Not Engaged Yet

Thankful Thursday

Re: Thankful Thursday

• Sorry @cu97tiger I forgot to reply to you before. I hope my team doesn't think that I don't care. I'm more laid back in the sense that I don't mind them taking time off or leaving early for certain things- I guess what I mean is I'm flexible with them? Some managers/supervisors are nuts about that stuff and I try to be flexible because I know they are people with lives, kids, spouses outside of work. I just got irritated a couple of weeks ago because I will help out with their work if they need to be out and if I have time. A couple of weeks ago one team member was out of work for a few days unexpectedly- I asked two others to help me with her work so we wouldn't fall behind- everyone had an excuse why they couldn't do it even though I'm always there to help them out. That pissed me off. 
    I've only been a supervisor for just about a year now and it's so hard for me to figure out how to be the nice/flexible boss but still command respect.

• @500days - They're amazing! H and I have never had a problem with being hungry after any of the meals I've made. I have a free week that I can share with you if you want to try it out! Just PM me your email address. 

• -What are you thankful for today?
    That I'm getting paid to dogsit for my friend and I am only working six hours today

-What do you wish people would thank you more for?
    Not being a prick. Seriously, people unfairly talk shit about me at work all the time and I could totally go right back at them and tell my boss about every little transgression but I don't. I just come to work, do my job, and leave. Everything said comes back to me and it's so hypocritical, but my boss knows me very well so things could be a lot worse. She actually said to me yesterday I'm the only one she trusts after some gossipy drama that went down this week, so I guess that's a plus.

-Plans for the weekend (part of me still thinks its Friday, ok)?
    None yet, I think I'm gonna just take it easy. The last few weekends have been very busy for me lol

Today I'm gonna go see Ant Man after work and then hang out with my BF and we will watch Netflix and snuggle. Maybe an old Disney movie. We watched The Fox and the Hound the other night and as adults that movie is still sad but also super funny at some parts lol.
  • @swazzle YES!!! that would be amazing. Sending you PM.
  • @peaseblossom55 - TEST VIBES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck!!!

@500days - yes we found a venue but havent signed a contract yet and i dont want to AW it until we sign (i guess im being superstitious). im hoping she will send it over  today because we told her on monday we want to move forward. the Boston GTG was awesome! @jenna8984 @phira and @lavenderfields13 are awesome ladies. let's plan another one so you and @caseface5 can join. what does august look like for everyone? 

@speakasy14 - sorry about your migraine. are you feeling better today?

@lavenderfields13 - thats really annoying about your coworkers not helping out when you need them to pitch in. 

@mskittydanger - happy bachelorette!
  • @jenjen047 I'm feeling much better today.  I think I was going through caffeine withdrawal yesterday.  
  • casey1219casey1219 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    Hey everyone! I've been working in my classroom for two days, and I've not been online.
    -What are you thankful for today? I'm thankful to have a career I love. Being in my classroom for two days sorting through piles of student artwork that have "I love you" written on it reminds me I'm doing something valuable. Also, I'm thankful for a loving family, church family, and a BF who still gives me butterflies and makes me want to be a better person. I'm just having all kinds of feels this morning.

-What do you wish people would thank you more for?I don't know, really. I get thanked plenty by family and BF, but sometimes I wish people would just realize that when I love them, I'll go to the ends of the earth for them. I've done it to the point that some people almost expect it, and it's getting kinda old.

-Plans for the weekend?Nothing major going on for us this weekend. Friday will probably have a trip to Bass Pro since Saturday BF and his nephew are fishing a kids' tournament together. (Seriously, BF melts my heart with his niece, nephews, kids in general. He's awesome with them.) Then Sunday, my boyfriend will be starting a revival, so we'll do our usual church and lunch on Sunday. :)
  • jenjen047 said:
    @peaseblossom55 - TEST VIBES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck!!!

@500days - yes we found a venue but havent signed a contract yet and i dont want to AW it until we sign (i guess im being superstitious). im hoping she will send it over  today because we told her on monday we want to move forward. the Boston GTG was awesome! @jenna8984 @phira and @lavenderfields13 are awesome ladies. let's plan another one so you and @caseface5 can join. what does august look like for everyone? 

@speakasy14 - sorry about your migraine. are you feeling better today?

@lavenderfields13 - thats really annoying about your coworkers not helping out when you need them to pitch in. 

@mskittydanger - happy bachelorette!

SITB********************

friends tv show funy
  • @alpacina - no shame in your game. id be talking about my house all the time if i had one like yours. 
  • What are you thankful for today? Today I am thankful for everyone in my life being healthy right now. My mom had to go back to the doctor’s last week for a follow-up mammogram, which she didn’t tell me about until after it happened. Turns out everything’s fine, but now I’m overly paranoid about my parents getting sick. My grandparents all died really young, and I want my parents to be around for a long, long time!

What do you wish people would thank you more for? I guess for being pretty laid back 90% of the time. My students, family, FI, friends, coworkers all seem to take it for granted a little bit.

Plans for the weekend? Tomorrow night I’m driving up to FI’s mom’s house for our monthy Bunco night. I missed last month because FI and I had concert tickets, so I haven’t seen the other Bunco girls since we got engaged! Should be a fun time. Saturday FI is working and my sister and her BF are coming to visit for the night. Sunday, no plans yet!

-------------------------------------------

@twodimes 9 days!!! AH! Love your wedding details!

@southernpeach89 I love all of those curtain swatches! Your #1 is also my favorite.

@swazzle Sounds like you have an exciting weekend planned!

@jenjen047 Glad you got the STD’s figured out! Love your choice! We just started looking at photographers too, and are debating real vs. fake flowers (is it really any cheaper to do fake??).

@untouchablets I love The Fox and the Hound!!

• @eilis1228 - OMG! I'm so jealous! I am going to try and convince my BF's parents to go in on a sous vide set-up for his Christmas present (even though I mostly want it for myself). I've heard it tastes incredible. How long did it cook for?

@TwoDimes - Our dog is up by 7 at the latest, typically 5:30. My BF will typically do one weekend morning with the dog, but only if I ask. He definitely never volunteers. But again, I'm just thankful he let me get a dog when he personally wasn't ready for the responsibility. I don't expect him to do anything. I'd just love a thank you once in a while. It's probably something I should let him know about.

• I need some of that steak, @eilis1228.
  • @knockonwood5217 Glad your mom got a clean bill of health!!

@eilis1228 Thanks, I hope the BBQ isn't too sad either. 1. You were in someone's wedding without meeting them? How did that happen?! 2. I need that machine......I NEED that steak in and around my mouth!!!

• @eilis1228 OMG that steak is making me drool.  Also, hopefully they can fix your computer issues, that is just aggravating. 
  • eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    @TwoDimes I think I could make April happen. We should start another thread for a Vegas G2G to see if anyone else is seriously interested.

@AlPacina FI has been eyeing it for a while and watching a lot of videos on cooking meat sous vide. I was a little skeptical, but the machine went on sale for Amazon Prime Day, so he ordered it. I'm really glad he did! We cooked the steak for about 45 minutes I think. The chicken will cook for about an hour tonight. That particular company has an app that syncs with the machine, so you select the recipe you want to try, and the app syncs the machine up with the correct temp and time needed. It's pretty swanky.

@CocoBellaF It was so good! I want him to make it a weekly thing lol.

@jenna8984 I attended the wedding but wasn't in it. The bride was FI's friend from college, so he knew her pretty well, but neither of us had met the groom. Now we're really close friends with them, and they're both part of our wedding party. FI and I had been dating maybe 6 months when we attended their wedding, and we were still long distance, so I hadn't yet met all of his friends. And yes, that sous vide machine is one of the best purchases we've made. I can't wait to try other recipes with it! Really hoping a fancy steak dinner becomes a weekly thing. :-P

@jenjen047 *blushes* Thanks! :) I will say that the past few days when TK was being buggy, I was SO MUCH more productive at work. I didn't realize how much time I spent on TK reading and replying to everyone. I enjoy it though. 

@speakeasy14 I think my computer issues are behind me. My computer normally slows down to a crawl from 10am to 11:30ish, but I haven't had any issues like that today. I think the IT guy didn't set up my monitors correctly after he installed the extra memory, and I'm not sure why it caused my hard drive to crash, but the computer did a black screen debugging thing this morning, and since then I've been OK. *crosses fingers* Also, I really can't wait to try out the sous vide machine tonight on chicken. I think I'll also buy some nice tilapia to try out next week... I will definitely report back!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @peaseblossom good luck on your test!!

@eilis1228 I've never heard of a sous vide machine..what the heck is it? Your steak looks so good!

• @eilis1228 - I'm starting to get into GoT a little more. I'm glad to hear it really picks up though!

• @lavenderfields13 There are a few different machines that basically do the same thing, but essentially you vacuum seal meat and cook it in a jacuzzi lol. The machine brings the water to a very precise temperature and keeps it moving, and it cooks the meat evenly and precisely while keeping it moist. Here's a pic of the steak while it was cooking:

I feel like my posts today should be sponsored by Anova.

• @eilis1228 - Oh man, the only other person I talked to about sous vide cooking said that he'd do 4 hours or something. I have no idea what the discrepancy there is. 45 minutes sounds WAY better!

Also, VEGAS! VEGAS! VEGAS!

• eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    @bethsmiles Believe me, by book 3 you won't want to put it down. My step-dad is currently reading the series, and I bought him the companion book (LINK) to help him keep track of everything. Previously he'd been marking up the books with sticky notes to help him keep all of the characters and events straight. I don't know if that book has any spoilers though... haven't heard any complaints from my step-dad, but I think he's on book 4, so there may not be much left to spoil for him.

@AlPacina I think it depends on what you're cooking. A huge pork roast or turkey or whole chicken might take 4 hours, but a pound of meat won't take anywhere near that long. And yes, let's make Vegas happen!

• @lavenderfields13 - Yes, that is a tricky balance to strike. I think you're going about it the right way, in terms of being flexible and understanding. Next time someone is out, though, think about how you phrase the request for help from your other employees. I'd imagine that it is part of their job to cover for their co-workers, so instead of asking, you may have to specifically delegate tasks. You can do that in a nice way, but don't really give them the choice to back out.

@peaseblossom55 - Sending you so many positive, smartypants, good test-taking vibes!

@eilis1228 - Thanks! I don't feel like a fitness goddess, but when I almost passed out during the workout this morning, the coach was telling me something about how athletic, lean people should eat, and she was talking about MEEE. I wanted to tell her what my body fat % was, to make sure she knew who she was talking to, but then she was saying how other newbies have a harder time with some of the conditioning stuff, and she hasn't seen that from me at all, so she knew something was off this morning. It made me feel really good, even if those damn love handles won't go away.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @cu97tiger I mean, if the CrossFit coach is telling everyone how they should be more like you, then you're definitely doing something right. :) I know that I draw inspiration from a lot of your fitness posts too. Your sugar ban led to me deciding to start one, your posts about your workouts help keep me motivated to workout, and I think you look fabulous in all of your pics. I know you may not *feel* fabulous in all of your pics, but I promise you look amazing!

• eilis1228 said:
    @cu97tiger I mean, if the CrossFit coach is telling everyone how they should be more like you, then you're definitely doing something right. :) I know that I draw inspiration from a lot of your fitness posts too. Your sugar ban led to me deciding to start one, your posts about your workouts help keep me motivated to workout, and I think you look fabulous in all of your pics. I know you may not *feel* fabulous in all of your pics, but I promise you look amazing!
    I second this. 
  • @eilis1228 Ha cooking meat in a jacuzzi type appliance is crazy to me- never have I seen that before!

@cu97tiger yeah I think sometimes I need to be more direct. I thought I was telling them and not asking - I sent and email saying "please let me know when you're done with X because I need you to help me with Y since Mary is out". I got back "Well I have to do A&B". K, well if I can do C,D,Q, R and a bunch of other crap you can fit in Y. Ugh. 

• @knockonwood5127 Congrats on finalizing the contract! Setting a date was almost as exciting as the proposal for me. It definitely makes everything more real. :) 

@lavenderfields13 I'd never heard of it either. FI found a bunch of YouTube videos about it via Reddit, but I was still skeptical until he made that steak. Here's a LINK to the website that he uses for all thing sous vide. They also did a video recently of them cooking all types of stuff in a waffle iron, like quesadillas, brownies, and cake, which is definitely something I can get behind! Yum. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards