Wedding Party

Bridesmaids but no groomsmen, WHAT TO DO?

Hi everyone, I need some help with how to set up my wedding party for walking down the isle, and for standing up with my fiance and I. My fiance was going to have his best friend as his best man and nephew as his Jr. Groomsman (he is only 10). But now things have kind of went south with him and his friend, and I’m not sure they will work it out. With that being said, I have my best friend as my maid of honor, mine and my fiance’s sisters as bridesmaids (total of 2; one his and one mine), his daughter as the Jr Bridesmaid (11 years old), and I have my cousin as my flower girl. So with having 5 girls to one boy, I’m not sure how to have the girls set up for down the isle or how/where to stand up front with us. I know I will have the Jr. Bridesmaid/Groomsman walk down together, and my flower girl is going to walk down with my dog, but for the 2 bridesmaid and my maid of honor, I’m totally in a loss of what to do. I can’t or would never take my girls out of the wedding party. I have a feeling this is a very unique situation, and I’m not sure if many, or anyone, has encountered this before, but any suggestions or input would be much appreciated. 
I should also add that the ceremony is unformal, very small wedding with maybe 30 guest, all being close family members, it is being held on my grandparents property in the country. 
Thank you! 

Re: Bridesmaids but no groomsmen, WHAT TO DO?

• Your BMs can walk down the aisle single file.  Then they can stand up next to you the whole time or you can have them sit down in the front row.

Your groom and his one groomsman (get rid of the Jr part because it is really unnecessary...same with the Jr BM) can walk in together from the side and wait at the front of the aisle while all the girls walk down.

And how old is your flower girl?  Because depending on your dog and how well behaved he/she is your flower girl may not to be able to easily control your dog if for some reason he/she gets spooked or decides that a squirrel running across the lawn is more interesting then your wedding. Unless of course you would like a video or picture of your dog dragging your cousin across the lawn.

• LOL, that last part made me laugh. My cousin is 6 years old, but my dog is pretty well behaved and she is a 40 pound lazy bulldog, last thing she wants to do is run :-)
    But I do like the idea of getting rid of the "Jr". I always thought it was the thing to do when they are only 10 and 11. 
  • Agree. Drop the junior.

It's fine if you have all your girls on your side and he has his nephew on his side.
    Sides don't need to be even.

And the bridesmaids can all walk in and out by themselves or with another bridesmaid. No right or wrong here.

Also, sides don't have to be segregated by gender. You could always ask his sister and daughter if they'd like to stand next to your FI at the ceremony.
  • LOL, that last part made me laugh. My cousin is 6 years old, but my dog is pretty well behaved and she is a 40 pound lazy bulldog, last thing she wants to do is run :-)
    But I do like the idea of getting rid of the "Jr". I always thought it was the thing to do when they are only 10 and 11. 
    Yeah I don't know why putting Jr in front of the title began to be a thing.  I mean people can tell just by looking at them that they aren't adults/they are kids so putting the Jr is like being Capt Obvious LOL!

• Lose the "junior" bridesmaids and groomsmen, because the only things adult attendants can do that minors can't are sign your license as a witness, legally drink, and legally enter adult establishments. 

As for uneven sides, they do not have to be even.  Bridesmaids and groomsmen do not have to be paired off together.  It's okay to have more on one side than the other, or to have attendants of the opposite sex.

I also would not have your dog at your ceremony.  Regardless of how well behaved your dog is the rest of the time, its needs to be fed, walked, and sleep on schedule can't be neglected for your wedding, and even if your dog doesn't like to run, she can bother allergic guests, urinate or defecate in the wrong place and at the wrong time, sniff people, or otherwise behave in undesirable ways at your wedding.  Not to mention, your dog might not be able to handle lots of unfamiliar people around her.

• JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I'd skip the gender segregation. Maybe have them all all walk down single file, or in pairs, but have his sister, daughter, and nephew stand on his side, and your sister and best friend on your side. 

aurianna - I didn't see she had already suggested this on first read!
  • Hi everyone, I need some help with how to set up my wedding party for walking down the isle, and for standing up with my fiance and I. My fiance was going to have his best friend as his best man and nephew as his Jr. Groomsman (he is only 10). But now things have kind of went south with him and his friend, and I’m not sure they will work it out. With that being said, I have my best friend as my maid of honor, mine and my fiance’s sisters as bridesmaids (total of 2; one his and one mine), his daughter as the Jr Bridesmaid (11 years old), and I have my cousin as my flower girl. So with having 5 girls to one boy, I’m not sure how to have the girls set up for down the isle or how/where to stand up front with us. I know I will have the Jr. Bridesmaid/Groomsman walk down together, and my flower girl is going to walk down with my dog, but for the 2 bridesmaid and my maid of honor, I’m totally in a loss of what to do. I can’t or would never take my girls out of the wedding party. I have a feeling this is a very unique situation, and I’m not sure if many, or anyone, has encountered this before, but any suggestions or input would be much appreciated. 
    I should also add that the ceremony is unformal, very small wedding with maybe 30 guest, all being close family members, it is being held on my grandparents property in the country. 
    Thank you! 

Your situation is not unique, you just need to be able to think outside of the Wedding Industrial Complex box.  People can walk side by side down an aisle even if they have the same genitalia.  They can walk single file or they can walk two by two.  And it doesn't matter where they stand or if they sit when they get up front.  Though I like the idea of his family standing on his side and your family standing on yours.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Though, I'd still ask at least his daughter if she'd like to stand on his side, rather than telling her she's standing on his side.

She's young enough "the bride" might still have the princess allure and she'll want to stand with you / you asked her to be a bridesmaid and it could unintentionally hurt her feelings and make her feel like you're kicking her out if you tell her to stand on her dad's side.

The sides don't have to be even.
    4 on your side 1 on his, 3 on your side, 2 on his... whatever it's all fine.
  • Jen4948 said:

Lose the "junior" bridesmaids and groomsmen, because the only things adult attendants can do that minors can't are sign your license as a witness, legally drink, and legally enter adult establishments. 

As for uneven sides, they do not have to be even.  Bridesmaids and groomsmen do not have to be paired off together.  It's okay to have more on one side than the other, or to have attendants of the opposite sex.

I also would not have your dog at your ceremony.  Regardless of how well behaved your dog is the rest of the time, its needs to be fed, walked, and sleep on schedule can't be neglected for your wedding, and even if your dog doesn't like to run, she can bother allergic guests, urinate or defecate in the wrong place and at the wrong time, sniff people, or otherwise behave in undesirable ways at your wedding.  Not to mention, your dog might not be able to handle lots of unfamiliar people around her.

If it's a small 30 person wedding I'm guessing OP has already made sure guests aren't allergic and since it's all close family they've probably all met the dog. As for the text I made bold, human guests can do this too... especially behave in undesirable ways... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited September 2015
    Jen4948 said:

Lose the "junior" bridesmaids and groomsmen, because the only things adult attendants can do that minors can't are sign your license as a witness, legally drink, and legally enter adult establishments. 

If it's a small 30 person wedding I'm guessing OP has already made sure guests aren't allergic and since it's all close family they've probably all met the dog. As for the text I made bold, human guests can do this too... especially behave in undesirable ways... 
    You don't know this for sure, and whether or not human guests do it is besides the point.  In no way does it justify dogs doing this to human wedding guests.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited September 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

You don't know this for sure, and whether or not human guests do it is besides the point.  In no way does it justify dogs doing this to human wedding guests.
    And you don't know that she didn't... My point was just that sure a dog can be misbehaved at a wedding but so can humans (and I can think of a lot more ways humans can cause issues) so not including a family member for that reason is foolish. If you know your dog can't handle a crowd then you shouldn't bring them for their own well being. If you know someone in your guest list is allergic then you need to make a call on who you'd rather be there. Animals are family members too so you shouldn't not include them if you want to because they could cause an issue. 

OP you know your dog and your guest list best so as long as your dog will be taken care of during the wedding I think it's great that she will be there. 

Sorry, but human needs trump the presence of animals.  The needs of any human guest not to have a dog jumping on them, licking them, sniffing them, or any other unwanted contact need to take priority over the dog being a "family member." If you care enough about a human to put them on your guest list, you owe them the courtesy of not having to be exposed to your dog.

And if they're really close friends or relatives, I think they need to take even more priority over the dog.  For example, my mom is highly allergic to anything with fur or feathers.  I would love to have a dog, but there is no way I should be expected to "make a call on who I'd rather be there" in her case. 

• Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

And you don't know that she didn't... My point was just that sure a dog can be misbehaved at a wedding but so can humans (and I can think of a lot more ways humans can cause issues) so not including a family member for that reason is foolish. If you know your dog can't handle a crowd then you shouldn't bring them for their own well being. If you know someone in your guest list is allergic then you need to make a call on who you'd rather be there. Animals are family members too so you shouldn't not include them if you want to because they could cause an issue. 

OP you know your dog and your guest list best so as long as your dog will be taken care of during the wedding I think it's great that she will be there. 

Sorry, but human needs trump the presence of animals.  The needs of any human guest not to have a dog jumping on them, licking them, sniffing them, or any other unwanted contact need to take priority over the dog being a "family member." If you care enough about a human to put them on your guest list, you owe them the courtesy of not having to be exposed to your dog.

And if they're really close friends or relatives, I think they need to take even more priority over the dog.  For example, my mom is highly allergic to anything with fur or feathers.  I would love to have a dog, but there is no way I should be expected to "make a call on who I'd rather be there" in her case. 

I disagree, there's no reason a human should be put over an animal. If guests know there is going to be a dog and they don't want to get jumped on (which not all dogs do) they can choose to not come or to stay away from the dog. It's not a summons and I'm not subjecting them to the dog. Being on my guest list is saying that I want them to be there but if they don't want to see my dog then they are choosing to remove themselves.

I'm sorry you want a dog but can't have one but its not that you don't have to make the call it's that you did and chose not to have a dog. Which I understand, clearly it'd be harder to decide between a dog and your mother than a dog and great aunt sally who you've met once. There is nothing wrong with making sure all your VIPs are comfortable and then anyone else is informed there will be a dog and letting them make the call. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lnixon8 said:
    LOLing at the notion that humans guests might urinate or defecate in the wrong place at the wrong time. 
    And sniff people!! LOL
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

I disagree, there's no reason a human should be put over an animal. If guests know there is going to be a dog and they don't want to get jumped on (which not all dogs do) they can choose to not come or to stay away from the dog. It's not a summons and I'm not subjecting them to the dog. Being on my guest list is saying that I want them to be there but if they don't want to see my dog then they are choosing to remove themselves.

I'm sorry you want a dog but can't have one but its not that you don't have to make the call it's that you did and chose not to have a dog. Which I understand, clearly it'd be harder to decide between a dog and your mother than a dog and great aunt sally who you've met once. There is nothing wrong with making sure all your VIPs are comfortable and then anyone else is informed there will be a dog and letting them make the call. 
    This is bullshit.  If you invite human guests, they have every right to expect their basic human needs to be attended to, one of which is that animals do not bother them.  Sorrynotsorry, but the needs of human beings come first at a wedding.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited September 2015

This is bullshit.  If you invite human guests, they have every right to expect their basic human needs to be attended to, one of which is that animals do not bother them.  Sorrynotsorry, but the needs of human beings come first at a wedding.
    When did this become a basic need? 

My dog is family. She won't be at my wedding because she's not good with crowds, but if she was, I'd simply let my guests know that the event may have dogs, and to be aware in case of allergies - knowing that my VIPs would be fine with it, because they're all fine in places with dogs. If any other guest declined, that would be their choice, and I'd understand just as I would understand any other reason for declining. 
    CElizabeth419 for being reasonable. Clearly you're an example of a responsible owner who loves yet understands her dogs needs :)

Not every dog should be invited to a wedding but if your dog is OK with crowds and will be properly cared for and your VIPs are ok with them there is no reason that they shouldn't be invited because one human guest doesn't like dogs.Jen4948, clearly it's not a good fit for you. If you want to suggest to people things they should consider about having their dog there fine but don't tell people that they shouldn't be there when you know nothing of the dog, humans, or situation.

I have never said that I would tell anyone not to be there.  In fact, that's what you're suggesting people do with people who for whatever reason don't wish to be in the presence of a dog.

And the bolded is something you fucking don't know and are not qualified to judge.  It's not up to you to decide if I am or am not a good fit for a dog.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited September 2015
    Soooo...from this thread, I have gathered that Jen personally knows this dog and/or every dog ever and she has also decided that not being sniffed by a dog is now a "basic human need". Is that more or less important than shelter or water, Jen?

Seriously - 

Ah, you are the one grasping at straws.  I do think safety comes first, and safety includes protection from animals. 

Do you personally know this animal, or every other animal on the face of the earth? 

Do you ever disagree with anyone without having to post a snarky .gif?

I thought not.

• PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015
    While I agree that you shouldn't have your dog in the ceremony if one of your VIPs is allergic, I see nothing wrong with having a dog in the ceremony if that's what the couple wants.

Saying that everyone should not have dogs/animals in their wedding ceremony because a guest could be allergic is a bit extreme to me.

It's like saying that no one should get married outside because one of the guests may have outdoor allergies.

• >>>>>>>>Your BMs can walk down the aisle single file.  Then they can stand up next to you the whole time or you can have them sit down in the front row.

Your groom and his one groomsman (get rid of the Jr part because it is really unnecessary...same with the Jr BM) can walk in together from the side and wait at the front of the aisle while all the girls walk down.<<<<<<<</div>

And how old is your flower girl?  Because depending on your dog and how well behaved he/she is your flower girl may not to be able to easily control your dog if for some reason he/she gets spooked or decides that a squirrel running across the lawn is more interesting then your wedding. Unless of course you would like a video or picture of your dog dragging your cousin across the lawn.
    ----preemptive box----

I second the arrowed. (On mobile, can't bold). This isn't done so much anymore, but it used to be super common.

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2015
  • Thank you everyone for the advice on the form of what do with the bridesmaids but no groomsmen, it really does help. I will have to have the girls stand in different spots during rehearsal and see what we all like the best :-)
    And in the case of the dog issue, EVERYONE that is invited to the wedding currently has a dog, or has had a dog in the last few years. Also, I believe everyone that is coming has met this dog at least once, maybe only 2-4 people have not met her, and no one has ever had an issue with her. She is a very well behaved dog, and she is my baby. One thing I will NOT do, is not have her in my wedding.  
  • Thank you everyone for the advice on the form of what do with the bridesmaids but no groomsmen, it really does help. I will have to have the girls stand in different spots during rehearsal and see what we all like the best :-)
    And in the case of the dog issue, EVERYONE that is invited to the wedding currently has a dog, or has had a dog in the last few years. Also, I believe everyone that is coming has met this dog at least once, maybe only 2-4 people have not met her, and no one has ever had an issue with her. She is a very well behaved dog, and she is my baby. One thing I will NOT do, is not have her in my wedding.  
    Just asking, but has your dog been around this many people at once? I don't know who it was, but I remember reading a story on here about someone who's dog was great with people and all that jazz, but when the wedding happened he freaked out, peed on the brides dress, and bit someone. Just a warning more for the comfort of your dog.
    Just asking, but has your dog been around this many people at once? I don't know who it was, but I remember reading a story on here about someone who's dog was great with people and all that jazz, but when the wedding happened he freaked out, peed on the brides dress, and bit someone. Just a warning more for the comfort of your dog.
    That would a nightmare... but yes my dog has before. She has been to a huge dog gala event put on by the Humane Society, hunderds of people and other dogs at the event. She did just fine. Just sat by me and my mom the whole time. Also we take her to the Pet Stores, and even The Home Depot, and around strangers, she is great. Just likes to be pet for a few seconds, then she is on her way. She is a English Bulldog, not sure if you have ever met one, but their personalities are something... LOL
    That would a nightmare... but yes my dog has before. She has been to a huge dog gala event put on by the Humane Society, hunderds of people and other dogs at the event. She did just fine. Just sat by me and my mom the whole time. Also we take her to the Pet Stores, and even The Home Depot, and around strangers, she is great. Just likes to be pet for a few seconds, then she is on her way. She is a English Bulldog, not sure if you have ever met one, but their personalities are something... LOL
    Okay, just making sure. I've heard horror stories and didn't want it to happen to you or your dog.

I've never met an English Bulldog, but I can guess. I had a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever who was the most difficult dog in the world. In the best way possible :). Sadly she passed away a few weeks ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards