Not Engaged Yet
Options

Freakin' Friday!

WOO HOO! I have so much to talk about today. 

1) My dentist appointment went GREAT! My root canal/tooth is all sealed/filled and I'm good to go! YAYAYAYAYAYAY! 

2) This weekend is going to be amazing! @GoldenPenguin is coming to my house later today and I can't wait to see her! We're going to spend our Friday night hanging out at Wegmans, then watching PLL, and drinking wine. Tomorrow we're heading into the city for pedicures and brunch with @hummingbird125, @buddysmom80, @speakeasy14, @peaseblossom55, and @untouchablets! I predict there will be many mimosas and margaritas drunken :) Sunday I'm hoping to get to the beach with H because it's been a couple weeks since we went last and summer is sadly going to be over soon. 

3) H finished our dresser-turned-TV-stand last night and I am sooooo in love! He did such an amazing job, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! (I picked out the color and suggested he stain the shelves he built a darker color.)

Before ($12.50 at our favorite thrift store): image

During (Middle drawers removed, shelves built):

After: 

And two closeup pics of the detailing (stained shelves, repainted handles, distressing after painting with chalk paint):

Re: Freakin' Friday!

• Options
    @Swazzle I hope you have SO MUCH FUN this weekend with @GoldenPenguin and @hummingbird125 and everyone else!! I wish I was there so I could meet some of those other ladies from NEY for the first time too! Also, I'm so glad your root canal ordeal seems to be over, and your TV stand looks AMAZING!!

P.S. I miss Wegman's. I wish we had them here.

• Options

Sunday we are heading to our first birthing class out of two classes. It's an all day thing and then afterwards we are celebrating DH's bday and @labro's birthday with my family. 
    Oops. I totally forgot we were doing this.....

• Options
    @labro and @southernpeach89 - HAVE THE BEST DAY EVER TOMORROW! I can't wait to see pictures. I know it's going to be perfect and beautiful and YAY! I wish I could be there. Give Ollie a hug from me! 

• Options
    labro said:

Sunday we are heading to our first birthing class out of two classes. It's an all day thing and then afterwards we are celebrating DH's bday and @labro's birthday with my family. 
    Oops. I totally forgot we were doing this.....
  • Options
    @jenjen047 That sounds like such a fun weekend getaway! I hope you have a great time!! Your dinner sounds like what happens whenever H cooks. I like to make recipes, he just grabs whatever he can find and turns it into some sort of usually delicious concoction.

Also, yes, definitely planning on a full shower AW next week!

• Options
    @jenjen047 Enjoy your trip to Vermont with your FI! It sounds like it's going to be a nice trip!
  • Options
    @jenjen047 - Your trip sounds amazing! What part of Vermont are you going to? 

• Options
    @Swazzle we are going to Stowe! My parents have a timeshare up there so they go every summer and I used to go with them when I was younger. It's at the Trapp Family Lodge. Despite going there every summer from age 0-18 I've never seen the Sound of Music. Oops....
  • Options
    @swazzle - I adore that TV stand....seriously you make me want to try my hand at crafting things from the thrift store.  

@labro - I'm so pissed for you regarding the flowers....WTF.  I hope the shower goes well though!

@southernpeach89 - Baby shower for Callie!!!!!!  Excited for you and can't wait for you to AW it.  Also, you don't look ridiculous working out, I know it...cause you look freaking awesome.  You are one fit mommy!

@jenjen047 - Eating out kills our budget too.  Good for you for trying to cut back!  Have fun in Vermont!   

-------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, yesterday did not go well, ya'll.  I was so tired from lack of sleep, then a crazy work day, then seeing a co-worker's new baby and getting all teary, then H hit me with budget talks, then wine = no good.  Hope I do better today.  I need to get back on the exercise train too.  I'll start with coffee for now...

Honestly, I could use some advice on how to get it through to H that he doesn't need to nag me about money all the freaking time...or I just need to vent if anything else.  I was going to give him some checks to deposit today (we don't have a bank near me that I can bank at) and asked him to pull half the money I was going to deposit for (1) a set cost we agreed on and (2) $100 so I don't have to keep paying ATM fees for cash this month and he's all "well, it isn't free money just because you found checks".  I also asked him what he wanted from the store today and he kept asking me "well what are you getting at the store, don't buy anything".  I seriously want to cry guys....I know he doesn't mean to be so nagging but the consent digs about money are just irritating and frustrating.  Any advice? I know I'm sensitive about the money topic and he's on a "money saving" obsession right now but we are butting heads despite my attempts at setting up bi-weekly budget talks, meal planning and telling him he needs to back off.   And H is really great guy and just wants us to be able to retire early.  His heart is in the right place and I tell him that but the constant nagging despite trying to establish boundaries is getting to me.  Ok, I'm sorry...I'm done.  Please don't quote, I may delete later.  I just think I need girlfriends to vent to.

I've got a full day at work today, then some grocery shopping, then cooking.  This weekend we are going to a friend's house for a get together which should be fun.  :)  Sunday we are meal planning...I did SO good last week with our meals.  It lasted us for 11 servings (dinners for H and I Sunday through Wednesday, lunch for H for 2 days and dinner for H last night).  I hope this week goes as well as last.

• Options
    Good morning ladies.

@Swazzle have fun this weekend! I was totally going to skip the birthday party and try to come, however the train was going to be $75 each way and I really can't afford that now :( 

@SouthernPeach89 I don't think I could even crossfit now, never mind pregnant. Major props girl!!

@LaBro I hope Costco gets things right and the shower goes off without a hitch! Have fun!

I am seriously fighting to keep my eyes open right now. I had cheer last night, and when I got home BF was out back on the phone with his mom. They were fighting so I cooked dinner. She is having a terrible time since BF has moved out so they talked it through and I think they are okay. She is coming over for dinner tonight and BF told her we will make more of an effort to see her.

So I get out at noon, I am going to go home and nap! Then I need to go shopping for a gift and get dinner ready for BF's mom to come by for dinner then we will hang with her.

Tomorrow I am going to my cousin's son's first birthday party! He was with us, and turned one when we were in Maine, and it was adorable watching him open gifts and with his smash cake so it should be fun. 

Other than that, we have no plans for the rest of the weekend. We are going to clean up the house a bit, but also just relax because it's the last free weekend we have until mid September, so we are going to enjoy it!
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    @Jenjen047 My best friend's family owns a school in Stowe! I love hearing of people going there. Have fun!!

@minskat30 I don't have any advise but I can offer *hugs*. BF and I are having these same conversations, although saving for different reasons. I feel you hun, and the best thing is to just keep the communication open. 
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    @swazzle yay for a great dentist visit! 
    You guys are so crafty and thrifty- your TV stand looks great. That is the same exact dresser I had in my bedroom growing up! That would be crazy if it really was THE EXACT one.

@southernpeach89 @labro Have so much fun this weekend at the shower and celebrating birthdays! @labro I hope the flowers get there ASAP!

@jenjen047 Have fun in Vermont! I've actually never been.

@minskat30 I'm sorry I don't have any advice- we're not great at having money talks at my house either :(  We don't really have the same views regarding some stuff but we don't nag each other much about money. I'd feel pretty crappy if I was in your situation too

• Options
    It's so hard for me to be productive at work on Fridays. I just think about all the nothing I'm going to do when I get out of work. My boss has been leaving early a lot on Fridays this summer too and it makes me jealous! We'll see if I make it to the mall today to do my return and look for new shoes. 

So either tonight or tomorrow whenever I get to see H I need to talk to him. I'm still pretty irritated that the plans we had for Sunday suddenly don't matter any more because his mom wants to get together Sunday. I'm hoping she doesn't come over to my office today to talk about it because I never committed to going and I don't want to go. H needs to communicate with me more about plans he makes with his parents before consulting me. He'll talk to her and agree to stuff and then I find out the day of that we're supposed to do something with them. It's not fair and I feel he should be asking me before he makes plans like that for the both of us. I know he sometimes just forgets to tell me because we don't get to see each other or talk much. I try to call him everyday but I'm at work and he's getting ready for work. I'm just so bitter lately. He doesn't go to a lot of MY family things because of his work schedule- fine, he can't help that...but why do I have to see HIS family whenever he sees them just because I'm around since I have a normal schedule..is that totally mean of me? Ugh. 

• Options

@swazzle I love the TV stand.  I showed H last night your FB picture and said I wanted to do cool things like that.  I can't believe I get to see you tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad the dentist went well too

@minskat30 I'm sorry about the constant money talks from H.  Can you guys set up a plan to only talk about money certain days/times of the week? Do you each get your own discretionary money to spend as well?

@jenjen047 Have fun in Vermont this weekend!

@southernpeach89 & @labro Have fun at the couple's shower.  I can't wait to see pictures!

I am pretty excited for this weekend.  Tonight I have no plans other than as much studying as possible.  Last night I got another shipment of clothes from Thred Up and I loved all but one dress. 

Tomorrow I am meeting @buddysmom80 @swazzle @hummingbird125 @speakeasy14 @untouchablets & @GoldenPenguin for brunch in the city. I am so excited I could cry.  Not sure what my plans are that evening, some friends wanted to go to carnival that night but I probably won't want to go.

Sunday H & I are going into the city to see An American in Paris on Broadway.  I am very excited.  I love this move.  This was a gift from our anniversary.  We should be home in time to catch the season finale for True Dectective.  I'm curious to see how it all wraps up.

Monday I am off from work because it's my birthday.  No real plans honestly.  I need to get to the veggie market and then to Sephora at the mall.  I'm out of eye liner and eye shadow primer.   I don't even know if H has off or not.  I'm hoping he will want to take me out to dinner though at one of my favorite restaurants.  We will see. 

Anniversary

• Options
    Have fun tonight @speakeasy14

@minskat30 I'm glad he apologized and hopefully he will truly be better about nagging you. H used to never apologize for stuff when he was clearly in the wrong and it pissed me off. We are both much better now at recognizing when we're wrong and apologizing. It's a great feeling!

• Options
    Wow everyone's weekend sounds fun! :D

Last night did groceries and bank drop. The teller - who is also our financial adviser - was going through the cheques, and was like "You just got married, didn't you?" I laughed and said, Saturday. "The cheques were a give away"
    AHAHAHAHA!!
    Made appt for next week to speak with someone since we're looking at going forward with potentially buying a house in the relatively near future.

Under budget for groceries, perfect! Then just lounged all night. Matt bought "farm simulator" and I kept bugging him. He's originally from country area, and sometimes his Canadian/Country accent comes out.
    He kept pronouncing "potatoes" as "podehtos"
    I am a hilarious wife :)

Tonight he's going to football game with his step dad, and I've scheduled a massage for myself. At some point this weekend we're doing a Rib Fest, and I'm gonna do some shopping and visit my nana with some wedding photos.

Hair cut next week!! It's for Thursday, so I'll show you guys some before and after shots :) I'll be glad when it's gone, seriously
  • Options
    @minskat30 I'm glad he apologized, now back to my advice of puppy snuggles.

@lavenderfields13 definitely talk to him. Just explain what is bothering you.  He probably isn't even aware that he is upsetting you. 
  • Options
    @minskat30 That's really rough and I 100% understand where you are coming from. H is extremely strict about money too and constantly stresses over spending, do we need this, do we need that? etc. We just started using the You Need a Budget App a couple months ago and I think that has helped things a bit. We both have designated amounts we get each month to spend at will outside of the normal groceries/bills/gas/eating out/etc. Sometimes H makes comments about my spending that I take really personally and finally we had to have a conversation (and it wasn't easy) about how that made me feel. It was never intentional from him and I hope it isn't from your H either but I think it showed him he needed to lighten up a bit. YNAB isn't free, it's like $60 for the license, but it's a one time deal.

Anyway, what I like about it is it's a real time easy to access view of our spending habits, where we have budget left in the month,  and where we don't. There's also Mint.com but I like YNAB more for showing a month to month "this is what we want to spend" sort of view.

Anyway, I just want to offer all the hugs! Having this budget app on our phones has helped a bit, but I'd still say that money is the biggest challenge in our marriage because I'm a spender and he's a saver. But setting visible limits (and also have visible allowances) definitely helps.

• Options
    @peaseblossom55 - Thank you.  We did set up our time to discuss it and I already asked him to just discuss it with me at our meetings.  H has zero filter though so if it comes into his mind, it comes out of his mouth...that is a trait I both love and hate sometimes. We don't have discretionary money in the sense of pulling cash for the week and just not pestering about it.  I'm thinking of implementing it though and told H as much.  

@lavenderfields13 - H is very good about apologizing and meaning it. He gets that what he is doing is not constructive but he can't seem to help himself sometimes (I told him to keep trying).   
  • Options
    @minskat30 that sucks  I'm the saver and the budgeter in the family.  H is pretty good about money though.  It helps that we have a joint savings and checking and we each have our own personal checking and savings accounts. It can be annoying to have so many accounts but whatever he does with his own money after bills and savings is his own thing and vice versa.  That helps too,  Sometimes the bigger the picture is easier to deal with.

Anniversary

• Options
    minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    @labro - Thank you.  I'm going to suggest that app to H this upcoming Thursday (our budget meeting).  We are on Mint now.  I KNOW H isn't doing this on purpose. And I know I'm sensitive about money discussions.  I grew up pretty poor though my family tried to "keep up with the Joneses".  H grew up with a family that had money but saved as if they didn't.  Complete opposites pretty much.  

@speakeasY14 - Rajah agrees with your puppy snuggling suggestions.  :)
  • Options
    @jenjen047 - That's awesome! I've been there once years ago and I loved it. Have a blast!

@minskat30 - I think the best way to handle that is to sit down, tell him that your feelings are hurt, and come up with a course of action together. Saving is great but saving every. single. penny. and not enjoying life is stressful and boring! Life is short.  --- Just read your update. I'm so glad you talked to him and are feeling better!

@caseface5 - We will miss you this weekend! 

@speakeasy14 - I can't wait to meet you IRL tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

@Peaseblossom55 - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    @swazzle - That's great news about your dentis appt. Yay! Also, I <3 Wegmans. And your new dresser-turned-TV stand. I especially love the wood detail your DH added. That makes it really stand out to me!

@minskat30 - Financial discussions are the worst. I think you should sit down with H and tell him that you understand his financial goals and you will try to do your best to reach those, but that as a grown woman, it is offending you to be constantly reminded about when and where you can spend money. DH and I are 5 years into combined finances and we are still having talks like this, though I think our last one (last week) was a breakthrough for both of us. So just keep having them until you're on the same page! (oops, I see now that you already had the conversation... good for you!!)

@peaseblossom55 - I am so jealous that you get to see all those lovely ladies tomorrow!

-----

Today is just not my day. I went to CF this morning and while the workout was pretty good, my legs are DEAD from the last three days. I also have a tickle in my throat that I hope isn't going to turn into me getting sick.

To top it all off, while I was putting leftover pizza in a baggie for lunch, I dropped it face down on the floor. I was so upset about that that I failed to notice it had hit my white pants on the way down... so I definitely have some nice reddish-orange streaks going down my leg. UGH. 

Luckily when I got to work there was an email from a co-worker that she had chocolate mini donuts at her desk... so today I'll have a bagel and those for breakfast, Coke for a snack and pizza for lunch. #HealthyEatingFail

Tonight we have dinner with friends, tomorrow will be relaxing and cleaning the house, tomorrow night fun with the Tuarceathas, and Sunday will be relaxing. Woot. 6 more days of work until vacation!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    @jenna8984 I am NOT a camping/outdoorsy kind of girl but I think I could handle the tent outside of someone's house too lol. My friends used to get a big group together every summer to go camping in NH. Every year they'd ask if I was going and every year I'd say "NOPE".

@speakeasy14 The thing is he knows I don't really enjoy spending time with his mom. Sometimes I feel like such an awful person. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards