Chit Chat
Options

TK foodies: Have you heard of cooking salmon in the dishwasher?

I was reading an article on kitchyn.com and they were talking about how you can cook your salmon in the dishwasher and wash your dishes too...  This was the oddest thing I have ever heard in regard to unusual cooking methods.

Have any of you heard of this or actually tried it?  What unusual cooking methods do you guys use?

I'm not sure I have any really...  but I like to cook so I'm curious.

Re: TK foodies: Have you heard of cooking salmon in the dishwasher?

• Options
    I've heard of people doing this, but it seems weird and icky to me.  I would never do it.  
  • Options
    That sounds like the grossest thing ever, but I am intruiged. Like, HOW EVEN?
  • Options

I was reading an article on kitchyn.com and they were talking about how you can cook your salmon in the dishwasher and wash your dishes too...  This was the oddest thing I have ever heard in regard to unusual cooking methods.

Have any of you heard of this or actually tried it?  What unusual cooking methods do you guys use?

I'm not sure I have any really...  but I like to cook so I'm curious.

The last time I heard of anyone cooking food in the dishwasher while simultaneously cleaning their dishes it was on an episode of Extreme Cheapskates.  So seeing as I think most of those people on that show are crazy (and sometimes down right disgusting), no I would not be cooking anything in my dishwasher, dirty dishes or not.

• Options
    sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

I have heard of this but I would never EVER do it. I think if I remember correctly you are supposed to put the salmon in a container and then do your dishes like normal. What if water and soap get into the container? What if salmon gets all over your dishes? That's just gross.

ETA: Now I see your new post. FOIL!!!! There is no way that would be sanitary! Yuck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I know I think so too!  They season it and wrap it in aluminum foil tightly and then stick it on the top rack.  Apply detergent as usual and let that baby rip... just no heated dry.

• Options
    Whaaaaaaat? What about the soap? What about all the dirty gross food bits flying around in there? Don't they got on the salmon? I'm baffled. This seems super gross but I want to know more. But I don't want to try it lol 
  • Options

All I can think of is how gross my dishes would be after the next cleaning. I don't care how many times you run the dishwasher, some smells won't leave.

• Options
    I understand how it would work, but I have a perfectly good stove, oven, grill, etc., that could all be used to cook salmon, so I don't really see why. Plus I like my salmon pretty rare so I prefer to have more control over the cooking time and temperature than a method like that would allow.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    umm, no.

Cooking salmon isn't too hard and takes less time then my dishwasher takes. Not sure why I would try.   Takes less energy and water too.

I didn't find this odd, but my mom is completely impressed that DH cooks ribs wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil then put on the grill.  She is convienced the plastic wrap should melt onto the ribs.  It doesn't and they are amazing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    H makes venison in a cooler with hot water. The recipe he found calls it a redneck sous vide. I assume the idea is similar to the dishwasher thing. We vacuum pack the meat (so no water can get in) and leave it in the cooler for a few hours until it's cooked and then sear it in a pan really quick to get a crust on the edges. Sous vide keeps meat and fish super moist. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

umm, no.

Cooking salmon isn't too hard and takes less time then my dishwasher takes. Not sure why I would try.   Takes less energy and water too.

I didn't find this odd, but my mom is completely impressed that DH cooks ribs wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil then put on the grill.  She is convienced the plastic wrap should melt onto the ribs.  It doesn't and they are amazing.

Hmm. I've never tried it with plastic wrap!  I might have to give that a try.

• Options

H makes venison in a cooler with hot water. The recipe he found calls it a redneck sous vide. I assume the idea is similar to the dishwasher thing. We vacuum pack the meat (so no water can get in) and leave it in the cooler for a few hours until it's cooked and then sear it in a pan really quick to get a crust on the edges. Sous vide keeps meat and fish super moist. 

Yes the article said it was very much like a sous vide!  I still wouldn't try it in dishwasher.  The cooler I get, I even brine in a cooler if it can't fit it in my fridge. 

• Options

Yes the article said it was very much like a sous vide!  I still wouldn't try it in dishwasher.  The cooler I get, I even brine in a cooler if it can't fit it in my fridge. 
    Yeah I agree. It doesn't make sense - there's no way to determine if the dishwasher cycle is identical to the amount of time the salmon cooks. So it's probably either over or under cooked, negating the whole point. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    What is so difficult about cooking salmon the old fashion way?  You know, on the stove or in the oven?  Why the dishwasher?  It would be like throwing it into the washing machine with your dirty underwear.  No, just no.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

umm, no.

FI is convinced that heating plastic wrap gives you cancer, because that's what his parents keep telling him. When I microwave something covered in plastic wrap, he makes a face and says, "Don't eat that now." I actually had to google it just to show him that it's microwave safe. And besides, EVERYTHING gives you cancer these days. So fuck it. 
  • Options
    WTF?  This sounds so disgusting to me. 

@lyndausvi , I am intrigued about the ribs.  How does he do it?  I would have thought the plastic wrap would melt too. 

• Options
    That just sounds gross. I'll continue to cook my salmon on cedar plank on the grill. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    levioosa said:

WTF?  This sounds so disgusting to me. 

@lyndausvi , I am intrigued about the ribs.  How does he do it?  I would have thought the plastic wrap would melt too. 

He wraps the ribs in plastic wrap (not supper tight).   Then wraps it in aluminium foil.  Then puts them on low heat on the grill.     The plastic acts like a steamer.   It doesn't melt.     They turn out amazing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    See..... if I were able to buy a salmon fillet just to waste, I would TOTALLY try that.

No way I'd eat it. But I'd TRY it. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

The only difference is that the cooler is probably clean and you don't wash dirty dishes in the hot water while the venison is doing its thing ;)

But I have seen the whole vacuum pack and slowly cook in hot water thing on the Food Network and on Top Chef a few times.  Almost always when you cook meat slow and low it stays super duper moist.

• Options
    I've heard of it, but it's not something I'd ever do. I cook my salmon in the oven and I plan to keep doing it that way. 
  • Options

lyndausvi said:

umm, no.

FI is convinced that heating plastic wrap gives you cancer, because that's what his parents keep telling him. When I microwave something covered in plastic wrap, he makes a face and says, "Don't eat that now." I actually had to google it just to show him that it's microwave safe. And besides, EVERYTHING gives you cancer these days. So fuck it. 
    I find plastic in the microwave gross.  

Then again, outside of cooking bacon, heating up soup or water and popcorn I don't use the microwave.   I could totally live without one.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

umm, no.

Then again, outside of cooking bacon, heating up soup or water and popcorn I don't use the microwave.   I could totally live without one.
    We usually do leftovers for lunch. I'd rather heat up a bowl of pasta with plastic wrap covering the top of the bowl than spend time later scrubbing exploded pasta sauce out of the microwave. 

ETF clarity 
  • Options
    I cooked salmon in the oven last night and it turned out just fine.

@lyndausvi- I don't use a microwave either. My MIL was horrified to find out this fact. We just bought one, but only because there was a designated spot for it in our kitchen and it looked empty and lonely without one.
  • Options

lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

umm, no.

We usually do leftovers for lunch. I'd rather heat up a bowl of pasta with plastic wrap covering the top of the bowl than spend time later scrubbing exploded pasta sauce out of the microwave. 

ETF clarity 
    I put a paper towel over it.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

umm, no.

ETF clarity 
    I put a paper towel over it.
    Yep. Me too. Or a paper plate.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    I use our microwave to heat up leftovers and to warm up our pups wet dog food.  But that's about it.

ETA:  And most of the time our leftovers are in microwaveable containers so no plastic wrap is needed.  But I don't think using plastic wrap in the microwave every now and then is really going to do that much damage.

• Options
    As far as the microwave goes, I never never never heat up anything plastic. If I need to cover something, I'll use a paper plate or paper towel. but everything is heated up in bowls or on plates. 
  • Options

As far as the microwave goes, I never never never heat up anything plastic. If I need to cover something, I'll use a paper plate or paper towel. but everything is heated up in bowls or on plates. 

I don't think plastic in the microwave is bad per se,  I just don't like it for some reason.  More like a weird quirk I guess.  I find plastic (wrap or bowls) out of the microwave gross.  I can't explain it.  If I'm heating something up it's always in/on glass with a paper towel.

Although, I do not like foods reheated in the microwave at all.  I reheat things in my toaster oven.  I prefer the taste better.

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I heard of this a year or two ago & find the idea incredibly silly. If I want salmon I will grill or bake it. 

Even if I did want to cook my salmon in the dishwasher, I absolutely would not do so while washing dishes, which means I'd be running an empty dishwasher cycle, which would be super wasteful. No bueno. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards