Wedding Etiquette Forum

Separate gift for potluck wedding?

Hi everyone,
I've never posted here before but I joined a while back to lurk and read posts when I was a bridesmaid in a family member's wedding. I've learned a lot about wedding etiquette (and general hosting etiquette) from these posts, so thanks!

A friend of mine is having a potluck wedding later this summer (I know, I know) and I've committed to bringing a dish. However, I'm feeling a bit lost as to whether to give a separate gift for the wedding or not. They have a cash registry for their house/honeymoon/etc and have stated multiple times, both on their website and in person, that they don't want any physical gifts.

I was planning to make a dish in the largest bowl I own, which would feed about 20-25 people and then put a check in a card for them as a separate gift, but I checked the potluck sign-up recently and it looks like very few people have signed up to bring food. So now I'm thinking I should bring more food than I planned to help out, but I can't really afford to pay for double the food and also a gift.

I know gifts are never expected, and I do consider the potluck dish a gift in itself, but I feel weird showing up without something that the couple can enjoy for themselves after the reception is over. I could put a smaller check in the card, but it would be such a small amount that I would feel cheap. If you were in my place, what would you do?

Re: Separate gift for potluck wedding?

• If it were me and I was close to the friend I'd first try to persuade her to do something different.

THEN, if she was still set on it then I'd bring something easily transported and easily consumed at room (or warm) temp.   So.....bread??

And the container would be my gift or she'd get a card with a small gift card in it.   

But I wouldn't feel all that bad about the lack of gift.   I consider the food to be a gift and my time to make it is a gift as well.    
  • Hell no. The dish is their gift. They'd get nothing else from me, except this printed out inside a card:

OMG THIS
  • ohannabelleohannabelle member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Not to mention, making enough of any dish to feed twenty five people isn't cheap, or easy. 
    It requires a large amount of time and effort. 
    This is enough. They had the balls to ask, and you're being gracious enough to do it. No more is required. 

I don't give money when I'm solicited for money. Ever. It shouldn't be encouraged. If I genuinely care about the person and think they just were never taught any better, I'll send a physical gift.

If I think they know better, don't care, and are just greedy bastards, I send my regrets. Because how dare anybody try to dictate a gift, which is something that should be offered from the giver's heart. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I would be very unhappy to get an invitation to a potluck wedding and would decline it.

But since you are planning to attend, I think one dish is enough.  And you owe no gifts in addition to it.

• Hell no. The dish is their gift. They'd get nothing else from me, except this printed out inside a card:

OMG THIS
    I was shocked when the media reported it was the potato salad - can you imagine being "June who brought the potato salad that killed Betty" for the rest of your life. Not to mention the guilt of killing your friend! Such a sad story all the way around. And the potluck was totally ok etiquette wise!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks for all the replies! You've made me feel a lot better about not giving a separate monetary gift. I do like the suggestion of gifting them the dish my food is in; I'd thought of that before but figured it went against their no-physical-gift policy. But I also really don't want to have to cart a dirty dish back to my hotel, so I think I'll leave the dish for them as a gift anyway.

And @whovianstark is right -- the potluck wedding thing does put guests in an awkward position. Pretty much everyone I know who's going to the wedding has commented on it when I've seen them, though I'm sure no one would want to say it to the couple's face... Most people mainly seem concerned that there won't be enough food for all the guests, though. I'm planning to bring my dish and sit next to my other friend who I know is bringing something. :neutral:
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

Thanks for all the replies! You've made me feel a lot better about not giving a separate monetary gift. I do like the suggestion of gifting them the dish my food is in; I'd thought of that before but figured it went against their no-physical-gift policy. But I also really don't want to have to cart a dirty dish back to my hotel, so I think I'll leave the dish for them as a gift anyway.

And @whovianstark is right -- the potluck wedding thing does put guests in an awkward position. Pretty much everyone I know who's going to the wedding has commented on it when I've seen them, though I'm sure no one would want to say it to the couple's face... Most people mainly seem concerned that there won't be enough food for all the guests, though. I'm planning to bring my dish and sit next to my other friend who I know is bringing something. :neutral:

Umm...You're cooking for THEIR guests. They don't get a say. They are lucky they aren't getting the crockery thrown at them at the end of the night. OPA!

ETA: Grammar is a bitch, and I'm her minion
  • I would decline the fuck out of this wedding, but if you're going, I think your dish is fine as a gift. And don't make more just because you feel bad. It will be their own fault and embarassing for them when they don't have any food. They should be paying for it all anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the replies! You've made me feel a lot better about not giving a separate monetary gift. I do like the suggestion of gifting them the dish my food is in; I'd thought of that before but figured it went against their no-physical-gift policy. But I also really don't want to have to cart a dirty dish back to my hotel, so I think I'll leave the dish for them as a gift anyway.

Gross. I'm sorry you're invited to something like this...

Honestly, I would eat before you go. Sorrynotsorry, but I'm not eating a bunch of food cooked by strangers in kitchens I know nothing about. 

And also, it's very sweet of you to gift the dish, but don't expect a thank you note.....they don't seem the type.
    *********************************************************************************

• afox007 said:

I'm an awful person and would probably stop at McDonald's and pick up 5 of the 20 piece nuggets. 25 bucks throw that shit on a tray they can keep and make a decorative pile of sauces next to it.

Still better than food poisoning.  If I go to a potluck I only eat food brought by people I know and trust or was clearly store bought sorrynotsorry.

OP, I agree if you feel like you want to give something beyond food, give them the dish you bring the food in.  I would not give cash, they have no right to expect it (or any gift) and making a cash registry on top of expecting their guests to host their party is so damn entitled.
  • No separate gift for these people. Nope, nope, nope. It is nice of you to do anything at all.

• I've told this story before, but I went to a potluck wedding (actually PPD, we found out at the ceremony) for my cousin.  It was hours away and I carpooled with family and stayed in a hotel, so figuring out what to bring was a real challenge.  They also requested cash gifts on the invitation.  I was dead broke at the time (oh the fun of grad school) and my budget for a gift was $25, so I took that $25 and several hours of my time and made a large tray of homemade baklava for them (the cost for the three different kinds of nuts, spices, honey, butter, phyllo, etc. took up my full budget).  And then, of course, the bride and groom went through the food line after most of the guests had and all of the baklava was gone, so they had no idea of my gift to them and I looked like the jerk who showed up with no gift.  Unbeknownst to me at the time my mom, knowing my budget issues and how I was spending my gift fund, put my name in the card with the check from her and dad, but only they received a thank you note.  Overall the whole thing sucked and was uncomfortable. 

• I love to cook, but there's no way I'd cook for 20-25 people at someone else's wedding - frankly, if that was what was expected of me as a guest, I'd just decline the invitation. That is a huge imposition, and if you are set on going and cooking, you absolutely should not feel any need to get them another gift.
  • Not only would I not bring a gift, I also wouldn't go. This is beyond rude.
  • I 100% would not get this person a "gift," even the dish what you serve your food in. You preparing food IS her gift. Get them a card and nothing else.

Frankly, I wouldn't even go to this Gimme Pig Monstrosity. But if you absolutely do go, she would be lucky to get a 1/2 eaten bag of doritos and a card. If she wanted something fancier, she could pay for it her damn self. 

There is NO way I would be actually cooking and preparing food- and did you mention that you are staying in a hotel- how in God's green earth are you supposed to cook it with enough prep time, AND keep it cold in order to not make people sick if you are in a hotel???

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards