Wedding Etiquette Forum

Tiered Reception - The right way to do it?

Re: Tiered Reception - The right way to do it?

• The co-works and in-town friends all young people. They all go to weddings constantly, it's the age. A lot of people have expressed they'd be glad to not have to sit through the ceremony and the dinner. They're pumped to go the party at night and not have to give a big gift and get to bring a date. And if they'd don't want to come, then there's no pressure. Most of them will be traveling over the weekend of the 4th anyway. 

I understand there's a traditional way of doing things, but weddings are evolving. So really I'm just looking for input on the best way to do it, since it is happening. It doesn't look like I'll get any helpful insight here. 
    Weddings do not do this:
  • Tiered weddings are tacky and rude. I'm young. I have been to dozens of weddings. If someone invited me to a tiered party, I'd be incredibly offended. I'd think less of that person. And I'd question if I would really want to hang around someone that thinks it's ok to treat people like that.

If you can't afford to host all of these people for the whole event, DO NOT INVITE THEM.
  • Horribly, unforgivably RUDE!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kmmssg said:

The co-works and in-town friends all young people. They all go to weddings constantly, it's the age. A lot of people have expressed they'd be glad to not have to sit through the ceremony and the dinner. They're pumped to go the party at night and not have to give a big gift and get to bring a date. And if they'd don't want to come, then there's no pressure. Most of them will be traveling over the weekend of the 4th anyway. 

I understand there's a traditional way of doing things, but weddings are evolving. So really I'm just looking for input on the best way to do it, since it is happening. It doesn't look like I'll get any helpful insight here. 

Holy shit, weddings are evolving?  when the fuck did that happen?

Have they developed speech yet?  How about thumbs?  Have they started using tools?  Do weddings have a hive mind mentality or are they individuals.  And why is no one else worried about this?

Holy shit is right!  My husband is gonna be really pissed if weddings get opposable thumbs before our cats do.  He really wants our cats to have those.

My cats are enough trouble without thumbs. I can only imagine the trouble I'd come home to if they got opposable thumbs.
  • Just say

• The co-works and in-town friends all young people. They all go to weddings constantly, it's the age. A lot of people have expressed they'd be glad to not have to sit through the ceremony and the dinner. They're pumped to go the party at night and not have to give a big gift and get to bring a date. And if they'd don't want to come, then there's no pressure. Most of them will be traveling over the weekend of the 4th anyway. 

Weddings do not do this:
    Uh oh......there may be some 'splainin' to do........ if Pinterest builds it, they WILL come.....
  • You know how weddings have "evolved" in my 15ish years as an adult?  More people are hosting them in museums, farmers markets, theaters and beaches instead of a church followed by country club.

• redoryx said:

MobKaz said:

The co-works and in-town friends all young people. They all go to weddings constantly, it's the age. A lot of people have expressed they'd be glad to not have to sit through the ceremony and the dinner. They're pumped to go the party at night and not have to give a big gift and get to bring a date. And if they'd don't want to come, then there's no pressure. Most of them will be traveling over the weekend of the 4th anyway. 

Weddings do not do this:

Uh oh......there may be some 'splainin' to do........ if Pinterest builds it, they WILL come.....

There is so much that is wrong with this picture, I don't even know where to begin. But if I had to pick a starting point it'd be asking why the non-white guy with dreads is the most devolved . 

I thought that exact same thing & was horrified but I zoomed and I think he might be a white guy w/really dark & long dreds. Still wrong.
  • JBee85JBee85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    ITT, I hate how: 

1. The OP insinuates how her co-workers "say" they are ok with a tiered wedding because they are "young people." Like what the fuck? This OP assumes we are just old women? Or that this implies that young people lack manners and socially acceptable behavioral skills? It's insulting to the posters and your co-workers. Way to go, OP!

2. Blames the gap on a Catholic ceremony. I had a Catholic wedding and was able to have my guests munch on appetizers and drink cocktails right after my ceremony, and my meals came an hour after the ceremony. Using religious ceremonies isn't a valid excuse for a gap, IMO.
  • LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015

It's not "the age"...good manners are ageless. 

• MobKaz said:

Weddings do not do this:
    The middle guy (the one looking sheepishly at the photographer) looks so much like my former boss, it's incredible.  As in, I am literally squinting at the screen trying to rule it out, and I can't.  If it weren't so random, I would send it to him and ask.  Because if it was him, I'll bet this wedding was a goldmine of appalling stories, and this photo is just scratching the surface.

Oh, and OP, don't do a tiered reception.  I don't care if you're 18 or 80, but hosting certain things for some guests and not others is really poor hosting and bound to cause hurt feelings.  Which I'm guessing is not what you're trying for.  Back to the drawing board--lots of good suggestions above.
  • I'm 26 and know that having a gap between my Catholic ceremony and reception is a no-no. Cocktails are immediately following. 

Also, I was 24 when my cousin got married and had a 4 hour gap and I still did not appreciate it. So…no. Being "young" does not mean you can go against etiquette. 

They're not evolving like this, that's for sure.  And they're young people?  Well, I must be brighter than your friends and coworkers, because even when I was 16 I'd still realize you were treating me like a second class friend.  I wouldn't accept your sort-of invitation, and I'd let our friendship fizzle.  Quickly.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • MandyMost said:
    I have a perfect solution. First, have a wedding and invite whoever you want (to the whole thing, or nothing at all). 

Then, another day, have a party. Maybe even have a party that has nothing to do with your marriage. Parties are awesome. 

Why are so many people stuck trying to force every party they've ever wanted to have into a single wedding event. People, have more parties!!!!! For more reasons!!!!
    Simple: you don't get gifts at those kinds of parties. Didn't you know: gifts are the most important part of a wedding!
  • I attended a tiered reception. 

DH got an e-mail from a couple we're acquainted with. "We're celebrating our wedding on Saturday night at [nice Irish bar], come join around 8pm!" 

So we think, oh, Irish bar, cool. We're not close enough to them to have remembered when their wedding date actually was; we figured this was just a "yay we're married, come out" kind of thing. So we show up in regular Saturday-night going-out clothes (with a card and $50 gift card, because we're nice people) and discovered it was immediately after a dinner reception held in the private dining rooms of a very nice, upscale restaurant/bar. Everyone but us was in suits and dresses. The bar was open to the others, but not to us. We felt like assholes. Other people we were acquainted with were happy to see us and we had a good time socializing, but we were very taken off-guard. Plus, one of DH's good friends who was there said, "You know, they invited like 40 people to come tonight and you guys are the only ones who did. Those people are so rude." UM WHAT?  They had it backwards for sure. 

Oh, and no thank you card was ever received...
    I was part of a tiered reception where I was part of the "VIP" list that was allowed the dinner reception.  I can't remember if I mentioned that in this thread, or one of the other tiered reception threads (why the fuck are there so many right now?)  Anyways, even as a VIP I was like, "wtf, why are they hosting people differently?  People came out here to honor them, so why are they only being given the bare minimum while I get the dinner?"  So, OP, both VIPs and the "less important" will judge you.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards