Chit Chat
Options

Expecting to Expect... Head spinning

124»

Re: Expecting to Expect... Head spinning

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

Wow those gifs were fantastic! Except that nasty condom one....I just have no idea why anyone would ever do that!

@laker2014 It's just an app. I plug my temp in each morning and that's it! It "guessed" based on my period that my ovulation would be the 10th of last month but then based on my temps it didn't actually happen until the 17th. And it looks like it's heading in that same pattern this month, so that is really helpful to know!

Yeah, I have had this too- it gives you estimated weeks based strictly on what is considered regular. But my body never hits those marks. And I am very regular, just....differently regular.
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I am really surprised the condom didn't get stuck. Can you imagine that ER visit? That might be worse than the various things that get pulled out of people's butts.
  • Options
    FiancB said:

I am really surprised the condom didn't get stuck. Can you imagine that ER visit? That might be worse than the various things that get pulled out of people's butts.

We have a family friend who has been an ER nurse for a million years. Once we turned 18 she sat us down, we got drunk, and she regaled us with tales of things pulled from people's butts (and other places) on her watch. It was hilarious.
  • Options
    I  know this has been asked before but what type of themometer do y'all use? Does it have to be a "special" thermometer? Especially since I found out last time you don't stick it in your vag.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

I  know this has been asked before but what type of themometer do y'all use? Does it have to be a "special" thermometer? Especially since I found out last time you don't stick it in your vag.

Lol, I still cant stop imagining it this way.
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    Just a basal body thermometer. It should go to the 100th decimal and not just the 10th like most do. There's one on amazon for $8. There's some that are crazy expensive, but I like this one just fine. It saves the last two temps so that you don't have to immediately get out of bed and record. 
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    FiancB said:

I take back my previous comment about being cool with the bump. I just got a warning over there, lol. If you're bored and want to see a shitshow of a thread: Teen wants TTCers to verify she's not pregnant

A poster just like this (only younger) was how I got banned from the Bump
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT GUYS.

SAVE THE FROGS. SAAAAAAVE THE MOTHERFUCKING FROGS. 

(I'm going back to lurking now. But fuck me if that wasn't the scariest thing I have seen in a LONG time. Including the creepy frosting one and the condom-sinuses girl.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    FiancB said:

Just a basal body thermometer. It should go to the 100th decimal and not just the 10th like most do. There's one on amazon for $8. There's some that are crazy expensive, but I like this one just fine. It saves the last two temps so that you don't have to immediately get out of bed and record. 

Mine only goes to the tenth of a degree. Also $8 on Amazon though, worked out just fine. :)

• Options

FiancB said:

Mine only goes to the tenth of a degree. Also $8 on Amazon though, worked out just fine. :)
    Me too. Mine is just a normal CVS digital one that we got years ago for the flu.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

@emmaaa  You *can* temp vaginally if you want.  I don't but people who are mouth breathers or have really rocky temps will sometimes switch from oral to vaginal temping to even out the "spikes" in the temps.  I would obviously label the hell out of that thermometer...  lol

Most BBT thermometers should measure two decimal places to help catch patterns.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:

@emmaaa  You *can* temp vaginally if you want.  I don't but people who are mouth breathers or have really rocky temps will sometimes switch from oral to vaginal temping to even out the "spikes" in the temps.  I would obviously label the hell out of that thermometer...  lol

The thing is though, the patterns are generally so much bigger than that, you don't need that many places. You want a shift of at least 0.4 F to show ovulation...variations in the hundredths don't tell you anything, and can make you obsess over tiny changes. Most charts don't even track in the hundredths, only the tenths. 

• Options

OK, I just read that entire Bump thread.  And I think the bumpies have the knotties beat on the gif front.  

I have been sitting here laughing at my new favorite gif for five minutes now. It's the best thing ever!

I'm part way through, but this is my fav so far:
  • Options
    I read this today, and thought all of your excited for baby-making would enjoy it:

http://www.likesgag.com/48119?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=Rana&utm_campaign=Rana2

Y'all have fun with that.
  • Options

AprilH81 said:

The thing is though, the patterns are generally so much bigger than that, you don't need that many places. You want a shift of at least 0.4 F to show ovulation...variations in the hundredths don't tell you anything, and can make you obsess over tiny changes. Most charts don't even track in the hundredths, only the tenths. 

Thanks y'all! 

DH and I want to start TTC next January (which the more I think about it, the sooner it actually is) and I want to start charting now. I went ahead and ordered the thermometer @sarahufl suggested. I don't take the pill and DH and I rely on condoms for BC. Always have because I don't like HBC. I figure it could be very beneficial to my stress level of worrying if I'm pregnant or not every month because we all know condoms aren't 100% effective plus I can know more what's going on with my body. 

• Options

@hellohkb are you trying paper charts or Fertility Friend? FF really takes all the work out of it.

I'll check out Fertility Friend. Right now I'm not using any of the apps but I'll look into it.

@emmaaa I THOUGHT YOU (general you) STUCK A THERMOMETER UP YOUR VAG. So that's a no go? I guess I really do have to read up on this stuff before I embarrass myself again (about my lack of knowledge- I have not attempted to stick a thermometer up my vag, FYI)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

@hellohkb are you trying paper charts or Fertility Friend? FF really takes all the work out of it.

I'll check out Fertility Friend. Right now I'm not using any of the apps but I'll look into it.

@emmaaa I THOUGHT YOU (general you) STUCK A THERMOMETER UP YOUR VAG. So that's a no go? I guess I really do have to read up on this stuff before I embarrass myself again (about my lack of knowledge- I have not attempted to stick a thermometer up my vag, FYI)
    LOL don't worry, I thought the same thing. It's an option, along with rectally... but it's one I chose not to employ. :) 

FF was super duper easy. For the one month I used it. ;) Wake up, grab thermometer off bedside table, stick in mouth, go back to sleep til it beeps. Toss it on the floor, go back to sleep. Finally get up for real, see what the saved temp says, put it in the phone. 

• Options
    emmaaa said:

AprilH81 said:

Thanks y'all! 

DH and I want to start TTC next January (which the more I think about it, the sooner it actually is) and I want to start charting now. I went ahead and ordered the thermometer @sarahufl suggested. I don't take the pill and DH and I rely on condoms for BC. Always have because I don't like HBC. I figure it could be very beneficial to my stress level of worrying if I'm pregnant or not every month because we all know condoms aren't 100% effective plus I can know more what's going on with my body. 

I haven't been on HBC in about 10 years because I just don't like it (and my family has a history of blood disorders) We started charting/temping in July, with the intention of TTC in January. It was actually really nice to know how everything worked and what I could expect my body to do. It was also nice because we wouldn't even use condoms a lot of the time because I knew when we were clear to not use them. Which is always a perk :) . My OB also suggested I take folic acid at the same time in case anything slipped by, which it didn't, but it is good to prepare.
  • Options

LOL don't worry, I thought the same thing. It's an option, along with rectally... but it's one I chose not to employ. :) 

FF was super duper easy. For the one month I used it. ;) Wake up, grab thermometer off bedside table, stick in mouth, go back to sleep til it beeps. Toss it on the floor, go back to sleep. Finally get up for real, see what the saved temp says, put it in the phone. 

Is there a particular time that I need to temp? Or just right when I wake up?

• Options
    emmaaa said:

As soon as you wake up, after at least 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Your temp will rise the longer you've been awake and skew your results. So if you wake up 2 hours before your alarm because you have to pee, take it then rather than later.

I also found that it was higher when I slept in on the weekends, so I'd set an alarm to take it at like 7:30 and then go back to sleep.

• Options

emmaaa said:

As soon as you wake up, after at least 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Your temp will rise the longer you've been awake and skew your results. So if you wake up 2 hours before your alarm because you have to pee, take it then rather than later.

I also found that it was higher when I slept in on the weekends, so I'd set an alarm to take it at like 7:30 and then go back to sleep.
    Mine also gives inconsistent results if I don't do it at the same time- so you should wake up at the same time every day.
  • Options
    Interesting... Thanks Lolo!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    I also assumed it was vag when I first read about it. I still kind of thought I'd need to do it that way because I tend to be a mouth breather, but so far so good. I just make sure I get it jammed against my tongue. 
  • Options
    As someone posted, you can take your temperature vaginally.  You can also do it rectally, in the mouth and probably even under the ol' armpit (although I expect the armpit is probably not as consistent as the mouth) or in the ear.

The key, according to "Taking Charge," is consistency.  You can't do it in your mouth one day and your vagina the next or you'll think you're ovulating because your temps will be different. The fluctuations from when you're ovulating to when you're not is only about a degree or so, so consistency is super important.
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member

I read this today, and thought all of your excited for baby-making would enjoy it:

http://www.likesgag.com/48119?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=Rana&utm_campaign=Rana2

Y'all have fun with that.

I'm laughing my head off at

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards