Wedding Etiquette Forum

PSA: Put away your phones!!!!

Re: PSA: Put away your phones!!!!

• If a super excited guest wanting a photo to remember the happy day was the worst thing that happened, this she was one hell of a lucky bride. Seriously FIRST WORLD PROBLEM...God forbid your guests be excited. I forgot we all have to a "present" prop in the overall ambience photo for the Facebook album. :unamused:
    It's not about being in the moment. As I said, if you were raised in a barn and don't know better than to not be texting during the ceremony, that's fine. But don't be an ass and interfere with the professional photos the couple paid thousands of dollars for because YOU can't adult for 2 minutes.
  • AddieCake said:
    I find it odd when someone doesn't ask one of their best friends, to whom they would later bitch about other guests, to be a bridesmaid, yes. It simply makes me question the validity of whether or not this bride actually said anything to you or if it's just something you made up to make your point, especially since this info wasn't included in the OP but, rather, came up when questioned.
    LOL I really couldn't care less whether or not you "question the validity" of my post on the basis that I wasn't a bridesmaid. Frankly, I think your way of thinking about bridesmaids and friends is very short-sighted and inaccurate. There are many brides who don't even have a wedding party or who have only family in their wedding party. If you don't know of any, then you've led a sheltered life.

• So let me get this straight. ... this woman got married yesterday and today she's bitching to you about this?   Yeah,  a few things at my wedding bugged me ... the next day I was too busy being married to think about it,  let alone complain to someone. 

And? Posts like yours and climbingwife crack me up. How self-centered do you have to be to assume that the way you did things is the way 100% of the world does/should do them?

Yeah, I was on cloud 9 for a month straight. I can't imagine complaining the day after my wedding about a guest trying to get a picture. How ridiculous. But to each their own. Maybe your friend has other issues to be concerned about.
  • Never said I didn't know any, so, no, I haven't led a sheltered life. And it's fine if you don't care what I think, just like it's fine for me to think you're being overly dramatic about this whole thing.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited November 2015

So let me get this straight. ... this woman got married yesterday and today she's bitching to you about this?   Yeah,  a few things at my wedding bugged me ... the next day I was too busy being married to think about it,  let alone complain to someone. 

And? Posts like yours and climbingwife crack me up. How self-centered do you have to be to assume that the way you did things is the way 100% of the world does/should do them?

----- Box -----
    I'm just trying to give you some perspective (and I assume @climbingwife is, too. Okay, those people were rude. As my mom would say, "build a bridge and get over it." I have plenty of friends / family that had things go awry at their weddings. Of the ones I talked to the next day, none of them complained to me about it.

For example, my pastor no-showed on our wedding day. No notice, nothing. He was supposed to bless the rings during the ceremony. (We had a family friend priest officiate, so it's not like the ceremony was delayed). But it hurt BADLY. I woke up the next morning in the arms of my husband and that was the LAST thing on my mind. I vented about it later, but it was MUCH after the fact.

I honestly think you and your friend need to chill out.
  • So let me get this straight. ... this woman got married yesterday and today she's bitching to you about this?   Yeah,  a few things at my wedding bugged me ... the next day I was too busy being married to think about it,  let alone complain to someone. 
    Yeah, I was on cloud 9 for a month straight. I can't imagine complaining the day after my wedding about a guest trying to get a picture. How ridiculous. But to each their own. Maybe your friend has other issues to be concerned about.
    Oh please. I find it hilarious that on this board if a bride so much as blinks the wrong way, you explode about etiquette, but when guests act rude, it's the bride who has other issues to be concerned about. Can you spell hypocrisy?

Oh please. I find it hilarious that on this board if a bride so much as blinks the wrong way, you explode about etiquette, but when guests act rude, it's the bride who has other issues to be concerned about. Can you spell hypocrisy?

I think you should change your username to Drama Queen. Jaysus. Dial it down a notch. Everyone agrees that what the guests did was rude. Talk to me after your own wedding. I will be genuinely curious to know if you noticed things like this at your own wedding and then spent the next day complaining about it.

They were rude. Get over it.
    I think you should change your username to Drama Queen. Jaysus. Dial it down a notch. Everyone agrees that what the guests did was rude. Talk to me after your own wedding. I will be genuinely curious to know if you noticed things like this at your own wedding and then spent the next day complaining about it. They were rude. Get over it.
    You first.

If we're all in agreement that the guests were rude, then are you arguing just to argue? Sure as hell seems that way because the only point my post was intended to make is that the guests were rude. That's it. I have no idea why people decided "yeah, the guests were rude, but let's argue about it anyway" except that some of you just love to argue, even when you agree.
  • Go back and read the post. Like I said before, you're all over the place. Chill out.

-----Box-----

Everyone agrees that the guests were rude.

Here's the thing, though. You said in your OP "If this was my wedding, I would have been so furious with these people." We are giving you perspective that this really shouldn't be something worth getting furious over. And it is ABSOLUTELY poor etiquette to get furious with your guests over it.
    -----Box----- Everyone agrees that the guests were rude. Here's the thing, though. You said in your OP "If this was my wedding, I would have been so furious with these people." We are giving you perspective that this really shouldn't be something worth getting furious over. And it is ABSOLUTELY poor etiquette to get furious with your guests over it.
    You can't be serious??? A bride isn't allowed to be upset when guests break etiquette??? Yep, like I said. Let's spell hypocrisy.
  • banana468 said:
    The title of your post is put away your phones. Not cameras. And if it was your wedding, you'd barely even notice.
    This. It's quite possible someone leaned into the aisle to take a pic when I walked in. I would've never known. All I remember seeing was the look on my husband's face. DH's crazy uncle walked up the aisle as the bridal party processed in. It didn't ruin any of the pics from the professional photographer.
    Then your wedding wasn't like this wedding, because the bride today couldn't even see her groom's face. And I would bet it did ruin some of the shots because the photographer was pissed too and ended up pushing aside one of the ladies who stood up so he could get his shot.
    Then the photographer was an asshole. People do this all the time. Instead of being upset at it, work with it. I remember DH commenting that he didn't get to see me coming down the aisle but I found that it just made me more excited as I walked with my dad. The moment that we met one another was that much more special when I finally saw his face. If I saw my photographer get physical worth one of my guests we would have words.
    When I pay my photographer thousands of dollars for photos, I expect him to get around asshole guests who get in front of him, even if it means nudging them to the side.
    So if a guest files a lawsuit against your photographer for shoving someone, will you cover the legal costs?

Serioulsy, OP ... chill out.  People are going to do stupid, rude stuff.  If someone is going to take out their phone for a pic during a wedding, a whiny rant like this isn't going to make them change their minds.  
    He didn't shove her. He nudged her to get by her.

And there are literally hundreds of posts here with people giving advice. So while you consider it a whiny rant, I consider it an acceptable PSA on poor etiquette, like 90% of the other posts on this forum.
    This is why I said CALM DOWN before interacting with people on the internet. First you said "pushed aside," then you said "nudged," did you too realize how dramatic you sounded and decided to clarify?

OP, this is what happens when you offer up your opinion on a public forum that isn't Facebook where it's mostly your friends and family available to validate everything you say. Everybody here AGREED WITH YOU from the beginning that people who text during a wedding and jump in the aisle for pictures are rude, and because you took issue with the specific ways in which we responded to you, we now have 40+ replies to this post and you've done nothing but make yourself look like a drama queen who's contradicting herself left and right. Time to log off and have some wine.
  • edited November 2015

banana468 said:

The title of your post is put away your phones. Not cameras. And if it was your wedding, you'd barely even notice.

This. It's quite possible someone leaned into the aisle to take a pic when I walked in. I would've never known. All I remember seeing was the look on my husband's face. DH's crazy uncle walked up the aisle as the bridal party processed in. It didn't ruin any of the pics from the professional photographer.

Then your wedding wasn't like this wedding, because the bride today couldn't even see her groom's face. And I would bet it did ruin some of the shots because the photographer was pissed too and ended up pushing aside one of the ladies who stood up so he could get his shot.
    Then the photographer was an asshole.

People do this all the time. Instead of being upset at it, work with it. I remember DH commenting that he didn't get to see me coming down the aisle but I found that it just made me more excited as I walked with my dad. The moment that we met one another was that much more special when I finally saw his face.

If I saw my photographer get physical worth one of my guests we would have words.

When I pay my photographer thousands of dollars for photos, I expect him to get around asshole guests who get in front of him, even if it means nudging them to the side.

So if a guest files a lawsuit against your photographer for shoving someone, will you cover the legal costs?

Serioulsy, OP ... chill out.  People are going to do stupid, rude stuff.  If someone is going to take out their phone for a pic during a wedding, a whiny rant like this isn't going to make them change their minds.  

And there are literally hundreds of posts here with people giving advice. So while you consider it a whiny rant, I consider it an acceptable PSA on poor etiquette, like 90% of the other posts on this forum.

----- Box -----
    I went back and read your other posts. You said, " ... the photographer was pissed too and ended up pushing aside one of the ladies who stood up so he could get his shot."

Under no circumstances should a vendor deliberately touch a guest more than tapping him / her on the shoulder. And you should never condone this with your photographer. Period.
  • edited November 2015

So let me get this straight. ... this woman got married yesterday and today she's bitching to you about this?   Yeah,  a few things at my wedding bugged me ... the next day I was too busy being married to think about it,  let alone complain to someone. 

-----Box-----

Everyone agrees that the guests were rude.

Here's the thing, though. You said in your OP "If this was my wedding, I would have been so furious with these people." We are giving you perspective that this really shouldn't be something worth getting furious over. And it is ABSOLUTELY poor etiquette to get furious with your guests over it.

You can't be serious??? A bride isn't allowed to be upset when guests break etiquette??? Yep, like I said. Let's spell hypocrisy.

----- Box -----
    A person is allowed to feel however they feel. ETA: I learnedthis from my therapist. And I can go much longer than 20 minutes without checking my phone.

For the millionth time, we are just trying to give you perspective and let you know that, in the grand scheme of things, this is not something worth getting furious (your word) over.
  • banana468 said:
    First it's about the phones but then it was really about all cameras. Then the photographer shoved but he really just nudged. Exactly what is going on?
    Maybe try a reading comprehension class? I never said shoved. I said pushed aside. As in he pushed ASIDE a guest, like nudged to get out of the way. You drama queens changed it to shove, not me. And I never said it's all about the cameras either. I said that I would say the exact same thing if it was cameras they were using instead of phones. But since they were using phones, this thread is about phones. Again, try a reading comprehension class.
  • banana468 said:
    Then the photographer was an asshole. People do this all the time. Instead of being upset at it, work with it. I remember DH commenting that he didn't get to see me coming down the aisle but I found that it just made me more excited as I walked with my dad. The moment that we met one another was that much more special when I finally saw his face. If I saw my photographer get physical worth one of my guests we would have words.

This is why I said CALM DOWN before interacting with people on the internet. First you said "pushed aside," then you said "nudged," did you too realize how dramatic you sounded and decided to clarify?

OP, this is what happens when you offer up your opinion on a public forum that isn't Facebook where it's mostly your friends and family available to validate everything you say. Everybody here AGREED WITH YOU from the beginning that people who text during a wedding and jump in the aisle for pictures are rude, and because you took issue with the specific ways in which we responded to you, we now have 40+ replies to this post and you've done nothing but make yourself look like a drama queen who's contradicting herself left and right. Time to log off and have some wine.
    And this is why I said give me a freaking break. This is how it works on here and I'm perfectly prepared for it. Someone makes a post, someone who wants to argue replies only to argue, then 10 other people jump on the OP just because they love to argue too. This is why TK has the reputation it does. Doesn't bug me one bit because I know this is what you guys do. I just don't intend to humor you. I will post about this and other things as I see fit and will reply as I see fit as well, especially to people whose only purpose in posting on this forum is to argue with other people.
  • banana468 said:

----- Box ----- I went back and read your other posts. You said, " ... the photographer was pissed too and ended up pushing aside one of the ladies who stood up so he could get his shot." Under no circumstances should a vendor deliberately touch a guest more than tapping him / her on the shoulder. And you should never condone this with your photographer. Period.
    Quit telling me what I should or shouldn't condone because I'm pretty sure that's against etiquette too. H Y P O C R I S Y.
  • First it's about the phones but then it was really about all cameras. Then the photographer shoved but he really just nudged. Exactly what is going on?
    Hard to tell for sure, but possibly OP is reminding us why we suspected her as a catfish or troll when she arrived last month...
    Pretty sure you haven't been elected spokesperson for the forum.
  • banana468 said:

----- Box ----- I went back and read your other posts. You said, " ... the photographer was pissed too and ended up pushing aside one of the ladies who stood up so he could get his shot." Under no circumstances should a vendor deliberately touch a guest more than tapping him / her on the shoulder. And you should never condone this with your photographer. Period.
    Quit telling me what I should or shouldn't condone because I'm pretty sure that's against etiquette too. H Y P O C R I S Y.

• edited November 2015

banana468 said:

First it's about the phones but then it was really about all cameras. Then the photographer shoved but he really just nudged.

Exactly what is going on?

Hard to tell for sure, but possibly OP is reminding us why we suspected her as a catfish or troll when she arrived last month...

Let's take a vote then :lol: bc I know I'm not the only one who saw through your bull in those first 3 threads.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• First it's about the phones but then it was really about all cameras. Then the photographer shoved but he really just nudged. Exactly what is going on?
    Are we taking nominations?  I nominate @photokitty
    Let's take a vote then :lol: bc I know I'm not the only one who saw through your bull in those first 3 threads.
    I really couldn't care less. Again, I knew what I was getting into when I began posting here. It's a mob mentality where everyone enjoys ganging up on people, then if the OP complains, they all band together and say "oh no one was ganging up on you. We're really just trying to help you. You're just too stupid to see it." LOL works on some of the naive types.

This whole thread devolved because people who agreed with my point chose instead to nitpick and start an argument because they like to argue and more and more joined in for the same reason, while maintaining "oh we agree with you." If that isn't f-ed up, I don't know what is.
    I really couldn't care less. Again, I knew what I was getting into when I began posting here. It's a mob mentality where everyone enjoys ganging up on people, then if the OP complains, they all band together and say "oh no one was ganging up on you. We're really just trying to help you. You're just too stupid to see it." LOL works on some of the naive types.

This whole thread devolved because people who agreed with my point chose instead to nitpick and start an argument because they like to argue and more and more joined in for the same reason, while maintaining "oh we agree with you." If that isn't f-ed up, I don't know what is.

• edited November 2015
    First it's about the phones but then it was really about all cameras. Then the photographer shoved but he really just nudged. Exactly what is going on?

Yep, I'm totally the first one to band together and gang up on people...yep, that's me. (damn, I'm on mobile so my pink comic sans isn't showing up, on poop) I think you knew what you were getting into when you began posting on here, bc you are playing us - but I didn't pile on when you were called out on the beginning, also never stopped side eyeing you. This tantrum isn't convincing me I'm wrong. Also, as a photog I've always sided with guests and believed a professional photog can work on all situations and without touching guests. My previous posts on this topic have given the same advice time after time.
    Again, couldn't care less that you are side-eyeing me. I really couldn't. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I was posting my opinion on rude guests and regardless of what the photographer can or cannot do, it's never okay to behave like that. You "siding" with the guests only tells us that you approve rude behavior.

Yep, I'm totally the first one to band together and gang up on people...yep, that's me. (damn, I'm on mobile so my pink comic sans isn't showing up, on poop) I think you knew what you were getting into when you began posting on here, bc you are playing us - but I didn't pile on when you were called out on the beginning, also never stopped side eyeing you. This tantrum isn't convincing me I'm wrong. Also, as a photog I've always sided with guests and believed a professional photog can work on all situations and without touching guests. My previous posts on this topic have given the same advice time after time.
    Again, couldn't care less that you are side-eyeing me. I really couldn't. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I was posting my opinion on rude guests and regardless of what the photographer can or cannot do, it's never okay to behave like that. You "siding" with the guests only tells us that you approve rude behavior.
    Yeah, now I'm DEFINITELY convinced that you're a troll.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards