Chit Chat

Lingerie for the shower? Is this a thing?

2»

Re: Lingerie for the shower? Is this a thing?

• FSIL's friends threw her a lingerie shower. I did not attend, but her mom was invited/attended. I think she kind of missed the point, because apparently she went to VS and thought all of that stuff was ridiculous and just got her a comfy pair of flannel PJ bottoms. I kind of wish I had gone just to see the look on FMIL's face when FSIL was opening her gifts...

I've never seen lingerie as a gift at a regular shower. I've only ever seen it as a lingerie shower gift, or a bachelorette party gift.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't handle opening not-embarrassing gifts well. I get all blushy and weird. 

I cannot even a little bit imagine opening lingerie with my mom and FMIL in the room. I'd be absolutely mortified.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • amelisha said:

Not gonna lie, if someone wants to spring for some Agent Provocateur for me I won't care who does it. I wish I could justify expensive lingerie, I love it.

All that trousseau stuff was fascinating. I knew a little about it from too much Anne of Green Gables in my childhood but they definitely don't get into the nightwear part of it, haha. 
    OMG YES Anne of Green Gables!

• I don't handle opening not-embarrassing gifts well. I get all blushy and weird. 

I cannot even a little bit imagine opening lingerie with my mom and FMIL in the room. I'd be absolutely mortified.
    And the dads! Don't forget, the dads were there too! lol. 

I'm sure my face was neon-red the whole time. 
  • I had a serious case of the Mondays and thought you were going to tell us a story about shower lingerie... like lingerie you wear in the shower and I got really confused.
  • I agree that it's a generational thing, as all the lingerie I've seen given at showers was more like satiny nightgown things.  And always from Moms and Grandmas.  

My Mom got me a cute set of 2 lacy thongs, one white that said Bride in rhinestones and the other black that said Mrs.  She gave them to me alone though and I wore those on the wedding day/the day after.  

My dad would SHOOT FI if I opened lingerie in front of him. Like, I do not think I'm even a little kidding. JFC. That is the MOST piss-poor idea. Like. Terrible. No. No.
  • I am half expecting this from someone in the family for my shower and I will be mortified if it happens. I too think its a generational thing. But holy shit will that be awkward!!!

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

larrygaga said:

My mom got it into her head that she wanted to buy me blue underwear for my "something blue". I popped into a store with her that sells sexy, but really uncomfortable, underwear just to appease her. 

As soon as we got out of the store I reminded her that I've been buying my own underwear for the last 20 years and I can handle it on my own. I even had to lay the law down that I don't want her buying lingerie for me as a surprise either. 

FFS, I'm not going to wear a $50 lacy blue thong that's going to be stuck up my butt all day because someone else thinks it's sexy. I'd rather go commando than try to pick out a wedgie in a wedding dress. 
    DUDE my mom tried to force me into something like that as well!

I was like bitch I'm wearing nude spanx with a hole in the crotch for peeing. Frilly stuff is for the honeymoon when its only on for 20 seconds
    Any recommendations for brands of shapewear that features a pee-hole? I spent at least a half hour looking at shapewear crotches at the local department store and started to feel pervy.

Seriously. I cut a hole in mine. 

EDIT: I will tell more because I feel like this knowledge will help a lot of brides pee alone on their wedding day. I've practiced, not with my dress on but with the undergarment set up.

I'm wearing my spanx pulled up over a corset under a rather form fitting dress. I am wearing spanx boy shorts because they don't give me the lines that the brief ones do. I cut a slit in the crotch part, and I would have sewed each end so it wouldn't rip but luckily mine has seams that stop the slit from widening. 

Let me get a little nasty. My labia sort of hangs out of it because the crotch to the spanx is super tight. I'm sure these would cause a yeast infection if you wore them a lot. It chafed immediately, so I put a nude thong on underneath to protect my lady bits. All I have to do day of is hike up the skirt around my waist and spread the slit and pull my thong to the side. I also sat on the toilet with my legs as far apart as they will go, so to decrease the risk of getting pee on my spanx. Worked like a freakin' charm, I look smoothed out and I am comfortable.

At the end of the night, I can secretly take my ugly spanx off and have something pretty underneath for my new husband!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

My dad would SHOOT FI if I opened lingerie in front of him. Like, I do not think I'm even a little kidding. JFC. That is the MOST piss-poor idea. Like. Terrible. No. No.
    Your dad should probably shoot the person giving the lingerie.....

Right?

Or he could get over it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh god that's awkward. My mom is waaay too awkward about my sex life for that, thank god.

FSMIL invited me to a 'passion party' with her daughters once. I thought about going so I could say,"I'm buying this for when I fuck your step-son!"
  • larrygaga said:

larrygaga said:
    Any recommendations for brands of shapewear that features a pee-hole? I spent at least a half hour looking at shapewear crotches at the local department store and started to feel pervy.

Seriously. I cut a hole in mine. 

SIAB

Hmmm....I might bust out the sewing machine and get super fancy and make a flap.

Thanks for the advice! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygaga said:

I don't handle opening not-embarrassing gifts well. I get all blushy and weird. 

Your dad should probably shoot the person giving the lingerie.....

Right?

Or he could get over it.
    You know how there are threads where logic doesn't work? 

Dad and "his little girls" (UGH) having sex is like ALLLLLLLLL those threads, bundled into one very angry-looking person. Like. He knows good'n'damn well that we're doing it. But evidence of its happening should never be presented to him. I am 10000000% sure that all grandchildren will be immaculately conceived, as far as he's concerned.

My solution is to decline any showers! :D No point anyway, we're only really inviting 31 people, so it'd be silly to have one, so the no-lingerie thing is just a side perk. :)
  • I had a serious case of the Mondays and thought you were going to tell us a story about shower lingerie... like lingerie you wear in the shower and I got really confused.

I'm glad it wasn't just me...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards