Attire & Accessories Forum

SHOCKING: I bought a dress!

Re: SHOCKING: I bought a dress!

• CMGragain said:

I went dress shopping yesterday, with absolutely no intentions of buying…and then I fell in love with a clearance gown at David’s Bridal, but couldn’t afford it and couldn’t ask my mom because she hasn’t gotten the experience of going dress shopping with me, and because she’s paying, I want her to have that…so I asked if there was anything similar in the $99 section, because that I could do myself and not feel guilty if I found another dress with my mom, and there was one dress that fit my vision, and only 3 of them left, with one being my size.

I tried it on, and even when we were just putting it on I got the feels…and then I saw it on. I loved it even more than the one I couldn’t afford, my roommate and consultant agreed, it made me feel beautiful, classy and bridal, and it fit me like a glove — the only alterations it’ll need are hemming and a bustle! The consultant said she has never seen someone who fits into size 10 dresses like I do [perfectly] without even needing the straps adjusted, and she’s been at DB for over 20 years!

The dress is super plain, simple and classy, and I’ll dress it up some with a blingy belt and maybe have some flowers put along the hem, and of course, wear a hoop skirt…but wow. Who would’ve thought I’d buy a dress! My roommate and I went just to play dress up (although she found her dress too).

I don’t have any pics of me in it, I’ll have to ask my roommate if she does — she should…but here’s a stock photo.

image image

I am glad you found the dress you love.  You said that you couldn't afford it.  How are you planning to pay for it?
    Playing dress up in a bridal salon isn't a very nice thing to do, though.  If you have no intention of buying a wedding dress, you shouldn't be taking up the consultant's time.  It is also hard on the samples.  In your case, it seems to have worked out.
    How is this any different from recommending Pearl's Place?  I mean, you don't recommend them unless the bride has tried on the dress in a store right?  Which means that if someone wants to use Pearl's Place to save money, they will be wasting a consultant's time trying on dress(es) with no intention of buying from the consultant.  
  • Viczaesar said:
    I've worked retail. A LOT of retail. I know how it goes. I understand the pressure to sell and to meet sales goals and quotas. And to be taken away from tasks that absolutely must be done by a certain deadline to deal with customers. I was a manager at Sears among other retail jobs.

I don't disrespect people's time or money. Like I said, I deserve to try on gowns just as much as the next girl, especially since my wedding is so far away no one is expecting me to buy, they understand it's a first look situation. I don't disrespect my guests, and I most certainly don't disrespect other's cultures.

But I obviously don't fit in here because I've got a different style than y'all do, and that's okay.
    Again, NO ONE deserves to try on gowns, much less gowns that are owned by someone else.  This is not something you have a right to, and thinking that you do is gross.

That's ridiculous. Every bride deserves to try on gowns. Why would she not, unless she's not wearing one? I don't know a single person who would buy a wedding dress without trying it on. Hell, I know people who won't even buy a t-shirt without trying it on!

I ordered a vintage dress online, which I (obviously) didn't try on first. I am foregoing that dress (I decided against attempting to restore it due to the delicacy of the fabric). I am having a custom dress made by a design house in Arizona, which I definitely won't be able to try on as I live on the east coast. I absolutely trust the designer to make an appropriately sized dress that I will love, if I give her the correct measurements and details. I will have it altered if needed.  So there are 2 very valid examples of brides who do not try on dresses before buying. I am sure both of which happen more often than with just myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Viczaesar said:
    I've worked retail. A LOT of retail. I know how it goes. I understand the pressure to sell and to meet sales goals and quotas. And to be taken away from tasks that absolutely must be done by a certain deadline to deal with customers. I was a manager at Sears among other retail jobs.

I don't disrespect people's time or money. Like I said, I deserve to try on gowns just as much as the next girl, especially since my wedding is so far away no one is expecting me to buy, they understand it's a first look situation. I don't disrespect my guests, and I most certainly don't disrespect other's cultures.

But I obviously don't fit in here because I've got a different style than y'all do, and that's okay.
    Again, NO ONE deserves to try on gowns, much less gowns that are owned by someone else.  This is not something you have a right to, and thinking that you do is gross.

That's ridiculous. Every bride deserves to try on gowns. Why would she not, unless she's not wearing one? I don't know a single person who would buy a wedding dress without trying it on. Hell, I know people who won't even buy a t-shirt without trying it on!

I ordered a vintage dress online, which I (obviously) didn't try on first. I am foregoing that dress (I decided against attempting to restore it due to the delicacy of the fabric). I am having a custom dress made by a design house in Arizona, which I definitely won't be able to try on as I live on the east coast. I absolutely trust the designer to make an appropriately sized dress that I will love, if I give her the correct measurements and details. I will have it altered if needed.  So there are 2 very valid examples of brides who do not try on dresses before buying. I am sure both of which happen more often than with just myself.

Well glad you're willing to take that gamble. I'm not. Not with anything. I won't even buy a t-shirt without trying it on unless it's the exact same as one I already own but in a different color/pattern. Same goes for pretty much everything else except leggings because I'm always either a medium or a large so I generally just get whichever is there.
  • Viczaesar said:

If you never tried on any dresses beforehand to find out which style and silhoutte you prefer and looks best on you, you're definitely in the minority - congrats!  

There were dress styles I loved which, when I tried on, absolutely did not work for me.  They weren't flattering.  Could I have given a designer my measurements and have them make me a great fitting, beautiful gown?  Of course!  Does that mean it would've worked for my body shape?  Nope!  That's why you hear many stories of brides going in with a vision for a gown and coming out with something totally different!  
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Viczaesar said:

If you never tried on any dresses beforehand to find out which style and silhoutte you prefer and looks best on you, you're definitely in the minority - congrats!  

There were dress styles I loved which, when I tried on, absolutely did not work for me.  They weren't flattering.  Could I have given a designer my measurements and have them make me a great fitting, beautiful gown?  Of course!  Does that mean it would've worked for my body shape?  Nope!  That's why you hear many stories of brides going in with a vision for a gown and coming out with something totally different!  
    Definitely chose a silhouette that I know looks alright on me, I'm not that silly. My point was to OP that some people do indeed do this. *shrug*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Viczaesar said:

No.  Nobody deserves to try on gowns.  Just like no one deserves a shower, or not one deserves to have a big wedding.  These are not things that a person can deserve.  They can want it, they can have it if they can make it work, but they do not deserve it.  They certainly don't deserve to use someone else's private property with no intention of actually supporting that person financially for the privilege.  Trying on dresses is a privilege, not a right and not something you can deserve.

• Viczaesar said:
    Viczaesar said:

No.  Nobody deserves to try on gowns.  Just like no one deserves a shower, or not one deserves to have a big wedding.  These are not things that a person can deserve.  They can want it, they can have it if they can make it work, but they do not deserve it.  They certainly don't deserve to use someone else's private property with no intention of actually supporting that person financially for the privilege.  Trying on dresses is a privilege, not a right and not something you can deserve.

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. 
  • @lildropofsunshine girl you read my mind. I'm questioning her sanity.
  • We ordered daughter's dress from Pearl's Place.  Daughter had never heard of it.  While we were dress shopping, we tried on mostly sample gowns from a previous season, which were already discontinued, hoping to find one.  We failed
    Daughter was pleased with a then current dress at Davids Bridal, but not in love with it.    It would have been her second choice, though, and not available elsewhere.
    Her final choice was a dress from Demetrios.  It was the only dress she tried on there.  Before I ordered it from Pearl's Place, I was upfront with the shop, and I gave them every opportunity to lower their price.  They declined.
    We never went into any shop with the idea that we weren't going to buy a dress there.
    Demetrios price - $1300 plus tax.  Pearl's Place price, $735.  Same dress.  I would have preferred to order it locally, but they wouldn't budge.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @lildropofsunshine  I agree with you that you do have the right to try on dresses. Even if you had no intentions of buying - you went, you saw a dress you liked in the $99 section, you loved and bought, so I'm going to be positive here and say congratulations and the dress looks beautiful!! :) xo
  • Viczaesar said:
    @lildropofsunshine girl you read my mind. I'm questioning her sanity.
    You're questioning my sanity because I don't think people "deserve" to try on something that belongs to someone else?  

Good lord, the entitlement attitude is strong in here.  The fact that you're getting married does not make you deserve anything.  What a gross attitude.

You're the one with the gross attitude.
  • Viczaesar said:
    @lildropofsunshine girl you read my mind. I'm questioning her sanity.
    You're questioning my sanity because I don't think people "deserve" to try on something that belongs to someone else?  

Good lord, the entitlement attitude is strong in here.  The fact that you're getting married does not make you deserve anything.  What a gross attitude.

You're the one with the gross attitude.

What are we, in 3rd grade? I get that you guys don't like me. I don't get why. But that's okay. Can't be liked by everyone. I guess I assumed wrong that on a wedding forum people would behave like adults.
  • My gif was reflective of my feelings on your behavior in this thread. You're acting like an entitled child, and yet calling others immature. Hello pot, meet kettle. 
  • I'm not acting like a child at all. I've been more mature on this thread than most of the other posters. People are acting like what I did was some horrible thing which I had no right to do when in reality, people do it all the time, and I've only said what I truly believe.
  • I'm not acting like a child at all. I've been more mature on this thread than most of the other posters. People are acting like what I did was some horrible thing which I had no right to do when in reality, people do it all the time, and I've only said what I truly believe.
    You went into a bridal salon with an appointment with absolutely no intention to buy a dress. You were going to find out what you liked and then have your aunt make you a dress. This is wasting the time of someone who makes a living off of commissions. You just wanted to play dress up.

It is like going into a car dealership to test drive cars with no plan to ever buy/lease the vehicle or any other one from that dealership. You are just wasting someone's time. Someone who makes a living off of selling expensive items to people.

What part of this do you not get?

The part where you and the other posters here have a problem with my actions. Does it affect YOUR LIFE? I don't think so. Therefore, there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch and attack me for something so petty. I had to know what looked good on me and what didn't. How would I have known without trying everything on? I wouldn't have, and then I would've ended up with a beautiful dress that yes fit me perfectly, but may have looked absolutely horrendous on my body!
    You went into a bridal salon with an appointment with absolutely no intention to buy a dress. You were going to find out what you liked and then have your aunt make you a dress. This is wasting the time of someone who makes a living off of commissions. You just wanted to play dress up.

It is like going into a car dealership to test drive cars with no plan to ever buy/lease the vehicle or any other one from that dealership. You are just wasting someone's time. Someone who makes a living off of selling expensive items to people.

The part where you and the other posters here have a problem with my actions. Does it affect YOUR LIFE? I don't think so. Therefore, there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch and attack me for something so petty. I had to know what looked good on me and what didn't. How would I have known without trying everything on? I wouldn't have, and then I would've ended up with a beautiful dress that yes fit me perfectly, but may have looked absolutely horrendous on my body!
    But you didn't need to book an appointment. You could have just gone into the bridal salon or a department store that had formal dresses and tried things on by yourself. You didn't need the sales person's help if you weren't going to buy anything.

But you didn't need to book an appointment. You could have just gone into the bridal salon or a department store that had formal dresses and tried things on by yourself. You didn't need the sales person's help if you weren't going to buy anything.

Um, no. Half of the bridal gowns you can't even get into by yourself! And consultants know better than the general public what will look good on each body type and what type of dresses to pull.

I've worked in sales, and yes, it's frustrating when you spend a lot of time with someone who then buys nothing, but it's also your job to keep the customer happy. I've even gotten yelled at for not making sales, or not making large enough sales, but at the end of the day, that's just how the cookie crumbles.
  • justsie said:
    I'm not acting like a child at all. I've been more mature on this thread than most of the other posters. People are acting like what I did was some horrible thing which I had no right to do when in reality, people do it all the time, and I've only said what I truly believe.

You also can try on different styles of dresses that aren't bridal, like at Macys or another formal dress shop that doesn't require appointments. There wasn't really a need to book an appointment at a bridal shop at all....

The ladies on here are big on not treating people rudely and being respectful of other people. What you were planning on doing was disrespectful to the woman who happened to get your appointment. That is what they are trying to point out to you. Instead of taking a step back and going "oh damn, that was a shitty thing I was planning on doing." you're balling up your fists and going " I DESERVE TO TRY ON DRESSES". That behavior is pretty childish. 

Trying on non-bridal dresses wouldn't help when I was looking for a bridal dress. And it's not childish to say I deserve to try on dresses because I do. Every bride does. And like I said, I know how sales works, even commission. I have 6 years of retail experience. I've had customers take up over an hour of my time when I've had a deadline to meet and have missed it because of them. I've had customers try on half the store and not buy a thing. I've had customers return items that someone else sold them and have it reflect badly on me. It's all part of the job.
  • Because this, an a-line formal dress with a sweetheart neckline:

Is soooo different from this, an a-line wedding dress with a sweetheart neckline:
  • Yeah, it actually is. The flow of the skirt on that bridal gown might look pretty on the model but horrible on the person trying it on, and the a-line formal gown is just a simple bottom. '

And I wanted to try on every silhouette in different colors and styles that were bridal. I'm not a bride who is okay with wearing a bridesmaid dress or a formal white dress. It has to be a wedding dress. That I will admit is entitled, but so what?
  • justsie said:
    I'm not acting like a child at all. I've been more mature on this thread than most of the other posters. People are acting like what I did was some horrible thing which I had no right to do when in reality, people do it all the time, and I've only said what I truly believe.

You also can try on different styles of dresses that aren't bridal, like at Macys or another formal dress shop that doesn't require appointments. There wasn't really a need to book an appointment at a bridal shop at all....

The ladies on here are big on not treating people rudely and being respectful of other people. What you were planning on doing was disrespectful to the woman who happened to get your appointment. That is what they are trying to point out to you. Instead of taking a step back and going "oh damn, that was a shitty thing I was planning on doing." you're balling up your fists and going " I DESERVE TO TRY ON DRESSES". That behavior is pretty childish. 

Trying on non-bridal dresses wouldn't help when I was looking for a bridal dress. And it's not childish to say I deserve to try on dresses because I do. Every bride does. And like I said, I know how sales works, even commission. I have 6 years of retail experience. I've had customers take up over an hour of my time when I've had a deadline to meet and have missed it because of them. I've had customers try on half the store and not buy a thing. I've had customers return items that someone else sold them and have it reflect badly on me. It's all part of the job.
    You must feel HORRIBLE for the brides that chose to wear nonbridal gowns then. Poor things, how would anyone know they were the bride because they didn't buy their dress from a bridal shop.
  • justsie said:
    justsie said:

You must feel HORRIBLE for the brides that chose to wear nonbridal gowns then. Poor things, how would anyone know they were the bride because they didn't buy their dress from a bridal shop.

Um, no. That's their choice. Why you want to put words in my mouth that are things I would never even say is absolutely beyond me. I have no issues with brides wearing non-bridal gowns, but I wouldn't ever do it myself. It's just like how I have no problems with people who eat beef, but you'd have a hell of a time getting me to do it!

• I've worked retail. A LOT of retail. I know how it goes. I understand the pressure to sell and to meet sales goals and quotas. And to be taken away from tasks that absolutely must be done by a certain deadline to deal with customers. I was a manager at Sears among other retail jobs.

But you clearly disrespect a designer's right to their creations. You were going to have your aunt recreate someone else'es work.

Not entirely. I was going to have her make me a custom dress with ideas from designers. People do that all the time. It's not like it was going to be an exact replica. Maybe one style top with another bottom, my own lace or bling pattern etc. It wasn't going to be a knockoff, it was going to be an original.

*damn boxes*

An original COPY of one or more dresses.
  • edited August 2015

Viczaesar said:

***pretend there's a box here ***

The key word in the T-shirt situation is buy. They try it in with the intention of buying it of it looks good. Not what the OP was doing.
  • Gonna stick on the positive side and say you look gorgeous in the dress, and it's great that you found one you liked in your budget! 
    (My father is a sales director and frequently deals with people who use his time when not intending to purchase his product - many who even take free items offered by his company to prospectives when they don't intend to buy anything, so personally I'm not offended by anything you did [seems almost normal to me], though I can totally see the side of those who are defending the consultant!) :)
    However, at the end of the day you bought a beautiful dress, wasted no one's time, and I bet you're very pleased to see how the wedding dress shopping turned out! 

Except dealerships encourage this. Because intentions aside, getting people like the OP who think they have no intention of buying a product from you into your store trying it on or driving it is actually a really good sales tactic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards