Chit Chat
Options

Real Estate markets - what would $XXX get you in your area?

Re: Real Estate markets - what would $XXX get you in your area?

• Options
    sarahufl said:

What keeps you living in the cities with the huge costs of living?
    Well for one, in January when it's 80* and sunny out I think to myself "THIS is why it's so expensive to live here - and it's worth it!"

But that aside: I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I like living close to a major metropolitan city. COULD I move to rural Montana and buy a 6 bedroom house for $50,000? Sure. But then I'd be living in rural Montana.
    This is my thing. I have no desire to live in the sticks.

I like walking to the grocery, not having to drive to work, having an unlimited number of things to do all the time.

My new town is 20 min on the train from Manhattan. We also live a 10 min walk from the beach. That is awesome, IMO.
    You know there is a middle ground between the city where you can walk everywhere and the sticks where you have to drive 30 minutes to get to a Walmart.

• Options
    @sarahufl that sounds like a great location
  • Options
    kvruns said:

$150,000

$300,000

$500,000

$1,000,000+

$150K  An empty lot.  Or a condo (maybe). 

$300K  If you're lucky, a decent house, but a lot of homes in this range are fixer uppers.  You might be able to find a great foreclosure home though.

$500K  A pretty decent average home with slightly nicer fixtures.

$1 million A regular house in a nice area, or a bigger house in a medium good area.  Honestly, a million is not a lot of money here for a nice big house.  In some areas (like down by the beach) a million will maybe get you a shack. 

• Options

I'm in Toronto and not looking to buy, so my answers are just based on what I've seen. So I could be totally wrong; any other Torontonians out there feel free to correct me!

$150,000- A shoebox? Haha. Or maybe a bachelor condo really far out.

$300,000- Very small one bedroom condo, probably not in a desirable area. Or maybe a starter home farther out in the GTA?

$500,000- Decent sized one bedroom, depends on the area though. I've been finding if you want a decent sized condo, in a central area, that's also a newer/nicer building, the price range seems to be around 600,000-750,000.

$1,000,000+- I think you could get a house/townhouse in a central area, or a bigger 2+ bedroom condo.

Average price for a detached house officially passed $1,000,000 a few weeks ago. 

My parent's place (about 20 minutes to the downtown core) is a rundown, semi-detached, hasn't-been-seriously-updated-since-i-was-a-toddler and recently it was appraised just above $700,000. 

Ridiculous! 

We will be moving (soon, I hope) to Ottawa, and the prices there are WAY more reasonable. 

$150,000 - there's a chance you can find a townhome in a rotten neighbourhood, or live very near the airport.

$300,000 - lots of townhomes, built in the 80s. Some condos,if it's newer it's a studio.

$500,000 - as long as you stay out of a couple of neighbourhoods (ex where the PM lives), your options are pretty open. 3 or 4 beds, 1 or 2 baths. 

$1,000,000+ -  hang out with the diplomats during your morning coffee. The older neighbourhoods start around this amount, but they're typically huge Victorian red brick homes in great areas. 

Funny enough, Ottawa is still very limited, hasn't really become a 'big city' in a lot of ways. But at least now they have a Whole Foods, so there's that.
  • Options

sarahufl said:

Well for one, in January when it's 80* and sunny out I think to myself "THIS is why it's so expensive to live here - and it's worth it!"

But that aside: I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I like living close to a major metropolitan city. COULD I move to rural Montana and buy a 6 bedroom house for $50,000? Sure. But then I'd be living in rural Montana.

I like walking to the grocery, not having to drive to work, having an unlimited number of things to do all the time.

My new town is 20 min on the train from Manhattan. We also live a 10 min walk from the beach. That is awesome, IMO.
    You know there is a middle ground between the city where you can walk everywhere and the sticks where you have to drive 30 minutes to get to a Walmart.
    I live in the middle ground :) Large state university, I can walk or take a bus everywhere in town. Not unlimited things to do, but from 6a-2a, I can pretty much find anything I need, including a bus to get on. There's also a very large arts community here.

It would be nice though to have a large airport for direct flights and cheaper flights and if I could get more food delivered... I'd be all about it. And less chains. More local business. 

• Options

I'm in the middle of Iowa (truly a cornfield)...

150k will get you a nicer, newer home. 2+ beds, 2+ baths, attached garage, a nice sized lot, probably fenced in. Also in a pretty good neighborhood. Around 1500-1800 sq ft.

300k will get you 4+ bed, 3+ bath, 3 stall attached garage, a decent lot, great schools, probably up to 2400 sq feet.

Anything over 500k is going to be either an acreage with multiple buildings on it or a mansion in an exclusive development. I love looking at houses :) Can't wait to finally get out of our house. I love it, it's in a GREAT location, but I need another bathroom and a garage. 
    I'm in Iowa too, but it can be quite a bit pricier than that in my area! We just bought not quite a year ago and we would have had to shell out quite a bit more than 150k for 1500-1800 square feet.
  • Options
    labro said:

$150,000 - something close the home I own now. 1988 built 3 bed/2 bath, 1750 sq feet with a crawl space/partial basement. 3/4 acre lot in an older neighborhood.

$300,000 - 5 bedrooms and 3-4 baths, large (3000+ sq feet), probably a 1/3 acre lot since most of the newer homes in this area are on postage stamp lots, 1-3 sided brick

$500,000 - 5 large bedrooms, 5 to 6 baths, full finished basement, large lot, granite/upgraded kitchen, upgraded flooring, 2 -3 car garage, 4-sided brick

$1,000,000+ - Let's just call it a McMansion and be done with it.

This is good to know. H and I want to move down south in the next 5 to 7 years and one of the places we'd consider is Georgia. Being near Atlanta would be ideal since I'd like to have access to a large city for things like events, restaurants, culture and a major airport. Your housing costs sound even cheaper than mine which is awesome.
  • Options
    sal2015 said:

150k will get you a nicer, newer home. 2+ beds, 2+ baths, attached garage, a nice sized lot, probably fenced in. Also in a pretty good neighborhood. Around 1500-1800 sq ft.

300k will get you 4+ bed, 3+ bath, 3 stall attached garage, a decent lot, great schools, probably up to 2400 sq feet.

Anything over 500k is going to be either an acreage with multiple buildings on it or a mansion in an exclusive development. I love looking at houses :) Can't wait to finally get out of our house. I love it, it's in a GREAT location, but I need another bathroom and a garage. 
    I'm in Iowa too, but it can be quite a bit pricier than that in my area! We just bought not quite a year ago and we would have had to shell out quite a bit more than 150k for 1500-1800 square feet.
    Interesting :) Our house is 1700 and appraised at 99k. But it hasn't been updated in... any capacity haha but definitely where you live is huge. And the growing suburbs.

• Options

I live in Pittsburgh where housing is very affordable.

We paid $125,000 for our house and it is a 3 bedroom house (1500 sq feet) in a very hot area of the city.  We bought almost exactly two years ago, but now housing in this area of the city is crazy expensive.  We prob couldn't even afford it if we hadn't bought two years ago.  To give you an idea, a very similar house two down from ours just went on sale and it is $225,000.

However, in the suburbs, $300,000 would be a 4 or 5 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood.  $500,000 and above would be a total mansion.
    Lawrenceville?  Highland Park?

I'm living in Highland Park these days so I'm just curious ;-)

I LOVE our real estate market, and I hope to God that it doesn't turn into the ridiculously overpriced markets of NYC, DC Metro, Boston, San Fran, Seattle, etc.  I seriously don't understand how anyone can live in those areas.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'm totally guessing and seriously in AZ it's all about where you live.

150K-basic starter house, older neighborhood. Or a smaller house/condo in a fancier neighborhood.
    300K-at least 3-4 bedroom in any neighborhood. Might have a pool. Really nice condo in downtown.
    500K-McMansion.
    1mil-Mansion.
  • Options

sarahufl said:

Never said there wasn't
  • Options

sal2015 said:

Interesting :) Our house is 1700 and appraised at 99k. But it hasn't been updated in... any capacity haha but definitely where you live is huge. And the growing suburbs.
    I love my part of Iowa, but I think it might have the highest cost of living for the state. 
  • Options
    lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

I'm in Toronto and not looking to buy, so my answers are just based on what I've seen. So I could be totally wrong; any other Torontonians out there feel free to correct me!

$150,000- A shoebox? Haha. Or maybe a bachelor condo really far out.

$300,000- Very small one bedroom condo, probably not in a desirable area. Or maybe a starter home farther out in the GTA?

$500,000- Decent sized one bedroom, depends on the area though. I've been finding if you want a decent sized condo, in a central area, that's also a newer/nicer building, the price range seems to be around 600,000-750,000.

$1,000,000+- I think you could get a house/townhouse in a central area, or a bigger 2+ bedroom condo.

Average price for a detached house officially passed $1,000,000 a few weeks ago. 

My parent's place (about 20 minutes to the downtown core) is a rundown, semi-detached, hasn't-been-seriously-updated-since-i-was-a-toddler and recently it was appraised just above $700,000. 

Ridiculous! 

We will be moving (soon, I hope) to Ottawa, and the prices there are WAY more reasonable. 

$150,000 - there's a chance you can find a townhome in a rotten neighbourhood, or live very near the airport.

$300,000 - lots of townhomes, built in the 80s. Some condos,if it's newer it's a studio.

$500,000 - as long as you stay out of a couple of neighbourhoods (ex where the PM lives), your options are pretty open. 3 or 4 beds, 1 or 2 baths. 

$1,000,000+ -  hang out with the diplomats during your morning coffee. The older neighbourhoods start around this amount, but they're typically huge Victorian red brick homes in great areas. 

Funny enough, Ottawa is still very limited, hasn't really become a 'big city' in a lot of ways. But at least now they have a Whole Foods, so there's that.
    Ottawa is MUCH cheaper! My family lived there for a bit when I was a kid. You can actually get a decent house in a decent neighborhood for 500k, imagine that. I agree it doesn't feel much like a "big city," sometimes. Apparently they finally got an H&M?!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    @novella1186 you're in Indiana too, right?  I think I remember that.  Very curious on the area based on your real estate comments although I have a guess
  • Options

In my area:

$150,000 buys you a decent home

$300,000  buys you a kick butt home.

$500,000 buys you a dream home.

$1,000,000+  There aren't any...

• Options
    Oh hey prettygirllost!  Didn't realize you were a Pittsburgher!  Yeah, we're in Lawrenceville.  I love Highland Park, too, though.  Do you rent or do you own?
  • Options
    kvruns said:

@novella1186 you're in Indiana too, right?  I think I remember that.  Very curious on the area based on your real estate comments although I have a guess

Yep I sure am! I seriously am in the middle of nowhere. Fort Wayne is about an hour away. 
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    kvruns said:

I've always been fascinated by real estate markets and watching housing prices in my area and also seeing how things differ across the country (and even around the world).  The weekend thread got me thinking about this since I know there are knotties from all over on here.  So I'm curious, what kind of living space could you buy for different amounts in your area.  No real definition of area but maybe your neighborhood or those close by.

$150,000

$300,000

$500,000

$1,000,000+

I live in a "fancy" suburb of Chicago. Schools are really good.

$150k-- nothing.

$300k- not much. potentially a teardown house on a really small lot

$500k-- a small/ old house not near the center of town or the train station. Or a townhouse, 3 bed, 2.5 bath. But we have very, very few of those. Our town actively works to not have townhouse or apartment buildings.

$1mil- a small custom built house, without any of the fancy trimmings. Or a good size house (3,000 sq ft ish) but that is older and work need some work.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Rural NC (about 30 minutes to town which means to a Walmart)

-$150,000: 3/4 bedroom, 2 bath, considerable amount of land (at least 5 to 10 acres), 2,000 square feet 

-$300,000: 5/6 bedroom, 3 bath, a lot of land (25 acres), 3,000 square feet

-$500,000: 6+ bedroom, 4 bath, a lot of land (50 acres), 4,000 square feet

-$1,000,000: I can't even fathom what this would be

Depending on how much land you want, you could buy a bigger home with less land or a smaller home with more land and come out about the same.

DH and I plan to build on land we already have (if we don't move or move back eventually) and we're looking at the $200,000 cap, hopefully less.

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @cupcait927 How exciting! I live northeast of the city. Without traffic, it's a 30 minute drive into the downtown area which is perfect for me. The northern suburbs are all really nice areas to live in, good school systems, taxes are variable depending on which county you're in. Metro Atlanta is generally a really great place to live! I love the culture, you have a nice mix of Southern + city culture that really makes for a fun vibe.

• Options
    I'm in a rapidly developing area about 50km outside of Vancouver. Transit is okay to downtown, schools are okay.

$150,000 - might get you a small empty lot

$300,000 - 2 bedroom plus den condo (brand new)

$500,000 - 3 bedroom townhouse (brand new)

$1,000,000 - Detached house with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, no yard, facing a busy street. It's about $1.5 million to get the same house with a small yard on a quiet street.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Buffalo, NY

150,000:  This will get you a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1500 sq. ft. house with a poor layout but a huge yard.   The house will be older, and you would need new windows or new carpets.  This price will also get you a very nice updated Cape. (I hate Capes. H and I are really tall and slanted ceilings are a guaranteed unusable space).

300,000 This will get you pretty much anything you want. The new builds are around $220,000-$250,000 with 3-4 bedrooms, with high end finishes, 1500-2,000 sq. ft. in the suburbs. These will all have small yards. If you spend $300,00, you will have 3-4 bdr, 2200-2500 sq. ft. a larger yard, but the house will need updates in the suburbs. They have good bones, but the houses are dated. They have all of the major stuff (windows, roof, hot water tank), were built the 70s or 80s. These houses are on bigger lots than the new builds.

$500,000 these are your McMansions (more bathrooms than bedrooms).  These are high priced new builds in a posh neighborhood,  You can also get an older house 3-4 bedrooms with 2-1/2 bath, with all of the updates for $450,000

$1,000,000 The sky is the limit, here. There is a white mansion with giant columns (think Tara) on the waterfront that needs updating that goes for this price. It has horse stables, and built in 1920, with the original chandeliers. I dream about owning this and turning it into a bed and breakfast.. (Even if I had the money to buy this place, the taxes on this gorgeous estate are $21,000). A million dollars will get you nearly anything in my city. The most expensive house in our area is being sold at 4.5 million. This house is 15,000 sq. feet on 160 acres, and totally updated.

• Options
    tpwkalyntpwkalyn member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2015
    Wow-ee, you guys are making me extremely thankful that I live where I do.
    I live in a small town in Alabama just north of Birmingham.

$130k - gets you either a nice, brand new town home in a nice subdivision, about 1400sqft - 3b/2ba with a one car garage with like, barely enough land to have a back yard, and you can see your neighbor's friggin nose hairs thru your window bc the houses are so close together, OR an older home that's not technically in a subdivision on about a quarter of an acre with 1300sqft - 2b/1.5ba, maybe with a basement/garage.

$150k - gets you either a nice, brand new town home in a nice subdivision, about 2000sqft - 4b/2.5ba with a two car garage. OR an "older" (I'm talking like built in 1990ish) home with some more land, maybe an acre or two with 1500-2000sqft. With a finished basement/2 car garage.

$300k gets you basically a dream home. 4-5 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, at least 3000sqft, in-ground pool in the back yard, 4 car garage, full brick, all that jazz.

$1m - I honestly don't even know if we have any homes that expensive where I live. I think the most I've seen around here is like a 5b/4.5ba on 2.5 acres with 3000sqft and it's $500k.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    As for what keeps us in this high COL area: first, we just love it here.  We can walk to anything we need, I get 2 hour Amazon delivery at my job, I wake up and look out at the World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, and the Hudson River. We never have to drive.  Our friends and most of our family are reasonably close by.  Second, Fi is in the financial industry and I'm a securities lawyer.  This is the center of the world as far as both of our industries are concerned.  New York is it for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    edited March 2015

Oh hey prettygirllost!  Didn't realize you were a Pittsburgher!  Yeah, we're in Lawrenceville.  I love Highland Park, too, though.  Do you rent or do you own?

Renting right now.  Building our savings up for a house :-)

DH's brother has a house in Lawrenceville and his AUnts own a bunch of properties thee they they rent.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    In my county:

Town 1 is the county seat. However, it is in a major economic slump. Businesses are not choosing to come here, existing shopping is next to nothing, restaurants are fast food or one "nicer" place. Schools are terrible (to the point that at one point you were allowed to go out of district if you could get your kids there). 

Town 2 is the strongest, economically. A mall and a large outdoor shopping center. Schools were very good although I've heard they have somewhat outgrown their britches and are not doing quite as well (but certainly better than Town 1). Several nicer chain restaurants, good diversity of options at various price points.

Town 3 is home to a fairly large public university. The school system is consistently good, and there are some nice locally owned restaurants, as well as college town staples like Waffle / Huddle Houses and several fast food options. The only town currently home to a true coffee shop as opposed to Starbucks. No major shopping outside of Walmart and some local places. ~30 minutes to Town 2, where shopping is.

Town 4 is fairly rural. Schools are decent and going up. Nothing but groceries and limited fast food places, but an interesting bike trail that crosses state lines, and close to lots of other outdoor activities. 1+ hour to Town 2.

All are pulled from the MLS.

$150,000: 
    Town 1: 3/2.5 completely renovated in a good neighborhood. Bonus room.
    Town 2: Newly remodeled 4/3. Good neighborhood.
    Town 3: 5/3 on a golf course. Finished basement.
    Town 4: 3/2 with 2 car garage. Will need some updates, but in functional order.

$300,000:
    Town 1: 4/3 on three acres with lots of fruit bearing trees and bushes. Finished basement. 
    Town 2: New build on golf course - 5/3.
    Town 3: Historic 4/3.5 completely renovated on 1 acre.
    Town 4: 4/2 with 2 car garage. In ground pool with lake views. 

$500,000:
    Town 1: 5/4 + bonus room with closet. Security system with intercom. Formal lr/dr, plus family room and casual dr. Unfinished basement ready to put in an whole separate apartment.
    Town 2: Nothing available at this point at this time. 
    Town 3: Nothing available at this point at this time.
    Town 4: Nothing available at this point at this time. 

$1,000,000: 
    Town 1: 6/5 home with formal living room and family room, three car garage, on 23 acres. In ground pool. Security system. Garage apartment.
    Town 2: 7/7, 5 car garage. Over an acre. On a golf course.
    Town 4: ($650k) 2 homes on 80 acres. One home build in 78 with 3/1 and one newer build with 2/2. Workshop. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

In my county:

Town 1 is the county seat. However, it is in a major economic slump. Businesses are not choosing to come here, existing shopping is next to nothing, restaurants are fast food or one "nicer" place. Schools are terrible (to the point that at one point you were allowed to go out of district if you could get your kids there). 

Town 2 is the strongest, economically. A mall and a large outdoor shopping center. Schools were very good although I've heard they have somewhat outgrown their britches and are not doing quite as well (but certainly better than Town 1). Several nicer chain restaurants, good diversity of options at various price points.

Town 3 is home to a fairly large public university. The school system is consistently good, and there are some nice locally owned restaurants, as well as college town staples like Waffle / Huddle Houses and several fast food options. The only town currently home to a true coffee shop as opposed to Starbucks. No major shopping outside of Walmart and some local places. ~30 minutes to Town 2, where shopping is.

Town 4 is fairly rural. Schools are decent and going up. Nothing but groceries and limited fast food places, but an interesting bike trail that crosses state lines, and close to lots of other outdoor activities. 1+ hour to Town 2.

$150,000: 

$300,000:
    Town 1: 4/3 on three acres with lots of fruit bearing trees and bushes. Finished basement. 

$500,000:
    Town 1: 5/4 + bonus room with closet. Security system with intercom. Formal lr/dr, plus family room and casual dr. Unfinished basement ready to put in an whole separate apartment.

$1,000,000: 
    Town 1: 6/5 home with formal living room and family room, three car garage, on 23 acres. In ground pool. Security system. Garage apartment.
    Town 4: ($650k) 2 homes on 80 acres. One home build in 78 with 3/1 and one newer build with 2/2. Workshop. 
    That was so comprehensive! I feel like I am ready to move to Alabama if I needed to.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

In my county:

$150,000: 

$300,000:

$500,000:

$1,000,000: 
    That was so comprehensive! I feel like I am ready to move to Alabama if I needed to.
    Don't move here. House prices are good because the area sucks haha.

I had fun though. There are houses I could buy for less than a new car in Town 1. No lie.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada

$150,000 - A piece of land to build on. There are currently nothing for sale homewise in this price range.The cheapest listing i could find was a mobile home for 170K

$300,000 - Not much in this range either. Things seem to be starting around the 350 mark and that will get you half a duplex.

$500,000 - could get you a 15 year old 2/3 bedroom home.

$1,000,000+ a larger house on a bigger lot. There are a lot of acreages just out of town that fall in this range

I would say the average cost here of a newish 3 bedroom house is 750-800,000

Its a little nuts right now. I mean we are close to NOTHING. it's not exactly a swell place to live. But there's mining/oil and gas and a lot of the industries that pay the big bucks so people make a lot of money and are willing to pay the prices.

I currently pay 1600/mn + utilities to rent a small 3 bedroom townhouse. Most apartments here rent for 1450/mn.

Its really hard to save money!
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    $150K. - nothing in my town. $175k will get you a mobile home without land. 

$300K. - nothing.   There a 1 bedroom townhouse for sale for $350K.  About 888 sq feet.

$400K  - 2/3 bedroom townhouse about 15 years old.   Needs updating.   Or a single family home about 1400 sq ft.  Also old and needs updating.  That neighborhood doesn't have places for sale very often.

$500-600K you can start getting in brand new construction of a town home.  2/3 bedrooms. About 1700 sq ft.    Or a few single family homes.

$600-700K is where it's at.   Decent inventory for a 2000-3000 sq single family home with a decent lot.

My old GM just sold her house for $1.3M.  It had 4 bedrooms, 3 baths.  Large acre lot.   Very small kitchen.   Weird layout too.    

The average listing for homes here is well over $1M.    There are a lot of places in the $10+M. Not sure the houses, but they all have decent land.

ETA - while housing costs are high, I don't find this area to overly high in other aspects.    Property taxes are fairly low.   $400K condos are under $2K.    My MIL's property taxes in Long Island costs about $18K in yearly taxes.  And no her home is not all that.  She bought it back in the 70's and is worth about $700K now.  But needs a lot of work.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards