Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cellphone use during weddings

2»

Re: Cellphone use during weddings

• If someone is texting or checking Instagram or FB during the wedding, you probably won't be able to tell because the phone will be in their lap and below the level of all the other heads and chairs. As for calling, I cannot believe that there is anyone in the world rude enough to take or make a call in the middle of the wedding. I don't think that will happen.
    This happened to a friend of mine. His father's phone rang during the ceremony. He stood up and walked away (outdoor ceremony), but we all heard him take the call. The officiant stopped what he was saying to wait for the FOG to finish up and sit down. It was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.

No amount of signs or notes in programs would have prevented this. Someone who is going to be rude with their phone is not going to listen to a note. 
    One would wonder what is so important that the FOG had to take a phone call in the middle of his son's wedding.
    I don't know who it was, but considering he is usually unemployed, I doubt it was a matter of national security. 

If I remember correctly, he was pretty drunk by that point. Dude was never a contender for father of the year. 
    And that's the point we all have. Assholes are going to be assholes whether you have a cutesy sign or not. So don't be an asshole to the rest of your guests that have manners.

• It's rude. You have to trust people to be adults.  And trust me, the day of your wedding, you won't even notice anything that's going on at your ceremony except your husband and the person marrying you.  Believe me. Once I started walking down that aisle, I didn't notice anything other than my husband for the duration of the ceremony. 
  • Ditto banana, I have my phone with me all the time in case something comes up with one of the kids.  They can be fine when you leave and feverish and/or puking an hour later.  So not bringing it all is a non-starter.

My BFF (and former BM) is a photographer (though she almost never does weddings because of bride horror stories).  She's gotten a ton of bar/bat mitzvah business through word of mouth, and has managed to take great photos without catching anyone's cell phones in the frame.  It's not hard, for someone who knows what they're doing.

And finally, went to the movies last weekend.  They have signs when you enter the theater, plus eleven hundred reminders on-screen:  please silence your phone.  Three trailers in, someone's phone rings.  You can have all the Etsy signs and announcements in the world, but people are going to continue to be clueless.  Best not too worry too much and roll with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards