Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Logistics of welcome drinks following rehearsal dinner

bizzy592bizzy592 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited August 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hi all,

we're checking out rehearsal dinner options this weekend. This will be an OOT wedding for most guests, and so we plan to host an event the night before the wedding. The two options that we're playing with are to have a more casual dinner (perhaps a pigroast - with vegetarian/kosher/gluten free options) that all the guests would be invited to, from 6pm onward, or to have a more formal rehearsal dinner (with ~35 guests) followed by welcome drinks from 8-10.

Of the three venues we've identified so far, one would accommodate the first option, and the other two would accommodate the second.

However, with those two, dinner and drinks would be held at the same venue. I'm concerned that either dinner may run long, or guests could arrive early for drinks, in which case there could be an awkward transition. And I'd hate to make people feel uncomfortable. Has anyone had a similar progression of dinner to drinks? How did it go? What make it run smoothly, or not? Would option 2 qualify as a tiered event?

Thanks all!! (edited for spelling)

Re: Logistics of welcome drinks following rehearsal dinner

• Options
    bizzy592 said:
    Hi all,

we're checking out rehearsal dinner options this weekend. This will be an OOT wedding for most guests, and so we plan to host an event the night before the wedding. The two options that we're playing with are to have a more casual dinner (perhaps a pigroast - with vegetarian/kosher/gluten free options) that all the guests would be invited to, from 6pm onward, or to have a more formal rehearsal dinner (with ~35 guests) followed by welcome drinks from 8-10.

Of the three venues we've identified so far, one would accommodate the first option, and the other two would accommodate the second.

However, with those two, dinner and drinks would be held at the same venue. I'm concerned that either dinner may run long, or guests could arrive early for drinks, in which case there could be an awkward transition. And I'd hate to make people feel uncomfortable. Has anyone had a similar progression of dinner to drinks? How did it go? What make it run smoothly, or not? Would option 2 qualify as a tiered event?

I was a BM in one wedding where the RD was held in a private room and once that was finished, we joined all of the OOT guests in another room where apps/drinks were taking place (it had already started).  However, a lot of Knotties saw this as a tiered event cos not everyone was invited to the ED.  I saw it as 2 events - the RD and an OOT gathering mainly cos 1. I would never expect an invite to the RD if I wasn't at the rehearsal, and 2. The OOT event could start without the WP.  No one was waiting around for us to finish so they could join us.  However, many could see that as a tiered event.  

Personally, I'd stick with your first option to be safe.  

• Options
    For the night before we did something like option 2.   We had the rehearsal at 5pm.  Dinner was at our rented beach house. It was from immediately after the rehearsal (about 5 min drive from the venue).   We invited all the guests to an open house that started at 8pm.    

The food was ready as soon as we got to the house.  It was set up buffet style.        By the time the other guests arrived we were done with dinner, speeches, giving out gifts, etc.  Since it was an open house people just came and went as they pleased.

The key to it working is having enough time between events.   If you do option 2 then I would try and have them in different rooms.   And make sure at least some of the RD guests are in the other room on time.    We had a good 2+ hours between the two.  Since dinner was ready immediately people ate right away.   We didn't have any delays in ordering and cooking the foods.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We had our rehearsal at 6, and right after headed to our place for a back yard barbeque.  
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    bizzy592 said:
    Hi all,

Your wedding will be formal enough.  Give people a chance to relax and enjoy the pig roast.  Lots of people don't drink alcohol.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    For the night before we did something like option 2.   We had the rehearsal at 5pm.  Dinner was at our rented beach house. It was from immediately after the rehearsal (about 5 min drive from the venue).   We invited all the guests to an open house that started at 8pm.    

The food was ready as soon as we got to the house.  It was set up buffet style.        By the time the other guests arrived we were done with dinner, speeches, giving out gifts, etc.  Since it was an open house people just came and went as they pleased.

The key to it working is having enough time between events.   If you do option 2 then I would try and have them in different rooms.   And make sure at least some of the RD guests are in the other room on time.    We had a good 2+ hours between the two.  Since dinner was ready immediately people ate right away.   We didn't have any delays in ordering and cooking the foods.
    Yes to this! I went to a celebration party for a couple, and they had dinner with their family before the party officially started. It was at a small little bar/restaurant, so the dinner was in the same room as the party. We arrived about half an hour after the party started, and dinner guests were still finishing their meals. I wasn't annoyed or anything, but it was a little weird and I felt like I was intruding on their dinner. If you're doing this, definitely just make sure there is a bit of a buffer between the RD and the welcome party.
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would also be worried about Welcome Drinks guests showing up early while everyone is still eating with option 2.

Either do option 1, or make sure there is time between the two events, or two separate rooms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards