Chit Chat

NWR: Baby Related, Looking for Some Insight and Advice

Re: NWR: Baby Related, Looking for Some Insight and Advice

• @Maggie0829 the OP is not being unreasonable, and yes DH should have a say, he is the one that has asked the OP mom to join the first Dr.visit, but the husband is there for support, I never understood the "sitting in the waiting room for support" so me knowing your uncomfortable waiting round for an unknown amount of time is not support, it's pressure get that baby out so we can see! I believe that DH should be the one telling them that they need to wait though less stress on the momma to be..
    I don't get this logic that people choosing to sit in a waiting room to wait for the birth of your child puts pressure on you, as the mother.  Even if they were waiting at home or in another state, they'd still be waiting for the birth of your child. . . so shouldn't you feel pressure knowing anyone, anywhere knows you are in labor?

That pressure is not coming from an outward source (the people waiting) that pressure is all in your own head.

And like Maggie keeps saying, you can't control what other people choose to do.  You can tell people 6 ways to Sunday that you don't want them to wait in the waiting room, but you have no way from actually, physically preventing them from showing up at the hospital, which is a public building, other than not informing them of the labor. 

Maggie was trying to drive this point home so that the OP can start to accept this fact in order to work on her own anxiety issues.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @Maggie0829 the OP is not being unreasonable, and yes DH should have a say, he is the one that has asked the OP mom to join the first Dr.visit, but the husband is there for support, I never understood the "sitting in the waiting room for support" so me knowing your uncomfortable waiting round for an unknown amount of time is not support, it's pressure get that baby out so we can see! I believe that DH should be the one telling them that they need to wait though less stress on the momma to be..
    I don't get this logic that people choosing to sit in a waiting room to wait for the birth of your child puts pressure on you, as the mother.  Even if they were waiting at home or in another state, they'd still be waiting for the birth of your child. . . so shouldn't you feel pressure knowing anyone, anywhere knows you are in labor?

That pressure is not coming from an outward source (the people waiting) that pressure is all in your own head.

And like Maggie keeps saying, you can't control what other people choose to do.  You can tell people 6 ways to Sunday that you don't want them to wait in the waiting room, but you have no way from actually, physically preventing them from showing up at the hospital, which is a public building, other than not informing them of the labor. 

Maggie was trying to drive this point home so that the OP can start to accept this fact in order to work on her own anxiety issues.
    And I completely agree with the both of you.  Essentially I nor DH can control what others do.  When people are waiting in the waiting room, its because they want to see the baby ASAP, whereas at home, you come at your leisure when mom, dad, and baby are ready for visitors.  So yes, it can add some extra pressure and anxiety.

But, when I'm asking people, for own sanity and my own preference, knowing myself and how I handle stressful situations to begin with (anxiety), that I would like for no one to be in waiting room, to let us have our time to do what needs to be done and that we will call when ready for visitors, but obviously call after baby is born, and that request keeps getting ignored and pushed aside because as it was put "well, I want to be there for my son" and "I want to be there for my brother," I find to be disrespectful and hurtful because honestly, your son and brother aren't the ones pushing out this kid, its me.  And to be quite frank, I'm not sure exactly how you can be there for him in a different way than you can be there for him on the phone if he needed to call just to chat.  

He has already made it clear to everyone that he will be working and telecommuting so not only will his focus be on me, but also on work and that once we are admitted, he's not leaving my side because he doesn't want me to be left alone because he knows what stressful situation do to me (anxiety).  So essentially, them being there is actually pointless because he's not going to go and hangout with them.  If he's hungry, he's more than welcome to get food from the cafeteria and the hospital will deliver food to the labor and delivery room for him as well in case he doesn't want to leave.  And his mom is already planning a backup for Thanksgiving in case we are in the hospital where she brings the feast with her and DH has told her time and time again, its not needed, to go on with the holiday as planned because even if I'm not in labor, we will be staying home and not be there so it won't make a difference.  

Again, not being heard on our requests which is more the problem here.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

To the first bolded, I guess it's just a matter of persepctive, because I hear this story and think, why can't the MIL just wait at home for the news if she's in driving distance.  Why does she have to be at the hospital?

To the second bolded, I think that varies by person.  Some people would definitely promise to be on their best behavior and then show up, try and pop in to the room and cause a distraction.
  • ohmrs2014 said:
    @Maggie0829 the OP is not being unreasonable, and yes DH should have a say, he is the one that has asked the OP mom to join the first Dr.visit, but the husband is there for support, I never understood the "sitting in the waiting room for support" so me knowing your uncomfortable waiting round for an unknown amount of time is not support, it's pressure get that baby out so we can see! I believe that DH should be the one telling them that they need to wait though less stress on the momma to be..

And I completely agree with the both of you.  Essentially I nor DH can control what others do.  When people are waiting in the waiting room, its because they want to see the baby ASAP, whereas at home, you come at your leisure when mom, dad, and baby are ready for visitors.  So yes, it can add some extra pressure and anxiety.

But, when I'm asking people, for own sanity and my own preference, knowing myself and how I handle stressful situations to begin with (anxiety), that I would like for no one to be in waiting room, to let us have our time to do what needs to be done and that we will call when ready for visitors, but obviously call after baby is born, and that request keeps getting ignored and pushed aside because as it was put "well, I want to be there for my son" and "I want to be there for my brother," I find to be disrespectful and hurtful because honestly, your son and brother aren't the ones pushing out this kid, its me.  And to be quite frank, I'm not sure exactly how you can be there for him in a different way than you can be there for him on the phone if he needed to call just to chat.  

He has already made it clear to everyone that he will be working and telecommuting so not only will his focus be on me, but also on work and that once we are admitted, he's not leaving my side because he doesn't want me to be left alone because he knows what stressful situation do to me (anxiety).  So essentially, them being there is actually pointless because he's not going to go and hangout with them.  If he's hungry, he's more than welcome to get food from the cafeteria and the hospital will deliver food to the labor and delivery room for him as well in case he doesn't want to leave.  And his mom is already planning a backup for Thanksgiving in case we are in the hospital where she brings the feast with her and DH has told her time and time again, its not needed, to go on with the holiday as planned because even if I'm not in labor, we will be staying home and not be there so it won't make a difference.  

Yeah, just keep working at it :/  Sorry it's a pain.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• ohmrs2014 said:
    @Maggie0829 the OP is not being unreasonable, and yes DH should have a say, he is the one that has asked the OP mom to join the first Dr.visit, but the husband is there for support, I never understood the "sitting in the waiting room for support" so me knowing your uncomfortable waiting round for an unknown amount of time is not support, it's pressure get that baby out so we can see! I believe that DH should be the one telling them that they need to wait though less stress on the momma to be..

I understand that your requests for space aren't being heard from your in-laws, and that is frustrating.  If having your in-laws in the waiting room is really going to cause you as much anxiety as you are suggesting, I think the best course of action is simply to not tell them you're in labor until after the baby is born.  You can explain to them afterwards the reason for doing so and maybe even come up with a little white lie to make it more palatable ("things were progressing so fast that we didn't even think to call you/want to bother you until it was done!)  But I would seriously reconsider your stance on not letting them see the baby for the first week.  It may be that your family leaves parents alone with their newborns for the first week (although I still don't understand this), but this baby isn't just a part of your family--she's a part of DH's family too, and it sounds like they're super excited to meet her.
  • @mobkaz You said it better than I could have but I think that was what I was trying to get at way back towards the begininng of this thread.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • monkeysip said:
    As someone else has said, it's like the difference between someone sitting in another room while you poop or waiting outside the bathroom door.

It DOES add a sense of tension knowing they're in the waiting room, especially if the waiting room is close to your room.  And if H goes out into the waiting room, he'll be pestered with questions and pulled in a million directions.  There's just a sense that they're impatiently waiting to see the baby. 

I felt like I was a pretty easy going pregnant woman, and I'm a relatively easy going mom.  I never hovered, I never got nervous if people held her, etc.  But I wanted my PRIVACY when I gave birth to her.  And if there's no real difference between waiting in the waiting room and waiting at home, THEN WAIT AT HOME.

**BOX**

As someone who has anxiety and a MIL I like....enough....but not enough to want her around, I feel so much this bolded.

If I knew my inlaws were sitting outside waiting, I would feel pressured to just get things over with so they weren't uncomfortable. It isn't rational, but anxiety often isn't.
  • I don't think this has been brought up yet, but OP can you discuss with the hospital about when you would allow visitors after the birth?  There is a new hospital in our area that they call the baby factory.  It has a huge L&D floor, all with private rooms, and their whole thing is promoting the family unit.  So if you didn't want visitors for a certain amount of hours after birth, they would not allow visitors to enter the secure area to visit you.  

So you know that you can't control if FILs come to the waiting room while you are in labor, but figure out what you can control.  If your H is aware of and responsive to your anxiety, he would not be pressuring you to allow visiting hours to begin, correct?  So let them waste their time sitting in uncomfortable chairs, drinking bad coffee.  Then when you are all ready, let the hospital know you are ready for visitors.

I also think that your H should block FILs phone numbers, while he is working during your labor.  He can't react to what he doesn't know about.  I have Verizon and I am able to block up to 5 numbers for free and can block/unblock those 5 numbers as often as I want.
  • I understand this is all intense and intensely personal, and I am not myself a mother, but I do want to say one thing: I don't think it's a good idea for you to not tell your immediate family that you are in labor. Bringing a baby into this world is no joke - it is a serious medical event and, while of course I don't want to alarm anyone, I think I am stating the obvious when I say complications can arise. Close family members will be hurt if they don't find out until after the fact, especially if there are (god forbid, of course) complications and you (general moms-to-be) end up having an emergency c-section or something even more serious. 

For example, one time my brother was badly hurt and had to have surgery. It was relatively minor surgery (on his ear), but he was under general anesthesia, which is also no joke. Not wanting to alarm anyone, he waited until after he was out to tell my family (mom, me, other siblings). This was heartbreaking and, frankly, horrifying. What if something had gone wrong? How would we feel if the call we had gotten instead was that he had undergone surgery and as a result X complication occurred and we better high tail in to the hospital? Even though that (thankfully) is not what happened, we were all very hurt and upset by this.

I understand that you have anxiety and this is a very stressful time for you - as someone who has struggled with mental illness, I really, really do. But please please consider the way your family is feeling as well. Please don't wait until your baby is born to alert everyone (or anyone) in your immediate family.

• nerdwife said:
    I understand this is all intense and intensely personal, and I am not myself a mother, but I do want to say one thing: I don't think it's a good idea for you to not tell your immediate family that you are in labor. Bringing a baby into this world is no joke - it is a serious medical event and, while of course I don't want to alarm anyone, I think I am stating the obvious when I say complications can arise. Close family members will be hurt if they don't find out until after the fact, especially if there are (god forbid, of course) complications and you (general moms-to-be) end up having an emergency c-section or something even more serious. 

For example, one time my brother was badly hurt and had to have surgery. It was relatively minor surgery (on his ear), but he was under general anesthesia, which is also no joke. Not wanting to alarm anyone, he waited until after he was out to tell my family (mom, me, other siblings). This was heartbreaking and, frankly, horrifying. What if something had gone wrong? How would we feel if the call we had gotten instead was that he had undergone surgery and as a result X complication occurred and we better high tail in to the hospital? Even though that (thankfully) is not what happened, we were all very hurt and upset by this.

I understand that you have anxiety and this is a very stressful time for you - as someone who has struggled with mental illness, I really, really do. But please please consider the way your family is feeling as well. Please don't wait until your baby is born to alert everyone (or anyone) in your immediate family.
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think it matters much how the family feels about this situation. It is not about them. The only feelings the OP should consider in this case are her own because she is the one giving birth. I can accept being somewhat flexible with what happens after the baby is born and even then new mother's needs come first, but during labor it is all about the woman and only her. Everyone else are entitled to feel whatever, but I don't think that their feelings should figure into any labor related decisions by the OP.

I agree with PPs who suggested that if OP really does not want anyone waiting in the hospital she should call everyone after the fact. This way she can insure that her wishes are respected.
    Anniversary
  • nerdwife said:
    I understand this is all intense and intensely personal, and I am not myself a mother, but I do want to say one thing: I don't think it's a good idea for you to not tell your immediate family that you are in labor. Bringing a baby into this world is no joke - it is a serious medical event and, while of course I don't want to alarm anyone, I think I am stating the obvious when I say complications can arise. Close family members will be hurt if they don't find out until after the fact, especially if there are (god forbid, of course) complications and you (general moms-to-be) end up having an emergency c-section or something even more serious. 

When you are starting your own family, they are your immediate family now. Your brother did not have a spouse, correct? It's a different situation. If your brother was single, and didn't tell anyone, then I can kind of see your point, but it's still his business to tell anyone. And what if something goes wrong when she is in labor, it's not like the other family is going to be able to see her or the baby anyway, and there is nothing they can do. Presumably they know when your due date is, so they know labor would be happening soon, unlike a freak accident or illness.

My mom is no longer my emergency contact, my husband is. If there is a decision to be made, he would make it on my behalf. No one is obligated to tell their parents or siblings anything regarding their health care anyway, regardless of their marital status. 

My husband had appendicitis last year. We were at urgent care, then the emergency room, and then in the hospital. Once he was admitted, I kept asking, when should we call your parents, and he told me to wait, because it was pointless to call them, when we didn't know where he would be going or what would be happening. Once he was told he will be transferred to a different hospital I called them. His mom is a worrier (as is mine) and she kept asking if she should come to the hospital (he was still in the ER at this point). We told her no, he was in good hands in the hospital, and that I would call her tomorrow to update her.

If something tragic is happening, her husband is there, it's not like she has nobody there like your brother.

• @huskypupp14 and @redwoodoriginal: I respect your opinions but I just think you should never keep health problems from your family (assuming that you have relationships with them, of course). I think it's kind of condescending to decide that adult family members couldn't handle hearing it, and there are problems with keeping these kind of things from children that are way outside the scope of this post. That's just a fundamental disagreement. 
  • nerdwife said:

@huskypupp14 and @redwoodoriginal: I respect your opinions but I just think you should never keep health problems from your family (assuming that you have relationships with them, of course). I think it's kind of condescending to decide that adult family members couldn't handle hearing it, and there are problems with keeping these kind of things from children that are way outside the scope of this post. That's just a fundamental disagreement. 

Uh, how is going into labor a health problem? It's completely different than being in th hospital for surgery. Everyone knows you're pregnant and close to your due date. Your argument doesn't even make sense for going into labor. I'm not talking about what happened to your brother. I'm talking about actual labor and birthing a human with your husband by your side. Completely different scenarios.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I'm not going to quote everyone on here, but clearly a lot of people don't agree with me. That's fine. Every family is different and everyone is entitled to their opinions about how to deal with them. I have very different feelings about childbirth (ps - obviously people have taken issue with "health problem," so how about health issue or something - wasn't implying that childbirth is a problem of course) than many that have been expressed here, but I didn't think it was worthwhile for me to pipe up with that stuff, since it's not what's being discussed/not what OP asked about. Which is why I won't respond to @southernbelle0915's question - I don't think I could do it without offending someone, which is not my intention or a can of worms I want to open. 

I appreciate that people have strong feelings about what I said. I know health problems vary from family to family and people like to deal differently. FWIW, I have a lot of doctors and nurses (including OB/GYN and L&D nurses) in my family and FI is a resident, as well as having my own medical problems, so it's not like I don't know anything about HIPAA or medicine or any of this stuff. Promise, I'm not speaking from a place of knowing nothing about any of this. I just disagree - which, I think we all know from interneting, is a thing that happens.
  • So much of this is likely to depend on family dynamics. In mine and Hs family they would be incredibly hurt if we didn't tell them if I was in (hypothetical) labor. But then again my mom has been an L&D nurse for nearly 40 years.

My two cents: OP set boundaries with in laws if you know they have a history of disrespecting them. And be clear and repeat if you feel like you're not being heard, but be kind. They're excited. They love your H, you, and baby (presumably since they're ya know trying to come to the hospital). Invite them to the hospital when you're ready for visitors, but remember you can't control what other people so and don't let that interfere with the bonding time you, H, and baby need.

Finally, be honest about your wishes (try not to make demands) once you go home. Ask for callls before coming over is absolutely reasonable and should always be respected (and enforced). But you may want help, you may not. You may want dinner, but it want to talk to anyone. Know who you can reach out to. Setting hard lines in the sand about the first week home may hurt some feelings, but if that's what you need people will get over it.
  • nerdwife said:

I'm not going to quote everyone on here, but clearly a lot of people don't agree with me. That's fine. Every family is different and everyone is entitled to their opinions about how to deal with them. I have very different feelings about childbirth (ps - obviously people have taken issue with "health problem," so how about health issue or something - wasn't implying that childbirth is a problem of course) than many that have been expressed here, but I didn't think it was worthwhile for me to pipe up with that stuff, since it's not what's being discussed/not what OP asked about. Which is why I won't respond to @southernbelle0915's question - I don't think I could do it without offending someone, which is not my intention or a can of worms I want to open. 

I appreciate that people have strong feelings about what I said. I know health problems vary from family to family and people like to deal differently. FWIW, I have a lot of doctors and nurses (including OB/GYN and L&D nurses) in my family and FI is a resident, as well as having my own medical problems, so it's not like I don't know anything about HIPAA or medicine or any of this stuff. Promise, I'm not speaking from a place of knowing nothing about any of this. I just disagree - which, I think we all know from interneting, is a thing that happens.

I think that's the issue in a nutshell. How and when people communicate with their families about their health isn't about HIPAA or medicine or knowing lots of doctors and nurses. It's about knowing yourself, and your family, and the boundaries you want to draw. Your response soubds extremely condescending to me, as though because you know stuff, you couldn't possibly actually be wrong. Which, honestly, is a communication strategy based on being correct, like explaining to your FFIL that he shouldn't mind the location of your wedding because he used to take your FI to a camp that's farther away. Which, ok, so that's nice? But it's not the point at all and it's extremely off putting to try and communicate about feelings with someone who keeps digging deeper and deeper into "correct" facts.
  • Nerdwife, you are free to have your opinion.. You can think it's not a good idea to not tell family that you are in labor, but that doesn't change the fact that no one is entitled to know anything about your medical treatments. The primary person whose feelings matter the most, is the woman in labor, then her partner, and then the rest of the family. So if laboring mom doesn't want to tell anyone until after the baby is born, that is her prerogative.

Let's take giving birth out of it. You said you don't think it's a good idea to keep health problems from your family.I agree that I would want to know if someone in my family had a major disease like cancer or something, or if they were hospitalized, but giving birth isn't a surprise, they know it's coming. And it's very personal for people. I don't know what makes people thing it's their business how dilated you are or what procedures you had to get that baby out. Are you going to tell your family when you're having a colonoscopy, fertility treatments, or getting an IUD inserted. Are any of these things anyone else's business? And maybe you would tell your mom, because of her line of work, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to.

• Okay, I get it, people don't agree with me. And like I said, this is a thing that's bound to happen in life and on internet forums. The OP asked for advice and I said I don't think it's a good idea to not tell ILs that she's in labor. Other people have different opinions and they told her that she shouldn't tell them (or should consider not telling them). That's totally fine. Obviously people post here to get opinions and various perspectives from non-biased people and that's what I gave (and what I very gratefully received when I asked for advice on other boards). 

I plan on telling people when I'm in labor and when I have medical problems and I really hope my family does the same. It's obviously been an issue before in my family or I wouldn't have even thought it important enough to include here. I meant well in telling her my opinion and providing one example of an experience I've had. I even included that I've struggled with mental illness because OP talked about her anxiety problem. This is intensely personal for me and not a thing I ordinarily share, but I genuinely believe what I said and wanted her to know that, in that respect, I know where she is coming from.

So I think what I'm saying is that I see that there is strong disagreement on this point and I respect that, but I feel a little like I'm getting attacked for my opinion - like what I said was wrong or malicious or bad in some way. I know it's hard to convey tone online and also internet strangers likely don't care enough about my opinion to actually get mad and be mean, but I am feeling a little bit like I'm getting attacked, so I'm just going to step back from this thread for now (which I know is kind of dramatic to announce my departure, but I'm only saying it in case people keep responding to my thread and then think I'm deliberately ignoring them or don't care).

OP, I know this is stressful for you and I really hope it all works out, however you decide to handle it. Good luck!
  • I was thinking about this thread and realized I didn't even tell my mom I was having a biopsy on my right breast.    

Reason?  My  mom and sister both have cysts in the breast.  It's not uncommon to have one of them biopsied after the first mammogram in order to establish what is normal.   It's pretty common in my family to have these cysts.  Since I knew my family history I didn't feel the need to worry people over what might just be a cysts.  Sure enough, it was just a cyst.  Afterwards I told my mom and sister.    The conversation was like this "hey, I had a biopsy on my right breast.  Just like you, I have a cyst they wanted to make sure was a cyst.  Now they want to put that titanium chip near the cyst so they will know it's already biopsied.    Have you had that?  Did it hurt?"   That was about it.  No hard feelings.    

I'm very much a "let me find out the facts before telling others" type person.   I forget who posted the "stop me" thread but I know quite a few people  (including myself) who hears some symptoms and runs to google to "research".     Even though I have a family history of cysts in the breast, some people will hear biopsy and decide I have stage 4 cancer.  

I would be like "slow down those horses people.  Let's find out first before you start picking out my new boobs after my double mastectomy."  Nope,  I don't think it's condescending  to wait to know the facts before releasing some information to people.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yea, I usually don't tell my parents about medical issues until I know its something they need to worry about.  Obviously DH is the first to know but then I decide to wait on telling everyone else until I know its something to worry about. 

With the pregnancy, DH has been the first to find everything out.  When it comes to potential of being high risk with my slightly elevated blood pressure, I didn't mention anything to my parents until after I met with the high risk doctor.  Knowing my mom suffered from the same issue when she was pregnant with me, I figured I'd mention the issue to her so I can get her perspective.  I also did tell them about the possibility of being induced earlier if the medication they gave me doesn't control it and also the possibility of a c-section.  But again, all of this was after meeting with the high risk doctor.  Why worry them if I don't need to.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    I was thinking about this thread and realized I didn't even tell my mom I was having a biopsy on my right breast.    

Reason?  My  mom and sister both have cysts in the breast.  It's not uncommon to have one of them biopsied after the first mammogram in order to establish what is normal.   It's pretty common in my family to have these cysts.  Since I knew my family history I didn't feel the need to worry people over what might just be a cysts.  Sure enough, it was just a cyst.  Afterwards I told my mom and sister.    The conversation was like this "hey, I had a biopsy on my right breast.  Just like you, I have a cyst they wanted to make sure was a cyst.  Now they want to put that titanium chip near the cyst so they will know it's already biopsied.    Have you had that?  Did it hurt?"   That was about it.  No hard feelings.    

I'm very much a "let me find out the facts before telling others" type person.   I forget who posted the "stop me" thread but I know quite a few people  (including myself) who hears some symptoms and runs to google to "research".     Even though I have a family history of cysts in the breast, some people will hear biopsy and decide I have stage 4 cancer.  

I would be like "slow down those horses people.  Let's find out first before you start picking out my new boobs after my double mastectomy."  Nope,  I don't think it's condescending  to wait to know the facts before releasing some information to people.  
    That's the point I was making with my labor experience.

When you're having a baby, it's extremely rare to have a labor experience that's what you see on television.   It's often a long process, doesn't "feel" like something intense from the start and especially with a first baby, it can take a LONG (meaning days) time.   

So looking back, I could have called my family to say, "Labor is starting!" on Friday morning.   It would have been nearly a day before baby #2 was out.   And it isn't like the family didn't know that things were happening because I was over due.

I needed the quiet time to be able to focus on making things progress. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards