Chit Chat

Tattoos

Re: Tattoos

• MagicInk said:

PSA time:

What your artist does and how they behave reflects big time on the professionalism and seriousness they give to their job. Tattooing can attract a wide range of characters and some of them are hella unprofessional. I mean I've worked with guys who show up high to work. These people are not taking their job seriously. 

In the end, your body, your choice. But remember, this person is taking a needle and putting into your skin. The only other people who do this are medical professionals. If your doctor/nurse said they sometimes like patients give them shots for shits and giggles, would you let them give you a shot? Your tattoo artist should be looked at the same way.

Also bounce if they aren't willing to let you watch them open the new needles or set up their work stations. Shady as shit right there. 
    THIS! Yes.. safety first! 

PS.. I like your new signature.. it makes me smile.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MagicInk said:

PSA time:

What your artist does and how they behave reflects big time on the professionalism and seriousness they give to their job. Tattooing can attract a wide range of characters and some of them are hella unprofessional. I mean I've worked with guys who show up high to work. These people are not taking their job seriously. 

In the end, your body, your choice. But remember, this person is taking a needle and putting into your skin. The only other people who do this are medical professionals. If your doctor/nurse said they sometimes like patients give them shots for shits and giggles, would you let them give you a shot? Your tattoo artist should be looked at the same way.

Also bounce if they aren't willing to let you watch them open the new needles or set up their work stations. Shady as shit right there. 

• Not a tattoo person. I'm a commitment phobe, the only commitment that was ever easy for me to make was marrying my FI!

I used to have a lot of piercings. Due to the holes never healing, I had to take most of them out. I really want my nose pierced but I'm afraid it would not heal and grow a weird bump like my other piercings and I never really had a job that allowed it.

Although I would seriously look into it if I ever got a job that allowed facial piercings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You guys are killing me. I got my last tattoo about a year ago and I've been itching for a 5th.
  • Re: the collarbone thing. I have one there. It was absolutely my worst experience. Of course, a lot of people say the foot hurts and my foot one was nothing, and it was my first ever tattoo. So yeah - pain is totally subjective.

I also read, after I got my rose, that behind the ear was up there too. Which... It didn't surprise me; it was the one I had the most lasting pain with, but the process itself didn't hurt that badly. It was just not happy when I made sharp movements with my head.

I don't think I would ever let a person tattoo me that allows untrained people to touch his/her gun.

@magicink if I ever make my way to AZ, I wanna try and get a piece by you.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I can't decide on a tattoo, and I am terrified of getting something permanent that in a few years I'll think, "yeah, no thanks."  I also have had to take out all of my piercings because my ears are super allergic to the metal that is in like 99% of earrings.  I really want to get a little nose stud, but I don't want to get one and then have a huge scar if I have an allergic reaction.  I think we talked about the type of ink that tattoos have in the last tattoo thread?  

• levioosa said:

I can't decide on a tattoo, and I am terrified of getting something permanent that in a few years I'll think, "yeah, no thanks."  I also have had to take out all of my piercings because my ears are super allergic to the metal that is in like 99% of earrings.  I really want to get a little nose stud, but I don't want to get one and then have a huge scar if I have an allergic reaction.  I think we talked about the type of ink that tattoos have in the last tattoo thread?  

It's not the end of the world though. One of mine I thought was so cool 5 years ago and now I could definitely do without it and sometimes it's even a little embarassing. But I would never go through the time, energy, and money to get it lasered off. Maybe a coverup one day, maybe just leave it how it is forever, but it's really not that big of a deal not loving it anymore, it's just like whatever.

• jenna8984 said:

levioosa said:

I can't decide on a tattoo, and I am terrified of getting something permanent that in a few years I'll think, "yeah, no thanks."  I also have had to take out all of my piercings because my ears are super allergic to the metal that is in like 99% of earrings.  I really want to get a little nose stud, but I don't want to get one and then have a huge scar if I have an allergic reaction.  I think we talked about the type of ink that tattoos have in the last tattoo thread?  

It's not the end of the world though. One of mine I thought was so cool 5 years ago and now I could definitely do without it and sometimes it's even a little embarassing. But I would never go through the time, energy, and money to get it lasered off. Maybe a coverup one day, maybe just leave it how it is forever, but it's really not that big of a deal not loving it anymore, it's just like whatever.
    I got an awful tattoo when I was 19. The guy changed what I had asked for and did really sloppy work. Like overall it was just an ugly, poorly-done mess. 

I did better research the next time to find a really talented artist at a reputable shop and got the ugly one covered by a really amazing beautiful one that I'm obsessed with. So it worked out. I mean, I learned the hard way, but that's what you get when you do zero research on the shop and the artist. 

I've had some of my tattoos for 10 years and I still love them. No regrets. Just don't get something trendy. Get something that means something to you and always will, and make sure the style of the artist is the same as your style (some artists specialize in photo-realism, old-school, color, black and gray, etc). Find one who specializes in what you want and who has a style you love. 

For example, the guy who's doing my next tattoo (appointment is June 13!!!) has a skull in his portfolio [among many other things]. That's not my thing, and I would never get a skull tattoo, but it's black and gray, photo-realistic, looks AMAZING, the shading and details are exactly what I have in mind for my piece, and his line-work is fucking awesome. Done deal. 
  • redoryxredoryx member
    Mine are all words so I've designed them myself, just a matter of picking the font. But, yeah, if I were to get graphics it would be a whole other deal of doing research on artists and styles. 

There were some tattoos I thought about getting over the years and never did and I'm glad, as I am sure I would have eventually regretted them. But the ones I went through on I'm so happy to have.
  • jenna8984 said:

levioosa said:

I got an awful tattoo when I was 19. The guy changed what I had asked for and did really sloppy work. Like overall it was just an ugly, poorly-done mess. 

I did better research the next time to find a really talented artist at a reputable shop and got the ugly one covered by a really amazing beautiful one that I'm obsessed with. So it worked out. I mean, I learned the hard way, but that's what you get when you do zero research on the shop and the artist. 

I've had some of my tattoos for 10 years and I still love them. No regrets. Just don't get something trendy. Get something that means something to you and always will, and make sure the style of the artist is the same as your style (some artists specialize in photo-realism, old-school, color, black and gray, etc). Find one who specializes in what you want and who has a style you love. 

For example, the guy who's doing my next tattoo (appointment is June 13!!!) has a skull in his portfolio [among many other things]. That's not my thing, and I would never get a skull tattoo, but it's black and gray, photo-realistic, looks AMAZING, the shading and details are exactly what I have in mind for my piece, and his line-work is fucking awesome. Done deal. 
    Oh definitely. My artist is amazing (and books out up to a year) so it's not the work that I don't like, it's the actual item that I chose. It meant a lot to me 5 years ago and now it kind of doesn't. But like I said, I don't hate it or anything I just wouldn't get it now, and that still doesn't scare me off from future tattoos because it's not THAT big of a deal to have something you don't love (for me anyways).

• Get your tattoo! You seem really excited about it. I don't even personally care for tattoos but honestly when I see them on a bride? Either do not care at all or think it's awesome that she's sharing a piece of herself with us.
  • MagicInk said:

PSA time:

Double Dean gif FTW.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I can't speak to pain. I'm a wuss and my back hurt horribly. I'm thinking that some of it comes down to the artist. My first tattoo was smaller and was hell. The second one was pretty big and only hurt badly towards the end. He just had a lighter touch.

As for cleanliness, I left one place that was highly recommended because it was gross. Garbage on the floor, the bathroom was dirty, etc. The guy did beautiful work but I wasn't risking it. I bring DH with me for tattoos (all 2 of them!) because I want a second opinion on cleanliness and someone who can watch when I can't. Also, because I occasionally want someone to hold my hand or otherwise fuss over me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I can't speak to pain. I'm a wuss and my back hurt horribly. I'm thinking that some of it comes down to the artist. My first tattoo was smaller and was hell. The second one was pretty big and only hurt badly towards the end. He just had a lighter touch.

As for cleanliness, I left one place that was highly recommended because it was gross. Garbage on the floor, the bathroom was dirty, etc. The guy did beautiful work but I wasn't risking it. I bring DH with me for tattoos (all 2 of them!) because I want a second opinion on cleanliness and someone who can watch when I can't. Also, because I occasionally want someone to hold my hand or otherwise fuss over me.

There are definitely heavy-handed artists out there that can add to the "normal" pain. 

I have a tattoo on the top of my foot and one on each side of my heel [the ones on my heel were done by a heavy-handed artist who also did really bad line work]. Those hurt so damn bad. Like almost unbearable. The ones on my arms and back were totally fine, and my side and hip were fine. But the one on my hip went back a little onto my butt and that hurt SO. FUCKING. BAD. 
  • Yeah, my lower back tattoo hurt really bad at the low kind-of-on-the-butt parts. I blame it on my butt being super ticklish.

The top of my foot has a "tribal" dragon (thick black lines, but it's curvy, none of the harsh angles that label and come to mean). That hurt pretty freaking bad, and was probably the worst of the outright pain. The worst-worst, though, was my forearm. It's a detailed black and white piece that runs about an inch shy of wrist-to-elbow just on the inside. The tattooing wasn't so bad, but the detail meant it took a long time, and we chose to do it in one long session instead of breaking it up. Every time he paused to wipe it clean, it was agony, and I almost threw up a few times; even after I left, I felt sick for a few hours just because he'd passed over the same spots so many times and my body was all like STAAAHP.

And no real regrets on any of my tattoos, even the "tramp stamp". I frequently wish I'd had a few little details done differently, or had the design applied at a slightly different angle, but that's just my typical nitpicking; otherwise I'm still happy with all of them. I got the first one fourteen years ago.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, my lower back tattoo hurt really bad at the low kind-of-on-the-butt parts. I blame it on my butt being super ticklish.

The top of my foot has a "tribal" dragon (thick black lines, but it's curvy, none of the harsh angles that label and come to mean). That hurt pretty freaking bad, and was probably the worst of the outright pain. The worst-worst, though, was my forearm. It's a detailed black and white piece that runs about an inch shy of wrist-to-elbow just on the inside. The tattooing wasn't so bad, but the detail meant it took a long time, and we chose to do it in one long session instead of breaking it up. Every time he paused to wipe it clean, it was agony, and I almost threw up a few times; even after I left, I felt sick for a few hours just because he'd passed over the same spots so many times and my body was all like STAAAHP.

And no real regrets on any of my tattoos, even the "tramp stamp". I frequently wish I'd had a few little details done differently, or had the design applied at a slightly different angle, but that's just my typical nitpicking; otherwise I'm still happy with all of them. I got the first one fourteen years ago.
    That is the WORST! It's like they're sticking needs into open wounds (which is kind of what's actually happening). So painful! 
  • I have a tiny one on my collar bone and it didn't have jack on the pain level of the one I have on top of my toe (and no, it isn't a camel)

However I totally get where you're coming from because FI's family are hella bible thumpers and already don't like me, so I've been putting off (and putting off, and putting off) my half sleeve until after the wedding because I just hate confrontation with them and there is a small, minute part of me that has listened to my Grandma for too many years and doesn't want big, flashy tattoos on my wedding day. But like I said, that part is minute. I might just do it anyway. Who doesn't want a big ass Beauty and the Beast tattoo featured in all of the pictures with me and momster-in-law?
  • Pain management during a tattoo tip for anyone interested. Focus on the artist's hand. The one that's holding your skin taught. Focus on the pressure of their hand and breath slowly.

When I have someone who is really nervous about the pain I tell them "Feel this right here? Feel my hand resting on you? Focus on this. Breath deep and slow and just focus on the feel of this hand". It doesn't totally take away the pain but it gives you something else to focus on.

Of course I'm also of the school of thought that if the pain is stopping you from the tattoo, you probably don't want that tattoo anyways.
  • MagicInk said:

Pain management during a tattoo tip for anyone interested. Focus on the artist's hand. The one that's holding your skin taught. Focus on the pressure of their hand and breath slowly.

When I have someone who is really nervous about the pain I tell them "Feel this right here? Feel my hand resting on you? Focus on this. Breath deep and slow and just focus on the feel of this hand". It doesn't totally take away the pain but it gives you something else to focus on.

Of course I'm also of the school of thought that if the pain is stopping you from the tattoo, you probably don't want that tattoo anyways.
    Thanks for this! I usually try to bring someone who tells good stories. I ask them to tell me a crazy/funny story and that's the thing I pay attention to. It usually helps a lot. 

I learned not to take on of my friends because she just stared in horror the entire time and kept asking, "does it hurt? that looks like it hurts. omg I see blood!" Ugh. 
  • Pain management during a tattoo tip for anyone interested. Focus on the artist's hand. The one that's holding your skin taught. Focus on the pressure of their hand and breath slowly.

Thanks for this! I usually try to bring someone who tells good stories. I ask them to tell me a crazy/funny story and that's the thing I pay attention to. It usually helps a lot. 

I learned not to take on of my friends because she just stared in horror the entire time and kept asking, "does it hurt? that looks like it hurts. omg I see blood!" Ugh. 

This is why I'm not allowed when H gets tattoos. I've never been with him but he knows I'm a nutbag. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    The top of my foot was the worst. I have one on the inside of my wrist, and another on the outside of my wrist... the one on the outside was the least painful. He had a super light hand and it was just not a big deal at all. The one on my foot... SUCKED. It's writing and towards the end you can see the lines get a little shaky because my foot was uncontrollably shaking and I was just like GET IT OVER WITH KEEP GOING. My rib piece hurt but not so bad I wouldn't get another in that area.

My next one I want along my collarbone.

Ditto PPs who said the pain is totally subjective. Asking someone how bad it hurt them is really pointless because it will likely effect you in a totally different way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MagicInk said:

Pain management during a tattoo tip for anyone interested. Focus on the artist's hand. The one that's holding your skin taught. Focus on the pressure of their hand and breath slowly.

Thank you for this! I am getting my first larger piece (inside wrist tattoo didn't hurt at all). I am getting a black and gray peony as a shoulder cap. My artist books 5 months out. I have great recs that she is light-handed, but that pain thing has been at the back of my brain. I usually have a high pain tolerance thanks to multiple surgeries, but this really helps to give me a backup plan. I can't wait for September to get here!
    Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.

I have had so many people freak out about the blood. OMG that's blood! Is it suppossed to bleed! OMG!!! 

It's a needle. Being jabbed into skin. Yes it is going to bleed a little. Cause needle+skin. 
  • redoryxredoryx member
    MagicInk said:

Interesting! I actually did this with my last one, not on purpose but because I love watching them do the tattoo so I just kept watching his hands and I did remember walking away thinking it didn't seem to hurt as much as my other inner wrist one.
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    My shoulder tattoo hurt so bad. Parts weren't bad, but going over the scapula and the shading, yeahhh. Good thing it was over pretty quickly because I was just about to tell her to stop and I'd come back later. I kept kicking my foot and she told me to knock it off. I love it though. 

I had that done in OR. Apparently in MN you can't bring a friend back there with you? At least that's how it was for H when he got his. Bringing someone with is half the fun so that's a bummer. I want another, just haven't pulled the trigger. 

We were admittedly a little worried about how H's uncle would react to my tattoo because he is a real dick about stuff like that. Eventually, H mentioned it to him and he said he didn't care. He also still doesn't know about H's tattoo, but that one is easier to cover up. This guy is also a real bigot in general, so I don't really give two shits about his opinion.  I specifically wanted a dress that would show it off. 
  • MagicInk said:

I have found my best companion in a tattoo studio is a good, engrossing book. I've gone with people before, and having more than me and the artist in there kind of stresses me out. I can chitchat with an artist but if I need a thing to focus on that isn't the person jabbing me a gajillion times, the book is much easier for me. My best times have been those when I had something to read (and was in a position I could read in).

If someone said "OMG that's blood! You're bleeding!" They would be banished. Yes, I'm being jabbed with needles, and I'm a pretty easy bleeder anyway. There is going to be blood.
  • KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    My first one I have planned will be a back piece, and I'm going to bring the husband with me. He's just an awesome presence during these kinds of things (I assume tattooing and labour have at least a few things in common)...
  • @MagicInk that is awesome advice on the pain management! I never thought to try that but I will next time. 

I have pieces on my upper arms, ribs, hip and shoulder blade and my shoulder hurt so fucking bad. Like, I was almost in tears and about to throw up from the pain. The spot closest to my spine felt like white hot pain. Even my ribs didn't hurt that bad. Our guy has a pretty heavy hand though so I know that partly contributed to the pain. Afterwards was when my in-laws decided to share with me that their back pieces hurt the worst out of all the work they've had done (both are covered pretty much from the neck down). So that made me feel little better about being such a wuss over the pain, because normally I handle it much better than I did. 
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

MagicInk said:

I have found my best companion in a tattoo studio is a good, engrossing book. I've gone with people before, and having more than me and the artist in there kind of stresses me out. I can chitchat with an artist but if I need a thing to focus on that isn't the person jabbing me a gajillion times, the book is much easier for me. My best times have been those when I had something to read (and was in a position I could read in).

If someone said "OMG that's blood! You're bleeding!" They would be banished. Yes, I'm being jabbed with needles, and I'm a pretty easy bleeder anyway. There is going to be blood.
    -----------------#DudaWheresMyBox-------------------------------------------------------

lol I did banish her. She mentioned she was hungry so I said, "Why don't you go get some food and I'll just meet up with you later." 
    She said, "Really? Are you sure?"
    I said, "Yes, please go." 

Unrelated, I'm not even friends with that person anymore. I think the beginning of the end for us was when she had a major freak-out at her 25th birthday in which she screamed at me that she was a failure in life for not being a wife yet, and the only reason she went to college was to meet a wealthy guy who would take care of her. She spent 8 years as an undergrad, all of which her parents paid out of pocket. To meet a husband. 
  • MagicInk said:

-----------------#DudaWheresMyBox-------------------------------------------------------

lol I did banish her. She mentioned she was hungry so I said, "Why don't you go get some food and I'll just meet up with you later." 
    She said, "Really? Are you sure?"
    I said, "Yes, please go." 

Unrelated, I'm not even friends with that person anymore. I think the beginning of the end for us was when she had a major freak-out at her 25th birthday in which she screamed at me that she was a failure in life for not being a wife yet, and the only reason she went to college was to meet a wealthy guy who would take care of her. She spent 8 years as an undergrad, all of which her parents paid out of pocket. To meet a husband. 
    To the bolded:
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And... wow. Your ex-friend is... a little excessive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards