Chit Chat

Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

http://feministing.com/2015/03/26/far-from-over-anti-lgbt-laws-and-the-next-phase-of-queer-activism/

So Indiana has passed a new law. Allowing businesses to discrimnate against LGBT people. Under the guise of "religious freedom".

Bull fucking shit. Your religious freedom is not being persecuted because you have to make a cake for Tom and Ted's wedding. Your religious freedom is not being persecuted because Joan and Lisa are renting a room at your hotel. You're a fucking homophobic prick. That's what is happening. Own your fucking bigotry. Or don't be a bigot. Those are your options. 

And lemme tell ya something if your relationship with your god is so weak, that you can't be around people who don't fuck the right people, who don't identify as the right gender, who don't follow your fucking rules, then it is not the problem of queer people. It is your relationship with your god that needs to be worked on. 

So fuck you you motherfuckers who signed this fucking bill. Fuck you.

Re: Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

This is like...one of my all time favorite gifs.
  • I can't believe that actually passed. There were so many people against it.
  • We had a similar bill come up in Arizona. It got shot down so fast. But now that we leaglized gay marriage there's talk of it coming back up. Honestly, I think our saving grace, we have big tourist money that comes in and they put it up just before the Super Bowl headed to town. Celebrities started saying they wouldn't come to Arizona anymore and boom, the bill died. 

I don't think Indiana has that as much on their side. I know the article mentioned one of the cons who said if it passed the won't host there anymore, but I don't think that was big enough money.

If they'd just let Leslie Knope run the state it wouldn't be an issue. 
  • This just makes me want to puke. Fuck Mike Pence. Up the ass with a flaming cactus. 

How is this any different than saying Jews or Muslim or black people can be refused service if they offend your personal religion? How the fucking fuck. 
    It's exactly the same actually, and all those people are now free to be discriminated against, too. All you have to say is that it hurt your feelers in the religion department and you can discriminate against whomever you want.

• This just makes me want to puke. Fuck Mike Pence. Up the ass with a flaming cactus. 

How is this any different than saying Jews or Muslim or black people can be refused service if they offend your personal religion? How the fucking fuck. 
    Because gays choose to be gay. Remember? When you like 8 you went in that big room and picked to like boys? Did that...you didn't do that?
  • I'm really just shocked. I live somewhat close to Indiana and they've been talking about this bill a lot on the news here, and they were doing polls and stuff. Seriously, the majority of citizens seemed to be against the bill. I'm guessing the governor doesn't want to be re-elected.
  • "According to the Human Rights Campaign, the loosely-worded law will allow one’s religious beliefs to interfere with others’ rights. For example, a religious pharmacist could legally refuse to fill a prescription for birth control medication. A police officer could refuse to patrol near a church that’s not of his religion. A pro-life doctor could withhold information from a woman whose life would be threatened by full-term pregnancy, and to prevent her from seeking an abortion. The beliefs of particular Christian sects would also legalize their discrimination against women and divorcees, and even against minorities (remember – the KKK identifies itself as a Christian organization)."

• I'm literally sitting at my desk crying right now because I'm so pissed off and disgusted. I live in Indiana and this is fucking gross. So fucking gross. Hate and bigotry shouldn't have any role in governing state laws. Fuck this. 
  • I'm sorry, did we fucking time warp back to the 50's? Since when is this shit acceptable?
  • It cannot be enforceable, right? Like, some federal court is going to step in and put a stop to this shit. Right? 

I am absolutely heartbroken by this. This is not two steps back. This is so far back you can't even see where you were. It's disgusting.
    From what I've heard in court cases in other states it has never held up if it ever came to that and ultimately the courts have sided with the person not the business. I think there are 19 other states with similar laws on the books
  • MagicInk said:

We had a similar bill come up in Arizona. It got shot down so fast. But now that we leaglized gay marriage there's talk of it coming back up. Honestly, I think our saving grace, we have big tourist money that comes in and they put it up just before the Super Bowl headed to town. Celebrities started saying they wouldn't come to Arizona anymore and boom, the bill died. 

I don't think Indiana has that as much on their side. I know the article mentioned one of the cons who said if it passed the won't host there anymore, but I don't think that was big enough money.

If they'd just let Leslie Knope run the state it wouldn't be an issue. 
    Gen Con is the biggest one and is a $50M economic impact each year, so not chump change.  They are under contract through 2020.  The reality is that while this is a statewide thing it really impacts Indianapolis since it plays host to the conferences, it has the sports teams and events, has hosted the Super Bowl etc.  The mayor of Indianapolis was against the bill.
  • Well now I know which state I will not be visiting!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It cannot be enforceable, right? Like, some federal court is going to step in and put a stop to this shit. Right? 

I am absolutely heartbroken by this. This is not two steps back. This is so far back you can't even see where you were. It's disgusting.
    I was going to say this. I bet if people sue in Supreme Court, it'll be overturned. Religious freedom is First Amendment, but discrimination is.... against something. I can't remember what. Same argument that the SC is using to overturn gay marriage bans. Back me up.

So when you have two legally protected rights that are at odds, you have to find common ground. If I were the court, I'd say that once you enter into the public domain of, you know, having a business, you can't discriminate on personal beliefs. 

Ugh. 

• scribe95 said:

Also, here is a map showing what states have passed the law specifically. Or in alternative, what states have courts that have interpreted these issues under the strict scrutiny test. Check out how your state fares!

Not surprised SC is on there. I love this place, but the backwards politics are the worst. It makes me so embarrassed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is such bullshit.  WTF?  I have no words.
  • My friend's dad owns a photography business and he sometimes does weddings.

Me and my friend were discussing legalization of gay marriage (protip: don't do this) and she was saying that it makes her uncomfortable because she knows that her dad might not want to photograph a gay wedding, and if gay wedding were legal then he's HAVE to.

I was trying to nicely tell her that her father is a bigot and she was all "but he's not! He's a great person and a wonderful father" and I was trying to explain that the two aren't mutually exclusive (someone can be an awesome father and a bigot, and being a bigot doesn't stop you from being an otherwise non-asshole). She just would not or could not see that her dad not wanting to photograph a gay wedding is the definition of him being bigoted.

We aren't really friends anymore.

• I'm literally sitting at my desk crying right now because I'm so pissed off and disgusted. I live in Indiana and this is fucking gross. So fucking gross. Hate and bigotry shouldn't have any role in governing state laws. Fuck this. 

I wish I could tell you to move to Michigan but we're not any better, unfortunately. :(

•  My Aunt who is a jehovah's witness is the same way (not saying all Jehovah's are this way, she is the only JW I know). I was even hesitant to invite her to my wedding because it did not follow her religious doctrine. (She did not even attend her brother's funeral because he was not buried to the jehovah's beliefs). 

She has been known to come over for dinner on a holiday weekend, but asks us if we will get rid of all signs of Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, before she arrives.  (Pretty sure I won't take down my Christmas tree on December 26th for her."
       If these people cannot be around other people who have different beliefs, than IMO, their faith is not that strong. If someone does not wear modest clothing, and they refuse to associate with them (see Duggars) I don't see how that makes them better Christians.  And Christians refers to people following Christ.  Wasn't Christ the leader in loving EVERYONE?   I don't know how they can call themselves Christians when they are nothing like they leader of their religion.
    PREACH!!! I 100% agree with you. 

I wish I could tell you to move to Michigan but we're not any better, unfortunately. :(
    Yeah Michigan just had a story about a peditrition refusing to treat a patient because she had gay moms.

First do no harm...unless homos are involved then let them die.
  • scribe95 said:

The NCAA just put out a statement this afternoon saying it would look at the law in reference to its future decisions. The Final Four is here next weekend. 

And the NCAA's HQ is in Indy.  They could pull out all together.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

I hate everyone.

The entire point of religious freedom is that you're free to be religious, but the limit has ALWAYS been "until your beliefs infringe on someone else's rights." I know how laws like these get passed (because people are horrible and dumb) but it scares me when they make it through the courts.

What if I said it was my deeply held religious belief to murder anyone who has blonde hair? I mean, if they want to live they could just dye it brown. IT'S A CHOICE.
    There was an interesting court case last year where a Middle Eastern family (who lives in the US) murdered their teenage daughter. It was an Honor Killing, which is totally cool where they come from. But it happened in the US, not where they come from. Spoiler alert, they were prosecuted for murder. 

ETA: forgot this part. They were fighting it on the grounds of religious freedom. 
  • I hate everyone.

The entire point of religious freedom is that you're free to be religious, but the limit has ALWAYS been "until your beliefs infringe on someone else's rights." I know how laws like these get passed (because people are horrible and dumb) but it scares me when they make it through the courts.

What if I said it was my deeply held religious belief to murder anyone who has blonde hair? I mean, if they want to live they could just dye it brown. IT'S A CHOICE.
    I want to live
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards