Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids dresses agreed upon...now what?

Sooo before I start I just want to clarify that I discussed the budget for the dresses, and everyone approved of the style and price. It's a strapless, floral patterned floor length gown, so not much room for variations.

I'm just confused as to what comes next. We were only able to try on the bridesmaids dresses at one local store that had them. However, I was not thrilled with the customer service or location of that store. However, I LOVE the salon where I ordered my gown from, so my sister (and bridesmaid) was saying that I could get that store to order my bridesmaid dresses (even though they don't normally carry this brand). The girls would get alterations included at this salon, or they'd get 15% off if they bring it somewhere else to get altered (which would probably be easier for my 2 out of state BMs).

Sorry if that was long winded but now I'm wondering what the next steps are for me and my girls. Like do I send out an email with all the dress info and the bridal salon to order them at? Or do I ask for their measurements and order them all in one shot? Or should I go with the local girls to get measured there and place the order even though they won't have the dresses in until they're ordered?

I hope this isn't a silly question and that what I'm asking makes sense. My wedding is in May and I just want to be on top of things! Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Bridesmaids dresses agreed upon...now what?

• jm5292016 said:
    Sooo before I start I just want to clarify that I discussed the budget for the dresses, and everyone approved of the style and price. It's a strapless, floral patterned floor length gown, so not much room for variations. I'm just confused as to what comes next. We were only able to try on the bridesmaids dresses at one local store that had them. However, I was not thrilled with the customer service or location of that store. However, I LOVE the salon where I ordered my gown from, so my sister (and bridesmaid) was saying that I could get that store to order my bridesmaid dresses (even though they don't normally carry this brand). The girls would get alterations included at this salon, or they'd get 15% off if they bring it somewhere else to get altered (which would probably be easier for my 2 out of state BMs). Sorry if that was long winded but now I'm wondering what the next steps are for me and my girls. Like do I send out an email with all the dress info and the bridal salon to order them at? Or do I ask for their measurements and order them all in one shot? Or should I go with the local girls to get measured there and place the order even though they won't have the dresses in until they're ordered? I hope this isn't a silly question and that what I'm asking makes sense. My wedding is in May and I just want to be on top of things! Thanks in advance! :)
    Just make sure they each have the information about what dress it is and let them order the dresses on their own from where they like.

• Well you can just provide the information for the dress and let your BMs decide where they want to order them from.  You may not have liked the customer service or location of the one place but you aren't the one ordering the dresses.

And for your OOT BMs they could easily order the dress at a salon near where they live, which will be easier on them in regards to alterations and picking up the dress.  They don't all have to order from the exact same place.

And you don't have to go with them for them to place the order.  Just ask the two shops the deadline of when the orders need to be placed, pass that along to your friends, and then the ball is in their court.

• First, do you know for sure that the salon you like will actually do this?  Or is your sister just suggesting you ask?  I don't think I've heard of a salon being able to order dresses from a designer they do not already carry, but that could definitely be the case for you.  I would just make 100% sure first.  

Once that is figured out, I think you should just email all of the info on where to order to your BMs, along with the deadline as stipulated by the store (as the last date to order the dresses without incurring a rush fee to get them by the wedding).  If your wedding is in May, that is a ways away.  Your BMs can then get measured and place their orders on their own time.  Most salons will require all of your BMs to get their orders in before they submit them to the designer, so that they are all cut at the same time.  So, the store should definitely have your info as the bride, as well as the number of BMs that will be ordering.

Once you have all the info sent out, trust that your BMs will take care of getting their dresses in time.  They have literally months to do it, so don't get concerned if they don't all order right away.

• I'd give them the option from either ordering from the salon you visited, or the salon where you got the dress. They can make the decision. When they go in to order the dress, the salon will take the measurements. Or they can have their measurements taken and call it in to the salon. Just give them a deadline to order, and they should all be able to handle the rest themselves. 
  • My size could change a  lot between now and May.  Hell, one of your bridesmaids can find out she's pregnant and give birth by May.  Give them the information they need about the style and let them order it themselves.  I'd find a way to let each person order on her own timeline rather than having to wait for the last person to submit her size before ordering all the dresses together.
  • adk19 said:
    My size could change a  lot between now and May.  Hell, one of your bridesmaids can find out she's pregnant and give birth by May.  Give them the information they need about the style and let them order it themselves.  I'd find a way to let each person order on her own timeline rather than having to wait for the last person to submit her size before ordering all the dresses together.
    This is a great point and a word of caution against ordering too early, speaking from experience.  My bridesmaids ordered dresses in February for my upcoming October wedding, because I was OMG SO EXCITED and am the person who needs to be on top of everything (been planning for 2 years).  Had I read more stories about the dangers of ordering too soon on these boards, I would have just waited.  The dresses arrived in June.  My MOH ended up getting a stomach ulcer (not from planning my shower, promise lol) in May and has lost like 2 dress sizes - and is also now eating healthier and working out, so her body has changed a lot.  (She is totally fine now, BTW.)  Her dress needs a good amount of alterations.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but a lot can happen in 10 months.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards