Chit Chat

FB Rant

13»

Re: FB Rant

• We waited about a month to put our engagement on FB. It was the first relationship status I ever posted there. I just don't like finding important info out about people online. I wanted to tell everyone I really cared about in person. The random HS friends can find out later.

My friend live-instagrammed/facebooked her engagement. I was like - um, wtf? It takes the fun out of sharing it with people.
  • Times like my engagement where I was SUPER thankful for my sorority. FI proposed in college on Spring Break at Disney World, and my sorority has a ritual for letting them know, so it had to stay a secret (except for our families) for about a week. So we called them on the ride back to the condo we'd rented and let our families know by calling them and swearing them to FB secrecy. But I LOVED telling everyone in person (and then updating my relationship status later.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I waited three days before making an engagement announcement on FB. I made sure everyone close to me knew through phone call, text, in person if I could. Actually the people I got to surprise in person with the news was the best part I think about being freshly engaged. It's what I imagine telling loved ones that you're pregnant. Everyone's all excited and happy.

It's kind of sweet to me that if you're in the circle of family or friends who receives an engagement or baby announcement before it hits FB, you know you mean a lot to that person!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was just talking to H about this the other day. I said how I feel bad for kids nowadays because of their parents using FB. I am so glad I don't have naked baby pictures or potty training pictures or who knows what else psoted 25+ years ago out on the internet!

Anniversary
  • littlepeplittlepep member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

littlepep said:

hicoco said:

We had been engaged about an hour when I saw FI about to make a Facebook post..I said no, don't do that yet, I want to tell people myself. He said other people had already posted it!! (He had close friends and family there when he did it). I was so pissed. The person who posted it isn't even one of our closer friends, but his sister is and for some reason she brought him. I was livid so I then had to mad rush to text people.

That's fucking rude. I remember a lady I was in grad school with had an adult son who got engaged, and she found out via facebook! Her son's new FI posted something about it before her son even had the chance to tell her. She was telling me this with tears in her eyes and I felt awful for her. 
    I was engaged once before FI (so young...so stupid) and I was so excited and I told him I wanted to go tell my mom right then. When we got there, she was super pissed and I didn't know why. Turns out shitbag has posted it on FB the second after it happened. I didn't even get a chance to tell my parents!! Can you say livid??!!
    Fi and I never posted about our engagement. I don't even think our relationship statuses have changed from single, hahaha.

I was on the phone with my mom right after it happened when FI showed me his phone - his mom had taken the shitty cell-phone pic he's sent her of the ring on my hand and put it on Facebook. And a few of my friends had liked it.

I hung up with my mom pretty quickly and started calling the must-tells. It kind of pissed me off that people I hadn't intended to tell while I was on vacation, I had to call.
    Unfortunately I just told people, were still calling people so don't post anything to just be safe. Annoying we had to do it but whatever.
    I said the same thing. My mom is the worst offender. She was good though and didn't put anything until I did. My husband isn't on facebook.

My uncle put that my great grandmother died on facebook. Luckily, my mom called me before I saw the post, but it was posted before I knew.
    My dad is the worst. He wants to share everything. 

When our family cat died, my mom wanted to wait until after work to tell me because she knew I'd be upset. Well my sister posted on FB so my mom had to call me at work because she didn't want me to find out on FB. 

I just really don't get why people feel the need to share everything on the internet. I didn't even make a post about being engaged. I just changed my relationship status. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI's "groomswoman" -- who is a really awesome, wonderful person and I adore her-- just posted a status on facebook and tagged FI and I. It said something like "Can't wait to celebrate this weekend with lifelong friends and witness the love and marriage of [FI and Novella]" Very sweet of her, but... ugh. 

Some rando commented on it and said, "I didn't get invited to celebrate with my lifelong friends :(

I know of this rando. FI has talked about her before. She's friends with some of his friends, but he has never been friends with her and hardly knows her, and she's kind of a total mess. Is a bit too public about her airing her dirty laundry and whatnot. And she thinks it's appropriate to publicly announce that she wasn't invited and lament about it like FI is supposed to feel bad or something? But in her defense, this is exactly why wedding crap is better off being left off of facebook. Just bleh. That's how I feel about it. Bleh. 
  • FI's "groomswoman" -- who is a really awesome, wonderful person and I adore her-- just posted a status on facebook and tagged FI and I. It said something like "Can't wait to celebrate this weekend with lifelong friends and witness the love and marriage of [FI and Novella]" Very sweet of her, but... ugh. 

Some rando commented on it and said, "I didn't get invited to celebrate with my lifelong friends :(

I know of this rando. FI has talked about her before. She's friends with some of his friends, but he has never been friends with her and hardly knows her, and she's kind of a total mess. Is a bit too public about her airing her dirty laundry and whatnot. And she thinks it's appropriate to publicly announce that she wasn't invited and lament about it like FI is supposed to feel bad or something? But in her defense, this is exactly why wedding crap is better off being left off of facebook. Just bleh. That's how I feel about it. Bleh. 
    UGH seriously. People of the world: MAKE GOOD FACEBOOK CHOICES. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Times like my engagement where I was SUPER thankful for my sorority. FI proposed in college on Spring Break at Disney World, and my sorority has a ritual for letting them know, so it had to stay a secret (except for our families) for about a week. So we called them on the ride back to the condo we'd rented and let our families know by calling them and swearing them to FB secrecy. But I LOVED telling everyone in person (and then updating my relationship status later.)

Uhhhh what? I feel like I need to know more about this sorority ritual that dictates how you announce your engagement.

Ugh. A girl I went to school with posted last wk asking for anyone who didn't RSVP to comment and let her know if they were coming. Someone commented saying, "What? I didn't know it was this wknd. I didn't even get an invitation" The bride just said, "oh sorry! It's at __ at __pm if you want to come" 

Talk about awkward. 1) Don't post about RSVPs on FB. 2) if someone else does, and you didn't get an invite, don't point it out. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • peachy13 said:

FI and I waited three days before making an engagement announcement on FB. I made sure everyone close to me knew through phone call, text, in person if I could. Actually the people I got to surprise in person with the news was the best part I think about being freshly engaged. It's what I imagine telling loved ones that you're pregnant. Everyone's all excited and happy.

It's kind of sweet to me that if you're in the circle of family or friends who receives an engagement or baby announcement before it hits FB, you know you mean a lot to that person!
    Sigh. We tried to do this. We did. But apparently if you're going to try to do this you also need to tell all your (my) family/friends that you are planning to hold off on FB. We got engaged and were waiting to post to FB until I had at least called my family and my closest friends. Then the next day my cousin heard through the grapevine (cool, I love her, no problem) and posted something to FB congratulating us (argh!). Luckily we had already gotten ahold of all the VIPs, so we just quickly updated the Facebook and went with it. But if we hadn't had a chance to tell people, I would have been really peeved. But looking back I'm still annoyed I didn't get a chance to do it on my own terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards