Climbing. We all know exactly what you're doing. You're training a fire breathing dragon to go burn the fucking store to the ground then hunt down all those people, aren't you? Come on, just admit you have a fire breathing dragon.
  • Options
    The only person whose truly at any kind of unequivocal fault here is the store manager. 

We have people who fall all the time on the escalator at work. Sometimes it's because they take walkers or shopping carts on the escalator instead of taking the elevator, sometimes they just fall. As employees, we press the escalator emergency stop and wait for security. Every now and then there's a person around with medical training that assists them. Nearly everyone will scream that they need help getting up, etc, but we're not to touch them unless told by security or EMT's. Sometimes this involves telling other customers to get the fuck out of the way for the professionals. 

I get anxious when this happens, and stay far away. I don't react well in crises situations. So, I'd like to say I would have made sure that Grandma is okay, but I'm not a medical professional. If someone is telling me they're okay, I kinda have to take them at their word. Especially if someone who IS supposed to handle this (grocery store manager) is there. 

Plenty of people would have walked by. I'm not sure why not giving enough help is worthy of disdain here. Be mad the the store manager, not the random passerbyers who tried to help.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards