Chit Chat
Options

Real Estate markets - what would $XXX get you in your area?

Re: Real Estate markets - what would $XXX get you in your area?

• Options
    kvruns said:

I've always been fascinated by real estate markets and watching housing prices in my area and also seeing how things differ across the country (and even around the world).  The weekend thread got me thinking about this since I know there are knotties from all over on here.  So I'm curious, what kind of living space could you buy for different amounts in your area.  No real definition of area but maybe your neighborhood or those close by.

$150,000

$300,000

$500,000

$1,000,000+

I live in the Bay Area.

$150,000 - Nothing.
    $300,000 - A manufactured home in a park (I'm serious).
    $500,000 - Possibly a fixer in a moderately desireable area; a nice home in a less desireable area.
    $1,000,000 - A "starter" home in SF proper or some of the nicer/more desireable outlying cities, a nice moderate home in some of the surrounding commuter cities.

I will likely never be able to buy a home here.
    Im your huckleberry gif Val Kilmer Tombstone Imgur
  • Options
    lol at renting anything for 500 bucks.

When I left Manhattan, we were paying $3370 for a 2 bed/1 bath apartment.

And that was (sadly) considered under priced for the neighborhood.
  • Options
    jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    The thing I find a kick in the teeth is that I have gone on monster.com and careerbuilder and looked for jobs in places like Manhattan and Los Angeles and the salaries were about the same as mine (in central MA). They were not 4 times higher...so I honestly don't understand how people can afford those areas. People always say the pay is higher but when I looked for a job, they were not higher or maybe like a few grand a year. 

ETA- obviously the pay is higher than say Alabama, but not I mean comparable expensive areas like Boston/ Chicago

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

The thing I find a kick in the teeth is that I have gone on monster.com and careerbuilder and looked for jobs in places like Manhattan and Los Angeles and the salaries were about the same as mine (in central MA). They were not 4 times higher...so I honestly don't understand how people can afford those areas. People always say the pay is higher but when I looked for a job, they were not higher or maybe like a few grand a year. 

ETA- obviously the pay is higher than say Alabama, but not I mean comparable expensive areas like Boston/ Chicago
    It depends what you do. For a tax accountant, MA vs NY is not going to be different. So I agree with you there. But Ny/MA vs Alabama probably is.

• Options
    I can't speak to home buying in Denver because I've always been a renter. But I can say that there is a huge difference b/w the rental prices in Denver proper and the suburbs. We live in a southern suburb and pay $2,000/mo for a 4 bed, 3 bath ~2400 sq ft house. My sister is renting her studio loft, 1 bath ~700 sq ft condo downtown for $2100/mo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I live in Pittsburgh where housing is very affordable.

We paid $125,000 for our house and it is a 3 bedroom house (1500 sq feet) in a very hot area of the city.  We bought almost exactly two years ago, but now housing in this area of the city is crazy expensive.  We prob couldn't even afford it if we hadn't bought two years ago.  To give you an idea, a very similar house two down from ours just went on sale and it is $225,000.

However, in the suburbs, $300,000 would be a 4 or 5 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood.  $500,000 and above would be a total mansion.
    Lawrenceville?  Highland Park?

I'm living in Highland Park these days so I'm just curious ;-)

I LOVE our real estate market, and I hope to God that it doesn't turn into the ridiculously overpriced markets of NYC, DC Metro, Boston, San Fran, Seattle, etc.  I seriously don't understand how anyone can live in those areas.
    I don't know why you'd want to live in Pittsburgh, so to each their own. 

I'm in Biotech, Boston/Cambridge is where you want to be for that. My family lives in CT, and my husband's family lives 15 minutes from us. I'm never leaving!
    Low cost of living, affordable housing, nice suburbs, great restaurants, good sized metro area- not too big nor too small, less snow than New England, family lives here.  What's not to like?!

Now, I didn't say I don't know why ppl want to live in Boston etc, I said I don't know how they can. . . as evidenced by the grossly overpriced housing market you have to deal with.  I know a couple who are both lawyers who bought the 3rd floor of a house in Boston for $500K. 

A floor for half a million, not even an actual, entire house ><

I think it's a great area up there, but the cost of living is just too damn high. . . and the drivers are nuts ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

We paid $125,000 for our house and it is a 3 bedroom house (1500 sq feet) in a very hot area of the city.  We bought almost exactly two years ago, but now housing in this area of the city is crazy expensive.  We prob couldn't even afford it if we hadn't bought two years ago.  To give you an idea, a very similar house two down from ours just went on sale and it is $225,000.

However, in the suburbs, $300,000 would be a 4 or 5 bedroom house in a very nice neighborhood.  $500,000 and above would be a total mansion.

I LOVE our real estate market, and I hope to God that it doesn't turn into the ridiculously overpriced markets of NYC, DC Metro, Boston, San Fran, Seattle, etc.  I seriously don't understand how anyone can live in those areas.

I'm in Biotech, Boston/Cambridge is where you want to be for that. My family lives in CT, and my husband's family lives 15 minutes from us. I'm never leaving!
    Low cost of living, affordable housing, nice suburbs, great restaurants, good sized metro area- not too big nor too small, less snow than New England, family lives here.  What's not to like?!

Now, I didn't say I don't know why ppl want to live in Boston etc, I said I don't know how they can. . . as evidenced by the grossly overpriced housing market you have to deal with.  I know a couple who are both lawyers who bought the 3rd floor of a house in Boston for $500K. 

I think it's a great area up there, but the cost of living is just too damn high. . . and the drivers are nuts ;-)

That's probably a triple-decker condo. Those are very popular in the Somerville/Cambridge area. They easily go for $500,000. Most of the ones that I have seen are even more expensive.

• Options
    arrippa said:

That's probably a triple-decker condo. Those are very popular in the Somerville/Cambridge area. They easily go for $500,000. Most of the ones that I have seen are even more expensive.

Holy hell, lol!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Yeah, I rent one of these. It's the famous Boston "triple decker". 2BR/1BA, 1000 sq ft, and we pay $2500/month plus utilities. But the going price if we were to buy a place like this would be ~$500K. Still, this pales in comparison to the SF Bay area or Manhattan (or Toronto, as I've learned form readin this thread!). And yes, the drivers are bad - that's why we call them Ma$$holes.
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    edited March 2015

Metro Detroit... give or take depending on the burb. The "fancy" burbs around here go for about double the reasonable ones.

$150,000: 1000-1200 sq ft ranch, 1 bathroom, original 50's kitchen.

$300,000: 2000-2500 sq ft, updated 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 30-40 year old house.

$500,000: 3000+ sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, <10 years old or completely renovated

$1,000,000+: 5000+ sq ft, movie theater inside your house, more bathrooms than bedrooms, gourmet kitchen

I came in here to post that I don't think anyone in michigan has 1,000,000 bucks to spend on a house, but I thought I would look for your post first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Metro Detroit... give or take depending on the burb. The "fancy" burbs around here go for about double the reasonable ones.

$500,000: 3000+ sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, <10 years old or completely renovated

$1,000,000+: 5000+ sq ft, movie theater inside your house, more bathrooms than bedrooms, gourmet kitchen

I came in here to post that I don't think anyone in michigan has 1,000,000 bucks to spend on a house, but I thought I would look for your post first.
    Only the pro athletes and pizza magnates! I think the most expensive listing I saw was $6mm.

• Options
    larrygaga said:

I live in the land of 2,5 even 45 million dollar homes.

A vast majority of these homes are 2nd or even 4th homes for the owners.

I'm just looking for a $400-$500K first home   :sad:

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @larrygaga when we have our lady date I'll show you Chris Osgood's house in Plymouth.

• Options

@larrygaga when we have our lady date I'll show you Chris Osgood's house in Plymouth.

i may or may not break into his house, not sure if good idea
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm in MN. It's a tad more expensive than northern MN was or especially than OR was, but it's pretty decent.  MN  has one of the better jobs vs cost of living markets in the US. At least there's something good about it...

$150k gets you something decent. Not fancy, but not a gutter either. Up north, we looked at a new build for $150k. It was really pretty nice, good amount of space, 3 or 4 bedrooms, a master bath with a double sink. But I didn't like the lot it was on- it was small, right next to another empty lot, and in a pretty run down and ugly part of town.

We looked at another house for under $130k that I loved. But it was old, so the bedrooms were really small, and the garage wasn't really usable. 

$300k is enough for everything I want- 5-10 acres, 3-4 bedrooms, 2 bath, 2 stall garage, good condition. 

Anything above that I haven't really looked at because it is just plain out of my budget forever and ever amen. 
  • Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

huskypuppy- I get your point.  However, I feel I MUST defend my city :-)  More or less every article that's come out in the past two years about best places to live in America lists Pgh as one of those places. Usually the articles cites the large cultural district that we have, the really unique neighborhoods that are found throughout our city, the fact that it's a haven for foodies, and the affordable prices.  But, as you said, to each their own.

@katiekessler123 & @PrettyGirlLost - As a recent transplant to Pittsburgh, let me tell you what's not to like: people acting like total assholes, especially to new residents, and ESPECIALLY those from Ohio. For all the hype about people in Pittsburgh being sooooo friendly, I've met very few of those in the three months I've been here. All the cool arts and foods things and low cost of living in the world don't make up for people being rude and awful continually. 
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    edited March 2015
    I live in the very far outer reaches of the Denver metro area... we're not in a city limit, but closest town is Brighton, CO.  

$150k - this will get you a small (under 1000 sq ft) older house in town, probably something that needs some updating.  There aren't really condos out here, and nicer townhomes are closer to $200k now.

$300k - this will get you a decent home in a subdivision in town... 3-4 bedrooms, 2000-2500 sq ft, depending on the age... older more like 2500, newer closer to 2000.  

$500k - this will get you a nice home on some land outside of town.  For example, our home we just built is brand new, on an acre, and is 1850 sq ft with another 1850 sq ft in the basement with 9 foot ceilings that we will finish later, we were at 437k.  If we bought now,  it'd probably be closer to 475k just because prices have gone up since we did our contract last year.  All our neighbors with slightly larger homes (2000-2500 sq ft) have been paying closer to 500.  In town, I'm not sure there's many houses for 500k.

$1 million - this would get you a pretty mack daddy house on some land, at least 2-3 acres.  There's only a handful of these, and many of them have horse facilities which drives the price up.  It could also get you a smaller house on tons of land, 50+ acres, obviously farther out of town.  There's a larger supply of homes in the 700-800k range that are really nice on some land.

I lived most of my 20s in Chicago and if you asked me if I'd be living out here in my 30s, I'd tell you you were crazy.... but, here I am.  I do have a meh commute... about 35 minutes there and 45 minutes home, and that's using a toll road that costs me about $175/month.  It would be at least an hour if I didn't take the toll.  If I found a job in one of the closer cities it wouldn't be so bad but I like my company.  We can make it downtown Denver during non-rush hour in 25-30 minutes.  Plus, we have a kick ass panoramic mountain view by living out here.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Sorry to hear that @esstee33- though, I think there are assholes everywhere.  I don't think that's exclusive to the city of Pittsburgh.  Though, I have to say when my husband and I bought our house, our neighbors were incredibly welcoming and more or less everywhere I've lived within the city I have experienced kindness.  Here's hoping things get better for you and your adjustment to a new city goes well.
  • Options
    @esstee33 come to Detroit, we still don't like Ohio but we're happy to have anyone move here rather than leave. :)

• Options
    esstee33 said:

huskypuppy- I get your point.  However, I feel I MUST defend my city :-)  More or less every article that's come out in the past two years about best places to live in America lists Pgh as one of those places. Usually the articles cites the large cultural district that we have, the really unique neighborhoods that are found throughout our city, the fact that it's a haven for foodies, and the affordable prices.  But, as you said, to each their own.

@katiekessler123 & @PrettyGirlLost - As a recent transplant to Pittsburgh, let me tell you what's not to like: people acting like total assholes, especially to new residents, and ESPECIALLY those from Ohio. For all the hype about people in Pittsburgh being sooooo friendly, I've met very few of those in the three months I've been here. All the cool arts and foods things and low cost of living in the world don't make up for people being rude and awful continually. 
    There's no excuse for just being an asshole, although typically 'Burghers don't really have that rep.

Now I will say that Yinzers- subset of Pittsburghers- do tend to dislike ppl from Ohio due to the "Stillers"/Browns/"Bungals" rivalry, and because there are quite a few people who live in Ohio but work in Pittsburgh, which pissed ppl off because they aren't paying taxes here then, supposedly.

And that's all just very stupid! I don't give a shit about football, but fuck the flyers ;-)

PM me if you ever want to try a Knottie Pittsburgh meeting. I promise I'll be nice!

• Options
    i have never mentioned where I live exactly on here, but I will now, sort of: I live in Breaking-Bad-Ville.

$150,000: Walter White's house

$300,000: our house (3 bedroom, mid century modern, needs a new roof but otherwise beautifully maintained, good school district)

$500,000: the Pinkman residence or Hank and Marie's house. Pretty much as expensive as it gets.

$1,000,000: Land and a fancy house? Move to Santa Fe? Not a lot of million dollar properties around here.
  • Options
    @amelisha I think we live in the same city haha. I bought in one of the new burbs past the ring road in the deep south.
    Of course, there isnt much around (yet). I work just outside of downtown and take the ring road in every day, so I dont mind driving everywhere obviously. We don't spend much time DT so it works for us. My mortgage is cheaper than your rent though =| 
  • Options

@amelisha I think we live in the same city haha. I bought in one of the new burbs past the ring road in the deep south.
    Of course, there isnt much around (yet). I work just outside of downtown and take the ring road in every day, so I dont mind driving everywhere obviously. We don't spend much time DT so it works for us. My mortgage is cheaper than your rent though =| 
    We just can't figure out how we could move out there and still work downtown, is our problem. Hundreds a month for parking, the gas, the commuting time...compared to our life now we feel like it would be so much more time and money, you know? If we wanted kids I know we'd consider it (I actually rented a house in south terwillegar when I worked on the west end and it worked great) but we just like our lifestyle too much to want to do the suburbs now.

we have a roommate so it helps with the rent, but I admit that I'm sad we could buy a nice new house way south or west for the same price we'll be buying some tiny fixer-upper close to work. Hate how spread out this city is.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm in Toronto and not looking to buy, so my answers are just based on what I've seen. So I could be totally wrong; any other Torontonians out there feel free to correct me!

$150,000- A shoebox? Haha. Or maybe a bachelor condo really far out.

$300,000- Very small one bedroom condo, probably not in a desirable area. Or maybe a starter home farther out in the GTA?

$500,000- Decent sized one bedroom, depends on the area though. I've been finding if you want a decent sized condo, in a central area, that's also a newer/nicer building, the price range seems to be around 600,000-750,000.

$1,000,000+- I think you could get a house/townhouse in a central area, or a bigger 2+ bedroom condo.

Average price for a detached house officially passed $1,000,000 a few weeks ago. 

My parent's place (about 20 minutes to the downtown core) is a rundown, semi-detached, hasn't-been-seriously-updated-since-i-was-a-toddler and recently it was appraised just above $700,000. 

Ridiculous! 

We will be moving (soon, I hope) to Ottawa, and the prices there are WAY more reasonable. 

$150,000 - there's a chance you can find a townhome in a rotten neighbourhood, or live very near the airport.

$300,000 - lots of townhomes, built in the 80s. Some condos,if it's newer it's a studio.

$500,000 - as long as you stay out of a couple of neighbourhoods (ex where the PM lives), your options are pretty open. 3 or 4 beds, 1 or 2 baths. 

$1,000,000+ -  hang out with the diplomats during your morning coffee. The older neighbourhoods start around this amount, but they're typically huge Victorian red brick homes in great areas. 

Funny enough, Ottawa is still very limited, hasn't really become a 'big city' in a lot of ways. But at least now they have a Whole Foods, so there's that.
    Ottawa is MUCH cheaper! My family lived there for a bit when I was a kid. You can actually get a decent house in a decent neighborhood for 500k, imagine that. I agree it doesn't feel much like a "big city," sometimes. Apparently they finally got an H&M?!

Yeah. It's pretty cute. My Mom calls it 'Mayberry' because it's still so small-town. Driving from the outskirts to the core in 25 minutes? My subway ride to middle school in Toronto was longer than that!

• Options

I live in a little town in Ohio but our prices can run a bit high because we're on the lake.

$150,000 - a nice 3-4 bedroom house that would probably need a little love and some updating 

$300,000 - More bedrooms and land OR same as the 150,000 house but location in a neighborhood with a private beach

$500,000 - 5 bedrooms, 3/4 bathrooms, private beach, usually access to a dock

$1,000,000+ - Amazing house on the water with your own dock 

• Options
    I decided to do a comparison of a neighborhood we like up in ohio to one in Texas. I am doing the numbers we are 140k-200k maybe 220k tops

Ohio: You would be lucky to get a new construction or a house period. There are condos and smaller older houses but nothing we want. we want a build year of 2000 or newer. 

Texas: 190k will get you 4 bedrooms 1.5/2 bathrooms but a small yard. 
  • Options
    mrsk616 said:

I decided to do a comparison of a neighborhood we like up in ohio to one in Texas. I am doing the numbers we are 140k-200k maybe 220k tops

Ohio: You would be lucky to get a new construction or a house period. There are condos and smaller older houses but nothing we want. we want a build year of 2000 or newer. 

This makes me sick to my stomach. I would do some pretty unspeakable things for those prices.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsk616 said:

Really?  That's odd to me.  I had no idea the housing market was that booming in Ohio.

• Options
    edited March 2015

mrsk616 said:

Really?  That's odd to me.  I had no idea the housing market was that booming in Ohio.
    @mrsk616 I'm not sure what neighborhood/city you're looking at, but there are definitely nice houses in those ranges around the Columbus area and suburbs.
  • Options
    AlisonM23 said:

mrsk616 said:

@mrsk616 I'm not sure what neighborhood/city you're looking at, but there are definitely nice houses in those ranges around the Columbus area and suburbs.
    we were looking in lorain county up on the lake to be specific. my sister is cbus and i love it down there. we fell in love with a development but the houses are to close together and its a golf course development. 

depends on the area. some areas you are able to get 150k and it be a decent newer construction house but other areas (older areas that have been around for ages) you will get older homes. We have a house in one of those areas and its full of problems with the house and neighborhood. we had a neighbor actually punch one of our cars (no idea why and police cant do anything because we didnt catch him doing it and same neighbor who used our driveway to cut across our grass and his to get into his driveway turfing it) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards