November 2015 Weddings

Becoming stressed because we are not worried about anything...?

I've heard so many stories about 'bridezillas' and couples fighting from the stress of planning a wedding, that I'm starting to feel stressed out because we ARE NOT arguing about anything or worried about anything. Is that weird? We are planning a wedding for 200 people, and have all major things (ceremony site, reception site, DJ, photographers, flowers) booked, except for a cake. We even have hotel rooms blocked. I keep feeling like we are doing something wrong or forgetting something because everything has gone extremely well 

Re: Becoming stressed because we are not worried about anything...?

• arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015

I've heard so many stories about 'bridezillas' and couples fighting from the stress of planning a wedding, that I'm starting to feel stressed out because we ARE NOT arguing about anything or worried about anything. Is that weird? We are planning a wedding for 200 people, and have all major things (ceremony site, reception site, DJ, photographers, flowers) booked, except for a cake. We even have hotel rooms blocked. I keep feeling like we are doing something wrong or forgetting something because everything has gone extremely well 

Getting stressed out because you're NOT stressed out in a situation where most people DO get stressed out seems silly, doesn't it?

Seriously, though, you hear a lot about couples fighting and becoming so stressed out in their wedding planning. Getting stressed out is okay. But not being stressed out is definitely okay, too. Not fighting? Even better, as long as you and your FI are on top of the things that are important. Which sounds like you are. If you're anxious about missing something, you can always download a wedding checklist to make sure you aren't missing anything.

The biggest thing people stress and fight about in the wedding planning process is money. Followed by the guest list. As long as you two have had your conversations about these two things, you should be just fine.

FI and I have had our stressed out moments in regards to $$$ in planning our wedding. But we never fought. And we haven't gotten so stressed that we've had nervous breakdowns like so many of my other friends have had in their recent wedding planning. Wedding planning can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be. It is what you make of it and how you handle things. Some people are much better at it than others, so don't let others' opinions on how stressful wedding planning *should* be sway you into thinking you're doing something wrong. A friend of mine who got married last fall is having a hard time believing that I'm not as stressed out as she was during her planning.

Not entirely related but somewhat similar: FI and I never fight. We never yell at each other, never insult each other, never slam doors, etc. We've had a couple of serious talks in our years together. but we never fight, because neither of us want to fight and we know how to communicate effectively with one another. A lot of my friends and family members think there is something wrong with us. "How do you know you will be able to handle the bad times if you never fight?" they always ask. "Fighting is a sign of a healthy relationship because you are able to make it through!" they ensure. I beg to differ. We've had our disagreements and hard times, but they never warranted a 'fight.' We don't need to fight.

Edit: spelling/words
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• OMG you aren't doing anything wrong! Sounds like you are doing everything RIGHT! We haven't fought over much at all either and I didn't get why this process has been so easy, but I know a lot of couples who have a lot less time to plan the wedding.  I started planning 14 months out and I feel great!  I am a little bit obsessed with the wedding planning and that has actually been the cause of stress because I really don't have much to worry about.  So FH decided that he would give me 2 tasks to work on at a time.  When I complete both tasks, he will figure out two more things to give me to work on, and so on.  So now I'm booking an excursion for our honeymoon and getting the contract signed for renting the conference room at our hotel for the after party.  Really helps to break it down like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards