Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rude to skip wedding to prepare for mine?

Re: Rude to skip wedding to prepare for mine?

• Options
    They are SO wrong. Passive-aggressive move- make the bride produce a copy of her marriage certificate from the county/state before she can enter your ceremony space. Married couples only, bitch! 

(Snarky snark- at least where I am, your officiant has to file the signed license with the county for you to be officially recognized as married, and that can take varying amounts of time for the county to then be able to give you your marriage certificate, sooooooooo.)

• Options
    Wow.  I really hope your FI plans on skipping this as well!
  • Options
    I never cared about going, and the point about the groom was "that's nice he considered the fact that I may need to plan on attending/not attending because it's a week before the wedding" he's a very close friend of FI's but I've just never hung out with him. 

What he said to FI was "Bride decided to only invite married couples to keep the wedding small since her parents are paying" Yes, he could talk to her, but that's what he said, I don;t know them well enough to know who calls the shots.

I think what they're doing is rude, yes.
    But I don't really care- sounds mean, but I've got my wedding a week later, my best friend's 2 months before and a handful of others next year- I will enjoy not going! And I'm not concerned that the bride may be 'offended' I skipped her wedding when she's attending mine! 

• Options

Ya, once he told me I was like 'Wait you didn't say I was thinking of possibly not going, right?' He assured me he hadn't, but friend had called as he didn't realize bride wasn't inviting Fiancees/SOs, and didn't want me/FI to plan on me going knowing our wedding was a week later (groom is awesome- must make a point to get to know him better!)

As far as I've heard, yes, they're both planning on attending our wedding! 
    I am unsure if FI will attend their wedding, not my call, but he did find it odd that you could 'cut out' people like that, to which I replied 'Well, you can do whatever you want, but it's horribly rude and that's what people will remember!'

I fail to see how the groom is a good person in this scenario? It's his wedding too and regardless of whose "decision" it was to not invite all couples, he's still complicit in it and it reflects poorly on him too.

And in terms of it being "not your call" that your Fi may decide to still go, that's true...but I would be pretty concerned if someone I was getting married to was okay with their friends disrespecting me like that. 
    They're not singling me out and not inviting me, Bride said no unmarried couples. Do I think it's rude? Yes of course, but I was already not really wanting to go, so no biggie for me. 
    I would never do this to my guests, and don't think anyone should, but I don't feel disrespected. If I was purposely left off while other SOs/Fiances were invited? Ya. Then I'd ask FI to reconsider going, but really, I just don't care enough haha
  • Options
    Well, good thing I don't know many/any people going to the wedding! And I'm really not concerned with other's opinions of my relationship, I know what's up and that's what matters!
  • Options

Ya, once he told me I was like 'Wait you didn't say I was thinking of possibly not going, right?' He assured me he hadn't, but friend had called as he didn't realize bride wasn't inviting Fiancees/SOs, and didn't want me/FI to plan on me going knowing our wedding was a week later (groom is awesome- must make a point to get to know him better!)

As far as I've heard, yes, they're both planning on attending our wedding! 
    I am unsure if FI will attend their wedding, not my call, but he did find it odd that you could 'cut out' people like that, to which I replied 'Well, you can do whatever you want, but it's horribly rude and that's what people will remember!'

I fail to see how the groom is a good person in this scenario? It's his wedding too and regardless of whose "decision" it was to not invite all couples, he's still complicit in it and it reflects poorly on him too.

And in terms of it being "not your call" that your Fi may decide to still go, that's true...but I would be pretty concerned if someone I was getting married to was okay with their friends disrespecting me like that. 
    They're not singling me out and not inviting me, Bride said no unmarried couples. Do I think it's rude? Yes of course, but I was already not really wanting to go, so no biggie for me. 
    I would never do this to my guests, and don't think anyone should, but I don't feel disrespected. If I was purposely left off while other SOs/Fiances were invited? Ya. Then I'd ask FI to reconsider going, but really, I just don't care enough haha
    But you were left off of their guest list while they know full well that in 7 days they are both invited to YOUR wedding.

Your FI"s "good friend" left his "good friend's" FI off of his wedding guestlist, knowing full well that in 7 days he'll be attending the wedding of said "good friend."

Your FI's friend is a dick. Period.  And if this were my DH's friend, I'd tell my DH, "Hey, your friend is a dick.  He's being totally disrespectful of your friendship with him and our relationship.  I think you should tell him to GTFO and not attend his wedding."

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'd never set boundaries like that, everyone I'm inviting is getting a +1 if they don't have an SO.
    I don't really think it's my place, or FI's place, to tell people who they should invite to the wedding. If a friend asked me, I'd tell them the truth, but I don't think calling up and saying 'only inviting married people is rude- wth?' is the solution.
    Even if we were getting married the week before, neither of us would attend as we'd be on our honeymoon... 
  • Options
    I'd never set boundaries like that, everyone I'm inviting is getting a +1 if they don't have an SO.
    I don't really think it's my place, or FI's place, to tell people who they should invite to the wedding. If a friend asked me, I'd tell them the truth, but I don't think calling up and saying 'only inviting married people is rude- wth?' is the solution.
    Even if we were getting married the week before, neither of us would attend as we'd be on our honeymoon... 
    No, and I definitely don't think you should have anything to do with it.  But you don't think that between now and October, your fiance, in regular interaction with his buddy, can't say, "Dude, I'm not saying you need to do anything, but I'm just saying that you might make some people a bit annoyed that their fiance or girlfriend of many years can't come to your wedding together.  It's your friendships.  But I'm just saying I wouldn't do that to my friends" in dude speak, of course?  I mean in 10 months, a friend can't find the time to tell another friend that "dude, I don't care, but Tony and his fiancee, Tina, who are getting married in November after us might care.  And you don't want to piss off Tina."
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    No, and I definitely don't think you should have anything to do with it.  But you don't think that between now and October, your fiance, in regular interaction with his buddy, can't say, "Dude, I'm not saying you need to do anything, but I'm just saying that you might make some people a bit annoyed that their fiance or girlfriend of many years can't come to your wedding together.  It's your friendships.  But I'm just saying I wouldn't do that to my friends" in dude speak, of course?  I mean in 10 months, a friend can't find the time to tell another friend that "dude, I don't care, but Tony and his fiancee, Tina, who are getting married in November after us might care.  And you don't want to piss off Tina."
    Why does it have to be on Tina? If OP's FI doesn't care about the dig to their relationship, then leave it alone.

Passively-aggressively putting it on "Tony", or worse, his FI, isn't fair. 
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    Why does it have to be on Tina? If OP's FI doesn't care about the dig to their relationship, then leave it alone.

Passively-aggressively putting it on "Tony", or worse, his FI, isn't fair. 
    Because once I decided this fake couple was called Tony and Tina, I remembered the "play" in Chicago called Tony And Tina's Wedding.  Tony was a bit of a pushover and Tina was incredibly outspoken.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ok, sorry I'm not as upset as I should be, bigger things to worry about!
    You missed the point.  And it's entirely possible to plan a wedding and also recognize when so called friends are being asshats, lol.

If you (general sense) are good friends with someone, you should feel comfortable enough to let them know when something they do is offensive to you, including things related to their wedding.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Wow, that is so rude. What I find ridiculous is that they wouldn't reconsider inviting you being that your wedding is a week later. What kind of shit is that? But, whatever. 

Enjoy planning your wedding, OP.Good riddance to that couple.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    You missed the point.  And it's entirely possible to plan a wedding and also recognize when so called friends are being asshats, lol.

If you (general sense) are good friends with someone, you should feel comfortable enough to let them know when something they do is offensive to you, including things related to their wedding.

BOX

True, except I don't consider these people friends... as I mentioned, I've seen groom a handful of times, but not in the last 2 years, and bride I've met ONCE for about 10 minutes- again, over two years ago.

If this was a friend (someone whom I've seen more than a total 2 hours, ever, someone who's last name I know, someone I could pick out in a lineup of similar looking people, someone who's phone number I have..) I'd say something, but they're not.  So not my place. 
    FI could say something, sure. I've told him it's rude, and shouldn't be done, but whether or not he does anything with that information is up to him. 
  • Options

BOX

True, except I don't consider these people friends... as I mentioned, I've seen groom a handful of times, but not in the last 2 years, and bride I've met ONCE for about 10 minutes- again, over two years ago.

If this was a friend (someone whom I've seen more than a total 2 hours, ever, someone who's last name I know, someone I could pick out in a lineup of similar looking people, someone who's phone number I have..) I'd say something, but they're not.  So not my place. 
    FI could say something, sure. I've told him it's rude, and shouldn't be done, but whether or not he does anything with that information is up to him. 
    The groom is your FI's friend, though.  That's the problem.

But it sounds like they aren't even close friends anymore since you haven't seen the groom in 2 years, so maybe the friendship is already fading and then why bother saying anything.

• Options
    They are close friends, see each other a few times a month, which considering they live over an hour apart, is pretty good IMO!

*I* just haven't seen him in 2 years... which is why I don't consider him a friend of mine. Surprisingly, we don't do everything together! We both have our own hobbies (show jumping, mountain biking) which in addition to work, take up the majority of our time! 
  • Options
    Even if you don't care because you don't really know or see them, it's shitty, and your fiancé should be disgusted with his friend. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    They are close friends, see each other a few times a month, which considering they live over an hour apart, is pretty good IMO!

*I* just haven't seen him in 2 years... which is why I don't consider him a friend of mine. Surprisingly, we don't do everything together! We both have our own hobbies (show jumping, mountain biking) which in addition to work, take up the majority of our time! 
    You are still entirely missing the point.

Your FI's close friend is being a dick and disrespecting your FI.  How you feel about it, the fact that you don't consider this dude a friend, that you never see him, that you and your FI aren't joined at the hip is entirely irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make.

This friend is still treating your FI like crap.  That's a shame.  I don't like it when my close friends treat me like crap.
    But you're missing MY point... FI doesn't care! At all! He was already planning on going alone! He doesn't feel disrespected... is that wrong? No. He's allowed to feel whatever he wants! If he doesn't feel 'like crap' why stir the pot? It's not his place.  If his other friends feel like crap, maybe they'll bring it up!
    According to him his friend was very apologetic, but that since her family is paying he isn't getting much say in the guest list- not a valid excuse, IMO, but groom does realize what they're doing isn't cool. 

• Options
    He doesn't feel disrespected? I can't wrap my brain around your fiancé not feeling disrespected that his "close friend" isn't inviting the woman he is marrying a week later to this wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards