Chit Chat

Make-up question for redheaded and/or fair-skinned brides

Do you mind sharing your make-up look for your wedding?

My sister has offered to do my make-up for me and I was hoping she and I could go shopping together to buy it, but it looks like we won't have time now.  She and her family are flying in the day before my wedding and I'm sure the last thing they want to do on their first day in Hawaii is go make-up shopping.

I have tried going to Macy's and Sephora for guidance in the past, but haven't been too happy with the advice I've received.  I thought maybe if I go in with a picture showing exactly what I wanted there would be less room for error.  The problem is I can't seem to find any looks I like.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  

Thanks in advance!

Re: Make-up question for redheaded and/or fair-skinned brides

• Well I'm a fair haired redhead but I'm not married just yet. I will be wearing a bronze eyeshadow and a rose colored lipstick. The key is to go by your skin tone.

http://www.popsugar.com/beauty/Warm-Cool-Undertones-Quiz-1843402

I always recommend staying more of a natural glowing makeup on your wedding day. You want to look like you.

My best suggestion is to look up pictures of makeup specifically on redheads and play with color at the sample station.

I use the original naked palate and all the colors look awesome on me. I'm tricky as well, I'm very warm tones but I have grey eyes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sure!

Mine is greyish dark brown eye shadow, and a coral lip.

image   image   image

• Not a redhead but I'm very light skinned.
  • @Sugargirl1019 and @climbingwife, I love both of your looks. Thanks for sharing! It helps give me a better idea of what I want.
  • I need this thread too! I plan on doing my own make-up, but I don't tend to wear much on a day-to-day basis so I've been doing a lot of trial-and-error at home. I also find the make-up consultants at Sephora, department stores, etc., to be of very limited utility. Surprising considering that redheads are a dime a dozen up here in the northeast.

I find coral to be a very flattering color for me and I use it for blush & lipstick. Eyes will probably be a smoky brown, similar to Sugargirl's. I have also had good luck finding red-tinted eyebrow pencil and mascara (I hate the way I look in black mascara). If you're interested in brands I could go find them for you.

I find foundation very tricky with freckles, because something too heavy just ends up looking like plaster and I find I look best wearing a very light layer that allows the freckles to shine through. Anyone have brand recommendations that would fit this need?

• 4forluck said:

@Sugargirl1019 and @climbingwife, I love both of your looks. Thanks for sharing! It helps give me a better idea of what I want.

Oh ok
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I did a bronze-y/rose eye shadow, medium brown eyeliner, light pink blush and a neutral rose lipstick. It was very similar to my everyday makeup look but "heavier."

You can kind of see it here:

• not fair skin or redhead but I'm confused on makeup too!  I mentioned on the Friday thread but can someone speak from experience on the difference between regular makeup and airbrush? Originally I wasn't planning on paying for makeup application but now I think it will just be better to have it professionally done
  • kvruns said:

not fair skin or redhead but I'm confused on makeup too!  I mentioned on the Friday thread but can someone speak from experience on the difference between regular makeup and airbrush? Originally I wasn't planning on paying for makeup application but now I think it will just be better to have it professionally done

I did my own makeup. I used regular makeup I use for every day wear. Revlon Color Stay foundation, ELF clarifying powder, Milani XL bronzer, Clinique blush, NYX eye shadow, Covergirl eyeliner, Younique Fiberlashes for mascara, NYX matte shadow to shade in my eyebrows, and Rimmel lipstick and glass. I was very happy with my makeup the day of our wedding.

I had airbrush makeup done for SIL's wedding in October and I hated it. It felt wet and oily to me and did not look that great.

• I'm incredibly pale and naturally blonde, first of all. 
    I'm surprised the professionals weren't much help. I wear very little makeup daily (under-eye concealer, eyeliner, and mascara is it). When I've had my makeup professionally done it looks overdone. However:
    -- I bought the blush and eyeshadow kit a pro used on me. I had no idea my very pale skin actually had warm tones, and had always been using cool-toned makeup. The blush looks like hot-pink barbie blush in the container and I would have never chosen it on my own, but in fact, it's perfect for me. 
    So on the wedding day, I used a mousse foundation, the blush, and shades of taupe of my eyes. I used a black eyeliner and smudged it with navy on the top lid (brought out my blue eyes). I lined the bottom lashes with a taupe-ish color. I used the same liner to fill in my brows. 

I felt like I used a lot of makeup and besides my eyes, I still looked pale. 

Advice: Try a professional just one more time, and then take photos in different lights. What you see in the mirror can look so different in photos. At least the colors they use on you for a natural, elegant look could help you. 

• I'm a fair skinned redhead!

I'm doing my own makeup because I've never had success with other people knowing what works for me. 

I always use the fairest shade of Clinique foundation because my skin is sensitive and I find it is the gentlest on my face.

Im doing a greyish brown eye and a berry lip.
  • Thanks for all of the great advice everyone!  

@larrygaga I took the quiz you suggested and according to it, I'm also warm toned, which makes sense since I think I tend to look better in browns and golds.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards