Chit Chat

What shoes do you wear in fall/winter?

edited September 2015 in Chit Chat
Every year I have this internal struggle about what to wear on my feet in the fall/winter. I wear a lot of ballet flats during the spring and summer (or sandals), and I have had a pair of ankle-height boots for the past two years for fall/winter that are just giving out. I'm okay with boots (except the tall ones) with jeans or dresses and tights, but what do you all wear with "work" clothes?

ETA: I live in NY, so it snows and does all that fun stuff in the winter.

Re: What shoes do you wear in fall/winter?

• I usually wear ballet flats in the fall and winter. I wear boots a lot too, but I also wear a lot of dresses and tights even in winter. My work isn't extremely strict about shoes, so we can wear nice sandals in the summer.

• With work clothes I either wear ballet flats, ankle boots, knee high boots, or pumps.  Which I wear depends on the clothing I picked.

When it starts getting super cold, icy, and snowy I wear my Uggs to work and then change into my dressy shoes because I don't feel like slipping on ice or getting snow in my pumps.

• I usually wear ballet flats in the fall and winter. I wear boots a lot too, but I also wear a lot of dresses and tights even in winter. My work isn't extremely strict about shoes, so we can wear nice sandals in the summer.
    I guess I should have clarified where I live, because it snows! I'm not sure if flats are an option, because I haven't tried it for fear or ice-y feet!
    This. I wear boots most days once it gets snowy and icy. I wear dresses or skirts most days and in the winter I find the my fleece lined tights are the warmest.
  • abcdevonn said:
    I usually wear ballet flats in the fall and winter. I wear boots a lot too, but I also wear a lot of dresses and tights even in winter. My work isn't extremely strict about shoes, so we can wear nice sandals in the summer.
    I guess I should have clarified where I live, because it snows! I'm not sure if flats are an option, because I haven't tried it for fear or ice-y feet!
    Oooh yes that makes a difference! Lol! We rarely get snow here so I didn't even think of that. I like Maggie's idea, wear some kind of warm shoes/boots into the building and then change into less practical shoes :)

• So, I drive to work and am only outside walking to my car to/from the house and to/from the office. So mostly it doesnt matter as much haha. I will wear ballet flats in the winter if there isnt a ton of snow. I also dont like to wear high heels TO work in the winter, because I dont like driving in them and dont like walking on ice in them. So I will sometimes just leave nice shoes at work (inside shoes) and wear my yucky boots outside. Then I can change into whatever I feel like at work. But I like wearing tall boots with work clothes (we are pretty casual mind you). A typical outfit with boots would look like image

A skirt, tights and boots, we can wear jeans, so jeans and boots are nice too. A nice sweater or blazer formals up the boots a bit too.  

• I have ones similar to these. They aren't the most fashionable thing ever, but they are more coverage & support than ballet flats and I can wear black socks with them. I get cold so once the summer heat goes away, I need sockies lol

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/Product/52766-1034127/Skechers/Blk+Black/Womens+Girl+Friday+Memory+Foam+Relaxed+Fit+Loafer.aspx

I also have these exct ones, again socks can be worn and they look great over skinny pants

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2099197/so-womens-slouch-ankle-booties.jsp

• I'm really lucky cuz our office is casual, so when it's nasty out I just wear my snow boots to work. Pretty much as soon as it's 60 or colder outside, I only wear boots. I hate having cold feet. 

The few times I had to dress up for work in cold weather, I still wore boots but I wore them with dress pants, kind of like these outfits: 

• Awesome! Thanks guys! I think I just need to get better/different style boot than the ones I had before. I always felt weird about how they looked with my work pants...but I was potentially just being dumb about it.
  • I love this thread.  I need to see more boots.  I LOVE boots!
  • I love this thread.  I need to see more boots.  I LOVE boots!

I was just going to say this. Thanks guy, now I need new boots cuz these are way better looking than mine haha

• I wear flat leather boots most of the time. I used to wear Hunters in the snow when I lived in the city still, but now that I live in the burbs and walk more, I splurged on a pair of Sorels and I never looked back. In fact, I bought 2- one pair of ultra-sturdy snow ones (these, but in a different color http://www.sorel.com/womens-tofino-herringbone-boot-1642811.html?cgid=women&dwvar_1642811_variationColor=231) and one pair of rain/warmer weather ones (these, but not leather- they are black and shiny (http://www.sorel.com/womens-out-n-about-leather-boot-1573351.html?cgid=women&dwvar_1573351_variationColor=286#pg=2&start=7).

I leave random shoes at my office- black heels, brown heels, flats, etc. that I put on once I get here.
  • I'm an outside sales person so I'm in and out of buildings (factories) all day.  I wear riding boots on dry days and my Hunters with wooly socks on wet/snowy days.  I hate, no despise, actually I  loathe wet pant bottoms so I live in dresses or skirts with tights; tunics, sweaters and leggings; or skinny dress pants in the winter.
  • I wear boots, flats, or pumps to work during the winter and it just depends on what i'm doing and wearing that day. I would prefer boots every day.

• sarahufl said:
    I wear flat leather boots most of the time. I used to wear Hunters in the snow when I lived in the city still, but now that I live in the burbs and walk more, I splurged on a pair of Sorels and I never looked back. In fact, I bought 2- one pair of ultra-sturdy snow ones (these, but in a different color http://www.sorel.com/womens-tofino-herringbone-boot-1642811.html?cgid=women&dwvar_1642811_variationColor=231) and one pair of rain/warmer weather ones (these, but not leather- they are black and shiny (http://www.sorel.com/womens-out-n-about-leather-boot-1573351.html?cgid=women&dwvar_1573351_variationColor=286#pg=2&start=7).

I leave random shoes at my office- black heels, brown heels, flats, etc. that I put on once I get here.
    I was JUST looking at Sorel boots. I'm glad to hear they are a hit, because they have such cute styles!
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    I work from home.   Sadly my shoe collection isn't all that good.

Assuming there is no snow I wear my Salomons or the clogs below when I go outside with the dogs. Otherwise I'm pretty much shoeless all day.

If there is snow outside I'm almost exclusively in my Sorel boots.

If I'm going out and it's not too snowy then I'm generally in my Old Gringo cowboy boots.  Although I do have other boots I rotate.

I'm going to NYC next month and I'm hurting for decent shoes to go out in.  Cowboy boots work fine in CO, not as much in NYC.  When I'm in NOLA next week I might hit up the 9 west store to get some half boots.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • abcdevonn said:
    sarahufl said:
    I wear flat leather boots most of the time. I used to wear Hunters in the snow when I lived in the city still, but now that I live in the burbs and walk more, I splurged on a pair of Sorels and I never looked back. In fact, I bought 2- one pair of ultra-sturdy snow ones (these, but in a different color http://www.sorel.com/womens-tofino-herringbone-boot-1642811.html?cgid=women&dwvar_1642811_variationColor=231) and one pair of rain/warmer weather ones (these, but not leather- they are black and shiny (http://www.sorel.com/womens-out-n-about-leather-boot-1573351.html?cgid=women&dwvar_1573351_variationColor=286#pg=2&start=7).

I was JUST looking at Sorel boots. I'm glad to hear they are a hit, because they have such cute styles!
    I bought a pair several years ago and I am OBSESSED with them. They are by far the best quality, sturdiest, most slip-proof winter boots I've ever worn. I've posted this picture before when we've gotten into big Sorel discussions, but here's mine (on my dog, of course, because what else are you supposed to do when you're snowed in and bored?) 
    Omg so freaking adorable!

For everyone who has Sorel boots, have you ever had Bean Boots from LL Bean and are they comparable?
  • abcdevonn said:
    sarahufl said:

I bought a pair several years ago and I am OBSESSED with them. They are by far the best quality, sturdiest, most slip-proof winter boots I've ever worn. I've posted this picture before when we've gotten into big Sorel discussions, but here's mine (on my dog, of course, because what else are you supposed to do when you're snowed in and bored?) 
    They certainly aren't cheap, but a bunch of Knotties convinced me last year and I haven't looked back. They are just SUCH good shoes. Seriously, you can plow through snow and ice in those bad boys with no problem. They are, however, quite heavy and difficult to put on.
  • All of my work shoes live under my desk. I commute in whatever shoes work for the hideous combo of ice and slush we've got and change into, usually, pumps and occasionally flats in the office. No one I know commutes in her work shoes!
  • I have a pair of Cole Haan boots very similar to these, only in all leather (not suede) that I wear a lot in the winter.  http://www.colehaan.com/smithson-bootie-(75mm)-black-suede/W00234.html?dwvar_W00234_color=Black Suede&dwvar_W00234_width=B#cgid=womens_shoes&start=84  

If it's extra snowy or icy though, I wear my knee high low heel boots.  I have both black and brown pairs.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'm a basic bitch, so I pretty much live in either my Uggs or a pair of camel colored "riding" boots.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    sarahufl said:
    abcdevonn said:
    sarahufl said:

They certainly aren't cheap, but a bunch of Knotties convinced me last year and I haven't looked back. They are just SUCH good shoes. Seriously, you can plow through snow and ice in those bad boys with no problem. They are, however, quite heavy and difficult to put on.

I have a pair of Sorel boots s too. I wear them in snow but I agree with the bold. After awhile, my ankle starts to ache. But walking through snow is a breeze in them.
  • edited September 2015
    I change my shoes when I get to work and wear dress flats. I walk to work in an almost knee high pair of Sorels. I hate cold feet and don't care if I look like an Eskimo.
  • I work in NYC, and refuse to wear anything cute on my commute (it includes a race underground from Port Authority to the 1 train, and then another good long walk from the subway to the office). I'll wear sneakers/snow boots/riding boots when I commute, then put on ballet flats or heels in the office if I don't match.
  • Sandals, mostly.  (SoCal)  I hear we're having a big El Nino and we're going to all flood this year, though, so maybe I'll get to wear close-toed shoes for once? 

• edited September 2015
    You guys have me shopping Sorel boots. I have a pair of men's snowmobile boots (yes my feet are that big) that I wear to cold football games but those things weigh like a thousand pounds and are huge and awkward. The rest of the winter I wear Walmart Uggs. I hate them and they are so ugly. 

ETA: I need to know what kind of boots @lovesclimbing wears. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Viczaesar said:
    Sandals, mostly.  (SoCal)  I hear we're having a big El Nino and we're going to all flood this year, though, so maybe I'll get to wear close-toed shoes for once? 
    Hunter boots!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • BOOTS! OMG I'm obsessed with boots. DH thinks I'm crazy because I have so many. My favorites:

I have 4 pairs of the Merrell Captiva line, which are my go-to boots. I have the knee-high (Buckle) in black and brown, and the mid-length (Launch) with the cute back-straps in light tan and black. They're waterproof and have low heels and good treads so they work well in the winter, but are just dressy enough for work.

I also have an awesome pair of Justin cowboy boots I got last time I was in Dallas - the newest and most extravagant addition to my shoe wardrobe. I LOVE them.

I have two pairs of dressier knee-high boots with 2-inch heels from Clarks in black and brown, which I wear with skirts and dresses on occasions when I need to be dressed up a bit for work.

I have a pair of ankle boots (Merrell, again) that are pretty casual that I wear with jeans.

I have Sorel snow boots and Keen insulated winter hiking/snowshoeing boots for SERIOUS SNOW (and we got 7+ ft of it last year, so they came in handy!)
  • In fall I wear flats with bare legs as long as I can get away with it, usually deep into October.  Then I wear boots with bare legs, eventually boots with stockings.  I have a pair of booties but I rarely wear them.  On occasion I'll wear nude stockings with pumps or flats, usually Nov-Mar.  In snow I wear Bean boots or Sorels and change in the office.  When I'm traveling for work and seeing clients my regular mid-calf boots are generally fine in the snow too.  (I wear a skirt or dress almost every day).

Just came across these boots that I'm considering ordering:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards