Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

walking the bride up the isle

I ask my dad and mom to walk me up the isle but they are not  together anymore but my mother is very upset and is insiting that she will not be at the wedding if he is there. my dad on the other hand is understanding and the attitude of my mother is is will to not walk up the isle with me but he will be at the wedding what am i to do?

Re: walking the bride up the isle

• Unless you are getting married on an island, you are walking up an aisle, not an isle.

I'm a little confused by this post.  You're saying your mom won't come to the wedding if you dad attends?  Or are you saying you rmom won't come if your dad walks you down the aisle? 

I say call your mom's bluff.  Tell her that you'll miss her at the wedding if she doesn't show up.  Your mother isn't likely to not come to your wedding.  And if she does, she needs to grow up.
  • I am confused as well. But it sounds like you need to take the advice of navybaby. I never understand grown parents and why they can't act like adults at least for one day. It isn't that hard. If she decides not to show, it is her loss, not yours. You can't control what people do. I know this sounds harsh, but I am not trying to be mean, but it is the reality of the situation here.
  • Call her bluff. I would hope the love she has for you can be stronger than the hate she has for your dad. 
  • Call your mom's bluff. 

Your parent's don't have to sit together, but you could mention that it's really important if both of your parents are there at one of the happiest times in your life, your marriage.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • My mother was supposed to be seated before all the bridesmaids walked down the aisle, but she strayed behind. I offered for her to walk down the aisle with my dad and I (they aren't really togethr anymore) but she said "no no, let's stick to the plan". I think she may have understood. So, she started walking right after the flowergirl. My mother, walked on MY petals LOL!! I can't help but laugh about it now :-)
  • I agree with those who say call your mom's bluff.  My parents are divorced.  They're not each other's biggest fans, needless to say, but they are adults and are able to put aside their feelings for each other for that day.  If your Mom would actually miss your wedding out of spite towards your father that would be very unfortunate for you and her, but it would be her choice.
  • I am in the same boat as you are, my dear.  My parents are seperated, on the way to divorce.  I wanted my mother to walk me down the aisle but I knew that my dad (stepdad but he adopted me when I was 4  so he is "dad") would have a fit and probably not show up.  So I decided to have them both walk me down the aisle.  My mother is fine with that but my dad is not too keen on that idea.  I say that if your dad is ok with that idea then hopefully your mom can just suck it up for the 20 seconds it takes to walk down the aisle.  Good luck as it is a touchy subject.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards