Chit Chat
Options

Large dog owners?

Anyone else have a large dog? I just need to commiserate. We have an English Mastiff, Britney. She's a total 150 pound sweetheart. My husband had her as a puppy, so before me, but I absolutely love her now. At 7, she's the perfect dog. Doesn't need much exercise, can hold her bladder forever, doesn't bark/chew/etc.

The only issue? Finding a place to live! My husband had a rental house before that was fine, but not in a desired area, and now the apartment we are in accepts her, but we've outgrown it. We're looking to rent a house to give us one more year to save before buying and it is so frustrating!!! Places either hear "mastiff" and equate her to bull mastiffs which can require extra insurance, or just hear "large" and say they only accept small dogs. I get it, I do, it's just so frustrating because she will truly do no damage!!

Anyone else?

And yes, here she is, in all her slobbery glory : )

Re: Large dog owners?

• Options
    Ugh I hear ya. We've also had a hard time with our American bulldog and rentals. And I don't know why but some people incorrectly believe that American bulldog = pit bull which people don't like. 

My Edna sounds similar to yours - really an easy and easy to care for dog. The worst thing she'd do to a property is slobber on the walls. BFD. I clean the walls more often than most people.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    What a sweetie :)

We had to move into a temporary rental when our house was being built.  Thankfully, my old boss had an opening come available last minute in one of his rentals that he let us have (with no deposits or anything!) but before that I was in a bit of panic mode because we have 2 dogs, one of which is a 60-65lb basset hound.  Now, our old guy is pretty much the easiest dog ever... biggest issue with him is his shedding (which is easily remedied by good brushing and vacuuming).  Many places I called gave me the same thing you're getting... for 10 year old BASSET HOUND.   

I would maybe try to avoid anything managed by a management company, I've found in the past that landlords who are renting out their own places are a bit easier to work with.  Another thought is to see if your current place will write a letter saying that he's been a good dog etc?

Good luck :)

ETA, our other dog is a younger basset hound, but at the time she was under 40lbs so most places had no issue with her.  And SHE'S the annoying one... barks more, needs way more exercise, still chews on stuff if we don't keep an eye on her, etc.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options

It wouldn't let me add a file to my first post but here's my slobbery mess. And picture me saying "ooooh what a pretty girl" in my dog voice to yours. 

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    She's adorable! And yep. We have two dogs and one is big. When we moved here we wanted a rental house that had a yard (a bit hard to find in this area) and then we needed them to accept dogs (some places would only accept 1 dog) and then we needed them to accept a big dog (a lot of places had a 50 lb weight limit and our big guy is 80). 

I got tons of questions about how aggressive he is. Well, my little shrimpy beagle is way more likely to get aggressive than big dog. She's a firecracker and he's just a giant teddy bear. So why does his size automatically mean he's gonna be aggressive? 

I even had one guy say to me, "This is a small dog neighborhood." Um... what? The whole neighborhood is only for small dogs? It was frustrating. 

We finally found a house with a huge fenced in yard that fit our budget, and the owner is a dog lover so he had no restrictions. Yay! 

I'm sure the right place is out there for you. It's just gonna take a bit of extra searching. Best of luck! 
  • Options

I bought my house because I had a dog over 50 lbs and another with a back problem (no stairs allowed).

Good luck!!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Loooove Enda! Ironically, Britney's BFF in the yard at our complex (one of few that allows dogs so there are always a lot outside) is an American Bulldog. We take her for overnights occasionally and they are a riot to watch together.

I'm not entirely opposed to buying, but DH feels pretty strong about waiting one more year. We'd like to have a large down payment, and he has some bad financial history we're hopefully correcting so we feel like we're just better off waiting. I definitely can't wait to just buy and have her not be an issue!!
  • Options
    Ugh, that's frustrating. Our dog isn't large, but he is half American Staffordshire Terrier (aka "pit bull"), so we anticipate having issues when we move, if we rent again. When we wanted to get a dog, our landlord told us no German shepherds, rottweilers, pit bulls, or dobermans. But when we got our dog they told us that he was a lab/hound mix. So if our landlord ever sees him, we will produce the paperwork that says he is a lab/hound. He's only 45lbs though, so still small enough that he's not in the large dog category.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a 73 lbs English Bulldog.   While he is 73lbs, he  has pretty short legs.   We also have a 73 lb german shepard mix who is bigger (the bulldog can walk under him).

Finding places are hard sometimes.     I know people who have little dogs who are more destructive, so it's really annoying when people put limits on the size of a dog.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Ugh, that's frustrating. Our dog isn't large, but he is half American Staffordshire Terrier (aka "pit bull"), so we anticipate having issues when we move, if we rent again. When we wanted to get a dog, our landlord told us no German shepherds, rottweilers, pit bulls, or dobermans. But when we got our dog they told us that he was a lab/hound mix. So if our landlord ever sees him, we will produce the paperwork that says he is a lab/hound. He's only 45lbs though, so still small enough that he's not in the large dog category.
    When we were looking around for a new place - before we moved into the place we're in now - we encountered so much of this. Our dog is a border collie, lab, German Shepherd, Rottweiler mix, but she's only 41 pounds and all she ever does is lick everyone and try to hold their hand. I just wish people would finally realize it's not the breed - it's the owner!
  • Options
    When we were looking around for a new place - before we moved into the place we're in now - we encountered so much of this. Our dog is a border collie, lab, German Shepherd, Rottweiler mix, but she's only 41 pounds and all she ever does is lick everyone and try to hold their hand. I just wish people would finally realize it's not the breed - it's the owner!
    I am on the board for our HOA and our property management group wanted us to enact a "no pitbulls" policy for our neighborhood.  We quickly shot that down because the little Pomeranian up the street is more of a threat then the 70 pound pitbull that lived next door to us.  The pom would bite the hell out of my ankle while the pit would lick me to death.
    Yep, all our pit mix wants to do is sit on your lap, lick your ears and eat your hair. Whereas BIL's chickens were killed by a pack of chihuahuas. The small dogs are often worse than the big ones.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know you said you've outgrown your current place, but if you're planning on moving in a year anyway, why not just stick it out?  Moving costs money, and it's no fun to move once then move again in another year (I moved twice in this past year, so trust me).  Is it possible to put some of your "stuff" in storage so your current place doesn't feel so small so you can stick it out until you're ready to buy?  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    The last time we moved, it was with my 14 year old 22 lb beastie, so we just had to find a place that was ok with dogs in general.  Thankfully, our landlords LOVE dogs, and are exceptionally cool in general.  They had no issues with the fact that we also had two cats.  Or wanted to get honey bees.  Or wanted to dig a pond in our backyard.  

We now have two 75 lb monsters (that I know add up to your mastiff, which is hilarious) since my beastie died in June 2014, but ours make up 150 lbs of puppy, so that's a trip and a half.  Oh, and now we're getting chickens.

So, no it's not easy, but yes, you can find the right place, for sure!  They're out there!
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    I can't believe the animosity people have to certain dog breeds and just large dogs in general. In my experience the most aggressive dog I knew was very small while some of the sweetest dogs have been 100+ lbs. Of course I've know very sweet small dogs too so I think size is irrelevant.

My FI and I aren't allowed to have dogs at our current apartment (We have a 150 gram hamster :P ) but we plan on getting a rottweiler when we move in the spring. When I told both my mom and my best friend both of their responses were "He better not attack me". I was totally taken back and like of course he's not going to attack you, I plan on training him to be a sweet obedient dog. It makes me so angry that dogs get these stereotypes when in reality poor owners are the ones who cause all of the problems. 

Good luck OP and you're dog is adorable :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you find a private rental, try asking for a pet interview. If the person renting can see for themselves that the dog is chill and not going to be a liability or cause damage, they are more likely to rent to you. It might also help to offer to carry rental insurance that covers the dog. Good luck!
  • Options
    I can't believe the animosity people have to certain dog breeds and just large dogs in general. In my experience the most aggressive dog I knew was very small while some of the sweetest dogs have been 100+ lbs. Of course I've know very sweet small dogs too so I think size is irrelevant.

My FI and I aren't allowed to have dogs at our current apartment (We have a 150 gram hamster :P ) but we plan on getting a rottweiler when we move in the spring. When I told both my mom and my best friend both of their responses were "He better not attack me". I was totally taken back and like of course he's not going to attack you, I plan on training him to be a sweet obedient dog. It makes me so angry that dogs get these stereotypes when in reality poor owners are the ones who cause all of the problems. 

Good luck OP and you're dog is adorable :)
    Ooooo. I want a rottie so bad. But H is more of a small dog person so we're getting something smaller to start with. But yes, they can be so sweet and friendly. It's all in the training and letting them know you're the boss. Of course the same can be said for the breed H and I are looking at getting, Shiba Inu are very independent and need a strong hand or they try to get away with everything.

My Mom sort of reacted the same way when I mentioned wanting a rottweiler, but my grandparent's neighbor had a very poorly behaved rottweiler when I was younger. I vaguely remember the dog, but I think that animal influenced her opinion on the whole breed. And I blame her from my love of rotties, we had all the Carl books when I was growing up and I love them. 
  • Options
    Size limits are dumb. I have a now 97 lb retriever (has hypothyroid). Complete sweetheart- Hasn't gone in the house since she was potty trained at 8 weeks old.. She doesnt chew anything but her toys. Doesn't dig, scratch, bark, or jump. My toddler is far more a liability.

We are about to buy a house since we cant find an apartment in a good neighborhood who will accept large dogs. My friends Chihuahua took a chunk out of my hand the other day- but she's never had an issue bc her dog is small. Makes no sense.

I manage some property for my parents so I get that some won't rent to certain breeds because of insurance- we weren't allowed Rottweiler, German Shepherd, pit bulls, st Bernard and a few other breeds bc of our insurance... I did end up changing companies to one who accepts them bc I would have hated to lose out on a great tenant over a few bucks a year difference.
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    My problem with big dogs is that everyone thinks they're going to be the responsible dog owner who of course trains their dog to never run up and jump on strangers, or growl at them, or try and bit them.

And yet at least once a month a giant dog who is off leash even though we have a leash law runs up and jumps on me, and how am I supposed to know that even though you're an arrogant asshole who is breaking the law little schnuchiepoo would never hurt a fly. I can take down a Pomeranian on the war path, not so much a pitbull.

Not saying I think they should be banned or anything, but that's why I don't like large dogs- I'm already not a dog person and the handful that are threatening are a real problem.
  • Options

Haha. Yea, my sister did exactly this. They adopted a pitt mix, but the shelter just listed the paperwork as some other mix so technically the neighbors can't bitch.

• Options
    This is so frustrating!! And it is exactly why FI and I ended up buying a house instead of trying to rent an apartment. We have 2 pit mixes, which apparently is frowned upon by everybody (even though they are so gentle and sweet). Best of luck to you!

• Options
    Yeah, I bought my house where I live now, but was really nervous about getting insurance since so many people discriminate. I was so relieved when USAA only asked if I had any pets that had ever attacked or bitten anyone.

When FI and I have to move next summer, we'll probably buy again because there's no way were going to find a place in a decent area with a fenced in yard that will rent to a family with a German Shepard, a Pitty, and two cats.

We have been out for walks a few times and people have said some pretty shitty things for no reason. "Is that dog mean?" "No." "He looks mean." Or, "You better hold them dogs!" Bitch, can you not see the leash? We've also had on more than one occasion, small, unleashed digs come running at us snarling with hackles up.one acutely tried to bite our shepard's face. We told our dogs to sit, and they did and FI put himself between our dogs and the chihuahua. Of course the owner came out laughing.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    And since we're sharing, these are my pups. Jaxx is the seal pitt, Annie is the shepard, and the brindle mastiff is our Shrimp, who we lost this past June due to complications from epilepsy and a traumatic brain injury.

• Options
    Look how sweet they are @pinupbride6189 !!! I love them. Wish I could kiss their little faces. Here are my babies. Just proof that big dogs get a bad rap! Rayna (the light one) is mine, and Jackie (dark brown) is FI's

• Options

Look how sweet they are @pinupbride6189 !!! I love them. Wish I could kiss their little faces. Here are my babies. Just proof that big dogs get a bad rap! Rayna (the light one) is mine, and Jackie (dark brown) is FI's

Daw! They look like best friends ever sharing that bed!

• Options
    The Kennel Club has a Canine Ambassador program (or something like that). Mr. Monkey Butt (AKA Maury) is a pittie and made people nervous. From the recommendation of a coworkers H who is a vet, we took him through the classes to get the verification. I forget what it cost but it made people more comfortable with him.

He's the gentlest dog I've ever met and has rarely had accidents since he was trained (basically, only when there's something outside like thunder, lightening, or possums). We own but we want everyone to love him and feel as safe with him as we do.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've never heard any bad comments when I'm out with her, but ridiculous ones all the time. People will literally pull their car over to say "Where's the saddle?" then give a weird chuckle and drive off. 

We also get "how much does she eat?" (not much actually), "how big is her poop?", and "you could ride her" all the time. 

For new people to our complex, who don't know her, they always have a look of terror on their face the first time she starts to head towards their little dog. I can't say I blame them though, she does look scary! But once she gets up to them people quickly realize she's a sweetheart. 
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I don't have a dog, but I have a love affair with all the giant dog breeds. Every time I see one I want it: Great Dane, St. Bernard, Newfoundland, Mastiff, Bernese Mountain Dog... I want them ALL.

Also, I have a friend who is 5 ft tall and has a Great Dane whose back comes up to her chest. She get's the "He's like a horse. Where's the saddle?" comment all the time... The dog does weigh considerably more than she does.

ETF spelling
  • Options
    Update! We found a place!

We took a new strategy of just going to view houses and not just sending a message or asking on the phone if they would accept a large dog.

After seeing the property and expressing interest we threw out the large dog question. One person still rejected it, but the other two asked questions and then allowed it. I do feel like when the new land lady sees the dog she will freak out, but we were very honest about size, weight, and breed. But I think it helped to express her in person, and the people were just more willing to close the deal.
  • Options

My problem with big dogs is that everyone thinks they're going to be the responsible dog owner who of course trains their dog to never run up and jump on strangers, or growl at them, or try and bit them.

And yet at least once a month a giant dog who is off leash even though we have a leash law runs up and jumps on me, and how am I supposed to know that even though you're an arrogant asshole who is breaking the law little schnuchiepoo would never hurt a fly. I can take down a Pomeranian on the war path, not so much a pitbull.

Not saying I think they should be banned or anything, but that's why I don't like large dogs- I'm already not a dog person and the handful that are threatening are a real problem.

But your problem isn't with large dogs, it's with idiot owners who don't keep their shit leashed and properly trained.

Nope. It's with large dogs. I recognize the owners are at fault but I'm not willing to just try my luck with them, and the bad owners aren't forced to wear stickers. In an ideal world maybe I would be fine with large dogs but in this one I'm just not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards