Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Did you buy your fiance/husband's wedding band?

There is a big wedding band event at our
jewelry store next weekend so FI and I decided to go and buy our rings. We are still 7
months out but figured it might be nice to get this expense out of the way
before all the bills start coming in closer to the wedding. We also decided
that FI will buy my band and I will buy his. I’m looking forward to buying his
ring and am wondering who else did it this way? (and totally optional: I’m
curious about how much it cost -- only if you don't mind sharing). Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Did you buy your fiance/husband's wedding band?

• Options
    We used combined finances to buy our rings.  We looked at one ring for H where he got my e-ring from and it was about $1500.  He said no to that ring because he knew how he was and he rarely wears his ring and he has also tried to lose it about 4 times now (once on our HM while snorkling). So we went to Jared's and found a carbon fiber/tungsten ring that he really liked.  I think it was only $250 so we ordered it.

• Options
    We did the same thing - DH bought my band and I bought his. 

It was really fun to go to and pick out his band with him. We just walked into a jewelry store, he picked whatever he wanted, ordered it, and then I paid for it.

I honestly don't remember how much it cost, but I know for sure it was under $1,000. For some reason $600 sticks in my mind, but I really don't recall.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I bought my band from Etsy ( I just wanted a plain white gold band with a notch to fit under my diamond) and it was $160.  FI is actually buying his today, and I think he's going with a titanium one he found on amazon for like $70.

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I didn't realize you buying his band and him buying your band wasn't a thing? Because my immediate reaction was....of course we purchased each other's rings.

My H's ring was $1200 but it also had some small diamonds in the band and the band itself was thick white gold.

My wedding ring was something like $575.

• Options
    FI bought my wedding band and I bought his, just for the hell of it. 

My Ering is pretty elaborate so I wanted something super simple, and I ended up hating how bands looked next to it, so I decided to get one for my index finger (old Jewish tradition) and get it plain (aka "unbroken"-- also an old Jewish tradition). I ended up with a thin rose gold band that I really like. 

I found one that FI totally loved on Etsy. It's hand made by a company in Israel (funny coincidence) and it's sterling silver with hammered rose gold in the center, so it just happened to match mine, which was cool. It ended up costing about $300, whereas the ones he looked at in jewelry stores were about $500--$700. 

Here's a photo! 
  • Options
    We bought each other's but it wasn't a big thing. They're inexpensive and it just kind of worked out that way. Didn't really sit around and discuss it or anything.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    H and I had combined finances before getting married so both rings came from the joint account. H got a gold band for about $600. 

ETA I didn't like the look of the sets so I wanted a whole new wedding ring (and I wear my ering on my right hand). My ring ended up at about $3,800.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    We used combined money to pay for both of our rings. My band was approx. $650 and his was $20 (tungsten carbide from Amazon). He actually ordered three different bands in different widths and sizes since they were so cheap. He didn't want anything fancy and wanted to spend the money on my band over his. The other option was a white gold band for $150.
  • Options
    Our accounts aren't combined but we consider it 'our' money not 'his' and 'mine' so we bought the rings together.

We went together and bought both of the bands together, threw them on the credit card to get the miles, and then immidately paid them off from the savings.
  • Options

I bought his ring just this past week but that was mostly
    because I had a coupon for bluenile and an ebates account plus cash back on my
    credit card. However, this whole wedding has been split down the middle between
    the two of us. I will pay a bill, and if it is lets say $1000, he might pick up
    2 $500 bills. If that makes sense. We will each pay for about half of the
    wedding out of our accounts. So afterward neither person is out all that cash,
    though we will have joint bank accounts so the money at that point is ours
    together.

I have not picked my band yet so I have no clue
    who will pay for it.
  • Options

Our accounts aren't combined but we consider it 'our' money not 'his' and 'mine' so we bought the rings together.

We went together and bought both of the bands together, threw them on the credit card to get the miles, and then immidately paid them off from the savings.
    Yup. It seems weird to be thinking of "my money" and "your money". We actually have one joint account and then most of our money is all totally separate...but if it's still "our money". It's not like having a bunch of money would do me any good if he didn't have any...what, am I going to say "Hey, let's go to Fiji, I have money for myself. What you don't have any? I guess I'll go alone!". Or buy a new house alone, or anything like that. 

We paid for the wedding ourselves, and it didn't matter who paid what bill. A couple times I think we were like "Holy crap, I charged thousands and thousands of dollars of wedding stuff this month and need to pay it off, I'm going to take some money from the joint account. Put some more in there unless you spent all your money on wedding stuff too". I mean, we're in this together now. 
  • Options
    Yep, I bought his ring... all $35 of it. He wanted something cheap. Overstock tungsten carbide!

My rings came as a set, so he had already purchased the wedding band before we got engaged.

• Options
    HI!

We purchased each other's rings. We didn't want to match and he wanted a ring that would match his jewelry. He has multiple watches in different metals and he loved the ring I picked out. :-)
    I got the ring from Cartier, $1730 +tax.

* I want gift him a watch on our wedding day...still searching for the perfect one.

"If you really want something you don’t stop for anyone or anything  until you get it".
  • Options
    We will be going together but FI is easy, he doesn't want anything fancy, my ring is yellow gold because that's what I like and I told him his can be whatever he wants. He wants yellow gold because it will match mine which is very sweet but he wants no designs, diamonds, nothing so it will be easy. I will buy his and he will buy mine (which will be a lot more, he decided to go totally custom with lots of detailing and wants to get the matching band and add diamonds) but in reality if I need money he gives it to me and when he needs it (which is never) I would give it to him. So I guess the gesture is there of us buying each others but it's "our" money anyways. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are about to buy our rings, and we are using joint money for it (we have a joint checking account for day-to-day stuff and bills, a joint savings for wedding expenses. We put bonus money, tax refunds, gift money, etc. into savings for the wedding). But I am physically purchasing them through my work, because I get a pretty sweet discount.

We are both getting really simple 14K white gold bands. Mine sells for $100, his is just under $390. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We bought each other's rings.   I got FI a 14k white gold band, I think it was around $450 after some coupon I had.  I bought it while he was deployed, and he didn't have any preference as to what I got him.  He's happy now that it's a thin band, he's been wearing a placeholder that's pretty thick and he's not a fan of that fat ring. 

My band cost around $600 I think?  It's also 14k white gold. 

• Options

We are about to buy our rings, and we are using joint money for it (we have a joint checking account for day-to-day stuff and bills, a joint savings for wedding expenses. We put bonus money, tax refunds, gift money, etc. into savings for the wedding). But I am physically purchasing them through my work, because I get a pretty sweet discount.

We are both getting really simple 14K white gold bands. Mine sells for $100, his is just under $390. 
    For some reason I initially thought you meant the money you had saved to buy weed with.

Carry on.

• Options
    My engagement ring IS my wedding ring, so that was easy.  J wanted something fairly plain with maybe a bevelled edge or some other type of simple embellishment, but he wanted me to pick it out, since he picked out mine.  My ring has milgrain edges, so I ended up picking out a plain white gold band with milgrain edges, to match.  I paid for it - about $500, I think.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options

For some reason I initially thought you meant the money you had saved to buy weed with.

Carry on.
    Well, maybe that too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I bought both of our wedding bands. Actually I technically bought my e-ring too. He went and picked it out and physically purchased it, but I paid 90% of the credit card bill (he made the first few payments before I got the ring).

This probably makes my marriage not legitimate.
  • Options
    I assume I will pay since he bought my e ring and the band was a set with it. We looked a bit this weekend while getting my ring cleaned and he found one he liked. It was $825 I think bc he wants gold and not titanium or carbon or whatever the popular and less expensive kind is. I'm just glad he doesn't want diamonds in it (well he did but now he likes this other one)
  • Options
    We looked at rings together and bought them jointly.  Our finances had just been combined at about the point we paid for them.
  • Options
    I'll buy his and he'll buy mine.  We don't have combined finances yet.  I found a company that makes rings out of metal, wood, and antler, and he really liked those.  I think the one I'm eyeing is around $250.  We haven't gone to look at bands for me yet, but i'll likely be something simple as my E-ring has a lot of side detail that I don't want to cover up with a fancy band.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Part of my grandmother's contribution to our wedding was buying my band. My mom, grandma and I made a day out of it. It cost around $600. FI picked his out from the Wedgewood Rings web site and just ordered it last week. It's titanium on the outside and cocobolo wood on the inside and it cost $275. We used a joint "wedding fund" account we have both been contributing to to pay for his ring.
  • Options
    I bought his ring and he bought mine (when he picked out the engagement ring, the jeweler had set aside a matching wedding band for me to come look at when we were ready to buy our rings). FI picked out his right, I think it cost $1080 with tax. It's white gold with a brushed finish and some detail on the edges. We were able to get a discount because FI purchased my engagement ring there as well. I'm sure it also helped that we picked all of our rings out at a smaller jewelry store in our hometown. 

Throughout the whole process we have been splitting wedding costs evenly and don't think of our money as mine and his; it's definitely 'ours.'
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I bought both of our wedding bands. Actually I technically bought my e-ring too. He went and picked it out and physically purchased it, but I paid 90% of the credit card bill (he made the first few payments before I got the ring).

This probably makes my marriage not legitimate.
    Not legitimate. Start over.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH picked his ring. He bought a tungsten ring online for $35. He's already had to replace it once, so it's good thing he loved a ring that was very inexpensive.

We went shopping together for my ring, but I picked it. It was around $1000. We lived together for several years prior to getting engaged/married and we already had all of our finances combined so it wasn't so much I paid for his ring and he paid for mine.
  • Options
    I bought our wedding bands.  He already bought the engagement ring, seemed unfair that he should have to buy another ring, especially as the bands were much cheaper (plain, matching rose gold bands). And now we have combined our finances so it doesn't really matter anyway. 
  • Options
    Yes, we bought each others. We went shopping together and I picked out what I liked and he picked out his. He offered to buy his since he makes a little more money and I've been buying more random wedding stuff, but that didn't seem right to me. 

He got a basic tungsten band, and I got a diamond band, so his was cheaper anyways. Our finances are not combined yet. 
  • Options
    DH bought himself this ring. It was a whopping $18.

I liked the idea of me buying DH's ring, but he didn't feel the need to wait on the order just so that the order had my name on it instead of his.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards