Wedding Reception Forum

I need venue advice - please & thanks!!

I'm between 2 venues. Both same type (historic), similar price. 

Place 1: This is the place that I vision in my head when I imagine my wedding/reception. I love it, it's beautiful and thought I was ready to sign after seeing it. However, with some research, I've learned this place (it is a restaurant & bed & breakfast as well) has terrible reviews. Everything from terrible service, to dirty rooms, to unorganized, hidden costs- you name it, it's out there. Now, I get that when people leave reviews, they are the bad and not the good but there are a lot and I'm getting concerned. If they can't execute my vision, then it's kind of ruined. I love the wedding coordinator- I've told her my fears and she treated us to a $70 meal on the house (that's another thing, the food is par, not wonderful, but not terrible). She even went as far as to send me the last 3 wedding thank you notes they have received, which were all very favorable/talked about amazing service. 

Place 2: Still a very beautiful place. They are the expects and I hear nothing but wonderful things about them. They have wonderful service, and I hear the food is amazing. I don't love the layout of the reception or the location but the ceremony would be lakeside and amazing. 

So, my dilemma. Do I go with what I vision (my first choice) and pray they can work out the kinks in service within the next year or do I go with my 2nd choice which will be just fine, and know the service will be top notch and I don't have to "worry" for the next year? 

Any advice is appreciated :) 

Re: I need venue advice - please & thanks!!

• I'm between 2 venues. Both same type (historic), similar price. 

Place 1: This is the place that I vision in my head when I imagine my wedding/reception. I love it, it's beautiful and thought I was ready to sign after seeing it. However, with some research, I've learned this place (it is a restaurant & bed & breakfast as well) has terrible reviews. Everything from terrible service, to dirty rooms, to unorganized, hidden costs- you name it, it's out there. Now, I get that when people leave reviews, they are the bad and not the good but there are a lot and I'm getting concerned. If they can't execute my vision, then it's kind of ruined. I love the wedding coordinator- I've told her my fears and she treated us to a $70 meal on the house (that's another thing, the food is par, not wonderful, but not terrible). She even went as far as to send me the last 3 wedding thank you notes they have received, which were all very favorable/talked about amazing service. 

Place 2: Still a very beautiful place. They are the expects and I hear nothing but wonderful things about them. They have wonderful service, and I hear the food is amazing. I don't love the layout of the reception or the location but the ceremony would be lakeside and amazing. 

So, my dilemma. Do I go with what I vision (my first choice) and pray they can work out the kinks in service within the next year or do I go with my 2nd choice which will be just fine, and know the service will be top notch and I don't have to "worry" for the next year? 

Any advice is appreciated :) 
    Personally I'd go with #2. It would be with it to me for the better food and reviews alone. If I went with #1, I'd be worrying the entire planning process. Experience and food > "vision".
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Wonderful service + good food = winner.  Every time.

Option 2.

• As a guest I don't really care how pretty a venue is if the food and service during the reception sucks.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I've left a bunch of good reviews for places I've been happy with. I've also read a lot of good reviews that weren't written by me. So if a place only has bad reviews left for it, it's probably safe to assume it's a bad place. Is this really a chance you want to take with your wedding?
  • Thank you all for the responses! I really appreciate it. I mean, deep down I know the right decision (and knew that is probably what I would hear) but it's still sad. I just need to get over that first place. 

Thanks again!
  • I had a #1 and #2 venue and went with #2 for logistical reasons even though my wedding will now be more formal than I envisioned. You know what I've learned since booking? I can love almost any venue I'm getting married in. I'm so excited to marry with FI and celebrate with my family and friends that I've completely forgotten about my casual vibe with stringing lights and paper lanterns and can't believe I didn't love the Art Deco historic ballroom right off. Go with what's most practical, given cost is similar. You'll fall in love!
  • Add me to the #2 camp. 

Think of it in terms of just going to a restaurant or some other run of the mill consumer experience. There's a really cute upscale mexican joint near my house. The food is fantastic and the ambiance is lovely, but the service is just terrible. When other people mention that place, service is the only thing they remember, and it's the reason they won't ever go back. Your guests will forget about your decor and room layout, but they will remember if the service was bad, and so will you. 
  • I would take great food and great service over a pretty setting any day. Go with 2.
  • #2 sounds like a winner...UNLESS venue #1 has recently changed ownership/management.  The place that wound up being my second choice venue got horrible, horrible reviews to the extent that I wasn't even going to bother getting a quote or a tour there.  But then I learned that within the past few months they have completely changed their procedures and have brought in an outside company to handle their bookings and catering.  I now would have no reservations booking there, since the new company has a great reputation. 
  • Definitely look at the dates for the reviews.  If the negative reviews are not very recent, you may have an easier time.  If they are within the last few weeks/months, I would go with venue option 2.  My only concern with venue 2 is what you called "the layout."

How much of a layout difference is there?   Is  venue 2 more closed off, or is venue 1 just bigger? I did attend a wedding several months ago in a historical building.  It was beautiful, and it entertained guests for all of about 15 minutes.  The VIP's sat in a completely different room than the other guests, the dancing was in another part of the building... it was difficult to hear any announcements as to what was going on (first dance, cake cutting if there was one, desserts, late night bites, their exit)....it was a "destination wedding" as in where the couple went to college but no one lived there. I think they anticipated more no's with RSVP's, because you could barely walk between the tables.... to top it all off, because it was a historical house, they could not install ac.  It was the middle of summer in SC, and black-tie optional....

the food was good, but everything was so uncomfortable that it didn't really matter....

So long as guests know what's going on and  are comfortable with both temperature and space, you're better off with going with venue 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards