Favors

Winter wedding favors

Hello knotties!

To be completely honest, FI were struggling with the idea of wedding favors and whether or not to have any. We've gotten many wedding favors over the years, from koozies we never used to shot glasses ingraved with very "interesting" sayings. No judgement on whatever favors people choose - just the fact that the bride and groom want to buy their guests something is sweet enough; however, I wanted to make sure that if my guests are getting a favor, a) it serves a purpose and b) it does not have our names plastered all over it.
We are having a winter wedding with a few Christmas touches to it. A little tree on the card/gift table, hot chocolate at the bar. However, I didn't feel that this was "Christmassy" enough for me and my FI's taste :) So today I was suddenly hit with the idea for ornaments in our wedding colors as favors! Nothing crazy, just cute little ball ornaments at every place setting with a "thank you" tag attached.
I purchased 200 ornaments for $30 and used a $15 coupon on them, yay! Then, I bought small white gift tags in bulk. Those were $17. Then for my last touch, I bought a custom thank you stamp with our names and our wedding date on it, to stamp the tags with. That was the most important part of this little project, at $30.

I spent $62 for all of this and only $0.31 per favor! I personally feel that I saved a lot doing this, while still adding to the whole Christmas look of my wedding as well as it being a cute ornament my loved ones can put on their trees! (All of my guests do celebrate Christmas, so this favor works for everyone).

Any other December brides have cool favor ideas?

Re: Winter wedding favors

• Another December bride who is doing the exact same thing. Would love to know where you got yours because the prices I've seen are more expensive (like $2-$5-something per favor).

Anyway, I was planning on ornaments specific to our location. Because we're doing it at a big resort in the north, it's a well-known place. We won't have our wedding date or anything else on it though.
  • Just playing devil's advocate here. What about people that don't celebrate Christmas? They then get a favor that they'll never use. Sure, favors aren't necessary. But if I gave our Christmas ornaments at my wedding, about 50% of my guests wouldn't even have used them, considering their religions or being atheist. 

IMO, edible (or drinkable) favors are the best choice. 
  • edited September 2015

Just playing devil's advocate here. What about people that don't celebrate Christmas? They then get a favor that they'll never use. Sure, favors aren't necessary. But if I gave our Christmas ornaments at my wedding, about 50% of my guests wouldn't even have used them, considering their religions or being atheist. 

Literally every single one of my guests celebrates Christmas. I actually mentioned that in my original post. So this is a very functional favor.

Edited to note that even my super athiest brother celebrates and loves Christmas.
    I don't know if this is just a Texan thing, but even the not as super religious people here tend to LOVE Christmas... Whether it's about Santa, or about Jesus, I literally do not know one single person who is invited to the wedding who won't be celebrating Christmas.
  • edited September 2015

Another December bride who is doing the exact same thing. Would love to know where you got yours because the prices I've seen are more expensive (like $2-$5-something per favor).

Anyway, I was planning on ornaments specific to our location. Because we're doing it at a big resort in the north, it's a well-known place. We won't have our wedding date or anything else on it though.

I got them from jet.com. I had to sign up for a free trial membership to get them, but i plan on canceling before they can charge me for the membership. Yes I know that's terrible of me but oh well! On your first order from there, you also get a $15 off coupon, so that helped. I ordered 2 sets of 100 ornaments. They're multipacks and they're all in various shades of plum. Super cute.
  • sarahjhd said:
    Just playing devil's advocate here. What about people that don't celebrate Christmas? They then get a favor that they'll never use. Sure, favors aren't necessary. But if I gave our Christmas ornaments at my wedding, about 50% of my guests wouldn't even have used them, considering their religions or being atheist. 

Literally every single one of my guests celebrates Christmas. I actually mentioned that in my original post. So this is a very functional favor. Edited to note that even my super athiest brother celebrates and loves Christmas. I don't know if this is just a Texan thing, but even the not as super religious people here tend to LOVE Christmas... Whether it's about Santa, or about Jesus, I literally do not know one single person who is invited to the wedding who won't be celebrating Christmas.
    So you don't know anyone that's Jewish, or Hindu, or Muslim? You know for a fact that every single one of your guests puts up a Christmas tree? 
  • msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2015

I think it sounds like a fun idea. Even my Jewish friends put up little trees around the holidays. So, if you know they will all be used, then cool. And, even if they won't, they didn't cost much anyway.

ETA: Any favor will be less than ideal for someone. Even edible ones. Aunt Susie is on a diet, or Uncle Bob doesn't like sweets. It's kind of silly to assume that your favor must make everyone happy.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • sarahjhd said:

Literally every single one of my guests celebrates Christmas. I actually mentioned that in my original post. So this is a very functional favor. Edited to note that even my super athiest brother celebrates and loves Christmas. I don't know if this is just a Texan thing, but even the not as super religious people here tend to LOVE Christmas... Whether it's about Santa, or about Jesus, I literally do not know one single person who is invited to the wedding who won't be celebrating Christmas.
    So you don't know anyone that's Jewish, or Hindu, or Muslim? You know for a fact that every single one of your guests puts up a Christmas tree? 
    I agree with this. I celebrate Christmas but I never put up a tree, I don't decorate for holidays, so an ornament would be going in the trash, if getting picked up at all. Just people people celebrate Christmas doesn't mean that favor will be used by everyone. I agree with PP, stick with a winter themed edible favor, edibles are crowd pleasers. 
  • I think it sounds like a fun idea. Even my Jewish friends put up little trees around the holidays. So, if you know they will all be used, then cool. And, even if they won't, they didn't cost much anyway.

ETA: Any favor will be less than ideal for someone. Even edible ones. Aunt Susie is on a diet, or Uncle Bob doesn't like sweets. It's kind of silly to assume that your favor must make everyone happy.

The favor doesn't have to make everyone happy, but IMO you should try not to exclude a whole group of people. 
  • I think it sounds like a fun idea. Even my Jewish friends put up little trees around the holidays. So, if you know they will all be used, then cool. And, even if they won't, they didn't cost much anyway.

The favor doesn't have to make everyone happy, but IMO you should try not to exclude a whole group of people. 
    But if you know that everyone celebrates Christmas, who is being excluded?  Obviously sarah's favors wouldn't have worked at your wedding, but it would have worked at mine... I don't know anybody who came to my wedding who doesn't celebrate Christmas... either secularly or religiously.  

If someone doesn't like/can't use the favor, they can just not take one.  This isn't like the dinner, where you need to take in dietary needs/preferences, it's an optional item.  I ended up with 3 dozen favors left over (non-denominational edible favors, with nuts, and a nut free option), I assume because people didn't feel like taking one home.  NBD.  
    I just think it's small-minded to assume everyone that everyone celebrates Christmas. I have a hard time believe that the OP knows for a fact that every single one of her guests celebrate it. But hey, I'm from a diverse area. I have a lot of Jewish friends. My MOH is Hindu. I have many friends that are atheist and don't celebrate Christmas. This is why people usually recommend an edible favor if you're going to do favors. Everyone eats. 

But if you know that everyone celebrates Christmas, who is being excluded?  Obviously sarah's favors wouldn't have worked at your wedding, but it would have worked at mine... I don't know anybody who came to my wedding who doesn't celebrate Christmas... either secularly or religiously.  

If someone doesn't like/can't use the favor, they can just not take one.  This isn't like the dinner, where you need to take in dietary needs/preferences, it's an optional item.  I ended up with 3 dozen favors left over (non-denominational edible favors, with nuts, and a nut free option), I assume because people didn't feel like taking one home.  NBD.  
    I just think it's small-minded to assume everyone that everyone celebrates Christmas. I have a hard time believe that the OP knows for a fact that every single one of her guests celebrate it. But hey, I'm from a diverse area. I have a lot of Jewish friends. My MOH is Hindu. I have many friends that are atheist and don't celebrate Christmas. This is why people usually recommend an edible favor if you're going to do favors. Everyone eats. 
    Well, your wedding is supposed to be your nearest and dearest, right?  At least for me, that means knowing their religious preferences as well.  

And yes, not everyone is from a diverse area, unfortunately.  I grew up in an area that is very un-diverse.  Like, no synagogue, no mosque, nothing.... just various Christian/Catholic churches.  
    Married 9.12.15
  •  
    Well, your wedding is supposed to be your nearest and dearest, right?  At least for me, that means knowing their religious preferences as well.  

And yes, not everyone is from a diverse area, unfortunately.  I grew up in an area that is very un-diverse.  Like, no synagogue, no mosque, nothing.... just various Christian/Catholic churches.  
    Yes, but there were people on my husband's side that I met for the first time. I didn't know their religious preferences. Same with some of his friends from high school that live on the other side of the country. What about newer significant others that you haven't had a chance to meet you? This is why I think it's absurd to assume you know that everyone celebrates Christmas and puts up a tree. 
  • I am an October bride (Halloween to be exact) so I get the idea behind planning around a holiday. I went to a wedding last December where they did they ornaments, but they had their names printed on them. I would have much preferred your idea where just the detachable label has your names and date on them. It felt kind of weird having an ornament with someone else's name and wedding date on it. Nonetheless, I am that person that forgot the favor, completely unintentionally. You will have that too, but since you are doing a generic round bulb in different colors, I'm sure you will have guests that ask for more than one. You said you were doing purple, I know my tree would lack those colors so I'd probably be on the look out to snag up more than one as long as the couple didn't mind.

I don't think I've ever been to a wedding where 100% of the guests took the favor and/or liked it. I've many times had the food favor (popcorn, mints, s-more kits, cotton candy) and to be honest, they weren't that great. I am doing a candy table as part of my favors, and I'll admit, I'd much rather be left over with a few extra ornaments than a bunch of candy that will go stale before I can eat it all (fingers crossed people take a lot). The wedding I went to last month gave out wine cork magnets with the couples name on it. I can see you are fitting your favor to fit a theme, and regardless if everyone wants to hang it or even take it, they will at least understand why you chose it as a favor.

And if you're still looking for other options, I might add that powdered sugar has a vague resemblance to snow and tastes great :-)
  • I'm also having a winter wedding and we decided on Lindt truffles. We were going to do Krispy Kreme donuts but Lindt was going to be easier, so we did it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I''m having my wedding the weekend before Christmas next year and considered using ornaments as a favor/table name tags (thanks a lot Pinterest - see photo below).  If you're married to this idea (pun intended), this isn't a bad way to set your table assignments (someone also used truffles for this too:)).

I read around here a lot and realized the reception is how you thank your guests and that a favor is not necessary.  So now I think I'm going to use the money I budgeted for that to add a specialty egg nog cocktail to my bar.  

• My nephew and his wife married on NYE.  They also used small, round ornaments as favors.  They also used personalized ribbon to accent the ornament.  @sarahjhd, they "hung" each ornament on the wine glasses placed at each table setting.  It was a simple but pretty way to add a bit of decor to the tables.

I love placing the ornament on my tree every Christmas.  Every ornament on my tree has a memory/event attached to it.  I think of their wedding every time I hang that ornament.

@climbingwife, at both my son and daughter's weddings, we would also be able to state categorically whether or not every guest celebrated Christmas.  I have attended several weddings that offered a favor I never used.  I took no offense that the couple did not take the time to discover I had no use for candles, koozies, or don't care for chocolate.  Take the word "ornament" out of the equation and the argument dies.  "They then get a favor that they'll never use. Sure, favors aren't necessary. But if I gave our Christmas ornaments, alcohol,  koozies, at my wedding, about 50% of my guests wouldn't even have used them."
  •  

Yes, but there were people on my husband's side that I met for the first time. I didn't know their religious preferences. Same with some of his friends from high school that live on the other side of the country. What about newer significant others that you haven't had a chance to meet you? This is why I think it's absurd to assume you know that everyone celebrates Christmas and puts up a tree. 
    I know everyone in my FI's family. They are all catholic. Most of my family is Catholic as well, I am not but I am Christian and like I have said several times, even the guests who I know aren't religious still celebrate Christmas. My athiest brother is the first to ask for everyone's Christmas lists every year and the first to put up a tree, the day after thanksgiving. I went to private Christian school. So all of my friends are Christian. I literally know every single guest personally. I'm not trying to be bitchy about it, but I do. I'm not meeting anyone for the first time at our wedding. Sure for you it would be absurd to assume. But like I said, I know everyone who will be at my wedding, there are no strangers.
  • sarahjhd said:

I know people who are Jewish, Hindu, etc, but I don't happen to be close to people who are any of those particular religions. So like I said this works for me.
  • julieanne912 said:

I think it sounds like a fun idea. Even my Jewish friends put up little trees around the holidays. So, if you know they will all be used, then cool. And, even if they won't, they didn't cost much anyway.

Exactly. I do not understand why it's so unusual for me to actually know all of the people I'm inviting to my wedding. I live in South Texas. There is not much diversity here.
  • hellohkb said:
    I'm also having a winter wedding and we decided on Lindt truffles. We were going to do Krispy Kreme donuts but Lindt was going to be easier, so we did it.
    See, thats's a cute idea. Donuts or truffles. I don't want edible favors because we are not only having cake but also ojarascas (Mexican wedding cookies) that my family in Mexico is baking, as well as a wide variety of sweets. I figured I'd do something inedible. Also, if I have leftover ornaments, I will use them on my own tree. Problem solved.
  • sarahjhd said:
    hellohkb said:
    I'm also having a winter wedding and we decided on Lindt truffles. We were going to do Krispy Kreme donuts but Lindt was going to be easier, so we did it.
    See, thats's a cute idea. Donuts or truffles. I don't want edible favors because we are not only having cake but also ojarascas (Mexican wedding cookies) that my family in Mexico is baking, as well as a wide variety of sweets. I figured I'd do something inedible. Also, if I have leftover ornaments, I will use them on my own tree. Problem solved.
    People can always bring home their favors and eat them then. We have the wedding cake but will likely have 2 more desserts as well. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• sarahjhd said:

Haven't read the rest of the comments, just want to address this. I'm an atheist and I love the shit out of Christmas and would be happy to receive an ornament. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I much prefer edible favors - if I'm full at the wedding, I'll bring it home and enjoy it the next day!  That said, OP - I'm glad the ornaments are not personalized!  Not sure if I'd keep it in the end, but that's just the pickiness in me (it would depend on the colors - our tree is mostly decorated in reds and golds), but I think it's a pretty decent favor given the time of year and your audience.
  • I really like winter weddings, for the favors I really think there are many options available for fall, winter and Christmas such as personalized edible favors, coasters, holiday frame gifts, cookies etc...
    Yes to the edible favors/cookies.  A big fat no to coasters or holiday frames!  I have plenty of them already at home.
  • Winter wedding here and personally I love the ornament idea. I love Christmas so I would for sure take it. To be honest, even with edible favors I tend to forget to take them (and kick myself all the way home). It sounds like you know your crowd and picked a favor that didn't break the bank but fits with the season which I think is nice. I'm doing ornaments for our place cards (clear cubes filled with fake snow) with tags on them, guests can take them if they want, if not, no big deal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Winter wedding here and personally I love the ornament idea. I love Christmas so I would for sure take it. To be honest, even with edible favors I tend to forget to take them (and kick myself all the way home). It sounds like you know your crowd and picked a favor that didn't break the bank but fits with the season which I think is nice. I'm doing ornaments for our place cards (clear cubes filled with fake snow) with tags on them, guests can take them if they want, if not, no big deal.
    I love this idea!
    I love this idea!
    Well thank you, I hope they are well received by our guests. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you've found a fun, cute and cost effective way to incorporate Christmas! I really like it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards